ADVERTISEMENT

And so begin the transfers…

The person you responded to was talking about special teams. So your long response about the strength coach seemed like you misunderstood the post you responded to.
Thank you. Some of these dudes can’t figure how a forum works, so I have very little faith they know anything about football. 😬

Add 2 more.

CJ Person
DK Bonhomme
Bonhomme should have been in waaay before Jr. and Person got a few snaps every now and then. It pisses me off they bail before the Bucket. I’m guessing Tom Allen reminded each of them about their secret LEO pledge and pinky shake. Whatever though, good riddance. Once a quitter, always a quitter. Good luck explaining why you thought it was a good idea to quit on your teammates with 4 freaking days left.

Bonhomme fell out of the rotation at linebacker this year, and I don't think Person ever played much. Not that surprising, and these (along with Hewitt) all feel like transfers that might've happened anyway, even if we had a good year.
That’s one of the problems with the defense this year, imo. Warren doesn’t rotate. Not like Wommack. I don’t think this has been said but I think our defense isn’t used to playing so much every Saturday, so besides what the offense has been doing to put pressure on them, at this point in the year I think the ones that have been playing are playing substantially more snaps than they did last year and they aren’t as fresh. The defense is getting stressed and worn down in a lot of ways.

CTA needs to have a long talk with Warren imo and start from the vantage point of how Wommack utilized the defense.

Miles Marshall just hit the road.
Sorry to read that...

He's shown flashes of talent...

Not sure what he's thinking... He was in line to be given a legit shot at being one of our "go-to" receivers next season...

Is what it is...: another scholarship available...

Reactions: vesuvius13
Sorry to read that...

He's shown flashes of talent...

Not sure what he's thinking... He was in line to be given a legit shot at being one of our "go-to" receivers next season...

Is what it is...: another scholarship available...
That one also really surprises me. He had really strong FR & SO campaigns. Didn't quite make the jump this year, although no receivers did. Would've been expected to come back and be the lead dog next year.

So it goes.

With OC (and by default the entire offensive scheme) up in the air they are likely just keeping their options open like the bball players all did when AM was fired and they all put their names in but then most of them stayed once the new hire got in town.

I forgot it could just be a placeholder and he or Williams could both stay once new OC is named.

I also wonder about Coach Heard and if he survives new regime. It may be time for a reset there too. (Hiller is of course on that list needing a reset for sure)

But UM showed staff changes can work out nicely, and MSU showed good portal work can too.

Allen made the move on Sheridan before 10am Sunday. Pretty sure he wants to get this OC hire right and I think he can/will, as he saw what a bad hire can mean this year. With that will likely come a few more staff changes, and I think IU can right things pretty well with good focus ahead. And nothing focused the mind like a 2-10 debacle of a season!

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Also makes you wonder if something going on with Heard? I’m sure more firings are in the offing that haven’t been announced yet.
Some have said all coaches are status quo, doing their jobs, and possibly new OC can evaluate when hired who wants to retain or not. Seems weird to have guys on chopping block recruiting, but they need to do their job and not burn bridges either?

Think Hiller & Heard may not be here next season. Coach T would be someone who probably should be evaluated as STC as I don’t think IU has been solid on that front, at least not in the return game.

Also makes you wonder if something going on with Heard? I’m sure more firings are in the offing that haven’t been announced yet.
That's something I wonder about too...

Not sure what to think about with him... Seemed to have done a good job prior to this season but..., wow...., this one sure looked like he and most of his receiving corps just assumed they could live off their 2020 accomplishments and basically mailed in most of their efforts...

Still wondering why we didn't see more Freshmen out there... Scary to think that they weren't better then what we were seeing on the field...

Brings me back to summer workouts (without the coaches)... The Offensive guys appear to have spent more time patting each other on the back for their press clippings then they did getting ready for the season.... Complete lack of leadership on that side of the ball (at the player level), in my opinion...

Last edited:
That's something I wonder about too...

Not sure what to think about with him... Seemed to have done a good job prior to this season but..., wow...., this one sure looked like he and most of the receiving corps just assumed they could live off their 2020 accomplishments and basically mailed in most of their efforts...

Still wondering why we didn't see more FR out there... Scary to think that they weren't better then what we were seeing on the field...

Brings me back to summer workouts (without the coaches... The Offensive guys appear to have spent more time patting each other on the back for their press clippings then they did getting ready for the season.... Complete lack of leadership on that side of the ball (at the player level), in my opinion...
They were too busy ordering their stupid GOAT necklaces!

Reactions: Sophie1970 and 76-1
Some have said all coaches are status quo, doing their jobs, and possibly new OC can evaluate when hired who wants to retain or not. Seems weird to have guys on chopping block recruiting, but they need to do their job and not burn bridges either?

Think Hiller & Heard may not be here next season. Coach T would be someone who probably should be evaluated as STC as I don’t think IU has been solid on that front, at least not in the return game.
You don't think mandatory fair catches are a threat? :)

• Haha
I actually think we are in for historic transfer numbers. Whole new offensive staff wouldn't shock me too much either...even though everyone here thinks the RB coach and the TE coach are safe. Probably the WR coach too, even though I scratch my head and wonder if he could have possibly put a less competitive crew on the field.

25-30 transfers in and out. I'm guessing we'll see almost a whole new team next year. Good thing Fred Glass isn't here to remove the names again. We're really going to need them next year.

Surprised since Buckley transferred in.

Did he get injured or just buried on the depth chart?
Who knows or cares. I was highly unimpressed by his production this year. No transfer should think they are owed playing time. Think he had an “I went to Tex A&M, give me the damn ball” attitude but wasn’t so good at actually catching them when thrown to him!

Reactions: vesuvius13 and mk23
Whop and Matthews were the only guys got themselves open quick or often.

We went with size.

For catchers, there is no substitute for speed, quickness and good hands. Size is good. But speed, quick and hands are indispensable.
I think there's always a place in college football for a big/sure hands possession receiver to go up and get balls, Donovan Hale is one that comes to mind in recent years for IU. But you're 100% right that the college game thrives on fast/quick guys who can get open and make moves with the ball in space and we need a lot more of the latter than the former.

who? was he a walk-on?
From the IU site:

2021 (Junior): Appeared in seven games ... made season debut against Idaho (9/11).

2020 (Sophomore): Played in the Maryland win (11/28) ... defensive scout team player of the week (Ohio State) ... special teams scout team player of the week (Rutgers) ... Academic All-Big Ten selection.

2019 (Freshman): Appeared in the Eastern Illinois (9/7) and Northwestern victories (11/2) ... two-time special teams scout team player of the week (Ohio State, Maryland) ... Academic All-Big Ten selection.

2018: Redshirted the 2018 season ... scout team player of the week (Rutgers) ... walk-on joined the program during fall camp.

Prep/Personal: Defensive back for head coach Matt Kemper at Roswell High School ... allowed just five receptions for 83 yards with four pass breakups as a senior ... pre-season all-state selection ... a track and field standout ... volunteered for over 100 hours at The Hope Store ... entrepreneurship and corporate innovation major ... born on Oct. 21, 1999.

@Mas-sa-suta @IU_Hickory
I was just posting his entry in portal. Not a guy I recalled either. His entry gives IU 11 players, I believe, that have entered portal since 8/1/21. As of this morning that is the most of any P5 team.
There will be more. Even if we sign all the HS verbals it appears that a lot of portal players will be needed to bring roster size back to where it was. Crazy days.

I actually think we are in for historic transfer numbers. Whole new offensive staff wouldn't shock me too much either...even though everyone here thinks the RB coach and the TE coach are safe. Probably the WR coach too, even though I scratch my head and wonder if he could have possibly put a less competitive crew on the field.

25-30 transfers in and out. I'm guessing we'll see almost a whole new team next year. Good thing Fred Glass isn't here to remove the names again. We're really going to need them next year.
Perfect storm of bad season, material coaching changes and wild west of NIL and transfer rules. Going to be very interesting to watch the two-way activity.

Whop and Matthews were the only guys got themselves open quick or often.

We went with size.

For catchers, there is no substitute for speed, quickness and good hands. Size is good. But speed, quick and hands are indispensable.
I remember when Heard got hired and he said he was moving to taller wr's. He did recruit Whop yet after that most seem to be misses.

Add Cameron Buckley. We can’t have like any WR’s left.
Could be they are all leaving because they think Heard won't be back. Or it could be that they are leaving because they think he will. Either way, none of these guys have shown themselves to be difference makers. Recruiting in that room needs to improve or we need to hit the portal hard.

Hopefully Matthews and Ellis both return at full strength. The rest are all easily replaced imo.

Could be they are all leaving because they think Heard won't be back. Or it could be that they are leaving because they think he will. Either way, none of these guys have shown themselves to be difference makers. Recruiting in that room needs to improve or we need to hit the portal hard.

Hopefully Matthews and Ellis both return at full strength. The rest are all easily replaced imo.
Was wondering the same thing on the reason on all the WRs, is that 5 now in the portal? With Fry gone, would have thought MM would be WR #1 next year. Lots of questions, that are not likely to get answered, unless one of them talks after committing elsewhere. With so many at one position, seems something was wrong in that position room.

I wonder if TA would take any of them back if they change their mind after the new OC and other coaching changes are made.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
If all they did was put their name in the portal then I bet Allen would take them back. They took Sampson back after his first time in the portal.

if they did other stuff on their way out, then maybe not.

You can't have it both ways - if we suck as you say, players who can't play much leaving should make you want to throw a party - not whine.

But let's not kid ourselves - you have no idea if or why we are good or bad.

You just bitch because that is what you do.
Haters gonna hate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT