ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten incoming freshman article

Knight did what Knight did. That has nothing to do with Painter. As you are a supposed attorney, I would think that kind of reasoning would get you laughed out of court. Just because A did something, that does not mean that B did the same in a similar situation. That is specious logic. Knight got angry and tossed a chair across the floor. Painter has gotten angry but no chair toss.

You know better, I hope.

Bob Knight kept Steve Alford on the 1984 Olympic team over Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Chuck Person, and a bunch of other guys that played in the NBA. Christian Laettner made the Dream Team, Coach K was an assistant.
Laettner was NPOY as a senior and led Duke to consecutive National Championships. He was selected to the NBA All-Star team during his career as well. To argue against his presence, a decision made at that time, seems a stretch.

While you can correctly point out that others may have had better subsequent careers in the NBA, the choice of Laettner at the time of selection hardly seems unwarranted given the data available then. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Adding Colvin, a transfer PG, and Heide. You seem to keep forgetting the last two. I'm looking forward to you showing me where I said Colvin was going to be great. 2 for 2 on avoiding showing me
Heide is a good athlete but he has no lateral quickness. You’ll see that get exposed. Colvin is the prize. He’s a really good player and it will be interesting to see how Painter uses him. Will be used as a shooting combo guy or stuck behind Morton. He’s got 1-2 and done potential inmho.

Knight did what Knight did. That has nothing to do with Painter. As you are a supposed attorney, I would think that kind of reasoning would get you laughed out of court. Just because A did something, that does not mean that B did the same in a similar situation. That is specious logic. Knight got angry and tossed a chair across the floor. Painter has gotten angry but no chair toss.

You know better, I hope.
You must be absolutely naive if you think coaches aren't biased towards their players or favoritism never happens in life.

Please do not try to put words into my post. Coaches may well have bias towards their players. However, that does not mean that all of them act on that bias. As a supposed attorney, you aware of recusals. Chairmen of the NCAA Selection Committee have been associated with tournament invitees in the past. When discussion of a team with whom they have an interest, they defer involvement. That is the policy in order to avoid claims of bias.

The point is that a similar policy is likely in regards to team selection in this case. That would seem proper. Since you do not know, you should not allege bias in the absence of information affirming it. As an attorney, you are supposed to know that; unsubstantiated allegations and all.

Please do not try to put words into my post. Coaches may well have bias towards their players. However, that does not mean that all of them act on that bias. As a supposed attorney, you aware of recusals. Chairmen of the NCAA Selection Committee have been associated with tournament invitees in the past. When discussion of a team with whom they have an interest, they defer involvement. That is the policy in order to avoid claims of bias.

The point is that a similar policy is likely in regards to team selection in this case. That would seem proper. Since you do not know, you should not allege bias in the absence of information affirming it. As an attorney, you are supposed to know that; unsubstantiated allegations and all.
This is an IU website, and IU grads post here. Plenty of attorneys with IU degrees and law degrees post on here: don't be so shocked about it. The Water Cooler would be a total mindblow for you.

This is an internet message board. I'm allowed to have an opinion and theories: kind of the whole point. If you want to be as naive as a newborn babe, you do that. You sound like you may be biased.

• Love
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Bob Knight kept Steve Alford on the 1984 Olympic team over Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Chuck Person, and a bunch of other guys that played in the NBA. Christian Laettner made the Dream Team, Coach K was an assistant.
Yes, at the time it was blatant favoritism, but no one complained to Coach Knight about it. I think he knew Steve was going to be special. They were made for each other in many ways, when you come to stop and think about it. They were both squeaky clean and hardworking…dedicated to the game. The only “mar” to his career was that it was someone else who hit the shot to win the NCAA. That ending scenario was meant for him, but Smart was deserving, too, as another good man who wore the candy stripes well.

Yes, at the time it was blatant favoritism, but no one complained to Coach Knight about it. I think he knew Steve was going to be special. They were made for each other in many ways, when you come to stop and think about it. They were both squeaky clean and hardworking…dedicated to the game. The only “mar” to his career was that it was someone else who hit the shot to win the NCAA. That ending scenario was meant for him, but Smart was deserving, too, as another good man who wore the candy stripes well.
Not saying Steve wasn't really good. But, it would be crazy to say he was better than Stockton, Malone, Chuck, and other players with long NBA careers that got cut.

Not saying Steve wasn't really good. But, it would be crazy to say he was better than Stockton, Malone, Chuck, and other players with long NBA careers that got cut.
Yes, but that wasn’t nearly as obvious when they were all in college. Alford was Knight’s one wildcard he was entitled to in “payment” as coach. Once Knight had every player he wanted but that final slot, it was over. Favoritism works in all walks of life and I think the experience helped Steve’s career at IU, as it was designed to do.

You have no idea as to whether Painter had any influence on the Colvin decision by the committee. I note that Shane Battier is on the committee as well. Does that mean that if a Duke recruit makes the team it is undeserved or tainted because Battier is on the committee?
Does Shane Battier coach Duke you flippant dumbass?

Fact: since Matt Painter became chairman of the Jr USA team, Purdue has had more players represented than any other university. If you think that’s a coincidence, then go play in traffic.

The coaches involved in this team are respected in their profession. They want to win the tournament. I sincerely doubt that they would allow a player that they felt was undeserving to be placed on the team. If that were to be the case, a resignation because of principle is required of them. That has not happened.
Caleb Furst made the team 2 years ago over the likes of Jaylin Williams and Kendall Brown. What the hell do you mean? Caleb Furst doesn’t even get invited to tryout if he doesn’t play for Purdue, let alone make the team.

Last edited:
This is an IU website, and IU grads post here. Plenty of attorneys with IU degrees and law degrees post on here: don't be so shocked about it. The Water Cooler would be a total mindblow for you.

This is an internet message board. I'm allowed to have an opinion and theories: kind of the whole point. If you want to be as naive as a newborn babe, you do that. You sound like you may be biased.
The first Amendment allows freedom of speech for all Americans, so you are of course allowed to hold whatever theory that you like. However, allegations made up of whole cloth and without any supporting data are simply without merit. If that's the way you want to have people view your posts, have at it. I was taught to back up an opinion with data.

Heide is a good athlete but he has no lateral quickness. You’ll see that get exposed. Colvin is the prize. He’s a really good player and it will be interesting to see how Painter uses him. Will be used as a shooting combo guy or stuck behind Morton. He’s got 1-2 and done potential inmho.
Where you seeing that with heide? Honestly asking.

Ah. That makes sense. Now I understand why you put words in my mouth.

The first Amendment allows freedom of speech for all Americans, so you are of course allowed to hold whatever theory that you like. However, allegations made up of whole cloth and without any supporting data are simply without merit. If that's the way you want to have people view your posts, have at it. I was taught to back up an opinion with data.
The First Amendment has nothing to do with a private internet message board.

If you think there is no connection with Painter being the chair of the Jr. National board that picks players for the team and PU players being picked for the team, then you are incredibly naive and biased.

Does Shane Battier coach Duke you flippant dumbass?

Fact: since Matt Painter became chairman of the Jr USA team, Purdue has had more players represented than any other university. If you think that’s a coincidence, then go play in traffic.
Battier is a member of the committee. If your argument is that Painter as a committee member can exert favoritism, then other committee members could still do the same. Battier is a Duke alum; he has relationships with that university. To claim without evidence that Painter is doing something improper, i.e. exerting pressure to have a lesser player added to the team, is without any evidence that is the case.

IIRC, Painter has had 4 players on the U-19 team: Swanigan, Ivey, Furst and now Colvin. Swanigan was a First Team All-American and Big Ten Player of the year. Ivey was the #5 draft choice by the NBA. Furst is still in college but is a starter at Purdue. At the U-19, he averaged 7.1 ppg and 4.1 rpg. He was 8th in scoring average on the team of 12. Two players averaging more had only 0.6 ppg more. That hardly suggests his spot was unearned.

You are just throwing shade on Colvin and Furst because they are Purdue players. You wish that you had them. You would have been happy to have Ivey and Swanigan.

Last edited:
Battier is a member of the committee. If your argument is that Painter as a committee member can exert favoritism, then other committee members could still do the same. Battier is a Duke alum; he has relationships with that university. To claim without evidence that Painter is doing something improper, i.e. exerting pressure to have a lesser player added to the team, is without any evidence that is the case.

IIRC, Painter has had 4 players on the U-19 team: Swanigan, Ivey, Furst and now Colvin. Swanigan was a First Team All-American and Big Ten Player of the year. Ivey was the #5 draft choice by the NBA. Furst is still in college but is a starter at Purdue. At the u-19, he averaged 7.1 ppg and 4.1 rpg. He was 7th in scoring average on the team of 12. That hardly suggests his spot was unearned.

You are just throwing shade on Colvin and Furst because they are Purdue players. You wish that you had them. You would have been happy to have Ivey and Swanigan.
I'm done, agree to disagree. Take care. I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you, if you are interested.

Caleb Furst has averaged about 4 or 5 ppg in college: he has been a bust. Colvin's teams weren't very good against 2A competition: we will see if he is the messiah some of you PUkers think he is. I'll give you Swanigan and Ivey: shame they were squandered by Mid-major Matt.

Last edited:
I haven’t once claimed Painter did anything wrong or improper you deranged piece of shit, stop putting words in my mouth. But acting like Painter as the head of the entire Junior program doesn’t have any influence on who is invited and who ultimately makes the team is asinine and you’d have to be blind to not think there’s some bias.

I haven’t once claimed Painter did anything wrong or improper you deranged piece of shit, stop putting words in my mouth. But acting like Painter as the head of the entire Junior program doesn’t have any influence on who is invited and who ultimately makes the team is asinine and you’d have to be blind to not think there’s some bias.
I wonder if Painter has any impact on who makes the PU roster......

The clear implication of your post (Painter's players are over-represented on the team) suggests favoritism. Please do not deny that; otherwise, it would make no sense to make the observation. The question then becomes was the spot on the team undeserved by play on the team? Furst had the third most rpg. Stats argue his spot was deserved.

The clear implication of your post (Painter's players are over-represented on the team) suggests favoritism. Please do not deny that; otherwise, it would make no sense to make the observation. The question then becomes was the spot on the team undeserved by play on the team? Furst had the third most rpg. Stats argue his spot was deserved.
Caleb Furst made the team because his college head coach was the selection chairman. Nothing more, nothing less, it isn’t that deep.

I'm done, agree to disagree. Take care. I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you, if you are interested.

Caleb Furst has averaged about 4 or 5 ppg in college: he has been a bust. Colvin's teams weren't very good against 2A competition: we will see if he is the messiah some of you PUkers think he is. I'll give you Swanigan and Ivey: shame they were squandered by Mid-major Matt.
Not interested in the bridge. Having been born and raised in Brooklyn, I have walked and driven across it many times. At more than 130 years old, it has seen better days.

Furst has started for almost two years on the #1 ranked team in the country. A team whose frontcourt scoring goes through Edey. Coincidently, Edey led Canada to 3rd place averaging 15 ppg and 14.1 rpgs in the same tournament. Starting on a #1 ranked team hardly makes you a bust.

Caleb Furst made the team because his college head coach was the selection chairman. Nothing more, nothing less, it isn’t that deep.
They teach you in science that correlation does not mean causality. Furst was 8th in ppg, with very little difference between 6th and 8th. He was third in rpg. For a Power Forward, that hardly suggests that his spot was undeserved. If it was undeserved, his stats would be in a lower place on the team.

Not interested in the bridge. Having been born and raised in Brooklyn, I have walked and driven across it many times. At more than 130 years old, it has seen better days.

Furst has started for almost two years on the #1 ranked team in the country. A team whose frontcourt scoring goes through Edey. Coincidently, Edey led Canada to 3rd place averaging 15 ppg and 14.1 rpgs in the same tournament. Starting on a #1 ranked team hardly makes you a bust.
Shitting the bed against mid-majors and only averaging 4-5 ppg does. Has Edey been drafted tonight yet?

Shitting the bed against mid-majors and only averaging 4-5 ppg does. Has Edey been drafted tonight yet?
Let's just assume Edey would have been drafted below TJD. You seem to hate his decision to make more money than TJD next year, so you should be applauding him for coming back? Then again, you just make up narratives and run with them. It's all you have. Can't keep a conversation on topic. Ya ya I know. Something mid majors blah blah edey can't get drafted blah blah BTW, where did I call Colvin the next coming?

Is CMP the only coach to accomplish the following…

- lose to 10,11,12,13,15,16 seeds in a career
- only coach to lose to a 16 seed with the NPOY
- only 1 seed with a NPOY on roster to not make a second weekend

Until my team accepts this man’s failures, we will always be the laughing stock of the B10.

In 1999, I stopped my JPC membership as I swore I could not support GK mediocracy and prayed CMP was not the next GK. My prayer was not answered.

Is CMP the only coach to accomplish the following…

- lose to 10,11,12,13,15,16 seeds in a career
- only coach to lose to a 16 seed with the NPOY
- only 1 seed with a NPOY on roster to not make a second weekend

Until my team accepts this man’s failures, we will always be the laughing stock of the B10.

In 1999, I stopped my JPC membership as I swore I could not support GK mediocracy and prayed CMP was not the next GK. My prayer was not answered.
You can still support NIL and coach Walters. He's recruiting his tail off right now!

Why? Because we don't have Logan Dunscomb anymore to neutralize him? Furst is a good player, but not really a guy that should scare us, especially with all the post players we got. We'll be playing 2 bigs most of the time and I think he will be neutralized. They're going to go to Edey early and often and both Smith and Loyer will get their shots, so at best I think Furst is usually going to be the 4th option on the floor generally.
Caleb Furst = Derick Elston. Big guy who dominated Indiana Class 2a HS Basketball. He could a beast at Valpo.

You have no idea if this is true. You are asserting without evidence. Your post clearly implies his position was gained through favoritism.

Furst's playing stats on the team strongly argue that his place was earned fairly. If unfairly placed, his stats would be poor relative to others on the team. They were not.

Three members of the Purdue team played in that tournament. Only two were on the USA team. Perhaps Painter has a good eye for talent.

You have no idea if this is true. You are asserting without evidence. Your post clearly implies his position was gained through favoritism.

Furst's playing stats on the team strongly argue that his place was earned fairly. If unfairly placed, his stats would be poor relative to others on the team. They were not.

Three members of the Purdue team played in that tournament. Only two were on the USA team. Perhaps Painter has a good eye for talent
Come play for me at Purdue! You'll have a great chance at making a U19 team, and there's no pressure at all to win NCAA tournament games!

If my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle. 2 IU players and other Big Ten players got drafted, Edey didn't.
The fact that Edey sat out scrimmages says, at least to me, that Edey had no intention of staying in the draft from the start. He wanted feedback but he certainly didn't want to put his "skills" on display.

The fact that Edey sat out scrimmages says, at least to me, that Edey had no intention of staying in the draft from the start. He wanted feedback but he certainly didn't want to put his "skills" on display.
He withdrew for the obvious reasons. His stock will never be higher, and he still withdrew.

If my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle. 2 IU players and other Big Ten players got drafted, Edey didn't. Edey very well may not have been drafted: he doesn't fit in to the NBA, and Painter hasn't even tried to help him fit in.
Of course Edey didn't get drafted. He wasn't eligible. Thought you'd be able to understand that.... how has Painter not helped him? He's improved his speed and skill every year at Purdue. Then again, you just make stuff up so...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT