ADVERTISEMENT

Wyoming

turney333

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2006
The post player Ike has good size and is a good finisher out of the post, but he also dribbles the ball a ton. Not uncommon for him to dribble the ball 8+ times while trying to back his man down and can be a little loose with the ball which leaves him susceptible to digs and double teams and isn't a great at finding the open shooter in those situations. I think any of TJD, Race, or Durr could provide decent defense against him. On defense he's usually in good position but a step slow, and doesn't play assertive/aggressive, seemingly out of fear of foul trouble. If we go small with Race at the 5, he's going to give 5+ ft from 3 range.

The PG Maldonado has good size at 6'7", and but doesn't have a ton of speed, doesn't really drive to the rim, and isn't a particularly good shooter from outside. He generates most of his offense by posting up smaller guards, and is a fairly crafty finisher in the 5-10 ft range. If he does drive, its to set up post position. On defense, I think he'll struggle against a faster guard like X.

The only 3-point shooter that is really a threat is Jeffries, and that is about all he does (about 95% of his shot attempts were from 3 this year). He'll be easier to guard than Stefanovic. The main threat is that Wyoming will goad Jeffries' defender to help/double posts by Ike and Maldonado.

Their offense is really built around those 3 players, and the don't run much to get anyone else shots. They play solid team defense, but will also leave shooters open as they will collapse on the ball in the paint. This is a game I think IU runs away with if we shoot even just 35% from 3, and the shots will be there. Even then, I think IU will be able to generate enough offense to win even with a poor 3 shooting performance

Evan Fitzner.

Ben Allen from Australia who played during the Mike Davis era transferred to St. Mary's and had a nice senior season for them. Big man shot nearly 40% from 3.
You know, I still think Fitzner not working out was one of the first nails in Archie's coffin. If that guy would have been able to shoot like advertised (see the Marquette game), I'm not so sure that team doesn't finish top 5 in BIG play and makes the tourney easily. Just didn't work out.

The post player Ike has good size and is a good finisher out of the post, but he also dribbles the ball a ton. Not uncommon for him to dribble the ball 8+ times while trying to back his man down and can be a little loose with the ball which leaves him susceptible to digs and double teams and isn't a great at finding the open shooter in those situations. I think any of TJD, Race, or Durr could provide decent defense against him. On defense he's usually in good position but a step slow, and doesn't play assertive/aggressive, seemingly out of fear of foul trouble. If we go small with Race at the 5, he's going to give 5+ ft from 3 range.

The PG Maldonado has good size at 6'7", and but doesn't have a ton of speed, doesn't really drive to the rim, and isn't a particularly good shooter from outside. He generates most of his offense by posting up smaller guards, and is a fairly crafty finisher in the 5-10 ft range. If he does drive, its to set up post position. On defense, I think he'll struggle against a faster guard like X.

The only 3-point shooter that is really a threat is Jeffries, and that is about all he does (about 95% of his shot attempts were from 3 this year). He'll be easier to guard than Stefanovic. The main threat is that Wyoming will goad Jeffries' defender to help/double posts by Ike and Maldonado.

Their offense is really built around those 3 players, and the don't run much to get anyone else shots. They play solid team defense, but will also leave shooters open as they will collapse on the ball in the paint. This is a game I think IU runs away with if we shoot even just 35% from 3, and the shots will be there. Even then, I think IU will be able to generate enough offense to win even with a poor 3 shooting performance
So, what you’re saying is some guy on Wyoming’s team, who’s never hit a 3 in his entire career, will hit no less than seven 3s against us.

Reactions: MTBRider22
Interesting , I see Jerry Buss went to Wyoming on scholarship . Not for basketball, nothing to do with the upcoming game just found Interesting

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT