ADVERTISEMENT

2025 Recruiting

NWfor3

Benchwarmer
Mar 25, 2013

Woodson and staff members will see 2025 five-star guard Jalen Haralson of La Lumiere, 2025 national top-20 prospect Darius Adams of La Lumiere, 2025 four-star Greenfield-Central shooting guard Braylon Mullins and 2025 four-star Heritage Hills forward Trent Sisley all today.

For those of you in the know, what percent of a chance does IU have of getting any of these four?

A 6-foot-6 guard, Haralson is the No. 11-ranked player in the country in the 2025 class by 247Sports. Haralson helped La Lumiere to a national top-10 ranking this past season.
Haralson has an array of skills, can play three positions, has exceptional physical tools, and has continued to grow his offensive game.

Adams is a 6-foot-5 combo guard ranked No. 18 in the country. Adams is an outstanding scorer and shot maker.

A 6-foot-8 forward, Sisley is ranked No. 61 in the 2025 class by 247Sports, and Mullins is currently ranked No. 95 in the 2025 class.

Mullins was one of the stars of the opening weekend on the Adidas circuit. He shot the ball very well, including making eight 3-pointers in one game.

That weekend was his first game back from a back injury suffered during the high school season, and Mullins certainly showed what he can do when healthy.
Sisley also had a good opening weekend, scoring on the move, getting rebounds and hitting shots.
Sisley and Mullins are teammates on a very talented Indiana Elite squad that started spring play 4-0.

Reactions: Willdog7

Woodson and staff members will see 2025 five-star guard Jalen Haralson of La Lumiere, 2025 national top-20 prospect Darius Adams of La Lumiere, 2025 four-star Greenfield-Central shooting guard Braylon Mullins and 2025 four-star Heritage Hills forward Trent Sisley all today.

For those of you in the know, what percent of a chance does IU have of getting any of these four?

A 6-foot-6 guard, Haralson is the No. 11-ranked player in the country in the 2025 class by 247Sports. Haralson helped La Lumiere to a national top-10 ranking this past season.
Haralson has an array of skills, can play three positions, has exceptional physical tools, and has continued to grow his offensive game.

Adams is a 6-foot-5 combo guard ranked No. 18 in the country. Adams is an outstanding scorer and shot maker.

A 6-foot-8 forward, Sisley is ranked No. 61 in the 2025 class by 247Sports, and Mullins is currently ranked No. 95 in the 2025 class.

Mullins was one of the stars of the opening weekend on the Adidas circuit. He shot the ball very well, including making eight 3-pointers in one game.

That weekend was his first game back from a back injury suffered during the high school season, and Mullins certainly showed what he can do when healthy.
Sisley also had a good opening weekend, scoring on the move, getting rebounds and hitting shots.
Sisley and Mullins are teammates on a very talented Indiana Elite squad that started spring play 4-0.
I'd say:

Sisley is 50/50 IU or Purdue. Hear Mich State is in the running as well. Sisley comes from a big IU family and I believe there may be some internal pressure but Painter has been recruiting him the hardest.

Mullins is probably 50/50 right now but would be a lot higher if we started prioritizing him. Believe he truly wants to be at IU.

Haralson I'd go 30%. Being coveted by a lot of schools and will get paid wherever he goes.

Don't know enough about Adams.

Woodson is a lazy recruiter. I like him as a player, but he sucks as a coach.
Recruiting HS players will be less and less important due to IU NIL. Maybe only recruit 5 and high 4 stars out of HS. Players you believe can help you in their 1st year on campus. Everything else can be handled through the portal. I don’t like it, but it appears to be the reality, at least for IU. IU has $ to spend.

Reactions: IUgradman
It’s very hard to follow individual recruitments in terms of visits and attention. Has Painter seen these guys more? Probably. Does it matter? Who knows. Maybe IU had more substantive visits. Maybe IU was waiting until after the portal so they could more definitively explain the recruit’s expected role within the team.

In the end we need to see where they go. And while it’s good for IU to get the best in-state talent, Indiana produces a lot and it’s good for IU’s program to get them, it’s not vital. PU’s incoming class of six only has one Indiana kid and he is the worst one.

Need to wait and see here a bit imo before conclusions can be drawn.

I fear that Woodson has lost Sisley to PU. Wasn’t he an IU lean early on?

We're in the early stages of obvious changes in dynamics for who gives you the best return on your recruiting time, and NIL investment. Highly rated high school kids? Highly rated underclass college portal kids? And/or highly rated upperclass college portal kids?

I'd love any of these guys in an IU uniform the following season. But if we don't get them, are major D1 all conference level players from other schools a better choice anyways?

Is Myles Rice "better" for IU basketball than Boogie Fland?

Is Omar Ballou "better" for IU than Derik Queen?

Is Kanaan Carlyle "better" for IU than Liam McNeeley?

I think pretty strong cases could be made that the answer is yes to all those questions.

We're in the early stages of obvious changes in dynamics for who gives you the best return on your recruiting time, and NIL investment. Highly rated high school kids? Highly rated underclass college portal kids? And/or highly rated upperclass college portal kids?

I'd love any of these guys in an IU uniform the following season. But if we don't get them, are major D1 all conference level players from other schools a better choice anyways?

Is Myles Rice "better" for IU basketball than Boogie Fland?

Is Omar Ballou "better" for IU than Derik Queen?

Is Kanaan Carlyle "better" for IU than Liam McNeeley?

I think pretty strong cases could be made that the answer is yes to all those questions.
Strong case? It’s assuredly yes. Are NBA teams better helped by the draft or free agency?

0 chance we get any of them in 2025, but in a year or 2 maybe.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Strong case? It’s assuredly yes. Are NBA teams better helped by the draft or free agency?
I think that analogy is a good one...but really only fully applies if we're talking about comparing the same people coming out of HS vs. if they are transferring after playing some college.

A freshman Boogie Fland could be better overall for IU than a sophomore Myles Rice. I don't think so, if for no other reason than we're most likely to have Rice for a couple years...where as Fland is likely 1 and done. But Rice has played a major college season schedule, he's played in the NCAA tournament, etc... I don't think Fland is THAT much better a player to overtake those experiences, in all likelihood.

Reactions: IUgradman
I think that analogy is a good one...but really only fully applies if we're talking about comparing the same people coming out of HS vs. if they are transferring after playing some college.

A freshman Boogie Fland could be better overall for IU than a sophomore Myles Rice. I don't think so, if for no other reason than we're most likely to have Rice for a couple years...where as Fland is likely 1 and done. But Rice has played a major college season schedule, he's played in the NCAA tournament, etc... I don't think Fland is THAT much better a player to overtake those experiences, in all likelihood.
I would guess Rice’s NIL is less than Boogie’s by a decent amount, another positive.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
The claims that Sisley is 50/50 IU/PU are inaccurate. There are others in the mix as well, such as ND, MSU, OSU, etc still there. IU’s locker room environment, culture, on-court success & such are not helping the cause….
Locker room environment? Care to expound on that? And how any of the other schools involved would have a better environment? IU has a couple pretty successful, and overall well respected High School bball coach's sons in that locker room. They seem to be o.k. sending their kids in to it every day?

The claims that Sisley is 50/50 IU/PU are inaccurate. There are others in the mix as well, such as ND, MSU, OSU, etc still there. IU’s locker room environment, culture, on-court success & such are not helping the cause….
I believe when push comes to shove, it’ll be a two-horse race between IU and Purdue. Purdue will be in a scholarship crunch once again after next season given their roster construction. Painter has essentially been all-in on Sisley for over a year for the one scholarship he has available. I’m not sure what other pitch he has to sell at this point to Sisley between now and his projected Fall commit timeline. I think if Purdue was the school, he’d have committed by now.

I believe when push comes to shove, it’ll be a two-horse race between IU and Purdue. Purdue will be in a scholarship crunch once again after next season given their roster construction. Painter has essentially been all-in on Sisley for over a year for the one scholarship he has available. I’m not sure what other pitch he has to sell at this point to Sisley between now and his projected Fall commit timeline. I think if Purdue was the school, he’d have committed by now.
“I believe”. Gotcha.

Now honestly that's more BS than can be put in a washtub without a bottom.

Reactions: hozo4ultimate
Ok, if you say so. To be fair, I haven’t been in there, just relaying from people that have. Take it or leave it for the Aloha’s & Bulks of the world that will demand video evidence.🤷‍♂️
I don't think people need video evidence but some actual reasoning behind it would be the minimum for anyone to believe that the locker room and culture is an issue for a recruit. Maybe it is for Sisley, and I'd like to know why, but I'd guess that many, including myself, find it a stretch that the team that only lost players to eligibility, expected draft, and transfers players who were not playing at a B1G level has a "culture" issue. The de facto captain of the team came back for a fifth year despite the likelihood to lose his starting gig and minutes, two players who would be highly sought after (Mgbako and Reneau) both for high level programs and NIL came back, and three of the top 20 transfer player decided to come and play for Woodson and Indiana.

To follow that up with a dismissive comment about people needing video evidence is really weak. We want something more concrete than "the culture is no good, I heard it through the grape vine" because, for all of us who don't have a "connection" to the team, our eyeballs tell us a very different story.

If you say so. I do enjoy watching some of you become so indignant & question my integrity, but it is an inconvenient truth that these things have been perceived as drawbacks by some parties involved in the recruitment. Do you have info to the contrary?
Such a drawback that the entire staff is in his living room tonight 😂😂

I don't think people need video evidence but some actual reasoning behind it would be the minimum for anyone to believe that the locker room and culture is an issue for a recruit. Maybe it is for Sisley, and I'd like to know why, but I'd guess that many, including myself, find it a stretch that the team that only lost players to eligibility, expected draft, and transfers players who were not playing at a B1G level has a "culture" issue. The de facto captain of the team came back for a fifth year despite the likelihood to lose his starting gig and minutes, two players who would be highly sought after (Mgbako and Reneau) both for high level programs and NIL came back, and three of the top 20 transfer player decided to come and play for Woodson and Indiana.

To follow that up with a dismissive comment about people needing video evidence is really weak. We want something more concrete than "the culture is no good, I heard it through the grape vine" because, for all of us who don't have a "connection" to the team, our eyeballs tell us a very different story.
Don’t worry, he “knows” people and they aren’t the same people who said the entire team was transferring due to the culture Woodson had created. Just be appreciative that all this useful info is free content.

I had a boss once that was an asshole & created a toxic work environment. He paid me very well, so I kept working for him.

You’re welcome.
Most bosses are assholes. Big difference in being an asshole and creating a (false) toxic environment that leads to a (fake) max exodus. I think I have it figured out now, your source is Rabjohns?

Woodson lost a lot of time in the winter not building relationships with all these guys. I hope it doesn't bite him. I know Sisley's dad and fam were huge IU fans but with the lack of attention,Painter might have gained a lot of ground.
And you know this as fact or just an internet rumor. I have heard that he has come to IU several times and we visited several times. A lot can happen and change between now and November. I willing to bet that he would play with better overall guards than Smith, Loyer and Colvin at IU. Price, Carlyle and Newton will be strong, I believe without Edey, Gillis and Jones both teams will take time to get its act together.

I realize PU has been all in on Sisley for a few years, but with their scholarship crunch this year, what is the plan if Furst is the one who leaves? That would potentially leave no scholarships availavle for the 25 class correct??

I realize PU has been all in on Sisley for a few years, but with their scholarship crunch this year, what is the plan if Furst is the one who leaves? That would potentially leave no scholarships availavle for the 25 class correct??
Furst is gone after next year regardless. They need someone to come off scholarship this year just to get to 13. If Furst leaves this year they’ll be in the same boat the following year needing someone leave to potentially make room for somebody like Sisley.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Don’t worry, he “knows” people and they aren’t the same people who said the entire team was transferring due to the culture Woodson had created. Just be appreciative that all this useful info is free content.
Well, things can change, people can say things in times of stress and change their minds.

In late Feb IU had lost 4 straight including to PSU, NEB and NU. Things looked bleak, and I don’t think it would have shocked anyone to have seen the wheels completely fall off.

But, that didn’t happen, the team rallied and won 5 straight. Perhaps there was some sort of meeting, who knows?

Either way, perhaps a mass exodus was something that could have been in the works? In other words, rather than assuming it was someone lying and spreading rumors, it could have simply been that winning cures all.

Reactions: jet812 and Shuski
Well, things can change, people can say things in times of stress and change their minds.

In late Feb IU had lost 4 straight including to PSU, NEB and NU. Things looked bleak, and I don’t think it would have shocked anyone to have seen the wheels completely fall off.

But, that didn’t happen, the team rallied and won 5 straight. Perhaps there was some sort of meeting, who knows?

Either way, perhaps a mass exodus was something that could have been in the works? In other words, rather than assuming it was someone lying and spreading rumors, it could have simply been that winning cures all.
Uhhh no. Rabjohns was pissed that the current staff had limited his access to the team, got mad about it, used his voice to pump out a bunch of BS that the national media and insiders ran with (Goodman, Trilly, etc) about the team leaving in droves at the end of the year if Woodson was retained in order to rile up the fan base to try and out Woodson. That all proved to be patently false.

Uhhh no. Rabjohns was pissed that the current staff had limited his access to the team, got mad about it, used his voice to pump out a bunch of BS that the national media and insiders ran with (Goodman, Trilly, etc) about the team leaving in droves at the end of the year if Woodson was retained in order to rile up the fan base to try and out Woodson. That all proved to be patently false.
You don’t think there’s a scenario where more players could have left?

We won 5 of our last 6. If we had lost out (meaning a ten game losing stretch to close out the season), isn’t it possible that some other players jumped ship? Had that happened it would be much more difficult to get players that are thinking about bolting yo come back.

Something is clearly off with IU recruiting high school kids. Could be a lot of things but they've been going all in on a small number of top recruits only to miss out. Then by some miracle a five star or two falls to them late. Not the best approach and destined to hurt them eventually.

The question is, why are they having more luck with the last minute options than the kids they've recruited for a year or more and have a relationship with?

You don’t think there’s a scenario where more players could have left?

We won 5 of our last 6. If we had lost out (meaning a ten game losing stretch to close out the season), isn’t it possible that some other players jumped ship? Had that happened it would be much more difficult to get players that are thinking about bolting yo come back.
The narrative had nothing to do with winning or losing. The narrative was that if Mike Woodson was retained the entire team was going into the portal....because Mike Woodson had somehow created a toxic locker room environment and culture. Hundreds of teams go through losing streaks during the course of a 30+ game season, doesn't mean their locker rooms turn into toxic environments and the players all want out. It's the natural ebb and flow of a college basketball season.

Last edited:
The narrative had nothing to do with winning or losing. The narrative was that if Mike Woodson was retained the entire team was going into the portal....because Mike Woodson had somehow created a toxic locker room environment and culture. Hundreds of teams go through losing streak during the course of a 30+ game season, doesn't mean their locker rooms turn into toxic environments and the players all want out. It's a natural ebb and flow of a college basketball season.
Double DITTO!

Something is clearly off with IU recruiting high school kids. Could be a lot of things but they've been going all in on a small number of top recruits only to miss out. Then by some miracle a five star or two falls to them late. Not the best approach and destined to hurt them eventually.

The question is, why are they having more luck with the last minute options than the kids they've recruited for a year or more and have a relationship with?
The self-need to put a ton of emphasis on recruiting high school kids who need 2-3 years of development are slowly dying with the newly implemented transfer rules. I don't think IU should completely neglect high school recruiting, but 4-5 man classes are now going to be a thing of the past.

Furst is gone after next year regardless. They need someone to come off scholarship this year just to get to 13. If Furst leaves this year they’ll be in the same boat the following year needing someone leave to potentially make room for somebody like Sisley.
Correct, if he leaves this year need another to leave to bring in Sisley, if he stays and someone else leaves this year they have a guaranteed opening for Sisley

I'm more excited about 25-26 than this year. Assuming we Return Rice, Carlyle, Tucker, Newton and Cupps will be in great shape on the perimeter. Reneau will return. Woodys going to crush the 25' class and only need 2 guys out of the portal.

Obviously one will be the best center.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
He is a lazy recruiter but apparently with the NIL budget at IU it doesn't matter.
I think it still matters. With the portal and NIL....you have to win the players...then keep them. Its an every year battle, even with the players on the roster. Recruiting today includes your own players.

The narrative had nothing to do with winning or losing. The narrative was that if Mike Woodson was retained the entire team was going into the portal....because Mike Woodson had somehow created a toxic locker room environment and culture. Hundreds of teams go through losing streaks during the course of a 30+ game season, doesn't mean their locker rooms turn into toxic environments and the players all want out. It's the natural ebb and flow of a college basketball season.
Why do you suppose Leal & Galloway waited so long to announce their return? You don’t think any of the players were contemplating entering the portal, or you know they weren’t? Can you share your sources please or are you just making up a bunch of bs? Does the fact that Fatjohns was disgruntled mean all of his reporting is false? So many questions for your definitive statements that you have presented as fact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT