ADVERTISEMENT

Afghanistan - what a mess by Biden and Trump...

Army engineer. Followed the front line infantry building roads and bridges.

He didn't talk about it, didn't identify as a veteran, and wasn't a gung ho rah rah type when it came to military stuff. He was more bitter about it than anything. It blew up his career path and he felt betrayed by the cease fire. Late in life he'd make snide, sarcastic remarks when he'd hear talk about the Vietnam memorial or even the WWII memorial, asking "Where's my memorial?"
MASH was his memorial. korea vets got shafted on benefits and shit too didn't they? what was the deal? was it because it wasn't declared a war?

MASH was his memorial. korea vets got shafted on benefits and shit too didn't they? what was the deal? was it because it wasn't declared a war?

I don't know of any benefits or anything he took advantage of. Never used the VA. He was drafted right out of college, so the GI Bill didn't come into play. Like I said, except for those rare brief occasions, he never talked about it. We really don't know much of anything about what his experience was like.

What was really weird was after he stroked out and was in the stroke center immediately thereafter, he was speaking in gibberish ("word salad" is what it's called, with left hemisphere damage to the speech center) and getting up and moving around the room and even up and down the halls. I finally figured out what he was saying and doing -- he was looking for his flintlocker. He thought he was in Korea.

I don't know of any benefits or anything he took advantage of. Never used the VA. He was drafted right out of college, so the GI Bill didn't come into play. Like I said, except for those rare brief occasions, he never talked about it. We really don't know much of anything about what his experience was like.

What was really weird was after he stroked out and was in the stroke center immediately thereafter, he was speaking in gibberish ("word salad" is what it's called, with left hemisphere damage to the speech center) and getting up and moving around the room and even up and down the halls. I finally figured out what he was saying and doing -- he was looking for his flintlocker. He thought he was in Korea.
Wow! Awful.

I do not know about benefits, but many Korean veterans felt they were looked down on because they did not win.

Many Korean vets early had been WW2 vets recalled with almost no new training. After 5 years of inactivity, they were not really ready. They were, as a group, very bitter.

Dick Winters of Band of Brothers was called back but was able to refuse to go to combat. Lt Speirs did fight.

Reactions: 76-1 and mcmurtry66

We should have instituted hard core Imperial colonial rule. Said, we're here for 30 plus years. Instead, Neocons and Wilsonian nation builders tried to make a medieval tribal society into a liberal democracy.

Reactions: DANC

We should have instituted hard core Imperial colonial rule. Said, we're here for 30 plus years. Instead, Neocons and Wilsonian nation builders tried to make a medieval tribal society into a liberal democracy.

The debate I guess we need to have, do we want to revive colonialism and occupy countries to take their resources. I vote no, but it seems more than a few say yes.

Yeah, Dad said the MASH units were "different". Like in the show, they didn't adhere to military discipline like the other units did. Also said he had a Radar type guy in his unit that figured out ways to get shit or get shit done that no one else could.
Every company had a 'clerk typist' guy who knew the system enough to pull strings and keep things running smoothly.

It always paid to be friends with that guy.

Helicopters? Biden promised there would be no panicked exit via helicopters.

Impeach that son-of-a-bitch now.
Biden is starting to have some very well-deserved criticism sent his way, and he's going to have even more. No need for you to pile on with your usual nonsense. Why not put a little effort into it and construct a legitimate complaint?

Biden is starting to have some very well-deserved criticism sent his way, and he's going to have even more. No need for you to pile on with your usual nonsense. Why not put a little effort into it and construct a legitimate complaint?
No further effort is needed. His incompetency is self-evident.

When did you EVER tell anyone to quit piling on Trump? This is your usual double standard in action.

Reactions: 76-1 and BaxterIU
Daniel Davis: Not only was the war unwinnable, but American leaders, both military and political, knew it was unwinnable all along, and lied to the people about it.

No further effort is needed. His incompetency is self-evident.

When did you EVER tell anyone to quit piling on Trump? This is your usual double standard in action.
LOL. I made the same complaint about liberal posters piling on Trump with dumb arguments many, many times, and for the same reason. I thought it was idiotic to obscure legitimate criticism behind a cloud of partisan hackery.

LOL. I made the same complaint about liberal posters piling on Trump with dumb arguments many, many times, and for the same reason. I thought it was idiotic to obscure legitimate criticism behind a cloud of partisan hackery.
Um..... ok

napoleon-dynamite-yea-right-meme.png

Reactions: 76-1
Um..... ok

napoleon-dynamite-yea-right-meme.png
*Shrug*

It's true whether or not you care to believe it.

Now, let's get back to the issue at hand. I'd like to see you put some effort into an actual critique of Biden on this issue. It's not a trap, since legitimate grounds for criticism definitely exist. It's merely a test of your capability to accomplish the task.

*Shrug*

It's true whether or not you care to believe it.

Now, let's get back to the issue at hand. I'd like to see you put some effort into an actual critique of Biden on this issue. It's not a trap, since legitimate grounds for criticism definitely exist. It's merely a test of your capability to accomplish the task.
LOL YOU don't test ME on anything, professor. I'm not aiming to get your approval on anything.

I've stated why Biden is incompetent and needs to be impeached before he does any more damage to the country. If you don't like my statements, I'm sorry..... no wait - not sorry at all.

Reactions: 76-1
Daniel Davis: Not only was the war unwinnable, but American leaders, both military and political, knew it was unwinnable all along, and lied to the people about it.

From that article:

"Also exposed in the Afghan Papers was the candid opinion of Ambassador Ryan Crocker. At a 2016 interview with SIGAR staff, Crocker explained that the Afghan special forces could help the US “clear an area, but the police can’t hold it, not because they’re out-gunner or out-manned. It’s because they are useless as a security force and they’re useless as a security force because they are corrupt down to the patrol level.”

That observation was nothing new to Crocker, however, as he further admitted that “of all the painful lessons I carry out of my time in those two war zones, Iraq and Afghanistan, it’s the … corruption at every level, that is the starkest point.”"

Anyone know a good book or analysis about why certain nations or cultures are more corrupt than others?

LOL YOU don't test ME on anything, professor. I'm not aiming to get your approval on anything.

I've stated why Biden is incompetent and needs to be impeached before he does any more damage to the country. If you don't like my statements, I'm sorry..... no wait - not sorry at all.
You didn't explain anything. You claimed it was all "self-evident." My strong suspicion is that you are simply incapable of forming a cogent argument.

From that article:

"Also exposed in the Afghan Papers was the candid opinion of Ambassador Ryan Crocker. At a 2016 interview with SIGAR staff, Crocker explained that the Afghan special forces could help the US “clear an area, but the police can’t hold it, not because they’re out-gunner or out-manned. It’s because they are useless as a security force and they’re useless as a security force because they are corrupt down to the patrol level.”

That observation was nothing new to Crocker, however, as he further admitted that “of all the painful lessons I carry out of my time in those two war zones, Iraq and Afghanistan, it’s the … corruption at every level, that is the starkest point.”"

Anyone know a good book or analysis about why certain nations or cultures are more corrupt than others?
Good question. It could be circumstance. It could be that any time the global world is shoved onto a society that is currently living a few centuries behind, the prospect of modernizing a nation, and the great wealth that can be gained from it, are simply too much for the greedy, and they naturally try to take advantage. Or it could be societal. Perhaps there is something about a society that is organized largely on familial (clan/tribe) lines that makes corruption very easy. Or it could be something else entirely that's not coming to mind right now. It would be interesting to look into, though.

From that article:

An older French guy I knew was in the Algerian war. He said no Arab could be trusted. "They lie. Every one" was his exact quote.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT