ADVERTISEMENT

You guys read the daily obits? Always freaked me out when my

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
grandparents would read them at the breakfast table. I hope I never get to that point.

grandparents would read them at the breakfast table. I hope I never get to that point.

Anytime I get my hands on a paper.....I work in the medical field so it's mostly to see who won't be coming back in for testing.

Always peruse the obits when I read the paper. I focus on Morgan County and then just review them alphabetically. Part of life's journey I guess.....

McHoop

I do... always looking to see if there's anyone I know, but I'm 64

Anytime I get my hands on a paper.....I work in the medical field so it's mostly to see who won't be coming back in for testing.
That's kind of funny in a morbidly, macabre kind of way.

That's kind of funny in a morbidly, macabre kind of way.

You have to though so you won't go crazy.....you see end of life patients all the time.....work codes that don't end well.....perform tests that you know will have a chitty diagnosis but have to put on a fake smile and send them out the door knowing the real truth.

Death is an evil beeotch with a 15inch strap on.......

Reactions: IU40IU
You have to though so you won't go crazy.....you see end of life patients all the time.....work codes that don't end well.....perform tests that you know will have a chitty diagnosis but have to put on a fake smile and send them out the door knowing the real truth.

I bet. I completely get it.

Reactions: IUecho87

I scan them daily. I'm 50, so not for close friends, but neighbors, church friends, work associates, etc... Went to an appointment about 20 years ago and the Receptionist looked kind of funny when I asked for the guy I was meeting with. She said, "he died last week!" Also, had an appointment a few weeks ago to meet a contractor to walk a jobsite and one of his co-workers called and said he was going to meet me as a sub for the guy I was original scheduled with. Found out at the appointment the guy had been killed in a wreck. Young Dad with 2 young kids.

I always ask people how do we know its worse? It's possible it's better no?

I always ask people how do we know its worse? It's possible it's better no?

Sure....if you believe in fairy tales.

Consciousness is the result of a functioning brain.....we know this because damage to even small parts of the brain via injury, stroke, dementia can cause someone to lose memories, function, a sense of self.....now imagine total brain death, which happens when one dies.

You don't exist anymore......remember what it was like before you were born? you know, personal memories? remember your thoughts, your beliefs, how you felt?

Yeah....it's just like that......forever.

Sure....if you believe in fairy tales.

Consciousness is the result of a functioning brain.....we know this because damage to even small parts of the brain via injury, stroke, dementia can cause someone to lose memories, function, a sense of self.....now imagine total brain death, which happens when one dies.

You don't exist anymore......remember what it was like before you were born? you know, personal memories? remember your thoughts, your beliefs, how you felt?

Yeah....it's just like that......forever.

You certainly could be correct. Many many people, including Neurosurgeons, challenge consciousness is dependent on a functioning brain. Are they right? Wrong? I don't know.
I do think the concept of consciousness is fascinating.

You certainly could be correct. Many many people, including Neurosurgeons, challenge consciousness is dependent on a functioning brain. Are they right? Wrong? I don't know.
I do think the concept of consciousness is fascinating.

You're most likely referencing Dr. Eben Alexander and his book "Proof of Heaven"....which has proven to be a bunch of bullchit. An important thing to remember, neurosurgeons perform surgeries ON the brain......neuroscientists STUDY the workings/functions OF the brain.

In other words, I'd trust the opinion of a aeronautical engineer over the airport mechanic for the scientific explanation of functions and operations of a 737.

You're most likely referencing Dr. Eben Alexander and his book "Proof of Heaven"....which has proven to be a bunch of bullchit. An important thing to remember, neurosurgeons perform surgeries ON the brain......neuroscientists STUDY the workings/functions OF the brain.

In other words, I'd trust the opinion of a aeronautical engineer over the airport mechanic for the scientific explanation of functions and operations of a 737.

No I wasn't but I've heard of him. I think we humans have a nominal understanding on two significant concepts, time and consciousness. I find discussion about both very interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT