ADVERTISEMENT

Allen's Buyout / Coaching Hot Board

the problem IMO is not DeBord's AGE, it's his offensive philosophy--which was OK at schools with perennially nationally-ranked recruiting classes like Michigan and Tennessee, but doesn't work effectively with the kind of roster IU typically has.

I guess we'll see what offensive changes are implemented in the spring with a healthy Ramsey and perhaps Tronti (I'm assuming it will be an uphill battle now for Allen to sign the JUCO QB given how the season finished and with more programs getting involved in his recruitment).

IU won the bucket multiple years in a row and made it to back to back bowls. Not much to complain about. Just be patient and give the guy time.
This coach didn't do any of that. If we had won 2 games the last few years no one would care. But to take this huge step back is a shame. And it's only going to get worse when we lose all these starters.

I agree with your assessment except for the part where 15’ and 16’ are not good classes. They were ranked 49th and 54th on Rivals. That’s not terrible compared to our history. Especially when you combine it with a 38th ranked 14’ class. Another variable is that we returned nearly all our starters this year. 5-7 with Virginia being our best win is not good enough.
Where did you think this team would end up. I predicted 5-7 and thought 6-6 was the best we could do.

Reactions: IUCol
It's time to actually talk about this. The Allen experiment didn't pay off. Last place in the East and 2nd to last in the entire conference. Blown out by a Purdue team with half the talent/experience as we have. There's no excuse for this.

The first question is what is Allen's buyout? It can't be much. He had absolutely no leverage when he signed.

Also, who are the candidates we want who we could possibly get? Top 3 candidates?

Leave the ball, will ya George?

Yep, keep waiting until next season. Success is right around the corner.
You remind me of the 1970s-era joke: What do you get when you cross Bob Knight with Lee Corso? You get an a$$hole who always has to wait until next season.
I said it was a joke. I never said it was funny.

Maryland is friggin awful. Losing to them blew the season. That game soured me on Allen and was a huge warning sign.

Will be interesting to see if IU doesn't make the tournament this year if Miller is held to the same standard in his first year.

Will be interesting to see if IU doesn't make the tournament this year if Miller is held to the same standard in his first year.
Neither coach is on the hot seat so it is stupid to keep talking about it. Also Miller had some good years at Dayton and has taken his team far in the tournament Anyone who judges any coach after one year is just a negative person who is not realistic about the situation.

I don’t object to holding football and basketball to different “rebuilding” standards - for lots of reasons, including the fact that IU is a “have” in hoops and a “have not”

Plus, all the dumbass arm chair coaches at the Hickory Barber Shop tell basketball kids “go to IU” and football kids “go elsewhere”

Vegas has a home court advantage for a reason

Neither coach is on the hot seat so it is stupid to keep talking about it. Also Miller had some good years at Dayton and has taken his team far in the tournament Anyone who judges any coach after one year is just a negative person who is not realistic about the situation.

Exactly my point.

Kind if a silly thread but here goes: If anyone who knows IU's history with coaches heard the comment about firing them now, they could only laugh...whether is should be done or not. IU WILL NOT fire a coach after one season unless there is a scandal. Period...turn the page...move on...these are not the droids your looking for...asta la vista baby. How would we ever hire any coach of any value if they thought a move to Bloomington could end after one season because some irate fans called for his head??? Nuff said...

Maybe Saban is available since they lost today. I think we should fire Allen tonight and make the call to Saban LOL!

Let me ask some on here if we had an opening last week would Chop Kelly be interested in IU over teams like UCLA or Florida. Would Scott Frost who just went undefeated at Central Florida be interested in IU over Florida or Nebraska.

First, Allen is not going anywhere. Second, if IU wanted a new coach, just because it's a revolving door job, is not going to limit whatever candidates there might be. Any possible D1 candidate should/would have the confidence/ego to think they are the "one" that's going to right this sinking ship. So these statements being made regarding what would possible future coaches think are entirely off base. The next Indiana football coach, whether its Nick Saban or Dewey Malkovich*, will not give a damn about the previous 3 coaches tenure.

*(Note: Dewey Malkovich is a name I made up for dramatic effect. To the best of my knowledge IU is perusing no one by this name!!)

First, Allen is not going anywhere. Second, if IU wanted a new coach, just because it's a revolving door job, is not going to limit whatever candidates there might be. Any possible D1 candidate should/would have the confidence/ego to think they are the "one" that's going to right this sinking ship. So these statements being made regarding what would possible future coaches think are entirely off base. The next Indiana football coach, whether its Nick Saban or Dewey Malkovich*, will not give a damn about the previous 3 coaches tenure.

*(Note: Dewey Malkovich is a name I made up for dramatic effect. To the best of my knowledge IU is perusing no one by this name!!)
If IU were their only choice you might be right but these guys would have many options. Would you go to a place where they fired their last coach after a year or go somewhere with more stability.

Last edited:
It's time to actually talk about this. The Allen experiment didn't pay off. Last place in the East and 2nd to last in the entire conference. Blown out by a Purdue team with half the talent/experience as we have. There's no excuse for this.

The first question is what is Allen's buyout? It can't be much. He had absolutely no leverage when he signed.

Also, who are the candidates we want who we could possibly get? Top 3 candidates?
Allen will be fine, needs to replace an assistant
for the O. Besides, Glass would most likely
hire Mike Riley as a replacement.

nonsense: why hire Mike Riley when Todd Graham may be available?.....:)

We have no choice but to wait a few years, but you have to admit the early returns are not good. This was about as bad a year, record wise, that this team could have had.
No 3-8 or 4-7 or worse would have been much worse. Had they been blown out by all the teams they lost to, that would have been bad.

There were very reasonable posters to start the year who saw the schedule and thought 6-6 was about the ceiling.

My most optimistic review is they should/could have beat both Michigan’s and Maryland games. Even if lost today, would have been 8-4, but that wasn’t a given!

I like Allen, want to give him the potential to max out his plan. But the highly frustrating IU past, and yes, the last five Wilson years with so many blown games and so-so recruiting at least Per OLine and QB (esp for an offensive whiz reputation), then Allen is getting judged by many people’s pent up frustrations.

But I believe they will see improvement starting next year if for no other reason a better, less abusive schedule next season.

Disappointing year, but FAR from wheels coming off.

Archie didn't return 70% of his starters from a tournament team. He inherited a team that missed the tournament and lost 3 players to the NBA.

Also, Archie is a more proven coach and was selected after an exhaustive coaching search. He's not an unproven assistant who was promoted without a search.

And Archie has had a lot more success recruiting so far.

So you're comparing apples to oranges here.

Reactions: IUgradman
Maybe Saban is available since they lost today. I think we should fire Allen tonight and make the call to Saban LOL!

Let me ask some on here if we had an opening last week would Chop Kelly be interested in IU over teams like UCLA or Florida. Would Scott Frost who just went undefeated at Central Florida be interested in IU over Florida or Nebraska.
No but a coach like Jeff Brohm would be. That's what happens when you have a coaching search. Brohm is bowling at Purdue with half the talent Allen had.

Kind of kills your argument doesn't it? Oh we can't get Saban so let's just settle for a bad coach. Makes sense.

Would be a HUGE improvement. Wait until Wilson's recruits leave. It's going to get ugly again. It's sad that we're going to give back the last 5-6 year's progress this easily.

It is Allen’s FIRST year. I bet if he is 5-6 three years in a row the heat will be on him. But year one? How is he not allowed a few seasons? It’s ridiculous.

When people believe he shouldn’t have been hired in the first place, they’re not willing to “give” him a few years. There were several times this year it was obvious he was in over his head.
The “Time Out” to prevent the 10 second run off at the end of the first half against O$U is one of the worst coaching decisions i’ve even seen.

Archie didn't return 70% of his starters from a tournament team. He inherited a team that missed the tournament and lost 3 players to the NBA.

Also, Archie is a more proven coach and was selected after an exhaustive coaching search. He's not an unproven assistant who was promoted without a search.

He has 2 veteran guards, another guy in Morgan and a big guy in De'Ron Davis, who played last year. Push-lease. You act like the cupboard was bare. Your take is laughable.

I like Archie and Allen. Both know what they are doing but don't sit here and tell us that Archie inherited a decimated team. You'll give him 10 years to prove himself and 10 minutes to Allen. Speaks a lot about your double standards.

Would be a HUGE improvement. Wait until Wilson's recruits leave. It's going to get ugly again. It's sad that we're going to give back the last 5-6 year's progress this easily.

Again, laughable. Allen saved Wilson last year. Wilson was 1-11 his first year and took another 4 years just to reach 6 wins. You have a slow-boat-to-China approach to progress when it comes to Wilson but expect a speedboat to success for Allen. We were exactly one less win than last year. We didn't pull a Tennessee and completely tank.

Reactions: iulb and MrBing
He has 2 veteran guards, another guy in Morgan and a big guy in De'Ron Davis, who played last year. Push-lease. You act like the cupboard was bare. Your take is laughable.

I like Archie and Allen. Both know what they are doing but don't sit here and tell us that Archie inherited a decimated team. You'll give him 10 years to prove himself and 10 minutes to Allen. Speaks a lot about your double standards.
But we know the cupboard wasn't bare for Allen, in spite of the revisionist history about the O line and recruiting. There was a solid returning nucleus to work with, but it required a capable offensive staff. Unfortunately, Allen's lack of college coaching experience meant he lacked enough coaching contacts to assemble that capable offensive staff, and the result was disappointing, to say the least.

Nice guy, but Allen never should've been hired, and Glass showed his lack of experience and acumen by tabbing him as the coach. It's what IU deserves for bringing in an AD with absolutely no experience. A stupid move with very predictable results. Oh, and a long off season.

But we know the cupboard wasn't bare for Allen, in spite of the revisionist history about the O line and recruiting. There was a solid returning nucleus to work with, but it required a capable offensive staff. Unfortunately, Allen's lack of college coaching experience meant he lacked enough coaching contacts to assemble that capable offensive staff, and the result was disappointing, to say the least.

Nice guy, but Allen never should've been hired, and Glass showed his lack of experience and acumen by tabbing him as the coach. It's what IU deserves for bringing in an AD with absolutely no experience. A stupid move with very predictable results. Oh, and a long off season.

Leave the ball, will ya George?

Well, fortunately, you won't have to put up with it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to stick with the program. You post out of anger. You posted in the earlier prediction thread that IU would win today. If you had absolutely no confidence in the staff, why would you even entertain that thought?

Now, I await your posts in basketball season when you can turn on Archie after what will be a brutal season....oh...but...wait.....Archie has coached before and he inherited a roster that was more depleted than Crean's first team (dws) and, thus, he gets a free pass.

We have no choice but to wait a few years, but you have to admit the early returns are not good. This was about as bad a year, record wise, that this team could have had.
I will agree that it’s dissapointing, but people really underestimate how bad some of these guys are talent wise

I really don’t understand this notion that this was a good roster. This was simply not a talented roster. I’ve posted why you can argue that this is the worst roster since 2011. You see roster issues all over the place. And the one position of strength, WR, was hit the hardest with the injury bug. At TE you have ryan wattercutter as your number 2, and Thomas was hurt the whole year. I love wattercutter, he works hard, but for him to even be the option to go into a division 1 game at Tight end shows that this roster has issues left and right, and that’s due to Wilson’s last few recruiting classes. I am amazed that the team didn’t go 3-9, which is what I projected after the Ohio State game. There are serious holes that need to be fixed.

With all of that being said, I am still optimistic. When we went bowling, it was with the same exact guys. But I remember having conversations with guys, and we were wondering why some of the players in classes below us were even being offered. You could see that a talent drop off was coming with the 15’, 16’, and 17’ classes. There’s a running back on the roster for example, who started out at DB, in the 15’ class, and no one knew why he was even added to the roster and getting playing time. No one knew why a certain defensive back in the 15’ class was even on the roster either. There was a significant drop off in the level of recruiting, so I am just baffled by the notion that some people act as if Allen inherited this well oiled machine that was just destined to break through lol. Also, i’m Only noting a few obvious players that we were confused about getting offers, but qb and multiple positions puzzled us. I love Diamont, but a lot of people didn’t understand that offer either. Selecting Diamont over some other solid guys could have very well impacted this season. Getting a QB in the 14’ class would’ve meant that QB would be a RS junior today, and the QB situation would be in better shape. Instead we got Diamont and Cameron, and multiple dudes didn’t know why the heck they were even on the roster. To us, these were obvious issues, and after the 15’ and 16’ seasons it seemed obvious that there would be a rebuilding period.

Yeah, and I love the guys on the team, but i just don’t agree with this. I was gone when Allen got there, but we could see in the 15’ class alone that many of the offers were suspect. QB recruiting was suspect. No one knew why Cameron, king or Diamont were even on scholarship. Obviously none of those contributed in the way that they were needed to contribute, and I remember having conversations with guys that this would probably be the year we’d fall off. I think that Wilson may have not dealt Allen a “Bare Hand”, but this is anything but a quality roster. I hate to call specific guys out, and only mentioned Cameron, King, and Diamont because they’re gone, but I saw a majority of the current guys on the roster first hand, and it was obvious that there was a talent drop off with the last three classes. I don’t really care about the recruiting rankings per se, but the talent of the actual players going unto the field. For example, lets pick Collin Rahrig... He wasn’t recruited and was unheralded, but was much better than what we are puttin on the field at guard and center. Reed was a TE and much better than what we are putting out there. So forget the class rankings... when it comes to actual performance, this group was simply not as good.

I have faith that they can win with these guys, and they’re great guys, but it’s going to take a hard offseason. I simply don’t understand the notion that this was somehow a bowl team talent wise. Even if you make the argument that they returned 70% of guys, they lost the core group of O-line talent that made the team improve the past several years. If the Oline is the most critical position in the Big Ten, it should be no surprise that they had a drop off

Yeah, and I love the guys on the team, but i just don’t agree with this. I was gone when Allen got there, but we could see in the 15’ class alone that many of the offers were suspect. QB recruiting was suspect. No one knew why Cameron, king or Diamont were even on scholarship. Obviously none of those contributed in the way that they were needed to contribute, and I remember having conversations with guys that this would probably be the year we’d fall off. I think that Wilson may have not dealt Allen a “Bare Hand”, but this is anything but a quality roster. I hate to call specific guys out, and only mentioned Cameron, King, and Diamont because they’re gone, but I saw a majority of the current guys on the roster first hand, and it was obvious that there was a talent drop off with the last three classes. I don’t really care about the recruiting rankings per se, but the talent of the actual players going unto the field. For example, lets pick Collin Rahrig... He wasn’t recruited and was unheralded, but was much better than what we are puttin on the field at guard and center. Reed was a TE and much better than what we are putting out there. So forget the class rankings... when it comes to actual performance, this group was simply not as good.

I have faith that they can win with these guys, and they’re great guys, but it’s going to take a hard offseason. I simply don’t understand the notion that this was somehow a bowl team talent wise. Even if you make the argument that they returned 70% of guys, they lost the core group of O-line talent that made the team improve the past several years. If the Oline is the most critical position in the Big Ten, it should be no surprise that they had a drop off

Don't try to rationalize with the armchair coaches here like Ord. It's refreshing to see someone contribute who has actual inside info than just speculation.

Reactions: Superstar84b
No 3-8 or 4-7 or worse would have been much worse. Had they been blown out by all the teams they lost to, that would have been bad.

There were very reasonable posters to start the year who saw the schedule and thought 6-6 was about the ceiling.

My most optimistic review is they should/could have beat both Michigan’s and Maryland games. Even if lost today, would have been 8-4, but that wasn’t a given!

I like Allen, want to give him the potential to max out his plan. But the highly frustrating IU past, and yes, the last five Wilson years with so many blown games and so-so recruiting at least Per OLine and QB (esp for an offensive whiz reputation), then Allen is getting judged by many people’s pent up frustrations.

But I believe they will see improvement starting next year if for no other reason a better, less abusive schedule next season.

Disappointing year, but FAR from wheels coming off.
No real reason to bring CKW into this. CKW won these games and went bowling two years in a row. CKW won the bucket 4 straight....CKW recruited every kid on the roster of the top 25 defense everyone is talking about that just got exposed.....

I wouldn’t point to CKW other than failure to recruit 4* QBs at IU. Period. It appears hugs and kisses don’t equate to bucket wins..... LEO baby.... it sure feels good

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT