ADVERTISEMENT

2023 NCAA Tournament Thread

On quick glance yesterday, it appeared there were quite a few upsets in postseason tournaments. Not sure how many of those upset winners were in anyway, but if not, it certainly could have made today a lot more nervy.

And IND was the only B1G team to even get a bid. Spoke volumes as to how bad the conference was (and that a loss to PSU would’ve knocked us out).
Tough draw. Agree-the Big Ten was awful this year. I didn't realize Washington fell apart over the season-they were a top 10 squad (like IU) when they came here in September.

I think Todd will beef up the non conference schedule next year to get an RPI boost. Maybe a road trip to ACC country in September.

Why have we started playing Trine?!?
I wish I knew- it’s been 3 straight years now. There must be some rule that a DI school is allowed 1 game per year with a lower division opponent- with no penalty. There’s no connection with anyone at Trine with Yeagley or IU that I could see. All it accomplishes is being able to get the bench guys some playing experience.

Maybe, but not necessarily
Went through the final RPI list. The only teams in the top-40 of the RPI that got snubbed were VCU, UIC, SLU and AKR (PSU was 46, behind four other teams that also got snubbed). VCU probably had more of an argument for an at-large than we did had we lost to PSU--their big issues were tying AMER (RPI of 108) and ODU (111) and losing at home to DAY for the autobid, and that ended up keeping them out.

I wish I knew- it’s been 3 straight years now. There must be some rule that a DI school is allowed 1 game per year with a lower division opponent- with no penalty. There’s no connection with anyone at Trine with Yeagley or IU that I could see. All it accomplishes is being able to get the bench guys some playing experience.
Heard the announcers Sunday talk about that. Play by play guy said other teams were doing the same thing. Former IU color guy (can’t recall his name, too many pain pills following my cycling loss to vehicle!) basically mentioned clearing the bench.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...scomb-thursday-ncaa-tournament-quest-for-nine

Lipscomb has contended for three consecutive NCAA tournaments now, but it hasn’t been able to get past its opening match and looks to break that streak. Indiana starkly has contended for 37 consecutive NCAA Tournaments, reaching the Round of 16 in the past eight seasons and the College Cup four times in the last six.

“There are, in particular, some guys on this team that have been to a couple of championship games,” Yeagley said. “They just want to get back to it. They can't go fix what we didn't get done, and they're very proud of what they did. But they want a taste of it. They want to be in that game. They want to be in the Final Four. It just drives you. It's craziness how much you want it.”

Penn state missing out says there is a lot more national parity than years gone by.

Heard the announcers Sunday talk about that. Play by play guy said other teams were doing the same thing. Former IU color guy (can’t recall his name, too many pain pills following my cycling loss to vehicle!) basically mentioned clearing the bench.
Patrick Doody is the announcer-played on our 2012 team.

Hope you are feeling better too.

Reactions: muubell
It may be our way to assist an in-state school from a financial standpoint.

Tough draw. Agree-the Big Ten was awful this year. I didn't realize Washington fell apart over the season-they were a top 10 squad (like IU) when they came here in September.
If we move on to play Wake in the second round, I wasn't that impressed with their schedule. If ND is the best after Wake, we looked like the better team in South Bend, even in late August. If we can best all the ACC can throw at us, very much like our chances in Louisville.

Reactions: GeddyHoosier
If we move on to play Wake in the second round, I wasn't that impressed with their schedule. If ND is the best after Wake, we looked like the better team in South Bend, even in late August. If we can best all the ACC can throw at us, very much like our chances in Louisville.
Yeah we’ll see. IU definitely playing some great soccer over the last month. Defense and goalkeeping will keep them in every match, but they just need to put the ball in the back of the net.

Reactions: hickorytree1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT