ADVERTISEMENT

Youth mental health crisis

My kids are obsessed with basketball - even tho we live somewhere where it’s not popular. They play it outside on our driveway for at least an hour a day. I’m contemplating installing a half court sport court but I’m worried the minute I do they’ll lose interest. That thing is expensive.
You can use it. So much more fun than jogging

Some of my perspective is borne of having one of the kids that it became clear early on wasn't going to make it. A "classic" player as they say - if the check clears we'll find a team for her
For sure. It's hard to find our own passions let alone helping our kids find theirs, which may be one reason why many parents so often conflate the two.

Not saying that's you, but regardless your daughter is lucky to have you because you obviously love her a ton.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I now my kids 15 years ago were involved in way more organized sports than I ever was. Pretty much year-round. Guessing that has something to do with the lack of interest in pick-up games.
My son played AAU basketball, travel baseball and junior golf events. Looking back it was all too much. As a Freshman he backed up Cody Zeller as a 6’5” freshman. Guarded Cody all year in practice and played mop up time. Actually got playing time in state championship game. Washington won 4 state championships from 2004-2010. He came out first game his sophomore year and played a great game and beat Barr Reeve to start the year. Fans were euphoric that the run was going to continue. I don’t know that he had a decent game the rest of high school and quit with 3 games left his senior year. The coach was unmercifully hard on him and he couldn’t handle it. The stress was too much. He ended up having a good golf and tennis career in High School. His best sport baseball he never played after 7th grade.

There was lots of fun and excitement over the years but it was too much sports.

The author of a NY Times story on a crisis in mental health among youth was on Smerconish this morning. Here is the Smerconish interview:

And here is the NYTimes story.

So smoking, drinking, drugs, sex, and tv watching are all down among kids, why are depression and suicide going up?

In the interview the author is not willing to say smart phones/internet ARE the cause, but they are at least part of the problem. Kids are not in face-to-face contact as much with their peers.

But in the article another point exists that did not come up, the average age of puberty continues to decline. Adolescence is a tough time with huge desires to "fit in". But the body may be starting that now before the brain has developed a strong sense of self. Combined with the internet this can be a big problem.

Google does show that across the west puberty is starting earlier and earlier.

I would suggest keeping phones from kids, but that "fitting in" problem raises its head, being the only kid in a class without a phone will cause problems.

This link says the current age in US and Canada is between 9 and 11 for girls, https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/Pages/conditions.aspx?hwid=te7260#:~:text=Most of these changes occur,signs of puberty in girls.
For US teens , males and blacks have the best mental health while females and LGBT have the worst.
“The LGBT share among young Americans tripled in the last decade to 21%. Trans & non-binary identification may be up as much as 1000%”

I know my kids 15 years ago were involved in way more organized sports than I ever was. Pretty much year-round. Guessing that has something to do with the lack of interest in pick-up games.
I was at a soccer tourney this weekend. Four games. At least the weather was nice.

I was talking to the parent of one of the kids on the other team. They were from Columbus, OH. She was about my age (stop thinking it) and I asked her what was the furthest she or her siblings traveled to play a sport prior to high school.

Her answer: 5 miles.

Youth sports are a cash grab mostly to make the parents feel better or feel their child is a high level athlete.

Spoiler: they're not.

I realize now that my daughter probably isn't going to play past high school unless something changes and she become super invested in progressing her abilities. But that's fine. I don't like the way it's organized but bucking the system now provides no options. Even rec leagues are dead (for the most part) once kids get past 13 or 14. When, honestly, a rec league of players her age from the town we live and ones nearby would probably be every bit as competitive as what she's playing in now.

Agree wholeheartedly on the lack of pick up basketball games. Every night when i was a teenager, and even up until the mid aughts, there would be people at the park when it was warm enough and not raining/snowing. We used to wipe the wet courts down with newspaper to dry them off. Now they are empty. Overscheduled kids. Laziness. Phones. Whatever.

I was at a soccer tourney this weekend. Four games. At least the weather was nice.

I was talking to the parent of one of the kids on the other team. They were from Columbus, OH. She was about my age (stop thinking it) and I asked her what was the furthest she or her siblings traveled to play a sport prior to high school.

Her answer: 5 miles.

Youth sports are a cash grab mostly to make the parents feel better or feel their child is a high level athlete.

Spoiler: they're not.

I realize now that my daughter probably isn't going to play past high school unless something changes and she become super invested in progressing her abilities. But that's fine. I don't like the way it's organized but bucking the system now provides no options. Even rec leagues are dead (for the most part) once kids get past 13 or 14. When, honestly, a rec league of players her age from the town we live and ones nearby would probably be every bit as competitive as what she's playing in now.

Agree wholeheartedly on the lack of pick up basketball games. Every night when i was a teenager, and even up until the mid aughts, there would be people at the park when it was warm enough and not raining/snowing. We used to wipe the wet courts down with newspaper to dry them off. Now they are empty. Overscheduled kids. Laziness. Phones. Whatever.

Growing up, we had elementary school leagues. We had church leagues, and we had Parks and Rec leagues. And of course, pickup games. I know the elementary leagues went away, I think the church leagues did too. I imagine that killed church attendance by 8-12 year olds.

I think people are right, too many youth sports have become cash grabs. I love sports, and all three of mine were put into leagues early on. But two would quickly quit and become band geeks. I learned that the same lessons I thought sports taught were also taught by band. They worked hard, sometimes in horrible weather, and learned teamwork. I suspect theater and art also can teach these lessons. But for some reason, we are too caught up in only sports and I think it is 1) us reliving our youth and 2) that dream of a scholarship.

Reactions: larsIU
Growing up, we had elementary school leagues. We had church leagues, and we had Parks and Rec leagues. And of course, pickup games. I know the elementary leagues went away, I think the church leagues did too. I imagine that killed church attendance by 8-12 year olds.

I think people are right, too many youth sports have become cash grabs. I love sports, and all three of mine were put into leagues early on. But two would quickly quit and become band geeks. I learned that the same lessons I thought sports taught were also taught by band. They worked hard, sometimes in horrible weather, and learned teamwork. I suspect theater and art also can teach these lessons. But for some reason, we are too caught up in only sports and I think it is 1) us reliving our youth and 2) that dream of a scholarship.
In soccer it's all the scam. Parents pay $1,500 to $10,000 a year in hopes of a D1 scholly. There are only 9.9. 6 to foreigners and 3.9 divided amongst 12 guys. Better off putting money into a college savings program than falling for that bs. Play for fun. That's it.

Agreed on band/theater/fill in the blank. Any activity where a group of young people must work together and hold each other accountable will suffice. Let's face it, none of us are getting paid to play sports. But we are getting paid to work iwthin a team, lead a team, contribute, etc.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
In soccer it's all the scam. Parents pay $1,500 to $10,000 a year in hopes of a D1 scholly. There are only 9.9. 6 to foreigners and 3.9 divided amongst 12 guys. Better off putting money into a college savings program than falling for that bs. Play for fun. That's it.

Frankly, we'd be better going the Euro route of club sports. But that's just me. I am dismayed by how much our universities pump into sports. And as you note, a whole lot of scholarships going overseas. I once met a person who went to Wright State on a fencing scholarship. She said almost everyone fencing was European, Americans just don't fence. Maybe suggest fencing to your soccer parent buddies?

Frankly, we'd be better going the Euro route of club sports. But that's just me. I am dismayed by how much our universities pump into sports. And as you note, a whole lot of scholarships going overseas. I once met a person who went to Wright State on a fencing scholarship. She said almost everyone fencing was European, Americans just don't fence. Maybe suggest fencing to your soccer parent buddies?
Okay I just looked up fencing. Crazy expensive!!! Lessons. Equipment. Trips. I could get a girlfriend for what fencing costs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT