ISU
Akron
Rutgers

Coaching advantage
Maryland
MSU
Purdue

Equal talent UL & Illinois

That’s 8 winnable games. Maryland & Illinois are wildcards. Maryland has a ton of talent and Illinois is a tough, tough team and matchup.
How many winnable games did you see the last two seasons?

That doesn't mean anything about this year. O' Connell played at an elite level in 2021 and also very good last year.
No no.. I’m saying I predicted how bad we’d be the two years BEFORE Oconnell started the bulk of games. I actually also predicted 5-7 in 2021, which we would have been had Oconnell not come out of nowhere to replace plummer.

This is very true, but let’s look at the bad from last year, an 8-4 team (that probably goes 6-6 with this years schedule).

> Dale Williams was a horrifically bad offensive line coach. There were a ton of career ending injuries to offensive linemen early in brohm’s tenure, but the ones who didn’t get hurt rarely got much better, Eric Miller was always bad, and even the good ones like Hartwig and Holstege were really good pass blockers but didn’t get much push in the run.

> They had no outside wide receiver opposite Jones. When Wright was ineligible, they tried to rely on mershawn rice, Broc thompson and Yaseen opposite Jones on the left side. Thompson got hurt again, as did Yaseen and rice just wasn’t very good. Outstanding WR coach Jamarcus shepherd Moved on to be Washington’s OC and his replacement royally sucked.

Because of this, they moved their best slot guy, TJ sheffield, along with another slot guy, Deion Burks, to the left side. Neither could contest passes on the outside.

> Devin mockobee was awesome, but he only got a chance to be the full time guy near midway through the season. And if you go back and watch, most of his impact his runs were to the outside and of his own making. It was a terrible run blocking OL.

> the secondary was atrocious. Brohm rarely recruited DBs who played, and those who did were rarely that great. Cory trice said he didn’t feel 100% till midway through the year. They never had a corner who was that great opposite trice Sanoussi Kane was getting comfortable at SS. Chris Jefferson went mental and left the team after the Maryland game. Their biggest problem was that Ron English’s strategy was to go press man single high. This put way too much stress on cam Allen. He could play center field. He couldn’t do that and make open field tackles in an ocean.

> Jalen Graham missed a bunch of games and the rest of the linebackers were eh.. our two MLBs were very slow. That’s fine when karlaftis is wrecking shop and the entire offense is compensating for it. When he was gone they were just abused. I’d never want to get hit by fakasiieki or Douglas, but I just might be able to outrun them and definitely could have at that age.

> The defensive line didn’t have one guy who could get pressure if the defense focused on him. Sullivan couldn’t get pressure against one on ones. He was slow for a 3T. Deen was skilled and a great leader, but undersized without the explosiveness to make up for it. The NT position was good.

Why 8-4 this year? Walters has already flipped the roster and if you look at the defense, other than Purdue, Michigan and Mississippi state, every team either failed to run or pass at all against Illinois last year. He mostly does well against teams whose identity is to run the football. Illinois biggest problem last year in losses like Indiana is that they just couldn’t score, but that had nothing to do with Walters. Bielema’s offense sucks and it’s why Illinois is going 5-7 this year.

So look at the preseason.

Fresno state - they have the offense to beat walters, but those schools all have a problem now.. if a kid like Evan Williams establishes himself as a good young player there, now he just transfers to Oregon, which is exactly what happened. New QB, new RB.

Virginia tech and Syracuse are run heavy teams who can pass on you if they set up the run first. Walters slams the door on the run, which means you need to have an operator like Oconnell back there.. someone who can operate even if his team isn’t running the ball a ton. Neither have that.

Indiana and northwestern have their own problems. Oh man does northwestern lol. So that’s five.

And between Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, and Illinois plus upset factor in the rest of the schedule, I think we get 3 more. I’m also a believer that this years Ohio state may be more 2004 Ohio state than some juggernaut. Ohio state 3-5 in their last 8 in West Lafayette

I’d love to hear your breakdown of your team. I read up on all the teams in Phil Steele and athlon so I have some familiarity. Your defense may deliver bad news to some boilers who have low expectations. QB is the question

No no.. I’m saying I predicted how bad we’d be the two years BEFORE Oconnell started the bulk of games. I actually also predicted 5-7 in 2021, which we would have been had Oconnell not come out of nowhere to replace plummer.

This is very true, but let’s look at the bad from last year, an 8-4 team (that probably goes 6-6 with this years schedule).

> Dale Williams was a horrifically bad offensive line coach. There were a ton of career ending injuries to offensive linemen early in brohm’s tenure, but the ones who didn’t get hurt rarely got much better, Eric Miller was always bad, and even the good ones like Hartwig and Holstege were really good pass blockers but didn’t get much push in the run.

> They had no outside wide receiver opposite Jones. When Wright was ineligible, they tried to rely on mershawn rice, Broc thompson and Yaseen opposite Jones on the left side. Thompson got hurt again, as did Yaseen and rice just wasn’t very good. Outstanding WR coach Jamarcus shepherd Moved on to be Washington’s OC and his replacement royally sucked.

Because of this, they moved their best slot guy, TJ sheffield, along with another slot guy, Deion Burks, to the left side. Neither could contest passes on the outside.

> Devin mockobee was awesome, but he only got a chance to be the full time guy near midway through the season. And if you go back and watch, most of his impact his runs were to the outside and of his own making. It was a terrible run blocking OL.

> the secondary was atrocious. Brohm rarely recruited DBs who played, and those who did were rarely that great. Cory trice said he didn’t feel 100% till midway through the year. They never had a corner who was that great opposite trice Sanoussi Kane was getting comfortable at SS. Chris Jefferson went mental and left the team after the Maryland game. Their biggest problem was that Ron English’s strategy was to go press man single high. This put way too much stress on cam Allen. He could play center field. He couldn’t do that and make open field tackles in an ocean.

> Jalen Graham missed a bunch of games and the rest of the linebackers were eh.. our two MLBs were very slow. That’s fine when karlaftis is wrecking shop and the entire offense is compensating for it. When he was gone they were just abused. I’d never want to get hit by fakasiieki or Douglas, but I just might be able to outrun them and definitely could have at that age.

> The defensive line didn’t have one guy who could get pressure if the defense focused on him. Sullivan couldn’t get pressure against one on ones. He was slow for a 3T. Deen was skilled and a great leader, but undersized without the explosiveness to make up for it. The NT position was good.

Why 8-4 this year? Walters has already flipped the roster and if you look at the defense, other than Purdue, Michigan and Mississippi state, every team either failed to run or pass at all against Illinois last year. He mostly does well against teams whose identity is to run the football. Illinois biggest problem last year in losses like Indiana is that they just couldn’t score, but that had nothing to do with Walters. Bielema’s offense sucks and it’s why Illinois is going 5-7 this year.

So look at the preseason.

Fresno state - they have the offense to beat walters, but those schools all have a problem now.. if a kid like Evan Williams establishes himself as a good young player there, now he just transfers to Oregon, which is exactly what happened. New QB, new RB.

Virginia tech and Syracuse are run heavy teams who can pass on you if they set up the run first. Walters slams the door on the run, which means you need to have an operator like Oconnell back there.. someone who can operate even if his team isn’t running the ball a ton. Neither have that.

Indiana and northwestern have their own problems. Oh man does northwestern lol. So that’s five.

And between Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, and Illinois plus upset factor in the rest of the schedule, I think we get 3 more. I’m also a believer that this years Ohio state may be more 2004 Ohio state than some juggernaut. Ohio state 3-5 in their last 8 in West Lafayette

I’d love to hear your breakdown of your team. I read up on all the teams in Phil Steele and athlon so I have some familiarity. Your defense may deliver bad news to some boilers who have low expectations. QB is the question
1st cry I've ever had after reading a PUke story.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Because he shuts down teams whose primary identity is to run the football. He runs a 3-4 defense but it’s different than most. Instead of two big run stuffing linebackers in the middle he uses a 4-3 outside linebacker type and then a big safety.

He has done what a 3-4 coach has to do at Purdue… anywhere really, but especially hard at Purdue. He has a good stable of big nose tackles.

Cole Brevard, Demarje Lewis, Isiah Nichols, Mo Omonode and jamarion Harkless. What Walters sometimes does against Iowa type teams is put 3 nose tackles over the guards and center and play completely off the tackles. It devastated teams like Wisconsin and Iowa.

Indiana beat Walters. What you need to beat his defense is a multi read dynamic QB who doesn’t need to pass off play action. Bazelak was that that day. But ask yourself.. are most teams on our schedule?

And most importantly to answer your question… Walters brought in and paid a good staff. He fought for the money and got it.

I don’t fear Tom Allen. I hope he coaches there as long as possible. I fear Indiana eventually letting him go and hiring a good coach after Tom Allen. Even if said coach has never been a head coach I’ll have a good idea if he’s to be feared or not before he ever coaches a game. And now good coaches can flip a roster in one spring which Walters did.
You should apply for a job with the AD if you can predict who will be a successful HC when they've never been one.

What a man he is
Cracks me up, all these Boiler 'analysts' who have convinced themselves Walters is the second coming of Joe Tiller.

Who gives a shit what defense he ran against Iowa and Wisconsin - 2 mediocre teams last year.

And he built his reputation playing against B1G West teams. Big frickin' whoop.

Purdue has bought a pig in a poke, which is appropriate for them.

1st cry I've ever had after reading a PUke story.
Unlike a lot of Purdue fans I was pretty open about our short comings and always will be. I don’t root.. I talk about realities. Funny how fandom works.. now Dale Williams is a piece of it. The day before brohm quit only I thought so lol.

You should apply for a job with the AD if you can predict who will be a successful HC when they've never been one.
Well it goes both ways. Darrell hazell walked into a press conference before he coached at Purdue and said “I’m going to do what jim tressel did in Columbus at Purdue.” Well I knew he was done before he started right there. You’re never going to get the athletes at Purdue that you get at Ohio state.. so running the ball out of a 21 set and playing defense isn’t a viable strategy.. I said the guy was done before he started.

If Indiana cans Allen.. and get this.. hires a guy who ran #3 defense at a school like Illinois (118 when he arrived).. and then he hires a competent offensive staff to pass the ball… I’ll be predicting the same thing for Indiana.

Just like I told Purdue fans you guys were a dangerous team if penix stayed healthy.. before he had much success

Well it goes both ways. Darrell hazell walked into a press conference before he coached at Purdue and said “I’m going to do what jim tressel did in Columbus at Purdue.” Well I knew he was done before he started right there. You’re never going to get the athletes at Purdue that you get at Ohio state.. so running the ball out of a 21 set and playing defense isn’t a viable strategy.. I said the guy was done before he started.

If Indiana cans Allen.. and get this.. hires a guy who ran #3 defense at a school like Illinois (118 when he arrived).. and then he hires a competent offensive staff to pass the ball… I’ll be predicting the same thing for Indiana.

Just like I told Purdue fans you guys were a dangerous team if penix stayed healthy.. before he had much success
I don't think improving a defense against the B1G West is all that impressive - and his defense collapsed against one of the worst - probably THE worse - offenses in the B1G.

I know I'm looking forward to the next Bucket game. We'll see if you're still posting here by then.

I don't think improving a defense against the B1G West is all that impressive - and his defense collapsed against one of the worst - probably THE worse - offenses in the B1G.

I know I'm looking forward to the next Bucket game. We'll see if you're still posting here by then.
I’ve been posting here forever. When I’m not it’s usually because I note a fact like .. you guys never beat big ten west teams and your head no evil speak no evil moderators ban me. If we are bad and even lose the bucket game I’ll say we are bad and lost the bucket game.

Not that impressive against the big ten west? Hmm.. they held Michigan to 19 points. Even you guys got a whopping 23 points on them. Well done but Illinois scored 20. He’s not responsible for bielema’s shit offense.

He will also be playing in.. the big ten west this year lol.

And we have protected games against you guys Illinois and northwestern going forward. I like it!

I’m a big believer UCLA will be as easy of a win here as a lot of big ten west teams.

Unlike a lot of Purdue fans I was pretty open about our short comings and always will be. I don’t root.. I talk about realities. Funny how fandom works.. now Dale Williams is a piece of it. The day before brohm quit only I thought so lol.
Shortcomings, you come to the enemy site and write dissertations of PUke efficacy. Comedy Central on an IU website provided by PUke Jester. Bray on.

Reactions: DANC
Reactions: TomEric4756
Cracks me up, all these Boiler 'analysts' who have convinced themselves Walters is the second coming of Joe Tiller.

Who gives a shit what defense he ran against Iowa and Wisconsin - 2 mediocre teams last year.

“You should apply for a job with the AD if you can predict who will be a successful HC when they've never been one.”

Weird you failed to mention michigan had their worst offensive performances of the year vs Illinois. Held PSU to 18 two years ago, in 9 OT's.

No one has said he's the second coming of Tiller. We've said we think he will be good. And explained it. You've said he won't be and cited like 1 game, where the defense still did enough to win and the offense failed them. He started building his reputation in the SEC actually.

Weird you failed to mention michigan had their worst offensive performances of the year vs Illinois. Held PSU to 18 two years ago, in 9 OT's.

No one has said he's the second coming of Tiller. We've said we think he will be good. And explained it. You've said he won't be and cited like 1 game, where the defense still did enough to win and the offense failed them. He started building his reputation in the SEC actually.
Who won that Michigan-Illinois game?

Shortcomings, you come to the enemy site and write dissertations of PUke efficacy. Comedy Central on an IU website provided by PUke Jester. Bray on.
Well your post was about crying us a river.

And it depends on the year. I posted on here before 2019 about how we were gonna go 5-7.

My hope by the way is that you will tell me all the things you think about your team. I’m just a college junky.

When you guys all said you were gonna be good before 2020 I was like “I think they are right.”

I have a question.. don’t you feel like all fan bases have pretty much an equal percentage of all kinds of people? I’m sorry if someone stuck their tongue out at you in school and said “in your face IU sucks”.. but that’s just not me man.

When you guys post on our board and you’re cordial and dont slam Purdue.. I’m cordial back.

PS hats off.. a lot of times you guys just have more football talk going on since Louis Skolnick, Gilbert and Dudley Dawson (dienhart) took 90% of Purdue fans to on3.

And it depends on the year. I posted on here before 2019 about how we were gonna go 5-7.

My hope by the way is that you will tell me all the things you think about your team. I’m just a college junky.

When you guys all said you were gonna be good before 2020 I was like “I think they are right.”

I have a question.. don’t you feel like all fan bases have pretty much an equal percentage of all kinds of people? I’m sorry if someone stuck their tongue out at you in school and said “in your face IU sucks”.. but that’s just not me man.

When you guys post on our board and you’re cordial and dont slam Purdue.. I’m cordial back.
Like I told your your fellow Purdue fan, there are a couple of trolls here well known for this kind of nonsense. The football talk usually scares them away.

Reactions: BoilerN
Yet you call me out for having an actual discussion on football. Lol call out those that have not talked football and instead just resort to belittling others. That's a troll.
Roll eyes

I called you out for trolling another poster on our board. At least you are honest about being a pu fan.

Last edited:

I posted on your board long ago, it was a waste of time as this has to be for you three.

Go home. You're wasting o2 here.

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT