ADVERTISEMENT

You're driving a convertible with the top down on a gorgeous night. You've got one song to play.

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
What's your pick.

When I was a teenager I used to take my parents 25th Anniversary Mustang out for a spin. My go to song back then was Dire Straits "Money for Nothing". I'm sticking with that song. The build up in the intro is amazing, when the guitar riffs start you push the pedal to the medal and see what that engine could do. Those were good days.

Btw, my brother took the car out without my parents knowing when they were out of town and went to the IU/Missouri football game in Columbia. I believe it was 1991. He crashed the car and totalled it about 5 minutes away from home on the way back. He fell asleep at the wheel. Luckily he wasnt injured, but what a dumbass.

Last edited:
Depends on the mood and the companion, I don't know why but this one came to mind as an ultimate cruisin' song

and of course some "All Day Music"

I've often wondered, when some thumper pulls into a gas station or at a red light with his music way too loud if a cultural exchange might be in order. If I only had the speakers to handle it.

Reactions: All4You
play. What's your pick.

When I was a teenager I used to take my parents 25th Anniversary Mustang out for a spin. My go to song back then was Dire Straits "Money for Nothing". I'm sticking with that song. The build up in the intro is amazing, when the guitar riffs start you push the pedal to the medal and see what that engine could do. Those were good days.

Btw, my brother took the car out without my parents knowing when they were out of town and went to the IU/Missouri football game in Columbia. I believe it was 1991. He crashed the car and totalled it about 5 minutes away from home on the way back. He fell asleep at the wheel. Luckily he wasnt injured, but what a dumbass.

Reminds me of my room-mate from Jackson Heights. I wanted to buy a classic Mustang, cant remember the year. I found one in the adverts -- some old lady was getting rid of her/hubby's. My room-mate came along claiming that he knows cars. (He owned a facking hand-me-down Pinto, so he MUST know cars considering how reliable they were.)

My buddy tested it first. We drove it around the block for a bit then he said, we need to do the 'neutral drop' to see what the car can do.

If any of you dont know what that it, just dont do it. Shortly after the revs and the engaging of the transmission into D, we heard a loud clanking. The car just would not move forward anymore.

However, it was able to still work in reverse.

So for the next few blocks around Bloomington, we drove the car back in reverse. And if you are asking me which streets we drove on in reverse, I was on the floor in stitches and in tears. So I was unable to see the street signs.

With a straight face, we told the old lady that there was something wrong with the car and it sucked. Then we facked off like two bank robbers only can in a hand-me-down Ford Pinto.)

To this day, my ex-room-mate insists he saved me a bundle of dosh by doing the neutral drop on that classic Mustang.

I have always wondered if he does the neutral drop on any of his cars he buys at the car dealers or he has his ID photo plastered on every car dealer in the Chicagoland area.

Last edited:
I've often wondered, when some thumper pulls into a gas station or at a red light with his music way too loud if a cultural exchange might be in order. If I only had the speakers to handle it.

With the way things are going with Boris Johnson/Brexit, I can see it being more popular.

giphy.gif

My go to song back then was Dire Straits "Money for Nothing". I'm sticking with that song.

Especially if it is the Alchemy Live version.

I met my wife because of that song. I'd go back to my IU University apartment with its paper-thin walls after a tough day and crank I'd crank Alchemy Live, Money for Nothing. The cute girl I shared a wall with politely came over and asked if I could please turn it down, because she was studying.

Reminds me of my room-mate from Jackson Heights. I wanted to buy a classic Mustang, cant remember the year. I found one in the adverts -- some old lady was getting rid of her/hubby's. My room-mate came along claiming that he knows cars. (He owned a facking hand-me-down Pinto, so he MUST know cars considering how reliable they were.)

My buddy tested it first. We drove it around the block for a bit then he said, we need to do the 'neutral drop' to see what the car can do.

If any of you dont know what that it, just dont do it. Shortly after the revs and the engaging of the transmission into D, we heard a loud clanking. The car just would not move forward anymore.

However, it was able to still work in reverse.

So for the next few blocks around Bloomington, we drove the car back in reverse. And if you are asking me which streets we drove on in reverse, I was on the floor in stitches and in tears. So I was unable to see the street signs.

With a straight face, we told the old lady that there was something wrong with the car and it sucked. Then we facked off like two bank robbers only can in a hand-me-down Ford Pinto.)

To this day, my ex-room-mate insists he saved me a bundle of dosh by doing the neutral drop on that classic Mustang.

I have always wondered if he does the neutral drop on any of his cars he buys at the car dealers or he has his ID photo plastered on every car dealer in the Chicagoland area.
Your friend was an idiot. I was warned just revving the engine in neutral in the older 325i (E30) BMW's would blow the internal seals in the transmission. Dropping any car into gear while revving the engine is stupid and could damage an otherwise good transmission, U joints or rearend. Especially never do that in an older car.

Hair of the Dog was what I was going to post! I used to have a rather loud Mustang with no A/C. It required that my Alpine with a separate amp needed to be cranked up and the windows down when we were cruising. Hair of the Dog was my favorite. The Mustang was sometimes too small to cruise in so others would drive around in their cars and Heat of the Moment by Asia was popular.

I also had a Chevy 4x4 that was given to me that I called Frankenstein that I would also bring out. Nearly every body part was a different color, but it had a great engine, Monster Mudder tires and was lifted enough to drive over many obstacles. It was a Rat Rod before they were popular. We piled several people in the bed and plugged a boom box into the cigarette lighter. Best cruising wagon EVER! The truck was finally painted flat black primer and parked for a few months after an incident involving shrubs along a bus path at a rival high school.

As a reminder, cruising was something we did in the 80's before whatever it is that kids do today. Cruising led to meeting girls and how we found out where the parties were. If there were no parties, we created one.

Last edited:
Reactions: All4You
What's your pick.

LOL I loathe that song

About time ... though it didn't save the thread.

This may be the worst selection of music ever posted on the OTF/AOTF.

WTF is wrong with you people?
What’s your pick then? One song

About time ... though it didn't save the thread.

This may be the worst selection of music ever posted on the OTF/AOTF.

WTF is wrong with you people?
The question wasn't what is your favorite music. It was what you would play in your convertible as you cruised.

I remember my friends or the teams I played on when I hear certain songs that were played over and over. I got sick of the songs, but the memories are awesome.

some tunes you need to watch the speedometer on. (cruise control recommended when driving).

i'm with Lookwell, but just skip to the 2:40 mark and go with the solo live.

just me, or is there a definite Stevie - Lindsey vibe.

A throwback for you:

Saw them at IU years ago.

some groups i saw in IU Auditorium back in the day.

she plays a mean sax solo as well.

saw Johnny Mathis, The Lettermen, Peter Nero, Peter Gabrial, at The IUA as well, but not cruisin music.
------------------------------------------------------------------

at the HPER,

--------------------------------------------------------------

set up in the Memorial Stadium parking lot east of the east stands, pre AH being built.

HPER and MS parking lot gigs were all free.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at AH, saw The Temptations with Michael Jackson or The Jackson 5, can't remember which, as the warm up. (either free or $5, but i think free).

also at AH, Neil Young, ELO, Kansas, Yes, Greg Kihn, Hall & Oats.

Last edited:
Reactions: dr.jb
some groups i saw in IU Auditorium back in the day.

she plays a mean sax solo as well.

saw Johnny Mathis, The Lettermen, Peter Nero, Peter Gabrial, at The IUA as well, but not cruisin music.
------------------------------------------------------------------

at the HPER,

--------------------------------------------------------------

set up in the Memorial Stadium parking lot east of the east stands, pre AH being built.

HPER and MS parking lot gigs were all free.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at AH, saw The Temptations with Michael Jackson or The Jackson 5, can't remember which, as the warm up. (either free or $5, but i think free).

also at AH, Neil Young, ELO, Kansas, Yes, Greg Kihn, Hall & Oats.

Bloody nora! Thats going back a few years!!

What's your pick.

Stars on the water originally from Rodney Crowell and also performed by George Strait.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT