ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite play of the game........

The set play curl for Kopp that led to the easy dunk for Race. Totally planned. Exceptional play. Xavier just stood there holding the ball on his hip til Race was wide open under the hoop.

Reactions: mk24, RBB89 and ORG
For some reason, I loved Trey's steal and quick layup on Maryland's inbounds.

Any others?
XJ’s entire performance. Maybe he’s finally comfortable in the system. 8pts and 9 assists add up to a minimum overall contribution of 26 points to go with, what, only 2 turnovers? And he had a steal to make up for one of those TOs ;)

XJ’s entire performance. Maybe he’s finally comfortable in the system. 8pts and 9 assists add up to a minimum overall contribution of 26 points to go with, what, only 2 turnovers? And he had a steal to make up for one of those TOs ;)

Any others?
I go with Race's 2d three pointer. It shows me that the last 3 were not just lucky shots and that we can expect to see more.

TJD pass in transition to a wide open Jordan.
TJD made at least two no-look outlet passes yesterday for perimeter shots - one was to Kopp and the other to Xavier I believe. Haven't seen that from him before. Very nice addition and gives the shooters extra time to square up before the help defense can recover.

Reactions: kkott and mk24
TJD made at least two no-look outlet passes yesterday for perimeter shots - one was to Kopp and the other to Xavier I believe. Haven't seen that from him before. Very nice addition and gives the shooters extra time to square up before the help defense can recover.
His passing has drastically improved.

Reactions: kkott and mk24
I really like this thread. Pure appreciation of BB. Also great inadvertent recap of fun moments. In fact on this Monday with no golf scheduled (except maybe 9 later with my beautiful wife) I think I will sit down and watch the game again without 2-3 bourbons in me 🤪😬

Any others?
Man. Tough to pick just a single play. I guess the last possession in the first half. We finally executed to get a good play and with the emphatic throw down, I think that really crushed their spirits and helped lead us to a good start in the second half.

One of the things I'm always emphasizing to my 12U kids is throwing the correct pass and putting it in the right spot. Rec league kids are often surprised to learn better players worry about where to place the ball for the receiver. I put it on the receiver and always tell them to have their hands out and give the passer a target. I don't really tell them to attempt no-look passes unless I just have a really good ball-handler/passer but do emphasize to them using your peripheral vision and seeing the floor, which is the building block. Sorry for the diversion to 12U rec league ball, but your post just made me think about all the level of detail that are added, each step up the food chain you go in terms of competition.

Similarly when I teach them FT golf, alot of them are amazed that you can actually try and swish a FT vs just making it!

I believe there was an offensive possession where Geronimo secured 2 offensive rebounds. Dished the first one for another miss from 3, decided he'd take care of business on the next attempt with a put back. Those 3rd chance opps are so deflating for the other team.

One of the things I'm always emphasizing to my 12U kids is throwing the correct pass and putting it in the right spot. Rec league kids are often surprised to learn better players worry about where to place the ball for the receiver. I put it on the receiver and always tell them to have their hands out and give the passer a target. I don't really tell them to attempt no-look passes unless I just have a really good ball-handler/passer but do emphasize to them using your peripheral vision and seeing the floor, which is the building block. Sorry for the diversion to 12U rec league ball, but your post just made me think about all the level of detail that are added, each step up the food chain you go in terms of competition.

Similarly when I teach them FT golf, alot of them are amazed that you can actually try and swish a FT vs just making it!
Good for you. That's a level of knowledge most 12U teams don't achieve. I like to think I helped shape our local high school point guard a couple years ago when I had him at the same level. He was a great ball handler and quick, but undersized. I was the first coach who told him to take pride in his passing, not solely his scoring. And, like you said, that meant putting ball where the receiver is ready to make a play, not just getting it to him so he catches it but is off-balance.

Reactions: kkott
Good for you. That's a level of knowledge most 12U teams don't achieve. I like to think I helped shape our local high school point guard a couple years ago when I had him at the same level. He was a great ball handler and quick, but undersized. I was the first coach who told him to take pride in his passing, not solely his scoring. And, like you said, that meant putting ball where the receiver is ready to make a play, not just getting it to him so he catches it but is off-balance.
Yeah, I love coaching this age group because they are good enough athletes to begin doing what you teach, and at 12 are still into the sports and not their phones or social lives. I took about a 10 year hiatus after coaching my son's teams at that age and he's now 23 and assisting me, and that's been special too.

But, it's fun to watch the kids you coached execute new skills and accomplish things they couldn't earlier in the year, not to mention to go on to bigger and better things later, like a high school or college player. I have 2-3 kids who I think could possibly make a high school team if they work at it and continue to develop.

Reactions: bawlmer
I like the fact that this team is actually improving, both as a team and individually. This has not happened very often in the past 25 years. I am hoping that it continues, and IU is the team no team wants to play in March.

Reactions: kkott

Any others?
I am going to say watching Kristian dribble the ball with the game in hand until the game clock expired at zero. Probably the most satisfying play of the game for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT