ADVERTISEMENT

2 months to Kickoff

Barry Alvarez was a career defensive coach and was ND’s D coordinator when Donna Shalala and Pat Richter hired him at Wisconsin, where his teams were known for their offensive approach (specifically, their power running game). Plenty of D coaches can and do become excellent offensive stewards.
I would think that coordinators know the opposite side of the ball just as well as it would be hard to do their job if they didn't. How can a DC stay one step ahead of an offense if they don't understand scheme, play calling, and aspects of offenses.

I would think that coordinators know the opposite side of the ball just as well as it would be hard to do their job if they didn't. How can a DC stay one step ahead of an offense if they don't understand scheme, play calling, and aspects of offenses.
One would think . . .

Some of these guys have leadership qualities that separate them from the pack, and that often has little to do with their knowledge of the sport. The good ones have “it”, while others are technically proficient but simply lack that leadership gene. I think we all know many examples of this.

Reactions: BoilerN
Tiller was an AHC, DC, and DL coach at Purdue before he touched the offense. He was DC on a Purdue team that beat Michigan, OSU, and Notre Dame in the same season.

As you pointed out, defensive coaches can make good offensive coaches.
I don't think I did point that out, but as DC under Leon Burtnett, he didn't have such great success.

Beating those teams in one year is like IU beating Michigan, Wisconsin, Mich. State, and Penn State (and losing by 7 to O$U) and saying Allen is an offensive genius. It's not hard to win with Jim Everett as QB.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don't think I did point that out, but as DC under Leon Burtnett, he didn't have such great success.

Beating those teams in one year is like IU beating Michigan, Wisconsin, Mich. State, and Penn State (and losing by 7 to O$U) and saying Allen is an offensive genius. It's not hard to win with Jim Everett as QB.
I'm guessing his defensive work made him a better OC. Just like Walters understands, as a DC, the important of a good offense and QB. That's why he went and got a good OC and a could be pretty good QB. He's not a DC that's content to ground and pound and win 10-7. If he was, I'd be super concerned.

I'm guessing his defensive work made him a better OC. Just like Walters understands, as a DC, the important of a good offense and QB. That's why he went and got a good OC and a could be pretty good QB. He's not a DC that's content to ground and pound and win 10-7. If he was, I'd be super concerned.
Tiller developed his 'basketball on grass' philosophy at Wyoming. It's not like he appeared at Purdue without any experience running an offense.

Tiller developed his 'basketball on grass' philosophy at Wyoming. It's not like he appeared at Purdue without any experience running an offense.
Sure. Never said he did. And walters isn't showing up at Purdue to run an offense with 0 experience.

Tiller? He was touted for his Offense.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you about Purdue coaches - not worth my time.

Tiller was the DC of the 1985 Boilers and Colletto was OC. Joe’s foundation was as a defensive coach. He embraced the spread offenses after coaching in Canada and with Mike Price. He was never an OC but as a HC he moved to a wide open offense at Wyoming. I have no interest in passing matches either. My interest is accuracy. What I stayed was not debatable, just factual.
Tiller? He was touted for his Offense.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you about Purdue coaches - not worth my time.

I thought Tiller had been out of coaching entirely for several years when several years when he went to Purdue as a D coach under Burtnett? And didn’t they all get fired because they couldn’t win, even with Everett? We were competitive with them then and we were down (IU’s coaches were Corso, Wyche and Mal during that period, and it was before BM got things going for us).

Barry Alvarez was a career defensive coach and was ND’s D coordinator when Donna Shalala and Pat Richter hired him at Wisconsin, where his teams were known for their offensive approach (specifically, their power running game). Plenty of D coaches can and do become excellent offensive stewards.
Stoops was a defensive guy and so was Saban. Nick was our DB’s coach at the Oilers under Jerry Glanville in 1989.

"Chris...." - Jim Rome

You probably won't say it again...

The one time I can say I actually cheered for a Puke..

I thought Tiller had been out of coaching entirely for several years when several years when he went to Purdue as a D coach under Burtnett? And didn’t they all get fired because they couldn’t win, even with Everett? We were competitive with them then and we were down (IU’s coaches were Corso, Wyche and Mal during that period, and it was before BM got things going for us).
More than several:

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1965–1970Montana State (OL/DL)
1971Washington State (DL)
1972–1973Washington State (OC/OL)
1974–1982Calgary Stampeders (assistant)
1976Calgary Stampeders (interim HC)
1983–1986Purdue (AHC/DC/DL)
1987–1988Wyoming (OC/OL)
1989–1990Washington State (AHC/OC/OL)
1991–1996Wyoming
1997–2008Purdue