ADVERTISEMENT

At ND- 12/2, 5:00 pm ET

MLS draft is today. I'm a bit confused by the article stating the IU players eligible. It includes Harms (GK) and Jansen Miller, both of whom I thought were returning. Maybe if they don't get drafted, they can return to school? I'm not sure how it works:

MLS draft is today. I'm a bit confused by the article stating the IU players eligible. It includes Harms (GK) and Jansen Miller, both of whom I thought were returning. Maybe if they don't get drafted, they can return to school? I'm not sure how it works:

I read a different article that said McDonald is expected to return, regardless of draft status, and that Miller is coming back but also that their sources say Harms, Sarver and Mihalic will all be returning next year. Made my evening.

Doing some further research throughout the day, it does seem McDonald will likely get drafted, but has the option to return to IU. Bacharach and Maher expected to get taken in early rounds as well. Draft starts at 3:00 Eastern.

Doing some further research throughout the day, it does seem McDonald will likely get drafted, but has the option to return to IU. Bacharach and Maher expected to get taken in early rounds as well. Draft starts at 3:00 Eastern.
What's unclear to me is if the team that drafts McDonald retains his rights if he returns to IU.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
What's unclear to me is if the team that drafts McDonald retains his rights if he returns to IU.
Toronto took him in the 3rd round, so we’ll see what happens. Bacharach highest Hoosier pick at #9. Maher goes in 2nd round.

interesting that a forward from Lipscomb was the overall #1.

I haven’t been able to find an answer to that, but my guess would be yes-they retain his rights or get some other type of compensation if he returns to school. It seems very risky to use a pick on a player who goes back to college and the pro club gets nothing in return.

A player who is drafted by an MLS club and has remaining college eligibility will have the option to return to school and further their development, but will not be draft-eligible in the future.

A selected player who elects to go back to college or remains unsigned will have their SuperDraft Priority held by the drafting club for approximately two years following the SuperDraft, culminating on December 31 of the second year.

It looks like they retain the rights, but the clock is ticking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT