ADVERTISEMENT

Wow gotta love that IU DEFENSE

MightyHoosier

Benchwarmer
Jan 26, 2006
I love the offense of IU until they run into a team that plays defense or their shooting accuracy declines. That's when just trying to out score your opponent doesn't work. Why not take pride and play some defense especially on the perimeter like Yogi does. I'm sorry not having a true big man is no excuse for the defensiveness ineptness of the other players. It's like playing tennis without a backhand!!

Crean's teams have never been strong defensively, but to be the worst. . .

No one allows more ppg than IU in conference. They don't stop the ball or fight through screens. They take terrible angles around screens or sometimes don't even approach the shooter. They don't communicate on switches or which defense they are playing.

If IU could at least be mediocre on defense, with the points IU scores...

However, Crean's teams have never been very good defensively, so I don't expect that phase of the game to improve with an regularly while he's the coach.

I have seen some defense out of this team

I didn't see much of it on the road at OSU, though. I am not saying it is good defense, but in the Maryland game I saw defense, at times. And on the road at Illinois.

And Yogi has done a better job on defending scorers this year.

I think that their defense is better, generally, this year.

Since IU games have so many possessions, isn't that one input to high scores by opponents. Maybe one should look at points per possession.

This post was edited on 1/26 9:05 AM by IU? I'm Fine

Also, IU has a massive imbalance between offensive & defensive efficiency

Their gap of 201 (208 on defense minus 7 on offense) between offensive and defensive rankings is among the highest among all ~350 teams. There are only 34 teams with a greater absolute difference between offensive and defensive rankings. IU ranks #317 among all teams.

Now, this kind of gap is only possible if you're at least decent in either offense or defense. IU has been great offensively. But, among the top 50 teams, the average gap is only 58. IU ranks 49th among those teams (ahead of only Davidson).

If this team is talented, quick and athletic enough to perform like a top 10 offense, then it seems they should have the talent to be at least a top 100 defense. Among the top 50 teams, the average defensive ranking is 55.

I think this comes down mainly to effort and coaching.

This post was edited on 1/26 7:48 AM by booyah31183

Very good point. IU needs a defense, now.

Too bad defense isn't at least average for the B1G.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT