ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey tonight

Edey committed 5 fouls in 18 minutes tonight. Equalling his career total at Purdue. Dude got away with murder
Smart guy, he'll adjust. Just as he would have if the B10 refs ever decided to start blowing the whistle on him.

And only 4 shot attempts as the Grizzlies starters struggled to beat the Mavs backups.
It is going to be interesting how he ends up playing "off the ball". They aren't likely going to run much of anything for him with guys like Ja Morant on their team. So coming from a situation where literally every single playwas designed to get him the ball on the block, to maybe getting a couple every game in certain situations...often none though... Well, lets just say it'll be interesting how he adapts to that.

I do see some potential for a decent amount of lobs from Ja though. That could become a staple for Edey.

It is going to be interesting how he ends up playing "off the ball". They aren't likely going to run much of anything for him with guys like Ja Morant on their team. So coming from a situation where literally every single playwas designed to get him the ball on the block, to maybe getting a couple every game in certain situations...often none though... Well, lets just say it'll be interesting how he adapts to that.

I do see some potential for a decent amount of lobs from Ja though. That could become a staple for Edey.
He doesn't need to score much in the NBA to be valuable. Setting screens, protecting the paint, extending possessions and rebounding alone will make him valuable. I've said all along, I think he'll have a long NBA career, but doubt it will be as a primary scorer.

Last edited:
He doesn't need to score much in the NBA to be valuable. Setting screens, protecting the pain, extending possessions and rebounding alone will make him valuable. I've said all along, I think he'll have a long NBA career, but doubt it will be as a primary scorer.
That's all fair and probably a likely scenario. No clue why you draft a guy like that 9th though.

Last edited:
He doesn't need to score much in the NBA to be valuable. Setting screens, protecting the pain, extending possessions and rebounding alone will make him valuable. I've said all along, I think he'll have a long NBA career, but doubt it will be as a primary scorer.
Agreed...it'll just be interesting to see how he adapts to that role. Often times in the NBA, that role is filled by guys that have quite a lot better ball skills than Edey has so far. He can shoot free throws, and his improvements in college were pretty dramatic, so I'm sure he'll develop all this. But as of now, he can't handle the ball, and has actually been a pretty awful passer out of the post. Hard to think of someone on Ja Morant's team, that isn't a good passer, sticking... Hope he does though, honestly.

Agreed...it'll just be interesting to see how he adapts to that role. Often times in the NBA, that role is filled by guys that have quite a lot better ball skills than Edey has so far. He can shoot free throws, and his improvements in college were pretty dramatic, so I'm sure he'll develop all this. But as of now, he can't handle the ball, and has actually been a pretty awful passer out of the post. Hard to think of someone on Ja Morant's team, that isn't a good passer, sticking... Hope he does though, honestly.
Yeah, I never thought he was a great passer, but many PU folks lauded him for it. My view was, with 3 guys collapsed on him, anyone he could hit would be open but I never thought he was crafty in finding the right guy. That was something TJD improved on amazingly. But when I think of guys like Ben Wallace, Rodman, Dale Davis, Buck Williams, or Mark Eaton there have always been guys who hung around and were valuable but not good ball handlers. I'd think if he can improve his passing that would be the biggest ROI and realistic. Not sure he'll ever be someone you want handling the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT