ADVERTISEMENT

You guys aren't going to believe me, but this is 100% truth

I listened to the replay of the 3/15 Dakich show and Dan says IU should hire Alford and tht he never knew what the Pierce situation was about since he was busy coaching. Dan also says Slick Rick Pitino would be a good hire but wants an IU guy.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Was shown the door at Iowa and UCLA for good reason. Alford ain't the answer for Indiana. Never has been.
OK since your a coach expert. The thing is when he was at UCLA he won 20+ games a year. How many times has Indiana won 20 games a year in the last 30 years. Don’t act like you know he would be a terrible coach at IU. I understand not wanting him because of the Iowa incident.

OK since your a coach expert. The thing is when he was at UCLA he won 20+ games a year. How many times has Indiana won 20 games a year in the last 30 years. Don’t act like you know he would be a terrible coach at IU. I understand not wanting him because of the Iowa incident.

He didn't do squat at UCLA that ever single coach who has ever been there has been able to do (most better than him). Its the reason he was canned and ran out of town.

Essentially Tom Crean results minus the conference titles. Not good enough.

Reactions: 76-1

It's not nor shouldn't be overly hard to win 20 games coaching in the PAC 12 at the flagship university with the most NCAA basketball titles in the most populated state in the country.

By my memory:
Alford excelled at Manchester and SE Missou St.
Weak at Iowa and with controversy.
A little medium at Nevada, signed a new contract, and left the next day for UCLA.
Medium at UCLA.
I will be disappointed if it is Steve.

He didn't do squat at UCLA that ever single coach who has ever been there has been able to do (most better than him). Its the reason he was canned and ran out of town.

Essentially Tom Crean results minus the conference titles. Not good enough.
You’re an idiot. He was canned because he didn’t win National Championships. If he had won one NC then most likely he would still be at UCLA.

By my memory:
Alford excelled at Manchester and SE Missou St.
Weak at Iowa and with controversy.
A little medium at Nevada, signed a new contract, and left the next day for UCLA.
Medium at UCLA.
I will be disappointed if it is Steve.
Did you mean New Mexico, where he went 155-52 (.750 winning %.. hardly medium) and 68-26 in conference winning 4 titles 6 years?

And did you mean SW Missouri state?

You’re an idiot. He was canned because he didn’t win National Championships. If he had won one NC then most likely he would still be at UCLA.

LOL what a take. "If he had won one NC", you don't think?

If Tom Crean had won one here he'd probably still be our coach also don't ya think? The problem? Neither of them won national titles.

Steve made a few S16s, big deal. Same thing Crean did (although Crean was able to also win the conference a couple times something that Stevie could not do at UCLA).

S16s grow on trees at UCLA. Cronin just got one. The guy Steve took over from went to 3 Final Fours. Before that Lavin went to 5 Sweet Sixteens in 7 years.

It's not impressive and its why he was fired.

Reactions: T.M.P.
LOL what a take. "If he had won one NC", you don't think?

If Tom Crean had won one here he'd probably still be our coach also don't ya think? The problem? Neither of them won national titles.

Steve made a few S16s, big deal. Same thing Crean did (although Crean was able to also win the conference a couple times something that Stevie could not do at UCLA).

S16s grow on trees at UCLA. Cronin just got one. The guy Steve took over from went to 3 Final Fours. Before that Lavin went to 5 Sweet Sixteens in 7 years.

It's not impressive and its why he was fired.
I’m sorry then why is Calipoopy still at Kentucky. Bennett still at Virginia. How long did it take him to win a NC.
He was canned because he chronically underachieved given UCLA's relative talent (had 6 NBA players on one team) and was a complete ass that nobody liked.
I’m sorry and how has it worked for Kentucky? That’s just dumb. Having the most talent doesn’t equate to NC’s. Didn’t Duke have great talent with Zion and those guys and how did that go. Fans are just dumb thinking if we have the best talent then we’re guaranteed a NC.

I’m sorry then why is Calipoopy still at Kentucky. Bennett still at Virginia. How long did it take him to win a NC.

I’m sorry and how has it worked for Kentucky? That’s just dumb. Having the most talent doesn’t equate to NC’s. Didn’t Duke have great talent with Zion and those guys and how did that go. Fans are just dumb thinking if we have the best talent then we’re guaranteed a NC.

I never said anything about National Championships. Steve Alford chronically underachieved at UCLA given his relative talent level. Nothing more, nothing less.

I never said anything about National Championships. Steve Alford chronically underachieved at UCLA given his relative talent level. Nothing more, nothing less.
And so has Cal at Kentucky. How many top classes has he had compared to NC. Unless fans are just happy they win the SEC conference.

I would love to hear an explanation on this.. if your going with an IU guy there are 3 choices IMO.. Alford, Dane Fife, Micheal Lewis
My IU guy list is Woodson, Smart, Alford. I just see who is winning in CBB and the tournament and what kind of style they are playing. And that also happens to be the style that is attracting the best players. And it is the style that resembles what every NBA team is playing now.
Many IU fans don’t want to hear it, and I understand. But it’s reality.

Reactions: BayernFan
My IU guy list is Woodson, Smart, Alford. I just see who is winning in CBB and the tournament and what kind of style they are playing. And that also happens to be the style that is attracting the best players. And it is the style that resembles what every NBA team is playing now.
Many IU fans don’t want to hear it, and I understand. But it’s reality.

What has Woodson or Smart done at the college level to lead you to put them ahead of Steve Alford that’s won in the B10.

Lots of coaches underachieve based on your criteria. Lou Henson for one

31 wins??!

He won 31 games with 4 future first round picks and another 2nd rounder. And didn’t get past the sweet 16. It was his best year in 30 years of being a head coach. Remove Alford’s name sake and simply look at his resume and it doesn’t even warrant recognition for the Indiana job.

You mean the same Steve Alford who graciously removed his name from consideration a week ago because he discovered he wasn’t going to be considered so he launched a preemptive strike?
That same Steve Alford?

DD wants Alford I would imagine Scott and Steve know each other from the 1987 team what we don't know was Steve a dick to Scott or were they cool I'm guessing from last weeks announcement Steve and Scott were not close.

I’d get behind Woodson without hesitation. Is he a “sure thing?” No; no one is. But given Alford has had opportunities and reached his ceiling at two Power conference teams (Iowa and UCLA) which ended poorly, I can’t see anything different happening at IU. So if it comes down to it, I’m ready to give a chance to Woodson instead.

I think Woodson is a fine coach. I don't see how anyone can look at his resume in the NBA and say he is a bad coach. He was the coach in building a young Hawks team into a very good team. He took over for a failing D'Antoni in NY and went 18-6 in a season when the Knicks went 36-30. Then followed that up with a 2 very good seasons.

IU should still go through the progressions. Stevens, Beard, Bennett, drew, Musselman should all say no before moving to the next tier.

DD wants Alford I would imagine Scott and Steve know each other from the 1987 team what we don't know was Steve a dick to Scott or were they cool I'm guessing from last weeks announcement Steve and Scott were not close.

In the interview with AJ Guyton, Alford's name was the first SD mentioned as being on 'IU's Mt. Rushmore'.

I think Woodson is a fine coach. I don't see how anyone can look at his resume in the NBA and say he is a bad coach. He was the coach in building a young Hawks team into a very good team. He took over for a failing D'Antoni in NY and went 18-6 in a season when the Knicks went 36-30. Then followed that up with a 2 very good seasons.

IU should still go through the progressions. Stevens, Beard, Bennett, drew, Musselman should all say no before moving to the next tier.

Woodson would be my #1 "IU guy"

That said, I'd go with a Porter Moser (age 52) or an Enfield (age 51) before Woodson. He's too old. It would be a different story if he was 57 or 58.

What has Woodson or Smart done at the college level to lead you to put them ahead of Steve Alford that’s won in the B10.

Okay, I'll bite:

a. For the past 20+ years Woodson has coached at the highest level, and earns every day of his time there.
b. Woodson plays a sizable role on the coaching staff which has turned the train-wreck formerly known as the Knicks into a team that currently sits above .500 in the NBA. Some call that working small miracles.
c. Woodson is a straight shooter, engaging and comfortable in his own skin. Never heard anyone describe Mr. Alford with any of those terms.
d. Woodson isn't a pretentious douche bag that projects himself a being owed anything. Alford?
e. People genuinely like and trust Mike Woodson. And for good reason. To this day I have not heard anyone say those things about Coach Steve Alford.
f. Woodson is the kind of person I would want my kid or nephews to play under. Granted, they don't have that kind of athletic talent, but you get the point.

Last edited:
Alford was hated at UCLA. He came across very pompous. Alums flew banners over the city demanding he be fired. He did win quite a few games, but was very inconsistent. His teams played no defense. Seriously, he is Crean, but with an unlikeable personality!

Are you aware he will not be coaching in his 1987 shorts? Get over your crush, he is mediocre at best...

Yeah, how did some clown that goes by filth generate two pages of replies by trolling about Alford?

The hysteria of the fan base is astounding. they don't even look at who posted it. Some guy on GBI just bet someone he could post with the name of filth and generate hundreds of hysterical responses.

And one clown keeps telling us massive apathy took over two years ago.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll bite:

a. For the past 20+ years Woodson has coached at the highest level, and earns every day of his time there.
b. Woodson plays a sizable role on the coaching staff which has turned the train-wreck formerly known as the Knicks into a team that currently sits above .500 in the NBA. Some call that working small miracles.
c. Woodson is a straight shooter, engaging and comfortable in his own skin. Never heard anyone describe Mr. Alford with any of those terms.
d. Woodson isn't a pretentious douche bag that projects himself a being owed anything. Alford?
e. People genuinely like and trust Mike Woodson. And for good reason. To this day I have not heard anyone say those things about Coach Steve Alford.
f. Woodson is the kind of person I would want my kid or nephews to play under. Granted, they don't have that kind of athletic talent, but you get the point.

I can get behind B.
Other than that I appreciate your opinions

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT