ADVERTISEMENT

Big changes coming on athlete compensation

Rags to Roses

All-American
Aug 9, 2002
Atlanta, GA
If you haven’t been keeping up with the House vs. NCAA case:

As reported by Yahoo Sports earlier this month, administrators briefed on a proposed new revenue-sharing model are expecting to share as much as $15-20 million per school, with a spending limit similar to a professional sports team’s salary cap.

> Seems $20M is the more likely number. Much more in the linked article

A revenue-sharing model to end college amateurism

Thanks, Interesting...

One sentence stood out to me... (Charlie Baker NCAA President)

In an interview in January, Baker said he believed that Title IX terminology is more “about equal participation” and not “so much about equal amounts.”

Hmmm .... I wouldn't take that to Vegas.

I think the NCAA will lose big time football as B1G, SEC, and now Big 12 teams are getting feed up with NCAA making rules that don't account for big time sports. It is difficult to know what changes will occur especially if Congress gets involved.

Thanks, Interesting...

One sentence stood out to me... (Charlie Baker NCAA President)

In an interview in January, Baker said he believed that Title IX terminology is more “about equal participation” and not “so much about equal amounts.”

Hmmm .... I wouldn't take that to Vegas.
Easy fix is to have half the players "identify" as female so the football team is a net zero on Title IX.

Would this affect NIL though? That money doesn't come from the school per say.
Individual NIL (non-university rev) would likely remain separate, but who knows.

One of the unintended consequences may be small to mid schools never getting on tv (or radio) due to required payments to athletes. Now i assume when Ball State comes to play IU that IU pays their players as well as the school.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'm late 50s and I can tell I'm not going to be caring a lot about college pro sports. Which is OK, there's plenty of things to do in life.

Still, this year, I'm still very into whether Indiana can get their football program going at a much higher level. They've been so unbelievably pathetic with it for so long compared to what should have been, at such a nice place, that it somehow matters to me a lot whether they can prove it out.

But, in the future, I won't care too much whether the IU admin is great at pro sports. They seem to have enough on their plates running a pro school. But it'll still be good for fundraising I guess.

Thanks for the OP. Interesting. I feel it'll all be in the other details more than salary cap. How many transfers, etc.

Individual NIL (non-university rev) would likely remain separate, but who knows.

One of the unintended consequences may be small to mid schools never getting on tv (or radio) due to required payments to athletes. Now i assume when Ball State comes to play IU that IU pays their players as well as the school.
I *think* I heard that the money, call it $20m, doesn’t have to be spent. It is more a salary cap. As I understand it, the thinking is every big program is so competitive that they will spend it. I also think the spending cap doesn’t apply to the G5, only the Power 4 (who have all the money). This is all in flux so who really knows.

The biggest unintended consequence in my mind is that, given a $20M reduction in Athletic budgets, schools will be motivated to cut back on non-revenue sports.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT