ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Maher on Trans Wars

Believe me, I would love to add parties. With first past the post, I don't know how.

Until 1980ish, there were liberal Republicans and conservative Democrats. We could work across aisles. But the parties were on cleansing sprees. I think that is where we screwed up.
Co-sign

Reactions: Indyhorn
CO is right, Maher is decidedly NOT modern liberal and why people keep saying that is crazy. Here are some of his own words:

Indeed, when asked, he has been explicit about his ideology: “I’m a libertarian,” he said to Rolling Stone (4/13/11). “I would be a Republican if they would. Which means that I like the Barry Goldwater Republican Party, even the Reagan Republican Party.”​

“I want a mean old man to watch my money,” he added. “Because government is a sieve that takes as much money as it can and gives it away, usually needlessly.”​

He's only influential to the mentally weak.

Reactions: Indianaftw
I think we can all agree the elected Conservative party has moved further right than the elected left has moved left.
Can you provide examples for the right ? Some examples for the left. Defund the police. Trans issues. Censoring of speech. Covid vaccination policies that discriminated against minorities the most. Covid school closings that discriminated against minorities the most.

Reactions: Crayfish57 and DANC
Can you provide examples for the right ? Some examples for the left. Defund the police. Trans issues. Censoring of speech. Covid vaccination policies that discriminated against minorities the most. Covid school closings that discriminated against minorities the most.
The largest social safety net in 90 years.

Reactions: stollcpa
I wonder why regional parties never caught on. They fail for president elections. But the needs of the east coast are different than the needs of the south which are different from the rustbelt which is different from the plains. A plains party could represent their specific interests by trading votes with the south, for example.

Instead we elect people who have their first duty to the national party.

The supremes will never go for it, make external contributions illegal. Force the Missouri candidate raise their money in Missouri. That should weaken the power of the party.

Reactions: mcmurtry66 and DANC
Correct. With Goldwater it's not surprising. He was a liberal. And would more than likely be a libertarian or Democrat today.

Reagan baffles me.
Goldwater was far more libertarian, he hated government involvement in almost anything including the Voting Rights Act. Anyone arguing against VRA with federalism wasn't liberal. But it amazes me how many Republicans I meet who say they are libertarian, a fair number really like the Pauls.

I wonder why regional parties never caught on. They fail for president elections. But the needs of the east coast are different than the needs of the south which are different from the rustbelt which is different from the plains. A plains party could represent their specific interests by trading votes with the south, for example.

Instead we elect people who have their first duty to the national party.

The supremes will never go for it, make external contributions illegal. Force the Missouri candidate raise their money in Missouri. That should weaken the power of the party.
I agree in theory but I think there are more divisions. I know I rag incessantly on the progressives and the woke cult but the Republican Party is obviously an odd mix too at the moment - capitalist elites and country boys. Strange bedfellows. We see it here in MO in Hawley and the Gov. Hawley is a snob school lawyer politician while our gov was a sheriff and longtime state rep with no degree. And we have Cori Bush. Cori Bush, Hawley and the gov couldn't be three more polar individuals.

I think it's not regions as much as rural and urban and that's intrastate, then National. Ugh

The party's evolve. Until Clinton the D's were the protectionist party, but they were pummeled as anti-growth and switched to free trade. Now the GOP is evolving as protectionist.
Parties Change, but not as much as people want to believe. We hear a lot if talk about “cults” from those who mostly oppose the so-called leader of the cult. Almost all Democrats, and many never-trump republicans think that Trump is the GOP and the GOP is Trump. I never bought in to that and still don’t. The GOP has been around a lot longer than Trump and will outlast him. Identifying politics with people is where all this cult nonsense comes from. People who proudly claim they vote for their person and not the party are part of this cult problem. The result is more and more undisciplined chaos like we see now.

Conservatism is a set of principles that is found in writings from people like Kirk, ( not Charlie) Hayek, Burke, and a few others. Conservatism is not Goldwater, not Reagan, not Trump nor any other individual. And conservatism doesn’t need adjectives like “arch,” “extreme,” “social,” or “economic”. Economics and social issues are included, not separate.

Reactions: stollcpa and DANC
Goldwater was far more libertarian, he hated government involvement in almost anything including the Voting Rights Act. Anyone arguing against VRA with federalism wasn't liberal. But it amazes me how many Republicans I meet who say they are libertarian, a fair number really like the Pauls.
Right. Libertarian and conservatism are not the same. Not even branches on the same tree.

I agree in theory but I think there are more divisions. I know I rag incessantly on the progressives and the woke cult but the Republican Party is obviously an odd mix too at the moment - capitalist elites and country boys. Strange bedfellows. We see it here in MO in Hawley and the Gov. Hawley is a snob school lawyer politician while our gov was a sheriff and longtime state rep with no degree. And we have Cori Bush. Cori Bush, Hawley and the gov couldn't be three more polar individuals.

I think it's not regions as much as rural and urban and that's intrastate, then National. Ugh
I think there are a lot of broad bush commonalities within the GOP. The democrats have always struck me as a conglomerate of diverse interests who cannot admit to being either Republicans or conservatives. Not as much commonality there. Blue collar union guys have nothing in common with ivory tower elites except that they are codependent.

Too many in the GOP are allowing some disagreement to drive disagreement on large issues. Thus we get the concept of RINO, which I dislike and is ultimately counterproductive. Trump is ex “A”. He bitched about Musk after Musk said he is voting Republican. That crap is Trump‘s worse fault. He can’t ever let go of minor shit or irrelevant shit.

It is interesting that you realize exactly where social conservatives differ from your view of conservatism but view the populists as a perfect fit. I really though showing their hatred of Ike, or Buckley's hatred of them, would account for something but it never did. Somehow populist completely equals conservative.

We have similar dynamics on the left. Partly with Bernie bros (winners and I have fought often) and partly with progressives who want to yank left. Neither are traditional RFK/Birch Bayh kind of liberals. I am far closer to Jimmy Carter than I am the progressives.

So I get wanting to defend the team overall, but it is ok to admit some of the teammates are crazy. Bernie bros are crazy. AOC lacks in the reality based community. The idea of adding psychological resources to policing is great, selling it as defund the police was amazingly stupid.
Populism is really not a political ideology. I don’t think it’s entirely inconsistent with either liberalism or conservatism. I must admit though that the more academic inexperienced elites we see making decisions in government, the better populism Looks.

Reactions: dbmhoosier and DANC
Populism is really not a political ideology. I don’t think it’s entirely inconsistent with either liberalism or conservatism. I must admit though that the more academic inexperienced elites we see making decisions in government, the better populism Looks.
Extreme adherence to a philosophy is dangerous. NAFTA is an example. We exported much of our industrial base and - true confession - I was all for it, because of the 'Free Trade' mantra. What I see now is that it was basically a scheme for corporations to move to cheaper labor. In theory, it's all good, but we'd have been much better implementing 'Fair Trade', which is what Trump advocated.

Same for liberalism and their desire for 'choice'. It's fine to be able to do what you want with your own body, except they forget there is a baby involved. And that desire for 'choice' isn't valid if you want to avoid a vaccine.

That's part of Trump's appeal, I think. He's not wed to a philosophy, but to solutions based on a philosophy which, thankfully, appears to trend conservative.

• Haha
Reactions: mrhighlife
Depends on the subject, in many areas both main party candidates in '68 we're well left of both candidates in 2020.
That's the point I guess. What is the temporal reference point. I think we were basing it off more recent times. Just an assumption that said Biden'm has proven considerably farther left than most of us expected.

So Goldwater was a liberal. It seems more likely modern conservatives are redefining conservatism in ways that now exclude Goldwater and Reagan.
There is a sliding scale on any number of topics. People tend to fall at different places on that scale for different topics. Goldwater represented the more Libertarian part of the "right" coalition. He was economically conservative but his libertarian streak on social types of issue makes him look "liberal" on that stuff. CoH said up above that social conservatives aren't really conservative...I don't really agree with that either.

I think economically that ivegotwinners is an unabashed leftist. That being said, I have seen him taking stances on some social issues that would appear more moderate to conservative. You are going to be hard pressed to find anyone that will fit into any tidy political box. Most of us have a pot luck approach but we tend to pick the party that most closely suits our tastes.

Last edited:
There is a sliding scale on any number of topics. People tend to fall at different places on that scale for different topics. Goldwater represented the more Libertarian part of the "right" coalition. He was economically conservative but his libertarian streak on social types of issue makes him look "liberal" on that stuff. CoH said up above that social conservatives aren't really conservative...I don't really agree with that either.

I think economically that ivegotwinners is an unabashed leftist. That being said, I have seen him taking stances on some social issues that would appear more moderate to conservative. You are going to be hard pressed to find anyone that will fit into any tidy political box. Most of us have a pot luck approach but we tend to pick the party that most closely suits are tastes.
That's why I'm skeptical of some of the posters on this board. I joke about bots and shills but I genuinely find it hard to believe some people can support every last thing and defend every last thing their party does. It defies both common sense and logic

I think economically that ivegotwinners is an unabashed leftist. That being said, I have seen him taking stances on some social issues that would appear more moderate to conservative. You are going to be hard pressed to find anyone that will fit into any tidy political box. Most of us have a pot luck approach but we tend to pick the party that most closely suits are tastes.
I will not disagree but there are implications we have demands to fit a mold. Aloha has had his Republican and conservative bonafides questioned. The term RINO, one we all have heard, implies a right way to be Republican. Democrats act similarly, there are plenty of "Manchin isn't a Democrat" talk out there.

Conservatives share a general belief in government, but many have exceptions on one thing or another. Few are pure. Same for liberals. There are pro-life liberals even though some reject that is possible.

One of my main themes at the Water Cooler is my lamenting about the nation being hopelessly divided politically. Contrary to my thinking is a new book by Morris Fiorina entitled “Unstable Majorities: Polarization, Party Sorting, and Political Stalemate.”

A review of the book in part has this to say,

Contrary to popular belief, America is not polarized. This is one of many stunning assertions in Morris Fiorina’s new book “Unstable Majorities: Polarization, Party Sorting, and Political Stalemate.” How can this be true, one might wonder, given the partisan gridlock that we see and the incivility that we hear on what seems like a daily basis? The answer, it turns out, is in the details.

We, the People, as a general matter, are more nuanced than the political class would have us believe. We still believe in bipartisanship, compromise, and civility. It seems that what is really needed is that we stand up and say this a bit more and a bit louder.

From now on I will be referring to myself as being "more nuanced than the political class" :cool: .

Or the current GOP is not a classical liberal/conservative party because of the outsized influence of the religious right?
You have to show your work. What exactly is the "religious right" stopping the GOP from doing? I know people like to say, "well Trumpity, Trump, Trump" these days, but what are people pushing for on the right, particularly the religious right, that is any different than when Reagan was in office?

They still generally support lower taxes, less regulation, anti-abortion, strong military...the Trump stuff is so overplayed.

Reactions: stollcpa and DANC
One of my main themes at the Water Cooler is my lamenting about the nation being hopelessly divided politically. Contrary to my thinking is a new book by Morris Fiorina entitled “Unstable Majorities: Polarization, Party Sorting, and Political Stalemate.”

A review of the book in part has this to say,

Contrary to popular belief, America is not polarized. This is one of many stunning assertions in Morris Fiorina’s new book “Unstable Majorities: Polarization, Party Sorting, and Political Stalemate.” How can this be true, one might wonder, given the partisan gridlock that we see and the incivility that we hear on what seems like a daily basis? The answer, it turns out, is in the details.

We, the People, as a general matter, are more nuanced than the political class would have us believe. We still believe in bipartisanship, compromise, and civility. It seems that what is really needed is that we stand up and say this a bit more and a bit louder.

From now on I will be referring to myself as being "more nuanced than the political class" :cool: .
It's social media. People are more polite (generally) face to face.

Reactions: stollcpa
He is not conservative in any way. Pro choice, pro drugs, pro free healthcare, free education, Keynesian economic. There isnt a conservative bone in his body.
He's not free education. I just posted a video of him the other day pissing all over that. He laid out some freaky numbers too.

Isn’t it something that somehow Bill became a common sense centrist? And people complain about the conservative right moving too far.
I think most liberals across America would watch this and agree with everything Bill said. As he points out, most of the parents in Youngstown, OH don’t have trans kids and this is largely an LA (and similar areas) phenomenon. Now, unfortunately this view is catching on in the media and becoming a social liberal norm, to some extent, but I bet liberals in Youngstown and liberals in Bloomington (where I live) can see this is ridiculous. It’s just like the Kardashians are not to be taken seriously as the model for lifestyle and success. In other words, don’t fear a stupid trend.

but what are people pushing for on the right, particularly the religious right, that is any different than when Reagan was in office?
Reagan and the Democrat Speaker, Tip O'Neill, were fierce political enemies. But "after six," as Reagan said, they were able to set their differences aside and occasionally raise a glass. They had lunch together from time to time, and always on St. Patrick's Day. Reagan attended O'Neill's good-bye party in 1986 and said: "“Mr. Speaker, I’m grateful you have permitted me in the past and I hope in the future that singular honor — the honor of calling you my friend.”

There is no way that would happen today, and the religious right plays a role in that. Reagan would be demonized and perhaps run out of the party - - for fraternizing with the devil.

Far-right zealots like Doug Mastriano, who believes God has called him to be governor of Pennsylvania, don't view opponents as simply people they disagree with. They're "forces of darkness" - - - in other words, evil. His wife went even further and told the crowd at a rally that Mastriano's opponents are anti-God. "When you’re against God’s plan, there is nothing that will stop it, and they are very worried right now that there is nothing that’s going to stop this," said Rebecca Mastriano.

Mastriano, an election denier and "Stop the Steal"-er who was in Washington on 1/6, has compared himself to Old Testament prophets and the military leaders who commanded the armies of Israel. He's referred to Covid vaccines as "the government's poison" and favored the installation of an "alternate" slate of electors - - contrary to the will of the voters of Pennsylvania - - after Biden carried the state.

Then there are actual far-right preachers like Greg Locke, pastor of a large church in Tennessee with millions of social media followers. Check out his recent unhinged, insane sermon (it's on YouTube) that included loving, Christ-like messages such as, "I’m to the place right now [that] if you vote Democrat, I don’t even want you around this church. You can get out. You get out, you demon. You get out, you baby butchering election thief," Locke screamed. And this: "You cannot be a Christian and vote Democrat in this nation. [Democrats] are God denying demons that butcher babies and hate this nation.” And this: "Let me tell you something. You ain’t seen the insurrection yet! You keep on pushing our buttons, you low-down-sorry-compromisers, you God-hating communists. You’ll find out what the insurrection is, because we ain’t playing your garbage. We ain’t playing your mess."

Guys like Locke are influential. We see increasing evidence of this kind of lunacy, including here on the Cooler.

So, yeah. That's the difference.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark and DANC
Reagan and the Democrat Speaker, Tip O'Neill, were fierce political enemies. But "after six," as Reagan said, they were able to set their differences aside and occasionally raise a glass. They had lunch together from time to time, and always on St. Patrick's Day. Reagan attended O'Neill's good-bye party in 1986 and said: "“Mr. Speaker, I’m grateful you have permitted me in the past and I hope in the future that singular honor — the honor of calling you my friend.”

There is no way that would happen today, and the religious right plays a role in that. Reagan would be demonized and perhaps run out of the party - - for fraternizing with the devil.

Far-right zealots like Doug Mastriano, who believes God has called him to be governor of Pennsylvania, don't view opponents as simply people they disagree with. They're "forces of darkness" - - - in other words, evil. His wife went even further and told the crowd at a rally that Mastriano's opponents are anti-God. "When you’re against God’s plan, there is nothing that will stop it, and they are very worried right now that there is nothing that’s going to stop this," said Rebecca Mastriano.

Mastriano, an election denier and "Stop the Steal"-er who was in Washington on 1/6, has compared himself to Old Testament prophets and the military leaders who commanded the armies of Israel. He's referred to Covid vaccines as "the government's poison" and favored the installation of an "alternate" slate of electors - - contrary to the will of the voters of Pennsylvania - - after Biden carried the state.

Then there are actual far-right preachers like Greg Locke, pastor of a large church in Tennessee with millions of social media followers. Check out his recent unhinged, insane sermon (it's on YouTube) that included loving, Christ-like messages such as, "I’m to the place right now [that] if you vote Democrat, I don’t even want you around this church. You can get out. You get out, you demon. You get out, you baby butchering election thief," Locke screamed. And this: "You cannot be a Christian and vote Democrat in this nation. [Democrats] are God denying demons that butcher babies and hate this nation.” And this: "Let me tell you something. You ain’t seen the insurrection yet! You keep on pushing our buttons, you low-down-sorry-compromisers, you God-hating communists. You’ll find out what the insurrection is, because we ain’t playing your garbage. We ain’t playing your mess."

Guys like Locke are influential. We see increasing evidence of this kind of lunacy, including here on the Cooler.

So, yeah. That's the difference.
You know that anyone inclined could do a tit for tat with you all day on this right?

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT