ADVERTISEMENT

And the crazy train that is Donald Trump barrels along...

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Trumps latest comments today, namely that John McCain isn't truly a war hero because Trump likes "people who weren't captured," has received a strong backlash from other Republicans, with Rick Perry calling him "unfit to be commander-in-chief," and saying he should drop out of the race "immediately."

Meanwhile, the Democratic candidates continue to lick their chops.

Trumps latest comments today, namely that John McCain isn't truly a war hero because Trump likes "people who weren't captured," has received a strong backlash from other Republicans, with Rick Perry calling him "unfit to be commander-in-chief," and saying he should drop out of the race "immediately."

Seems the crazier he gets, the better he does in the polls. I'm not surprised that he has a certain percent of the loons, but to be leading the GOP candidates right now is beyond crazy. They have to be concerned about that and also that the debates are going to be a total clown show.

Not sure why Democratic candidates are licking their chops? Trump won't win the party nomination. Sort of like Republicans licking their chops about Bernie Sanders. Neither will win, it's their effect on the other candidates, particularly in debates, that will make the races interesting.

Not sure why Democratic candidates are licking their chops? Trump won't win the party nomination. Sort of like Republicans licking their chops about Bernie Sanders. Neither will win, it's their effect on the other candidates, particularly in debates, that will make the races interesting.
Because having him as a front-runner and in the debates is going to make for theater that is unflattering to the GOP.

Reactions: Bill4411
Bernie Sanders isn't doing anything to embarrass his party. The Donald does it in a daily basis. Even other members of the GOP are denouncing him. They know it's not a good thing to have his name associated with the party.

Seems the crazier he gets, the better he does in the polls. I'm not surprised that he has a certain percent of the loons, but to be leading the GOP candidates right now is beyond crazy. They have to be concerned about that and also that the debates are going to be a total clown show.
The only reason he is leading is that he's carrying the crazy/wacko Republican vote, while the rest of the candidates are dividing up the sane (and half-sane vote).

Last edited:
Bernie Sanders isn't doing anything to embarrass his party. The Donald does it in a daily basis. Even other members of the GOP are denouncing him. They know it's not a good thing to have his name associated with the party.
This is also true. The idea that The Donald is somehow the GOP's Bernie is silly. Bernie is a liberal. He represents the left wing of the party. Trump doesn't represent the right wing of the GOP. He represents the stupid wing.

I think he'll end up being good for the final GOP candidate. He's going to be denounced and trounced.
I don't know. The left has been saying for years that the extremists have taken over the GOP. The moderates have argued that it's just a small, but noisy minority. The Donald's poll numbers make that hard to support. I'm not sure how badly it hurts the GOP in the long run, but I'd be hard pressed to think any of the leaders actually see it as a good thing.

Is it possible that he is saying what the Pubs like to hear? Why else is he leading the poll?

I don't know. The left has been saying for years that the extremists have taken over the GOP. The moderates have argued that it's just a small, but noisy minority. The Donald's poll numbers make that hard to support. I'm not sure how badly it hurts the GOP in the long run, but I'd be hard pressed to think any of the leaders actually see it as a good thing.
He's got about as much support as he'll get and some of that support is entirely because he's a celebrity and they know his name. They don't know he's a bonehead. He's a sideshow.

Extremists is an interesting term! I would argue that there are just as many leftist extremists in the democratic party as there are right wing idiots in the Republican party. Certain forms of media just choose not to give press to the leftist idiots.

Last edited:
Extremists is an interesting term! I would argue that there just as many leftist extremists in the democratic party as there are right wing idiots in the Republican party. Certain forms of media just choose not to give press to the leftist idiots.
Once again, the difference is that the leftist in the democratic primary has traction, while the nutjob in the GOP has traction. It's apples and oranges. If the left has a Donald Trump, he's not getting the following Trump is.

Totally agree and most of the following is the PRESS who like a sound bite. Without the press coverage Trump would be even more of a non-entity!

Trump may have jumped the shark by deriding John McCain's military service. Republicans who were afraid to criticize his racist claims about immigrants will find it easy to condemn this. The question is whether it will make any difference to the sort of people who like Trump.

Totally agree and most of the following is the PRESS who like a sound bite. Without the press coverage Trump would be even more of a non-entity!
He's currently leading in the polls because a substantial component of the Republican Party likes what it sees in him.

Interesting theory, Aloha, but it is not supported by polling data.

<a href="http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-national-gop-primary">The Pollster.com</a> chart for the 2016 shows Trump towards the back of the Republican field as late as the end of May with about 4% of the polling. He was a celebrity then and didn't get have the support that he does today. It was only after he made his "bonehead" remarks that support climbed.

I disagree. It's not like he's being built up by the media as a serious candidate. He's being portrayed as a joke.
And he's accurately being portrayed as a joke. He's a classless buffoon and a huckster.

He'll flame out sooner or later (I hope later), just like Herman Cain, Michele Bachmann, and other obvious unelectables did last time around. But so far his popularity has grown as the media have reported more of the crazy stupid things he says. That's because the GOP has a large and politically active idiot wing that legitimate candidates can't afford to alienate.

He's the newest shiny object. He'll implode, like others in this thread have said.

Comparable to Cain, Bachmann, Perry, etc- also as others have said. However, he does seem to be sticking around a little bit longer than the others. That is interesting.

However... He is killing the party- and it's about to get worse. He will energize a minority but very vocal portion of he base- and scare the hell out of a lot of others. Kinda like Sarah Palin did. I suspect he knows he won't win, but won't pass up a chance at free publicity. And Hilarie is talking like a lefty now, but we all know how middle of the road (and good for business) her husband's tenure was for someone like Trump. I see that repeating.

He will ultimately force Jeb Bush to run more to the right than he wants to run. He'll be the nominee- and he'll end up just like Romney did. Uncomfortable with some positions he took because he had to take them to get the nomination. And that doesn't play well with voters. People can tell when you're not comfortable- and the opposition will rip apart the discrepancies in your views. And there's a big difference between the decades since Bill was in office vs a candidate shifting their views during a primary run or even over the last couple of years.

Republican primaries are killing the party's chance of putting anyone in the White House. It's fascinating to watch. It's like the train wreck coming that you can see for several miles away. It's inevitable, it's gonna be very ugly- but you just have to watch.

I think with the recently Gerry-mandered congressional districts they will be safely in control of the house for the foreseeable future. (And not just pubs have engaged in this practice- it's just that the pubs are the latest to do it).

So, this will continue for a while longer, past this race I believe.

And if Trump cared about anyone but himself, he'd stop this chit show right now. But clearly, it's all about Trump to Trump.

I do know one thing. I can't wait for the pub debates. The democratic ones are going to suck, but the pub ones should be EPIC.

When it comes to Trump the majority of Americans and Republicans (myself included) think alike. I am reminded of Gone With the Wind "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" !!

Hey Donald, let's see your records on your bone spur. Can you prove you had a bone spur in 1968?

Extremists is an interesting term! I would argue that there are just as many leftist extremists in the democratic party as there are right wing idiots in the Republican party. Certain forms of media just choose not to give press to the leftist idiots.
Nah...there are no extremists or never has been in the democratic party....you should know that by now.:rolleyes:

How so? What is the highest he's polled? 15%?

He's a joke. Nobody is taking him seriously and he'll fold up and go away like the Other hucksters that have run in prior cycles.

People are smart enough to know that Donald Trump isn't anymore of a legit gop candidate than is Donald Duck. He represents the party of Donald, and that's it.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
How so? What is the highest he's polled? 15%?

He's a joke. Nobody is taking him seriously and he'll fold up and go away like the Other hucksters that have run in prior cycles.

People are smart enough to know that Donald Trump isn't anymore of a legit gop candidate than is Donald Duck. He represents the party of Donald, and that's it.
18%...and leading the GOP candidates. You don't find it troubling that 18% of the people in your party are identifying with his racist, xenophobic and downright crazy views? And then the party will turn around and wonder why they have trouble gaining minority voters?

18%...and leading the GOP candidates. You don't find it troubling that 18% of the people in your party are identifying with his racist, xenophobic and downright crazy views? And then the party will turn around and wonder why they have trouble gaining minority voters?
Yeah, and you had around 40+ percent of your party that thought Bush had something to do with 9/11 or knew it was about to happen and did nothing to stop it. Trouble you any?

Yeah, and you had around 40+ percent of your party that thought Bush had something to do with 9/11 or knew it was about to happen and did nothing to stop it. Trouble you any?
Not really remotely related now, is it? We could do this all day....like how many people still think Obama wS born in another country. 18% of your party willing to vote for one thing we all actually agree on, a lunatic. A lunatic that makes outrageous racist remarks. What does 9/11 have to do with alienating minority voters? The longer the Donald stays, the better it is for Dems. Go Donald go!

Not really remotely related now, is it? We could do this all day....like how many people still think Obama wS born in another country. 18% of your party willing to vote for one thing we all actually agree on, a lunatic. A lunatic that makes outrageous racist remarks. What does 9/11 have to do with alienating minority voters? The longer the Donald stays, the better it is for Dems. Go Donald go!

"Trump" and "bankruptcy" have been common in news reports over the years . . . the guy might be rich, but he's an asshole who is willing to get rich by taking other people's money.

I also think he's a coward. His comments about John McKain are a good indication that he has no idea what combat means or what courage is.

I'd it shows you have 40+ percent believing in loony things. The birther nonsense is loony too. Trump has peaked. Soon most of those that think they support Trump will realize he's just a publicity hound and a nut, they'll stop supporting him.

Soon most of those that think they support Trump will realize he's just a publicity hound and a nut, they'll stop supporting him.

I have my doubts that you're correct . . . but let's see how it shakes out. If Trump is still in the top 3 in January, I suggest that you get some salt, pepper and ketchup so you can eat those words.

"Trump" and "bankruptcy" have been common in news reports over the years . . . the guy might be rich, but he's an asshole who is willing to get rich by taking other people's money.

One thing I find interesting about your use of that Sope is from following this board for a lot of years I get the sense there may be several on this board that emulate that. (Both sides of the aisle)

Hopefully my perception is wrong but somehow I don't think so.

One thing I find interesting about your use of that Sope is from following this board for a lot of years I get the sense there may be several on this board that emulate that. (Both sides of the aisle)

Hopefully my perception is wrong but somehow I don't think so.

Hey, it you want to say something Shuski, then step up with a pair and say it. If you're too much of a pussy to say it, then stay in the stands and watch . . .

. . . unless you're referring to Aloha's sucking on the government teat his whole life. :D

Hey, it you want to say something Shuski, then step up with a pair and say it. If you're too much of a pussy to say it, then stay in the stands and watch . . .

. . . unless you're referring to Aloha's sucking on the government teat his whole life. :D
"Sucking on the government teat," just like Bill Clinton, right?

I'm proud of serving my country just as I'm sure WHC is. I didn't do it for the money. I had more than a few opportunities to get out and make more money, but I liked serving in my country's Navy. I loved my profession of Surface Warfare. I was paid enough to keep doing what I loved doing and I was good at it. After 26 years of doing it, I get a pension and I'm grateful for it.

I don't get your need to insult those that serve their country as a member of the government or the military.

What is racist about enforcing currently existing laws passed by a Democratic Congress years ago!

What is racist about enforcing currently existing laws passed by a Democratic Congress years ago!
So you agree with Donald's remarks? I actually thought everyone here was unanimous in denouncing them.

Why do I need a pair to call it like I see it. You were not one of the people I was thinking of but so be it. I am fine letting those who post most often battle it out. I do like true discussions but don't like spending much time in the political sandbox.

I have commented on subjects that I have experience or knowledge in and once in a while share my opinion or observations.

I just find that like most conversations people try to generalize and categorize people and do not allow people to have their own perceptions based on life experiences and observations. In today's society it appears you are only entitled to your own opinion if you just agree with whoever thinks they are right. People are entitled to have that opinion or feel that way but it does not make them right just because they say their side is right and anybody that thinks differently is stupid.

Hope things are well in Georgia.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT