ADVERTISEMENT

Yet another example why the NCAA just doesn't get it

yb

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
Read tonight where Mark Emmert, President of the NCAA, praised Duke's Coach K for apologizing to Oregon's player and head coach for his remarks during the handshake line. You see, I could care about what he said there. That was between him and the athlete and in all honesty, wasn't that big of a deal to me. My problem is
at the press conference where, when asked to comment about the Oregon player stating what K said, he flat out denied it. It wasn't until someone came up with audio and boxed him into a corner that he fessed up.

As a head coach of an NCAA institution, he's a representative of the NCAA. I know Coach Knight got ripped to shreds over the years for his statements, yet K apparently gets a pass. Dude flat out lied to the press.

I'm wondering what Coach K would do to a player of his who came to his office and lied about something to his face. Think he might not play for Duke the next season (unless he's Grayson Allen that is).

Why kidding? Sounds like a legitimate question to me. The game that both K and his star player got T'd up for dropping F-bombs on the refs, Jay Bilas defended K by explaining that K was a product of RMK. Now how is that for you? When K is winning championships its all about K... but when he's getting T'd up for cursing at the Refs its all about RMK.

Good question.

I have no problem with what Coach K said to the player after the game. The big problem I have is that when asked about his comments by a reporter he denied it. It wasn't until a sound clip came out that he did an about face & apologized

I think coach K has caught plenty of flack for this situation. The kid was wrong in doing what he did and coach K was even more wrong to bring that up with the kid himself instead of the coach. Emotions were obviously high but when cooler heads prevailed, coach manned up and apologized. From there, he has still been getting blasted so I think for as minimal a gesture as it was, he has received a stiff enough penalty.

Not really surprising considering that one has had a good relationship with the press and the other one was pretty hostile to 95% of the press.

My question is what did the Oregon kid do that was so wrong? You want to talk about the trash talking--well that was going both ways, so say something to your kids before the opponent for doing the same thing.

You want to complain about the shot, get real, there was about a 6 second differential between the shot and game clock, shoot the ball and keep the clock running, honestly I would be more upset if they would have taken the violation! Of course he did take 3-4 steps into the shot so it probably should have been waived off with a travel call.

You want to say something about the celebration after the buzzer--again get real. To me Coach K went after a kid for doing far less than what Duke kids have done for year and he was pissed that they lost. No one who coaches Grayson Allen, who may be one of the dirtiest players in the game, and never sits him should be the last person to give a talk to another player on sportsmanship. To me K was a worse sport about this than the kid, and by a long shot

I think coach K has caught plenty of flack for this situation. The kid was wrong in doing what he did and coach K was even more wrong to bring that up with the kid himself instead of the coach. Emotions were obviously high but when cooler heads prevailed, coach manned up and apologized. From there, he has still been getting blasted so I think for as minimal a gesture as it was, he has received a stiff enough penalty.

Totally disagree the kid was wrong.... You don't think a Duke player has done something similar over the years? Really? Duke has never, ever had a problem stepping on the throats of their opponents. I don't have a problem with something sticking it to them. Just looked at the Duke-IU game, a 20 point win for the Dookies. Allen played 38 minutes. Was that sportsmanlike of K? Doesn't matter for squat to me. It's a 40 minute game, national television and who knows, perhaps a recruit might be on the line.

Totally agree with yb here, there is nothing Brooks did in that game that Duke has not been doing for years. It struck me as the neighborhood bully that finally got punched back and went home and cried. So it is OK and sportsmanlike when we do it, but not when someone does it to us.

If K thinks what Brooks did was unsportsmanlike, then he has probably never coached a player that he really felt had a lot of sportsmanship

Christian Lattener and Grayson Allen, need we say more?

I doubt I would be the first one to say that Grayson Allen is trying too hard to be Laettner's Mini-Me. Geez, dude, just be your own self.

Last edited:
My question is what did the Oregon kid do that was so wrong? You want to talk about the trash talking--well that was going both ways, so say something to your kids before the opponent for doing the same thing.

You want to complain about the shot, get real, there was about a 6 second differential between the shot and game clock, shoot the ball and keep the clock running, honestly I would be more upset if they would have taken the violation! Of course he did take 3-4 steps into the shot so it probably should have been waived off with a travel call.

You want to say something about the celebration after the buzzer--again get real. To me Coach K went after a kid for doing far less than what Duke kids have done for year and he was pissed that they lost. No one who coaches Grayson Allen, who may be one of the dirtiest players in the game, and never sits him should be the last person to give a talk to another player on sportsmanship. To me K was a worse sport about this than the kid, and by a long shot

Completely agree!

Not really surprising considering that one has had a good relationship with the press and the other one was pretty hostile to 95% of the press.

This is 100% on point. Get on the right side of media and all is good.

Exhibit A is Bobby Bowden. Guy broke more rules, had dozens of off field issues....but press never ripped into him because he was so good to them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT