ADVERTISEMENT

Your local EXPERT bracket talk

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Given the info the comittee gave when they listed the top 16 seeds, it is pretty easy to see that 3 fours, and 3 threes should have switched places. Tenn and UVA have went 1-2, and Iowa State has nose dived and might not even be a 4 anymore, going 0-3. Meanwhile we have went 2-1, and the Zags and Marquette have not lost.

Like I posted a few weeks back, we win these next two, we should be a lock for a 3. A three seed I would say is overachieving even with the ridiculous preseason hype. The hall will be crazy this week. 2 more wins fellas!

I saw 4-0
I’ll be happy with 3-1

3-4 seed is fine by me. This team is still Improving and still not healthy

The potential and ability is there to make a serious run. Need some luck

If IU won out including the B1G tournament could they get to a 1 seed?

Given the info the comittee gave when they listed the top 16 seeds, it is pretty easy to see that 3 fours, and 3 threes should have switched places. Tenn and UVA have went 1-2, and Iowa State has nose dived and might not even be a 4 anymore, going 0-3. Meanwhile we have went 2-1, and the Zags and Marquette have not lost.

Like I posted a few weeks back, we win these next two, we should be a lock for a 3. A three seed I would say is overachieving even with the ridiculous preseason hype. The hall will be crazy this week. 2 more wins fellas!
I’d say a 3 seed would not meet the preseason hype of BiG regular season champion which hardly ever gets less than a 2 line. Stack a BiG tournament championship, and a two line at 7 or 8 yet may be available

Reactions: jet812
Unlikely KU, SEC champ, UCLA and Houston are likely locked in … BiG may get a 1 seed, but PU losses give the committee an excuse to give them a 2. (Especially if they lose a third time to IU in the BTT)

Unlikely KU, SEC champ, UCLA and Houston are likely locked in … BiG may get a 1 seed, but PU losses give the committee an excuse to give them a 2. (Especially if they lose a third time to IU in the BTT)
FIFY

(Especially when they lose a third time to IU in the BTT)

I think we'll be a 4 in Houston's bracket.

I’d say a 3 seed would not meet the preseason hype of BiG regular season champion which hardly ever gets less than a 2 line. Stack a BiG tournament championship, and a two line at 7 or 8 yet may be available
The preseason hype did NOT assume that we would not have our starting 5 for any conference game at full strength. In fact, of the 100 possible starter games (5 x 20), my math says we have lost nearly 30% of these due to injury where the starter did not play. Add to that additional games where the starter played but were obviously not 100% and I would offer finishing 2nd proves the preseason hype and depth were real.

We win the next 2, we might be a 4. The B-10 is weak and being IU no one will be doing us any favors.

We win the next 2, we might be a 4. The B-10 is weak and being IU no one will be doing us any favors.
The committee that actually makes these decisions already has us as a 4. Why wouldn’t it make us a 3 if we win out?

Not a chance Still would have 9 losses and finish regular season 25-9. I would say should we run the table at best we would be a 2 seed and if not that, the highest 3 seed and a lock for it. But I'd say more likely a 2 seed if IU were to finish the season on a 6 game win streak and conference tourney champs.

You do understand that the pre-bracket was out. IU was the top 4 seed. This isn’t a projection it’s the committee picking those. If IU wins out they will be at least a 4.

Reactions: T.M.P. and Cavanagh
Not a chance Still would have 9 losses and finish regular season 25-9. I would say should we run the table at best we would be a 2 seed and if not that, the highest 3 seed and a lock for it. But I'd say more likely a 2 seed if IU were to finish the season on a 6 game win streak and conference tourney champs.
The big tournament doesn’t matter for at large unless a team not in wins the big tournament. Then they kick a bubble team out. If IU wins the next 2 they will be a low 3 to high 4. The committee has spoken.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
The big tournament doesn’t matter for at large unless a team not in wins the big tournament. Then they kick a bubble team out. If IU wins the next 2 they will be a low 3 to high 4. The committee has spoken.
Understood and on the same page. I was speaking to you asking if IU wins out if they get a 1 seed.

How bout when we won it and got a 5 seed in 2016? 15-3 mind you lol
IU got hosed …. ;^) ….
Let’s see: 5 non conference losses … #14 in AP … #2 MSU won BTT automatic bid … 27-8 record.
5 seed was perhaps harsh.

Last edited:
The preseason hype did NOT assume that we would not have our starting 5 for any conference game at full strength. In fact, of the 100 possible starter games (5 x 20), my math says we have lost nearly 30% of these due to injury where the starter did not play. Add to that additional games where the starter played but were obviously not 100% and I would offer finishing 2nd proves the preseason hype and depth were real.
Exactly

I would love to see senior night speeches that follow a win.
I’m so freaking tired of losing on senior night. I was too depressed to even stay last year. I stay for TJD no matter what but it needs to be a W

Educated Guesses on my part...

Both our remaining games will be Quad 2 games for the NET system. Currently we're ranked 18 in the NET, and 21 in KenPom. That points to 4/5 seed range if they were seeding today. Not all the committee members use these ratings as gospel, but the NET rankings are usually used pretty heavily, and I'm sure there are a lot of committee members that use the analytics a lot too.

If we win both our remaining games, I wouldn't anticipate a huge jump in either the NET or KenPom, probably 15ish in NET, 18-19 maybe in KenPom. End of season is harder to make big movements, and Quad 2 games aren't going to move the needle a ton either direction.

Assuming we win both, and win a game or two in the BTT...I think we end up with one of the higher 4 seeds. Obviously if other teams ahead of us lose out, or lose more than they win, we could jump up into a 3 seed. But I think it would take us making the BTT final, and/or other teams ahead of us faltering, for that to happen.

Mainly just want us to build on the second half of the Purdue game, and some of the other good recent performances...and trend upward the next few weeks. I'm sure we're all going to think the draw is crappy, no matter who we get. And we've all had enough horrible NCAA brackets enough to know that we have no idea how it'll go once they're announced. And this year, as much as any I can remember, is more up in the air.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT