ADVERTISEMENT

2015-2016 Season: Big Ten Teams Personnel

I'm shocked at no Fred VanVleet and I'm not a WSU fan. Almost as shocked no Nigel Hayes.
Trimble is a fine PG no doubt. However in rough numbers he averages about 1/2 the assists and 2x the TO's of VanVleet. He seemed to be a bit of a turnover machine the couple of times I watched him (on TV alas), not a desirable atribute for a PG. I will note that he does average about 2 ppg more than VanVleet but I think fewer blocks and steals.

I'm not trying to jump on Trimble, he is really a very fine talent, however IMO he is not as good a PG as VanVleet, and it really isn't close at this point. His BIG advantage is the hype he received in HS and playing at a P5 school. The fact that Maryland may be ranked higher than WSU in the pre-season polls has no bearing in comparing their PG's.

But he is a year older and undoubtably has improved over last year. In any case, it will be good to have VanVleet working with their new guys this summer.

Trimble is a fine PG no doubt. However in rough numbers he averages about 1/2 the assists and 2x the TO's of VanVleet. He seemed to be a bit of a turnover machine the couple of times I watched him (on TV alas), not a desirable atribute for a PG. I will note that he does average about 2 ppg more than VanVleet but I think fewer blocks and steals.

I'm not trying to jump on Trimble, he is really a very fine talent, however IMO he is not as good a PG as VanVleet, and it really isn't close at this point. His BIG advantage is the hype he received in HS and playing at a P5 school. The fact that Maryland may be ranked higher than WSU in the pre-season polls has no bearing in comparing their PG's.

If you want to compare Trimble and Van Vleet, gotta at least admit Trimble put up his numbers against decidedly tougher competition. Wichita State played 5 total games last season against KenPom top 50 competition where as Maryland played 11 such games. Wichita State had an additional 7 games against top 100 teams and Maryland had 12.

If you want to compare Trimble and Van Vleet, gotta at least admit Trimble put up his numbers against decidedly tougher competition. Wichita State played 5 total games last season against KenPom top 50 competition where as Maryland played 11 such games. Wichita State had an additional 7 games against top 100 teams and Maryland had 12.

Can't argue with that. Trimble is also taller, longer, and more athletic than VanVleet. He scored more and shot a higher percentage in every single major category (impressive 41% from 3 BTW).

I am in no way saying Trimble is better than VanVleet. I personally think VanVleet is better than Baker. To me VanVleet is the best PG in the country. He is one of the all time Shocker greats.

That being said, it's not some injustice he didn't make the team. The coaches made the wrong choice in my opinion, but there is at least sound reasoning as to why they made the choice.

The doctors won't let him play in international exhibition games next month. Could have used the exposure.

To me VanVleet is the best PG in the country.

I'm just not sold on that. He has been pretty inefficient in his career against top competition and does most of his damage against lesser foes.

Is he a good player? Absolutely. Best in the country at his position? Pretty unlikely IMHO.

Funny stuff. I'm sure he'd be a big enough tool on the mic to make it along with Zach McCabe.

Funny stuff. I'm sure he'd be a big enough tool on the mic to make it along with Zach McCabe.

I'm too lazy to do it but Google maskless Kane's face. If you compare with this dingleberry, it's eerily similar. They could easily pass him off as the bastard son of Kane and Katie Vick.

That's big. Illinois looked like a Big Ten sleeper with him in the fold. Illini still has solid perimeter options.

I always enjoy reading this stuff during the off season and going back to see who is all there when the Wooden Award finalist list comes out.

Will this be Baker's 13th or 14th year at Wichita State? dws

Ha! I think that about VanVleet, too.

We have to compile the "He's still in school?" list soon. To be fair, Yogi would be on it (especially viewed by other fanbases).

Niang, Hield and Spangler are three others.

WTF? So this guy is going to be better than Monte Morris, Taurean Prince, and Frank Mason this year. Dumb.

35. Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, F, Kansas – One of the youngest players in “college basketball history” last year, the Ukrainian turned 18 in June. Only played 12 minutes a game as a freshman, and despite the loaded Jayhawks roster, he’s billed as one of the most talented.

WTF? So this guy is going to be better than Monte Morris, Taurean Prince, and Frank Mason this year. Dumb.

35. Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, F, Kansas – One of the youngest players in “college basketball history” last year, the Ukrainian turned 18 in June. Only played 12 minutes a game as a freshman, and despite the loaded Jayhawks roster, he’s billed as one of the most talented.

I think Kansas, Kentucky, and Duke are a requirement to have at least three guys on this list.

I think Kansas, Kentucky, and Duke are a requirement to have at least three guys on this list.

I get that, but my KU draft would probably have Ellis, Mason, Diallo, Selden, and Bragg in front of him with the first four clearly in front of him. Weird.

20. Demetrius Jackson, PG, Notre Dame – Could be one of the best all-around point guards in the country after a strong sophomore year in which he averaged 12.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 3.1 apg, and 1.6 spg, plus shot 50% from the field and 41% on three-pointers.

This is why lists like this are just dumb.

Monte Morris as a soph: 11.9 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 5.2 apg, 1.88 spg, 50.7% shooting and 39.5% 3pt shooting.

One is considered a top 20 PG and the other "just missed."

20. Demetrius Jackson, PG, Notre Dame – Could be one of the best all-around point guards in the country after a strong sophomore year in which he averaged 12.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 3.1 apg, and 1.6 spg, plus shot 50% from the field and 41% on three-pointers.

This is why lists like this are just dumb.

Monte Morris as a soph: 11.9 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 5.2 apg, 1.88 spg, 50.7% shooting and 39.5% 3pt shooting.

One is considered a top 20 PG and the other "just missed."

Jason probably watched about 30 college games all season, I'm sure the UK-ND game was one of them.

Is the new Big East still considered a major conference? Because Kris Dunn from Providence averaged 7.5 apg last year.

Is the new Big East still considered a major conference? Because Kris Dunn from Providence averaged 7.5 apg last year.

I checked for just P5 conferences, Dunn's 4.2 turnovers a game kind of nullify a comparison anyway. For ball security, ball handling, and assists Monte Morris is the statistically best returning NCAA player with a major schedule. His scoring isn't as elite but he's progressing pretty fast every game there and shooting a very high % compared to anyone in the PG discussion.

Last edited:
I checked the for just P5 conferences, Dunn's 4.2 turnovers a game kind of nullify a comparison anyway. For ball security, ball handling, and assists Monte Morris is the statistically best returning NCAA player with a major schedule. His scoring isn't as elite but he's progressing pretty fast every game there and shooting a very high % compared to anyone in the PG discussion.

Absolutely agree. I think Monte is definitely a "pass first, set my teammates up for scoring/success" PG. But if need be he can certainly take over on the scoring side of things. See Texas game in Big XII tourney.

What's wrong with Layman? I'm serious, did I miss something? He's really good.

He's good. You didn't see the 3-4 potentially uncalled technical fouls when Iowa State played them on ESPN. Guy is going to have to adjust quickly to the NBA if he plays there, he will not be liked and the zebras will look the other way when a rookie has it coming to him.

He's good. You didn't see the 3-4 potentially uncalled technical fouls when Iowa State played them on ESPN. Guy is going to have to adjust quickly to the NBA if he plays there, he will not be liked and the zebras will look the other way when a rookie has it coming to him.

I barely watched because it was clear Iowa State didn't come to play. I tend to drift in and out of the games when the Cyclones don't show up.

I've seen him play numerous times and all I know is that he's good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT