ADVERTISEMENT

2025 Recruiting

Something is clearly off with IU recruiting high school kids. Could be a lot of things but they've been going all in on a small number of top recruits only to miss out. Then by some miracle a five star or two falls to them late. Not the best approach and destined to hurt them eventually.

The question is, why are they having more luck with the last minute options than the kids they've recruited for a year or more and have a relationship with?
$$$

You don’t think there’s a scenario where more players could have left?

We won 5 of our last 6. If we had lost out (meaning a ten game losing stretch to close out the season), isn’t it possible that some other players jumped ship? Had that happened it would be much more difficult to get players that are thinking about bolting yo come back.
Think of it this way. Ask yourself WHAT would've led to the team rallying at the end of the season like that? If they were ever truly fractured like those "insider" reports claimed, how would they summon the will to finish that strongly? As if they'd really be saying, "screw this, we hate the coach, we can't stand each other, but we're all just going to play hard and try to win out"? Hardly.

Far more likely that the team environment was never toxic, they just went through a dead patch of poor play and frustration (gee, that NEVER happens in team sports), and then rallied around each other and (God forbid) the coach, and worked through it and found their groove. Nah, that doesn't fit with the doom and gloom narrative around here, so let's just go with the completely illogical scenario.

Why do you suppose Leal & Galloway waited so long to announce their return? You don’t think any of the players were contemplating entering the portal, or you know they weren’t? Can you share your sources please or are you just making up a bunch of bs? Does the fact that Fatjohns was disgruntled mean all of his reporting is false? So many questions for your definitive statements that you have presented as fact.
While, I partially agree with your overall point, the argument made isn’t that strong. They didn’t have to make any announcement at all, and they could’ve just as easily been trying to decide if they were just ready to hang it up for good. We don’t know, but if your argument is based under the assumption that one reason must be true then it is kind of silly. The fact that they are here along with the core of our eligible, returning players from last year gives credence to the fact that it was all BS. Instead of arguing hindsight from early February, let’s just appreciate the fact that the projections proved to be untrue.

Far more likely that the team environment was never toxic, they just went through a dead patch of poor play and frustration (gee, that NEVER happens in team sports), and then rallied around each other and (God forbid) the coach, and worked through it and found their groove.
The mass exodus was not too likely, notably because the increased NIL commitment was going to help make IU the clear best financial option, and MM and MR (the key pieces) were improving nicely at IU.

However, the team never found their groove. They had a few good wins, but the season ended on a 27 point capitulation to a so so Nebraska team. Our NET was still 98 and KenPom 91. The doom and gloom was on the court.

And yes, there can be too much negativity here, especially with respect to this good portal period. But last season never got on track.

Last edited:
The mass exodus was not too likely, notably because the increased NIL commitment was going to help make IU the clear best financial option, and MM and MR (the key pieces) were improving nicely at IU.

However, the team never found their groove. They had a few good wins, but the season ended on a 27 point capitulation to a so so Nebraska team. Our NET was still 98 and KenPom 91. The doom and gloom was on the court.

And yes, there can be too much negativity here, especially with respect to this good portal period. But last season never got on track.
I agree.

I think whoever was spouting the locker room was lost was based on nothing other than the bad play. Sure, losing can weigh on a locker room but it never felt like the players didn't like him. To me, the issue that stood out for most was just poor play and lack of fundamentals. Most would place that blame on CMW but regardless, maybe lessons were learned, and IU turns it around next year.

The portal success is great and gives us all genuine hope, but we really need to see these high hopes actually play out on the court. Until then, I think we will see a lot of people on high alert.

I agree.

I think whoever was spouting the locker room was lost was based on nothing other than the bad play. Sure, losing can weigh on a locker room but it never felt like the players didn't like him. To me, the issue that stood out for most was just poor play and lack of fundamentals. Most would place that blame on CMW but regardless, maybe lessons were learned, and IU turns it around next year.

The portal success is great and gives us all genuine hope, but we really need to see these high hopes actually play out on the court. Until then, I think we will see a lot of people on high alert.
Yea, I’d guess the locker room was mostly down from losing, which isn’t fun. I don’t see any serious trouble makers in this team (maybe one but that’s not a lot and maybe he wasn’t). This isn’t a Kelvin Sampson team with an interim coach or something like that.

Reactions: YOTHN
Why do you suppose Leal & Galloway waited so long to announce their return? You don’t think any of the players were contemplating entering the portal, or you know they weren’t? Can you share your sources please or are you just making up a bunch of bs? Does the fact that Fatjohns was disgruntled mean all of his reporting is false? So many questions for your definitive statements that you have presented as fact.
What do you mean “waited so long”? Is it now customary for players to announce next season’s plans in the middle of the current season?

What do you mean “waited so long”? Is it now customary for players to announce next season’s plans in the middle of the current season?
I mean that the coach specifically said two days before the last game that he didn’t know if they were participating in Senior Day.

I mean that the coach specifically said two days before the last game that he didn’t know if they were participating in Senior Day.
Man you bought the Rabjohns horseshit. I mean Trilly and Rabjohns got took. They looked stupid for much of the spring as did some of us. It’s obvious they either got fed BS or just made it up. I think it was both. Hell I got fed some of it but I acknowledged it and moved on.

Woodson and staff members will see 2025 five-star guard Jalen Haralson of La Lumiere, 2025 national top-20 prospect Darius Adams of La Lumiere, 2025 four-star Greenfield-Central shooting guard Braylon Mullins and 2025 four-star Heritage Hills forward Trent Sisley all today.

For those of you in the know, what percent of a chance does IU have of getting any of these four?

A 6-foot-6 guard, Haralson is the No. 11-ranked player in the country in the 2025 class by 247Sports. Haralson helped La Lumiere to a national top-10 ranking this past season.
Haralson has an array of skills, can play three positions, has exceptional physical tools, and has continued to grow his offensive game.

Adams is a 6-foot-5 combo guard ranked No. 18 in the country. Adams is an outstanding scorer and shot maker.

A 6-foot-8 forward, Sisley is ranked No. 61 in the 2025 class by 247Sports, and Mullins is currently ranked No. 95 in the 2025 class.

Mullins was one of the stars of the opening weekend on the Adidas circuit. He shot the ball very well, including making eight 3-pointers in one game.

That weekend was his first game back from a back injury suffered during the high school season, and Mullins certainly showed what he can do when healthy.
Sisley also had a good opening weekend, scoring on the move, getting rebounds and hitting shots.
Sisley and Mullins are teammates on a very talented Indiana Elite squad that started spring play 4-0.

We have a better then 0% chance but less then 100% chance on all these kids.

It's still early for a good number of the 2025 kids.

Rabjohns should have learned from Peegs. IIRC Mike was very cautious towards the end of Crean’s tenure in terms of coaching change talk.

I like someone that really lays it on the line. Keep living on the edge with your predictions. I’m here for it!

Reaction GIF by CBS

Purdue. They have shooters and have developed a winning culture by recruiting lesser talent out of high school. It’s the blueprint for the future.
I think JHS exposed Purdue and we saw it against UConn. Smith and Lawyer will struggle against athletic, long guards. At both ends. Castle and Newton made those 2 disappear. I hope we follow the Uconn model. 2025 is a loaded class and I think we could and should get 4 hs kids.

I have Tiller and Mullins as probable
Harrelson and Moreno as possible

With Sisley as a Longshot.

Reactions: nichlee
I think JHS exposed Purdue and we saw it against UConn. Smith and Lawyer will struggle against athletic, long guards. At both ends. Castle and Newton made those 2 disappear. I hope we follow the Uconn model. 2025 is a loaded class and I think we could and should get 4 hs kids.

We need to lower the level of talent we are recruiting to win. Did you not see what happened last season? Woodson’s philosophy of getting great players isn’t working.

• Love
Reactions: Thcgh
Man you bought the Rabjohns horseshit. I mean Trilly and Rabjohns got took. They looked stupid for much of the spring as did some of us. It’s obvious they either got fed BS or just made it up. I think it was both. Hell I got fed some of it but I acknowledged it and moved on.
What, specifically was horseshit? Who duped them & how do you know that what they reported at the time was untrue?

Last edited:
Purdue. They have shooters and have developed a winning culture by recruiting lesser talent out of high school. It’s the blueprint for the future.
It's a blueprint alright.....from the past. It's a house of cards in today's environment. To put it plainly, lesser talent is only lesser until it's not. The problem is that in today's environment, Purdue's system will not be sustainable. It was the right way back in the day though. This past season was the perfect storm having Edey being unable to capitalize on NIL elsewhere due to being Canadian. The likelihood of a player who has a great season but isn't projected to be a high-level NBA player, will want to capitalize on their high college value because they won't be able to after they're out of eligibility. To expect players like that to simply stick around for vastly less than market value is rare.

To that, you now have high-end talent sticking around college longer because of NIL so the competition is getting stronger and the need for high level athletes is becoming even more important.

Last edited:
We need to lower the level of talent we are recruiting to win. Did you not see what happened last season? Woodson’s philosophy of getting great players isn’t working.
It wasn't the talent, it was the coaching. You have things crossed up, bud.

• Haha
Reactions: Thcgh and ulrey

Smith struggled late in that game, for sure. But I wouldn't say he disappeared. He had 12 and 8, with only 1 turnover. Loyer and the other perimeter player (already forgot his name), the Taint Crew dance leader guy...anyway, they were non existent.

Reactions: Willdog7
Something is clearly off with IU recruiting high school kids. Could be a lot of things but they've been going all in on a small number of top recruits only to miss out. Then by some miracle a five star or two falls to them late. Not the best approach and destined to hurt them eventually.

The question is, why are they having more luck with the last minute options than the kids they've recruited for a year or more and have a relationship with?
Could it be that the HS this year were not talented enough? The class in 2025 should be pretty good. CMW did go after Bidunga

What, specifically was horseshit? Who ok them & how do you know that what they reported at the time was untrue?
Because Trilly ate crow. Goodman is yet to and Rabby is locked out. If that doesn’t tell you they got duped I don’t know what else to tell you. They were all wrong. All got the same info from the same “source”. None of what they reported came true. Trilly has been dead wrong the whole time on Indiana.

It wasn't the talent, it was the coaching. You have things crossed up, bud.
That’s a given. We know Woodson can’t coach. The three kids that left for the NBA came in as NBA players. Recruits know that, which is why he can’t attract more NBA prospects.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
That’s a given. We know Woodson can’t coach. The three kids that left for the NBA came in as NBA players. Recruits know that, which is why he can’t attract more NBA prospects.
You think TJD would have been the same Warriors player if he'd played for Miller all his college years? He's credited Woodson for getting him ready for the NBA.

Nothing in this post makes any sense aside from those 3 kids came in as NBA talent level players. What's unfortunate is coaches' inability to take those 3 NBA level talent players and coach them into a cohesive team that could be collectively successful. Some would call it a massive failure, tbh.

• Wow
You think TJD would have been the same Warriors player if he'd played for Miller all his college years? He's credited Woodson for getting him ready for the NBA.
For certain. You do realize he averaged 29.3mins, 19.1pts, 9rebs and got to the line 8.5 times per game as a sophomore under Archie Miller. Under Mike Woodson's first year he played 5 minutes more per game (34.5) yet regressed to 18.3pts, 8.1rebs and only got to the FT line 6.2 times per game. TJD was going to be great, regardless of the coach. He likes Woodson and he should as CMW is a great mentor. Dwayne Wade also credited Tom Crean for his greatness. Pretty sure Anthony Edwards also credits Crean for his one year at Georgia under Crean.

Reactions: IUgradman
Because Trilly ate crow. Goodman is yet to and Rabby is locked out. If that doesn’t tell you they got duped I don’t know what else to tell you. They were all wrong. All got the same info from the same “source”. None of what they reported came true. Trilly has been dead wrong the whole time on Indiana.
I don’t know who Trilly is, nor do I know the particulars as to whether any of them were ”duped” or if several outcomes were in play & we got one that differed than what was reported. If you know otherwise you should have your own account & make some money off of getting the outcome of fluid situations right every time before even the parties involved know. 😉

I don’t know who Trilly is, nor do I know the particulars as to whether any of them were ”duped” or if several outcomes were in play & we got one that differed than what was reported. If you know otherwise you should have your own account & make some money off of getting the outcome of fluid situations right every time before even the parties involved know. 😉
That’s why you are still beating this drum. The connection between those goofs got exposed. They all triangulated the same false info. Trilly has connections but he doesn’t at IU. Obviously those guys have the same insider who told them the false info.

That’s why you are still beating this drum. The connection between those goofs got exposed. They all triangulated the same false info. Trilly has connections but he doesn’t at IU. Obviously those guys have the same insider who told them the false info.
What drum am I beating?

• Wow

Purdue goes 63-11 and you point out two games where they struggled against some tall guards, but where were you when they beat teams like Illinois who had tall guards? Almost all of the top 25 teams Purdue beat in the last 2 years had a tall guard or two. How about UCONN had pro guards just like JHS!
Good thing IU has average height guards who will probably will never play in the NBA! Funny thing about Purdue that most of their losses came against unranked teams!

For certain. You do realize he averaged 29.3mins, 19.1pts, 9rebs and got to the line 8.5 times per game as a sophomore under Archie Miller. Under Mike Woodson's first year he played 5 minutes more per game (34.5) yet regressed to 18.3pts, 8.1rebs and only got to the FT line 6.2 times per game. TJD was going to be great, regardless of the coach. He likes Woodson and he should as CMW is a great mentor. Dwayne Wade also credited Tom Crean for his greatness. Pretty sure Anthony Edwards also credits Crean for his one year at Georgia under Crean.
Are you saying TJD regressed with Woodson?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT