ADVERTISEMENT

Wyoming/Illinois

Wilt just mentioned in his press conference that Brown put 150 on him at Minn last year. Not too sure you are going to stop him. But just contain him and minimize any damage.
Just need to stuff him a few times each half on early downs, and make sure he gets slowed at the LOS most/all the time. If he's gouging us for 6+ yards on 1st downs, we're in deep crap. And obviously, if he's getting to our 2nd level consistently, that's not gonna be good either.

If he has 30 carries for 150 yards, but he has to fight for every extra yard...with a lot of those yards coming after contact near the LOS...we'll be in good shape. Even if their QB is good, throwing into our secondary on obvious passing downs will be difficult for any team on our schedule, not named Ohio State.

Just need to stuff him a few times each half on early downs, and make sure he gets slowed at the LOS most/all the time. If he's gouging us for 6+ yards on 1st downs, we're in deep crap. And obviously, if he's getting to our 2nd level consistently, that's not gonna be good either.

If he has 30 carries for 150 yards, but he has to fight for every extra yard...with a lot of those yards coming after contact near the LOS...we'll be in good shape. Even if their QB is good, throwing into our secondary on obvious passing downs will be difficult for any team on our schedule, not named Ohio State.
If he gets 150 on 30 carries, we’re probably in trouble. That will mean they control the line of scrimmage as well as the time of possession, and that’s not good.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If he gets 150 on 30 carries, we’re probably in trouble. That will mean they control the line of scrimmage as well as the time of possession, and that’s not good.
Would depend on how it happens...you could be right. And I might not have used the right numbers. But essentially, if he's gaining 3-4-5 yards all night, but is initially being hit at the LOS, and having to grind out all those yards...I think, in the end, that'll be a good sign for our defense and our team.

If that effort means they have a little more time of possession, and its a slower game, that probably means Illinois would have roughly 12 ish offensive possessions. That's 2 1/2 carries per possession for Brown. If those carries are largely as I pointed out, we'll be fine. It would imply our front 7 is creating activity and traffic initially...and would further imply that they'd have had to do most of their damage against us either with others running the ball, or through the air.

What we absolutely can't have is Brown gouging us for 7-8+ yards, leaving them a ton of 2nd and short opportunities. THAT'S where we get into the most trouble.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'll jump in here and say that I believe 2021 was the anomaly. We had significant injuries in week 1 last year which destroyed any cohesion and confidence. Not sure if I'm missing any, but key guys missing for Iowa in 2021 were Haggard, Head, and Monster. It got far worse from there.

Penix was awful in 2021...3 ints, 2 for TDs killed the season early in that Iowa game. Then consider an inexperienced OC who seemed to have no strategic plan.

Who knew how good Cincinnati would be, but I was at that game and still feel like we should have won that game. The defense was violent and controlled the game until McFadden was ejected.

I expect the 2022 version to be much better in all facets of the game. This defense is deep, experienced and has a chip on its shoulder...they'll play like it Friday.

The running game schematics will be better and the QBs won't hijack the game plan with TOs. The Illini are formidable and will make it tough on IU as well.

IU defense and kicker in a grinder...
IU 16
UI 10

I am hoping IU can do to Brown what they did to Walker last year. Keep him under 80 yds and have a very good chance to win the game.
This is pretty spot in. IU would have beaten MSU (even easily) had IU had a good offense. If Bell has them playing wel I believe the IU D will have a similar game against this Illinois offense, so needs offense to deliver.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT