ADVERTISEMENT

Yard work FTW.

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
I have had one hell of a spring so far. I'm cutting down a jungle that overgrew the right-of-way the utilities have on our property. It's turning into quite a bit of free firewood.

Plus I'm in a rush to get at least some of the garden soil turned over. I'd like to do an early planting this week of some corn and beans, and maybe some carrots.

Anyway, I am beat. But, I noticed my pants are falling down, so I stepped on the scale, and probably shed 5 pounds or so. Maybe more. I was getting real damn close to 200 over the winter, and I'm back in the 180s now. Still a chubby mofo, but it's nice to know that if I continue working outside like this, I won't have to buy a new belt.

Oh, and of course, my rider is still broken, so I pushed mowed the full half acre. Cue up McNutt to tell me that's no big deal, he regularly does 2 acres with a scythe.

I know several of you have also started gardening recently. What stage are you at right now this season?

Just moved into my house 10 days ago. Heavily wooded lot that doesn't appear to have been raked in a couple years.

I have moved a chit ton of leaves the past two weekends and burned a bunch of dead old brush. Underneath it all is mostly bare dirt or moss, so I need to plant some shade grass. We're looking for some areas with full exposure to plant some edibles.

I'm sure I've shed a few pounds as well, but it has been incredibly therapeutic to be working outside so much after 12 of the last 14 years in NYC.

Reactions: MaxCoke
Last weekend was mostly clean up and readying the raised beds. Plus mowing, and spring cleaning of the yard. Late start this year. We planted a few things. Onions, potatoes. Bought some raspberry bushes. Blueberries. Creeping Thyme. They're still in their nursery pots. We started a ginger plant from a ginger root. It's about a foot tall. lol. I also cut a few clones of curly willow, which rooted perfectly. Thinking about doing a small hedge. Not big enough to hide a tiger tank or anything but maybe an arch or something like that.

I like gardening, in fact I love it. I only wish I could cultivate my plant of choice. Maybe someday. Yard work, not so much. Well, I like taking care of bushes and flowers and such . I despise the maintaining of grass and lawns. (stupid French) Someday I'm gonna have one of these.

rock-garden-designs-design-inspirations-with-japanese-rock-gardens-designed-with-different-types-of-rock.jpg

Reactions: booyah31183
180 pounds a still a chubby mofo? Only if you are 5' 7" or so
I'm 5'9" in shoes. And I said 180s. I wish I could drop that s.

When I was in college and in shape, I weighed 180, but it was all muscle. After I stopped exercising, my weight dropped, and then started creeping back up.

I have had one hell of a spring so far. I'm cutting down a jungle that overgrew the right-of-way the utilities have on our property. It's turning into quite a bit of free firewood.

Plus I'm in a rush to get at least some of the garden soil turned over. I'd like to do an early planting this week of some c

Anyway, I am beat. But, I noticed my pants are falling down, so I stepped on the scale, and probably shed 5 pounds or so. Maybe more. I was getting real damn close to 200 over the winter, and I'm back in the 180s now. Still a chubby mofo, but it's nice to know that if I continue working outside like this, I won't have to buy a new belt.

Oh, and of course, my rider is still broken, so I pushed mowed the full half acre. Cue up McNutt to tell me that'

There's someone who lives down the street who refuses to cut their lawn. The grass is at least a foot tall.

Its not like they're too busy to cut it as there's always a car in the driveway and their dog is usually laying outside.

Ugh. Lazy people are the devil.

I've been shot down and told that no mulch or planting of anything happens until after Mothers day. All I've done so far is make sure my soil is on point and expand my square footage of available planting space.

I've been shot down and told that no mulch or planting of anything happens until after Mothers day. All I've done so far is make sure my soil is on point and expand my square footage of available planting space.
I haven't actually planted anything yet. I did fertilize the fruit trees, as they all went through bud break this week.
I am definitely starting tomatoes and peppers indoors tomorrow. Planting an early crop outside is still up the air, but certain things - like peas and carrots - you can plant early and get two crops out of in a single season.

You aren't a chubby mofo until you've eaten an entire box of these.

Screen-Shot-2013-01-14-at-11.56.04-AM-e1358260779174.png

B

Last weekend was mostly clean up and readying the raised beds. Plus mowing, and spring cleaning of the yard. Late start this year. We planted a few things. Onions, potatoes. Bought some raspberry bushes. Blueberries. Creeping Thyme. They're still in their nursery pots. We started a ginger plant from a ginger root. It's about a foot tall. lol. I also cut a few clones of curly willow, which rooted perfectly. Thinking about doing a small hedge. Not big enough to hide a tiger tank or anything but maybe an arch or something like that.

I like gardening, in fact I love it. I only wish I could cultivate my plant of choice. Maybe someday. Yard work, not so much. Well, I like taking care of bushes and flowers and such . I despise the maintaining of grass and lawns. (stupid French) Someday I'm gonna have one of these.

rock-garden-designs-design-inspirations-with-japanese-rock-gardens-designed-with-different-types-of-rock.jpg

We've really enjoyed our raspberry canes(Red-Heritage variety). One suggestion ...... unless you have the space or just want them to run rampant, you might want to think about driving some sort of underground barrier around their perimeter. Five years in, mine are crowding one of my dwarf Japanese Maples. Speaking of maples, I'm really pissed that I lost a nice hard maple on the south side of the house. It was about five years old and had gotten 12 feet tall. Last fall, suddenly and without any warning, the leaves shriveled and turn brown instead of the anticipated bright yellow foliage.

Otherwise, I've pruned my remaining maples and they're looking pretty good right now. I've made a new raised box for tomatoes, spread mulch, weeded and pulled a shit load grass out of the beds(why won't it grow that well where it's supposed to?). This year, I'm planting only one variety of tomato, some heirloom type beef-heart . I got good yields off it last year and its almost seedless.

Here's a few of the varieties of Japanese Maple I've got in the yard....

spring07_Mikawaweb.jpg

img_9884.jpg

Kamagata_large.jpg

McHoop

Does anybody wonder why helicopters fly over their backyard to take aerial pics of plant life?

growing_marijuana_outdoors.jpg

I'm 5'9" in shoes. And I said 180s. I wish I could drop that s.

When I was in college and in shape, I weighed 180, but it was all muscle. After I stopped exercising, my weight dropped, and then started creeping back up.
Dude.. when were you ripped in college? Just curious...

We've had a container garden going since Good Friday (The Cramerettes insisted they wanted to play some stuff). Carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, watermelon, cucumbers, romaine lettuce, shallots, and onions. Have a few tomatoes already on the vines, have a few bell pepper blooms on the plants, and the cucumbers, watermelon, shallots, onions, and carrots seem to be doing great. Not so much on the romaine. Overall though I am pretty happy with the results.

We've had a container garden going since Good Friday (The Cramerettes insisted they wanted to play some stuff). Carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, watermelon, cucumbers, romaine lettuce, shallots, and onions. Have a few tomatoes already on the vines, have a few bell pepper blooms on the plants, and the cucumbers, watermelon, shallots, onions, and carrots seem to be doing great. Not so much on the romaine. Overall though I am pretty happy with the results.
Move your lettuce to an area that gets a shorter amount of sunlight, and you'll see it grow better. Lettuce likes shade.

When I was living at Matlock, the barnyard animals would walk to the SRSC three or four times a week. Racquetball, then running, then weights, then hoops. As soon as we stopped doing that, I got flabby pretty quickly.

Thanks for the invite back in the day jerkstore... Just gotten myself back into racquetball a bit. Took a class fall semester freshmen year, played all through my time at IU and then drifted from it. Started back up running again a couple months back. I'm in that 180s range with you, trying to get myself down to 170 or so. Every year I go into the doctor for a checkup and every year she harps on me to get down to 160-165, but that just seems ridiculous to me.

Thanks for the invite back in the day jerkstore... Just gotten myself back into racquetball a bit. Took a class fall semester freshmen year, played all through my time at IU and then drifted from it. Started back up running again a couple months back. I'm in that 180s range with you, trying to get myself down to 170 or so. Every year I go into the doctor for a checkup and every year she harps on me to get down to 160-165, but that just seems ridiculous to me.
Hey man, it was a barnyard thing.

We used to work out sometimes. Remember drunk basketball? LOL.

Yeah, I can't possibly imagine only weighing 165 again. But I'm also sick and tired of buying pants that are 6 inches longer around the waist than along the inseam.

Hey man, it was a barnyard thing.

We used to work out sometimes. Remember drunk basketball? LOL.

Yeah, I can't possibly imagine only weighing 165 again. But I'm also sick and tired of buying pants that are 6 inches longer around the waist than along the inseam.

Oh I remember drunk basketball. I'm pretty sure Indiana is probably the only state where you'd have cops called out in the wee hours of the morning to break up a group of college kids playing basketball.

Oh I remember drunk basketball. I'm pretty sure Indiana is probably the only state where you'd have cops called out in the wee hours of the morning to break up a group of college kids playing basketball.
Non sequitur.
At least once a week, we'd follow our workout by heading over to Mario's for Burrito Gigantes. This one time, we do our workout, get our burritos, and head back to the Shack. First thing Bunny does when we get back is take his pants off and start walking around in his boxers, because that's the kind of guy he is. Anyway, Bunny and Horse start having a farting contest, because, you know, Burrito Gigante. Well, Horse lets off a big one, and Bunny doesn't want to lose, so he leans back in the recliner, lifts his legs above his head and just belts one. Next thing I remember is Bunny running up the stairs, screaming, "I s*** my pants! I s*** my pants!" over and over again. Horse about has a heart attack.

We run the cushion cover through the laundry and flip the cushion over. Now that we are down to one out of two serviceable sides of the cushion, farting is no longer allowed in that chair.

Good times.

Plus I'm in a rush to get at least some of the garden soil turned over. I'd like to do an early planting this week of some corn and beans, and maybe some carrots.

Oh, and of course, my rider is still broken, so I pushed mowed the full half acre. Cue up McNutt to tell me that's no big deal, he regularly does 2 acres with a scythe.

I know several of you have also started gardening recently. What stage are you at right now this season?
I have an easement at the back of my property that would grow heavy brush, including poison ivy if I would let it. I spray it with an Ortho Brush Killer that will kill poison ivy, most vine plants, woody plants and small trees. They are coming on now so, I will be spraying this week.

All my landscaping has been freshened up and the pool will be opened this weekend. I will have to trim the shrubs before Memorial day.

Non sequitur.
At least once a week, we'd follow our workout by heading over to Mario's for Burrito Gigantes. This one time, we do our workout, get our burritos, and head back to the Shack. First thing Bunny does when we get back is take his pants off and start walking around in his boxers, because that's the kind of guy he is. Anyway, Bunny and Horse start having a farting contest, because, you know, Burrito Gigante. Well, Horse lets off a big one, and Bunny doesn't want to lose, so he leans back in the recliner, lifts his legs above his head and just belts one. Next thing I remember is Bunny running up the stairs, screaming, "I s*** my pants! I s*** my pants!" over and over again. Horse about has a heart attack.

Wow. You went from McNutt to RCab (with a dollop of C-$) all in the same thread.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT