ADVERTISEMENT

You gotta be kidding me.

So what are we going to do? There's gigantic rumors that the Yankee's want Schwarber.

Do you make that trade? I don't only because I believe closers are overrated. Plus if Kyle is eventually going to be a big league catcher...holy Moses. That potential lineup with Contreras and Schwarber splitting?

I'd trade Soler...but only for Miller, not Chatman. Maybe.

It's nice to see Javy getting at bats and looking more comfortable. He's a five tool player if he can make consistent contact with that crazy loopy but powerful swing.

So what are we going to do? There's gigantic rumors that the Yankee's want Schwarber.

Do you make that trade? I don't only because I believe closers are overrated. Plus if Kyle is eventually going to be a big league catcher...holy Moses. That potential lineup with Contreras and Schwarber splitting?

It's nice to see Javy getting at bats and looking more comfortable. He's a five tool player if he can make consistent contact with that crazy loopy but powerful swing.
I don't want to trade Schwarber for Chapman, but not because closers are overrated. Jesus. Closers are not overrated. Maybe during the regular season, when you have time to make up for a bad outing from the bullpen. But in the playoffs you NEED a closer.

But the Cubs have one. And even though Chapman would be an upgrade, three months of him isn't worth giving up Schwarber.

If it were Schwarber for Miller...then my only objection is honestly that I like Schwarber and want him to stay a Cub forever. Nothing rational, just fanboy stuff.

Contreras and Schwarber splitting time behind the plate is a waste of Kyle's bat. He could spot start, sure, but he needs to be in the outfield on a regular basis to take advantage of that hitting. I know he wants to be a catcher, but he's just too damn good with a bat to be full-time behind the plate.

Never make that trade. Especially for Chapman. You don't trade a 30 HR/100 RBI guy for next decade in Schwarber for Chapman who you'll only have under contract for a couple months.

I could see Soler though. Someone we developed is going to end up losing out. Thing is with all of our prospects making instant impact it basically bolsters the trade value or perceived trade value of our farm system.

I'd trade Schwarber for Chapman in a New York minute. Having had him as the Reds closer for the past few years, he's lights out. I wouldn't do the trade for Miller. He's no where near as a electric as Chapman and Aroldis did things against National League teams. If the Cubs to acquire Chapman and Teheran from the Braves, they hang the title banner this season.

As offensive as Schwarber is, he's jus that. Defensively he's a train wreck and with this type of injury, he's likely not going to be a catcher much longer and strictly a defensive liability in left. If you are trying to win this season, you do what you need to do to get these two members on your team. Schwarber and Baez and a lower prospect gets Chapman easily.

I'd trade Schwarber for Chapman in a New York minute. Having had him as the Reds closer for the past few years, he's lights out. I wouldn't do the trade for Miller. He's no where near as a electric as Chapman and Aroldis did things against National League teams. If the Cubs to acquire Chapman and Teheran from the Braves, they hang the title banner this season.

As offensive as Schwarber is, he's jus that. Defensively he's a train wreck and with this type of injury, he's likely not going to be a catcher much longer and strictly a defensive liability in left. If you are trying to win this season, you do what you need to do to get these two members on your team. Schwarber and Baez and a lower prospect gets Chapman easily.

I don't trade ANY of the young guys for a rental player like Chapman. If a Schwarber/Miller trade could be worked out, I'd welcome that...begrudgingly.

The Cubs are going to be WS contenders for the next 3-4 years. If you trade a guy like Schwarber away, you need to get a guy back you know you'll have for more than just this season. Miller you'd have for at least 2, and that flips the scales for me.

I'd also be o.k. just standing pat. Can't wait to see Kyle start mashing again, and if its in a Cubs uniform, I'll be excited as hell about it!

Schwarber AND Baez AND a prospect, for a rental? A little early in the morning to be this baked, isn't it? I don't care if the rental is Jesus Christ. This Cubs team is not facing their Last Chance for Glory right now. They should make smart moves if necessary, and they have talent to spare to fill holes, but they don't need to give away the store and weaken their chances in the near future.

Last edited:

That's my rub with Kyle also... I just don't know where to hide that glove other than behind the plate. We're already struggling trying to hide Bryant.

When I look at the team I see the short term players being Zobriest and Montero/Ross....maybe Fowler.

Even if Javy is pegged for 2b and Bryant stays at 3b...where does Kyle, Soler, Almora (who's already considered one of the best defensive outfielders right now and to me is our center fielder of the future) and Heyward fit in?

That's why to me you try to keep Kyle behind the plate...or push for the national league to adopt the dh (lol). If Kyle can catch...holy jesus our offensive and defensive lineup would be awesome and balanced.

I know Theo loves Schwarber. I hope he keeps him for the same reason as Goat said... I love him as a fanboy.

I don't want to trade Schwarber for Chapman, but not because closers are overrated. Jesus. Closers are not overrated. Maybe during the regular season, when you have time to make up for a bad outing from the bullpen. But in the playoffs you NEED a closer.

But the Cubs have one. And even though Chapman would be an upgrade, three months of him isn't worth giving up Schwarber.

If it were Schwarber for Miller...then my only objection is honestly that I like Schwarber and want him to stay a Cub forever. Nothing rational, just fanboy stuff.

Contreras and Schwarber splitting time behind the plate is a waste of Kyle's bat. He could spot start, sure, but he needs to be in the outfield on a regular basis to take advantage of that hitting. I know he wants to be a catcher, but he's just too damn good with a bat to be full-time behind the plate.

I've always argued that closers are overrated for what the command in trades and salary. Billie Beane also agrees...but I get your playoff angle.

In return how many elite closers lately have made the difference in a world series winner? Who is the Giant's closer...they've had multiple.

The best closers in baseball don't have many rings off the top of my head.

More importantly a closer can be created (which is what Beane would do...annoint a 'closer' and let him rack of saves and then trade him for prospects while anointing another closer. Theo is a Beane disciple and I hope understands that.

To this day I'm still pissed at being duped by Texas and trading Palmiero and Moyer for Mitch Williams.

I've always argued that closers are overrated for what the command in trades and salary. Billie Beane also agrees...but I get your playoff angle.

In return how many elite closers lately have made the difference in a world series winner? Who is the Giant's closer...they've had multiple.

The best closers in baseball don't have many rings off the top of my head.

More importantly a closer can be created (which is what Beane would do...annoint a 'closer' and let him rack of saves and then trade him for prospects while anointing another closer. Theo is a Beane disciple and I hope understands that.

To this day I'm still pissed at being duped by Texas and trading Palmiero and Moyer for Mitch Williams.

To be honest, in comparison to what tey cost, I might agree with you. I'd only accept losing a prospect like Schwarber if it were a top-notch NON-rental reliever, so you get some value back.

NB: CBA negotiations coming soon. A lot of people think this is the one that finally makes DH universal.

Theo isn't going to deal Schwarber for a reliever. Period. They have the best manager (or right there with Bochy at least) for a reason. You let him figure out where and how to play these guys, and shy of a front line starter none of Schwarber, Almora, KB, Russell, Baez, Contreras,Gleybor Torres or Candelario are going anywhere.

So where are all of these guys going to play and how much? I don't know, but I'm nowhere near as smart as Maddon and Theo, so I'm very comfortable trusting them to make the tough decisions. Almora is obviously your starting CF next year. Contreras your starting catcher. RF, 1B and SS are all spoken for. Zobrist is the almost full time 2b for this year and next. After that he'll be 37 so who knows, but Baez will get a fair amount of time there and at 3b. Bryant is an above average 3b, LF, and RF. Schwarber is a below average catcher and outfielder, but his bat could be the best of all of them.

So what do you do with the studs who are still in the minors? I don't know but it's going to be fun watching it play out, and with injuries now to Schwarber, Soler, and Fowler that depth is going to pay off big time. And once again I'll just say I f0cking love this team. 12.5 up on the Cardinals on 6/20 with them coming into your park? Are you kidding?

Reactions: hoosierdug
I'm actually amazed at anyone would be even "ok" with trading Schwarber. He'll be fine in left field for years to come. He doesn't suck at the position. Had one game with 2 errors and everyone jumped on the wagon. Think Manny Ramirez. After years of playing the position (not coincidental under Theo too) he became a serviceable left fielder to go with his 35-40 and 120 rbi each year.

With CF like Fowler/Almora and RF like Heyward our guys can cover far more ground than most outfield defenses which should help Schwarber as well.

Trading Schwarber would be idiotic.

I'm actually amazed at anyone would be even "ok" with trading Schwarber. He'll be fine in left field for years to come. He doesn't suck at the position. Had one game with 2 errors and everyone jumped on the wagon. Think Manny Ramirez. After years of playing the position (not coincidental under Theo too) he became a serviceable left fielder to go with his 35-40 and 120 rbi each year.

With CF like Fowler/Almora and RF like Heyward our guys can cover far more ground than most outfield defenses which should help Schwarber as well.

Trading Schwarber would be idiotic.
Theo didn't draft him that high to trade him, especially after an otherworldly rookie playoff performance.

446.jpg

Schwarber AND Baez AND a prospect, for a rental? A little early in the morning to be this baked, isn't it? I don't care if the rental is Jesus Christ. This Cubs team is not facing their Last Chance for Glory right now. They should make smart moves if necessary, and they have talent to spare to fill holes, but they don't need to give away the store and weaken their chances in the near future.
I read his first paragraph as an alternative take then decided to see who was posting it ... and moved on.

Cardinals would be right in the thick of the race if they could play better at home. Best road record in baseball after sweeping the Cubs at Wrigley.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT