ADVERTISEMENT

Boogie Fland - Here comes a big one!

… WGAF about the NIL details and possibilities in this thread. Start another NIL thread.
I am actually very interested in how NIL "works" and is used in recruiting. Coach Geez says NIL discussions are not even supposed to happen prior to commitment, but I believe that is happening every day. I know one of the IU pundits said he knew we had MM when a particular booster began following him and he reciprocated, but I'm sure any interaction was about their mutual love for jazz. The problem with starting a thread here, is that I think there are precious few on here who actually have any idea about how NIL is being used in the recruitment. Another example, I was told our NIL "bankroll" is about $5 million annually. So, how would that work when recruiting a 5 star guy for next year? Let's assume all NIL funds are allocated for this year, and to get said 5 star, he has a certain expectation for NIL. The collectives assume MM and KW are leaving so they can allocate their NIL amounts to the new guy... but then they don't leave. And, to stay they obviously will continue to expect their NIL amount, which you've now promised to the new guy. No one's been able to answer that scenario for me, but I've come to guess that NIL is year to year and each year you start back over. So, if that happened, I'd guess either the new guy, or returning guy is leaving, or a booster would have to step up and cover the difference. Probably gonna make for a whole lot more movement of top guys, which we've basically seen with guys like MM, KW, Dickinson, Love, etc... all moving around.

It would be so easy for Me, Woody, or Cook to work around this. I have literally had conversations with multiple lawyers on how almost anything can be done now legally with NIL. Very easy to work around this, like extremely.
Lol.

By rule, Woody could not facilitate a private plane to go pick up a prospective high school recruit an hour after he committed not could you or Cook as boosters of the university. It's a clear and written violation in the rule book. Now whether or not the NCAA chooses to enforce such rule is up for your own debate, but for the 4th time, your statement is just absolutely and unequivocally false.

Keep digging.

I am actually very interested in how NIL "works" and is used in recruiting. Coach Geez says NIL discussions are not even supposed to happen prior to commitment, but I believe that is happening every day. I know one of the IU pundits said he knew we had MM when a particular booster began following him and he reciprocated, but I'm sure any interaction was about their mutual love for jazz. The problem with starting a thread here, is that I think there are precious few on here who actually have any idea about how NIL is being used in the recruitment. Another example, I was told our NIL "bankroll" is about $5 million annually. So, how would that work when recruiting a 5 star guy for next year? Let's assume all NIL funds are allocated for this year, and to get said 5 star, he has a certain expectation for NIL. The collectives assume MM and KW are leaving so they can allocate their NIL amounts to the new guy... but then they don't leave. And, to stay they obviously will continue to expect their NIL amount, which you've now promised to the new guy. No one's been able to answer that scenario for me, but I've come to guess that NIL is year to year and each year you start back over. So, if that happened, I'd guess either the new guy, or returning guy is leaving, or a booster would have to step up and cover the difference. Probably gonna make for a whole lot more movement of top guys, which we've basically seen with guys like MM, KW, Dickinson, Love, etc... all moving around.
I'm sure IU has a very good NIL coordinator who does a more than ample job of presenting collective allocations from previous years and does a good job of projecting figures for the incoming year. No I don't think Mark Cuban and MM or BF are directly brokering deals while they're being recruited. I believe there is a vast understanding that you will be "taken care of" if you commit to IU and the money and deals will take care of itself, but I've seen a few suggest that Boogie Fland is holding out this week waiting for a better NIL deal to present itself. I don't think that is the case. Boogie knows he is going to be compensated handsomely on which ever school he chooses.

I know you have hired lawyers and done NIL deals. Wait I have. You are so ignorant, I don’t have time for you.

Just a thought, but wouldn't a lawyer have to approve any NIL deal and then the kid sign said deal and then if IU be involved at all, IU compliance would have to look it over and be okay with it so Boogie wouldn't jeopardize his eligibility.

From my experience with lawyers, and I'm going to to guess an athletic compliance office, nothing would get done that quickly.

I could be wrong though.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
My very strong, somewhat educated, guess is that number you mention is a very rough guideline. But its not any sort of hard cap or anything. If we get Boogie and Queen...and then for whatever reason this next spring Cooper Flagg and Dylan Harper both were to express real interest in IU...they'd go back to the machine, and find more money for them...without question.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I want people to understand reality. being a hypocrite fan is not a good look. I need to educate our fans for when they represent my university in public :).

You need a mix in my opinion. One thing that can't be argued tho, you need the top talent to get to final fours and Nattys.
When you say top talent do you mean one and done 5 stars? UConn Miami didn’t have that last year. I think it’s key to have great talent but it’s how you build the team that is important. Next year if we have McNeeley, Queen and Fland starting next to Galloway and MK. Ton of talent but doesn’t that get you to a final 4?

I'm sure IU has a very good NIL coordinator who does a more than ample job of presenting collective allocations from previous years and does a good job of projecting figures for the incoming year. No I don't think Mark Cuban and MM or BF are directly brokering deals while they're being recruited. I believe there is a vast understanding that you will be "taken care of" if you commit to IU and the money and deals will take care of itself, but I've seen a few suggest that Boogie Fland is holding out this week waiting for a better NIL deal to present itself. I don't think that is the case. Boogie knows he is going to be compensated handsomely on which ever school he chooses.
Hard for me to believe in this day and age anyone is committing based on the promise "you'll be taken care of". There was already the case of the Florida QB commit who asked out of his LOI because his NIL deal, purported to be 13 mil over 4 years, fell apart. Again, I can't believe he signed the LOI without knowing some details of that, beyond, "you'll be taken care of". I know that amount has been questioned, but that's staggering to think about year to year. As I said, I was told our Bball NIL annual bankroll is 5-6 million. I would think in football at a school like UF, that would mean theirs is more in the 20-30 million range, again if that amount is correct.

Lol.

By rule, Woody could not facilitate a private plane to go pick up a prospective high school recruit an hour after he committed not could you or Cook as boosters of the university. It's a clear and written violation in the rule book. Now whether or not the NCAA chooses to enforce such rule is up for your own debate, but for the 4th time, your statement is just absolutely and unequivocally false.

Keep digging.
I just told you it wouldn't be anyone of us directly you dope. If any of us wanted to get it done, easily doable without any trace of it being done through us. Get it geezer?>. Welcome to 2023

My very strong, somewhat educated, guess is that number you mention is a very rough guideline. But its not any sort of hard cap or anything. If we get Boogie and Queen...and then for whatever reason this next spring Cooper Flagg and Dylan Harper both were to express real interest in IU...they'd go back to the machine, and find more money for them...without question.
without question. Just as I think they'll have to if someone they thought was leaving, decides to stay.

Just a thought, but wouldn't a lawyer have to approve any NIL deal and then the kid sign said deal and then if IU be involved at all, IU compliance would have to look it over and be okay with it so Boogie wouldn't jeopardize his eligibility.

From my experience with lawyers, and I'm going to to guess an athletic compliance office, nothing would get done that quickly.

I could be wrong though.
I'm golfing buddies with Mike Petrie, chairman of Merchants Bank who have signed several Indiana student athletes to NIL deals while enrolled in Bloomington, namely Race and TJD who have been brokered deals in the past close to 6 figures. IU has more or less told Merchants to stay away from prospective high school recruits given Petrie's donor status for this exact reason.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie

I could be wrong though.
IU is not allowed to be involved in the deals in anyway. That is why it is the wild Wild West.

I just told you it wouldn't be anyone of us directly you dope. If any of us wanted to get it done, easily doable without any trace of it being done through us. Get it geezer?>. Welcome to 2023
Sean I wouldn't trust you fetching the trash cans at the end of the driveway let alone anything "easily doable without any trace".

Stick to the Taco Bell team fund, Sport.

• Haha
Reactions: Fox2monk
Sean I wouldn't trust you fetching the trash cans at the end of the driveway let alone anything "easily doable without any trace".

Stick to the Taco Bell team fund, Sport.
Im glad an old man wouldn't trust me fetching the trash. I do million dollar deals on almost a weekly basis. I have over 100 lawyers in my phone. I will talk to about 5 today alone. Stick to being retired. Ill stick to skyrocketing my career in global business.

When you say top talent do you mean one and done 5 stars? UConn Miami didn’t have that last year. I think it’s key to have great talent but it’s how you build the team that is important. Next year if we have McNeeley, Queen and Fland starting next to Galloway and MK. Ton of talent but doesn’t that get you to a final 4?
I would love to find out!:)

Those are outliers. If you look at history most of the time you need elite guys with veterans. UConn and Miami had top 50 guys all over their roster. Many veterans. Hell Miami had the acc player of the year.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Im glad an old man wouldn't trust me fetching the trash. I do million dollar deals on almost a weekly basis. I have over 100 lawyers in my phone. I will talk to about 5 today alone. Stick to being retired. Ill stick to skyrocketing my career in global business.
LOL

Those are outliers. If you look at history most of the time you need elite guys with veterans. UConn and Miami had top 50 guys all over their roster. Many veterans. Hell Miami had the acc player of the year.
Yes but veteran I guess is my point. I don’t see guys like McNeeley, Fland being at IU longer than 2 years if that.

There's only one Geezer

UJNwbh1.jpg

He was a 4 star 55 overall recruit.
Who led them to a national championship and was a lottery pick. What's his rating have to do with being an elite player?

Emoni Bates was a top 5 guy by all the major services and he barely squeaked into the NBA draft. Is he elite, but not Hawkins due to his ranking?

Lander should have taught you something about rankings and stars.

Who led them to a national championship and was a lottery pick. What's his rating have to do with being an elite player?

Emoni Bates was a top 5 guy by all the major services and he barely squeaked into the NBA draft. Is he elite, but not Hawkins due to his ranking?

I think the formula is pretty obvious, at this point...for making final fours and/or winning national titles.

1. You need NBA level talent
2. A significant portion of your minutes need to be filled by non freshman players.

1 is the most important...by a long shot. But if you look at the last 20 or so national title winners, there are only a couple that I'd say were "led" by freshmen. Duke's Okafor/Jones team...Anthony Davis Kentucky team...and then all the way back to Carmelo's Syracuse team. So 8 or 10 to 1 are the running odds of the natty being a team that's led by non freshmen.

Yes but veteran I guess is my point. I don’t see guys like McNeeley, Fland being at IU longer than 2 years if that.
Doubtful with Fland, but a lot of "experts" think LM will be at least a 2 year guy, if not 3+. And, Reanu was a 5 star, and can't know how this year will go, but I think again, most experts would say he'll likely be back next year, so that's 3 years for a 5 star guy. I agree for the most part you have to have some experience and upperclassmen leadership or influence, but it can take various forms. Next year we could have 5 year guys in TG and AL, 3 year guys in MR, CJG, KB so that could easily project as a team with both veteran leadership and top talent.

I think the formula is pretty obvious, at this point...for making final fours and/or winning national titles.

1. You need NBA level talent
2. A significant portion of your minutes need to be filled by non freshman players.

1 is the most important...by a long shot. But if you look at the last 20 or so national title winners, there are only a couple that I'd say were "led" by freshmen. Duke's Okafor/Jones team...Anthony Davis Kentucky team...and then all the way back to Carmelo's Syracuse team. So 8 or 10 to 1 are the running odds of the natty being a team that's led by non freshmen.
That NBA level talent has to include backcourt players. Guard play wins in March.

He was a sophomore who had a great year. Yes. Also to your examples yes those situations happen but for most part 5 stars are elite talents coming in. Bates is an elite talent just a head case

That NBA level talent has to include backcourt players. Guard play wins in March.
agreed. it will be interesting (to me) to watch PU this year. I don't know anything about their new adds, but I just don't think they can get to a F4 with a Smith/Loyer backcourt. But, from reports and their media day stuff, they certainly seem determined to prove the world wrong, and right now, I think thats again going to be there starting backcourt. Personally, I think they'll struggle to get back to last year's regular season accomplishments. They had an extremely easy unbalanced conference schedule and aren't going to sneak up on anyone this year. I already think Painter is a great coach, but if he can get this squad to another B10 title and a F4, that would be amazing and his best work. (I can already hear the complaints about PU discussion in a thread about BF... ).

Reactions: hookyIU1990
He was a sophomore who had a great year. Yes. Also to your examples yes those situations happen but for most part 5 stars are elite talents coming in. Bates is an elite talent just a head case
So again, what's his (Hawkins) ranking as a HS player got to do with whether or not he's now an elite talent?

Players are allowed to develop and reach their potential. Analysts get it wrong all the time. Those stars are merely indicators and educated guesses.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
So again, what's his (Hawkins) ranking as a HS player got to do with whether or not he's now an elite talent?

Players are allowed to develop and reach their potential. Analysts get it wrong all the time. Those stars are merely indicators and educated guesses.
Ok take this example out. I’m talking more so about recruiting like UK and Duke with a roster full of 5 stars and one and done. If that’s Woody’s plan then hopefully it works. I just think we need to also think about the entire roster. Have some glue guys as well that care about the uniform.

hate to go off topic...but any updated, reliable news on Fland? Or just more speculation from self-employed broadcasters streaming from their basements/backyards?
Don't think it's that new or different, but the article I think was just posted and from Rival's Rob Cassidy. I heard him on Jim Coyle earlier this week (yesterday?) and this is exactly what he said on there. He still sees UK as the leader, IU closing the gap and Bama as a long shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT