ADVERTISEMENT

Would 20-14 get us dancing?

I'm not so sure Woodson is on the hot seat. My car seat has heated seats with 2 temp functions....low and high. The low is comfortable, like Woody is....the high is a bit much...I can't use it. He isn't there either.
Depends on who you believe some claim he will be gone. This cannot continue.

Are you saying you are satisfied with Woodson success, but not satisfied with his style of success?
Not satisfied with either...and I've been pretty consistent with that since he arrived. While TJD was putting up historic numbers, and Woody WAS inching the ship back in the right direction...I was very consistently, and I'm sure annoyingly so, lamenting on our offensive style of play...and our inconsistencies defensively.

Reactions: steelyvan
Not satisfied with either...and I've been pretty consistent with that since he arrived. While TJD was putting up historic numbers, and Woody WAS inching the ship back in the right direction...I was very consistently, and I'm sure annoyingly so, lamenting on our offensive style of play...and our inconsistencies defensively.
Do you see that you have disconnected Woodson’s offense with TJD’s performance? It’s a logical error. Woodson designed his offense through personnel and plays around TJD’s potential. That is how we won enough games to turn the ship around. That’s why more talented players have come in behind those results.

Do you mean wait out one of the most talented teams in IU history to become 19 and 20 years old or the horrendous coaching that has gotten us to the tournament and gotten our players drafted?

Not who you responded to but maybe he isn't satisfied with the great coaching that in less than three years, Woodson has almost most as many 15+ point losses as the previous two coaches did in their last three years COMBINED.

Or the great coaching that has us in the bottom half of the BT with more combined stars that any other team in the BT.

Or the great coaching that has gotten IU THUMPED by every good team they have played except UK.

Or the great roster construction that left a scholarship on the table even with limited shooters and a desperate need for guards.

Reactions: BigMobe and IUINSB
Do you see that you have disconnected Woodson’s offense with TJD’s performance? It’s a logical error. Woodson designed his offense through personnel and plays around TJD’s potential. That is how we won enough games to turn the ship around. That’s why more talented players have come in behind those results.

More talent has come in with pathetic results. Damn, if IU would have at LEAST been competitive I could see your argument but they have NOT been. No good wins, barely beating teams they should have dominated. Nothing they do well, Offense that is offensive, defense that is sporadic at best, turnovers are consistently a problem, can't shoot 3s, can't shoot FTs.

And as much as you don't want to believe, Ware is GONE IMO, probably MM too and I would imagine at least a couple of transfers, IE Gunn and Banks.

We are ranked #101. The ship is not turned around.

Reactions: YOTHN
TJD wasn't drafted when he was playing for Archie. His game improved under Woodson.
TJD was a projected second round pick for 2021 draft. He pulled his name from consideration and returned to IU. At that time, he was considered a mid to low second round pick.
He was drafted 57th by Golden State in 2003 draft. Not a great improvement in draft status.

TJD meant more to Woodson than Woodson meant to TJD.
Without TJD, Woodson would definitely be gone after this year.

Last edited:
Not who you responded to but maybe he isn't satisfied with the great coaching that in less than three years, Woodson has almost most as many 15+ point losses as the previous two coaches did in their last three years COMBINED.

Or the great coaching that has us in the bottom half of the BT with more combined stars that any other team in the BT.

Or the great coaching that has gotten IU THUMPED by every good team they have played except UK.

Or the great roster construction that left a scholarship on the table even with limited shooters and a desperate need for guards.
Have you compared those losses to the non conference strength of schedule for each coach?

If we gave Archie two more years TJD wouldn't have pulled his name from the 2001 draft.
TJD was getting drafted no matter who was coaching. He is/was that good.
Ok, so you think he would have been drafted even though he wasn’t on any projected boards?

No way we are in the NCAA short of winning the BTT. 20-14 might get the NIT to look at us....depending on how many legit teams get stiffed by the NCAA due to losing their conference tourneys. Usually you can tell when spring arrives because IU is playing basketball still and Purdue is not. Unfortunately this will be a year without a spring. I wonder, can we blame El Nino for the hump-tastic season we have?

There's that take...

Here's my take...Woodson's only coaching experience was with the Knicks when they had Carmelo Anthony. Woodson came in, saw a generational talent like TJD, and naturally decided he needed to utilize/maximize his talent. No one would fault him for that. But, in his first year, he chose to just dump the ball down to TJD, over, and over, and over again. That's what he did with Carmelo...mid post, ISO, everyone else space away. Its 2010's NBA basketball to a T. That led to huge stats for TJD...but one of the least efficient (worst) offenses IU has had in 20 years.

I'm going to give Woody and company credit...they probably realized their mistakes...because in year 2, about half way though the season, TJD started playing away from the block for longer stretches. He moved around the perimeter more, set more ball screens, even brought the ball up the floor off misses at times. Combine that with JHS's impact, and our offense was more efficient, and we won a few more games as a result.

But it still wasn't an offense that produced much of anything from the perimeter players. It did make TJD more efficient. But we all saw how attractive it was this past offseason. Despite sending a guard to the lottery, our program was appealing enough for exactly ZERO perimeter players to come to Bloomington.

We got talent, for sure. And its produced more of the same one sided, low movement, non dynamic offense that we've largely seen since Woody arrived.

Here's one for you. Where does TJD get drafted if Woodson has the vision to play TJD how he played for a month or so last year in the middle of the season...the stretch that produced his triple double against Rutgers. And would we have been better as a result? And would we have landed someone like Dalton Knecht, if that's who we were instead of a blip on a two year post centric, non movement, non guard focused offense?

Reactions: twenty02
There's that take...

Here's my take...Woodson's only coaching experience was with the Knicks when they had Carmelo Anthony. Woodson came in, saw a generational talent like TJD, and naturally decided he needed to utilize/maximize his talent. No one would fault him for that. But, in his first year, he chose to just dump the ball down to TJD, over, and over, and over again. That's what he did with Carmelo...mid post, ISO, everyone else space away. Its 2010's NBA basketball to a T. That led to huge stats for TJD...but one of the least efficient (worst) offenses IU has had in 20 years.

I'm going to give Woody and company credit...they probably realized their mistakes...because in year 2, about half way though the season, TJD started playing away from the block for longer stretches. He moved around the perimeter more, set more ball screens, even brought the ball up the floor off misses at times. Combine that with JHS's impact, and our offense was more efficient, and we won a few more games as a result.

But it still wasn't an offense that produced much of anything from the perimeter players. It did make TJD more efficient. But we all saw how attractive it was this past offseason. Despite sending a guard to the lottery, our program was appealing enough for exactly ZERO perimeter players to come to Bloomington.

We got talent, for sure. And its produced more of the same one sided, low movement, non dynamic offense that we've largely seen since Woody arrived.

Here's one for you. Where does TJD get drafted if Woodson has the vision to play TJD how he played for a month or so last year in the middle of the season...the stretch that produced his triple double against Rutgers. And would we have been better as a result? And would we have landed someone like Dalton Knecht, if that's who we were instead of a blip on a two year post centric, non movement, non guard focused offense?
You lost me at Woodson’s only coaching experience is with the Knicks.

Most talented frontcourt, which is actually an indictment of Woody given IU blows.
Its an interesting thought/comparison...

I'd still find it hard to give anyone other than Purdue any sort of "best" or "most" label, in any sort of good way, when referencing bigs or front courts.

But Ware and Reneau are right up there. And their skill sets and abilities "should" compliment each other a lot better than they have this year.

From what I can tell we have exactly 1 win against a team that is tourney bound. Home win vs Wisconsin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT