ADVERTISEMENT

Would 20-14 get us dancing?

Wiedersehen

Junior
Jan 6, 2019
Finish the year with Ws over Minnesota and MSU plus two wins in the BTT over someone like Maryland and then Nebraska. Maybe that Saturday game against Illinois would be the opportunity we’d need to get into the NCAA.

It was nice to see the rally to come back from 15 points down today but that isn't happening in the BTT. We'd have to play engaged for 40 minutes for multiple games in a row and we have not done that all year.

interesting take during the Halftime Report on TV Broadcast. They project that 6 teams from the mountain West will make the tournament, and at least 5 of them have 19 or more wins already. This isn't the old days of one bid to each Conference outside of the Big 5 and load up with 7 or 8 bids from the Big Conferences. The talent is spread wider, and their are too many good teams out their to take a Big 10 team with only a .500 Conference Record.

To be clear I think no matter what happens Woodson is still on the hot seat. I don’t expect this bunch to win out.
Interesting viewpoint. I know you have your sources. I’m not disagreeing, I read things as Woody was safer than expected two games ago and he’s getting more safe. We’ll see.

Interesting viewpoint. I know you have your sources. I’m not disagreeing, I read things as Woody was safer than expected two games ago and he’s getting more safe. We’ll see.
Conflicting things for sure. Hes still not done but lots of stuff still going on.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Finish the year with Ws over Minnesota and MSU plus two wins in the BTT over someone like Maryland and then Nebraska. Maybe that Saturday game against Illinois would be the opportunity we’d need to get into the NCAA.
10-10 and a Saturday showing coulda been possible had they beaten Auburn or KU. But without one of those signature wins, IU needed to finish 12-8 at the absolute worse and make Saturday. Must win the BTT and that would have them in Dayton most likely.

No we have zero good wins at all. A Wisconsin team who has lost 6 or 8 is our best win.

If woodson is kept based on beating two bad teams the admins have proven they are not serious about mens basketball.

If Woody is back next year, I am not sure how they are as competitive as this year. Ware is gone, and MM and MR potentially as well. Lots of rumors Galloway is not back. Hard to fathom being 96 in kenpom and being worse. It is time for a change.
Come on man wooodson will jsut go get 8 portal guys it is how he rolls. MM an Ware are probably both gone.

I think if we win the BTT, they find a loophole and keep us out based on poor coaching. The only parts of the NBA game i see from our players is when they decide not to hustle back and/or not dive for loose balls.

Just noticed IU currently has an 8-10 record. Reminds me of the leaked Coach Knight rant. He wasn't yelling about getting over the hump!

10-10 and a Saturday showing coulda been possible had they beaten Auburn or KU. But without one of those signature wins, IU needed to finish 12-8 at the absolute worse and make Saturday. Must win the BTT and that would have them in Dayton most likely.
Our lousy showing the first 6 weeks of the season is why were on the outside looking in.

We didn't blow out the teams we should have blown out. Metrics and efficiency ratings didn't like that.

UConn and Auburn blew us out. Metrics and efficiency ratings didn't like that.

We didn't "get over the hump" and beat Kansas. So that did nothing for us on the metrics side.

And since then, we haven't been consistently good enough to move the needle back in the right direction.

Blow out the Armies of the world. Play closer games against UConn and Auburn. Hold on and beat Kansas. And we're probably right in the middle of the bubble conversation right now...with only 1 more win than we have.

If Woody is back, I hope he learns some lessons about not dicking around with lineups, taking crap teams more seriously, approaching things differently...whatever it takes for him to have his teams playing better basketball earlier in the season. It held us back his first two seasons, it killed us this year. Injuries have played a role, to be fair...but most teams deal with injuries, at some point. Recruit and build your rosters better so you have better depth to deal with it. And...we sucked REALLY badly with X to start the year...so there's that too.

To be clear I think no matter what happens Woodson is still on the hot seat. I don’t expect this bunch to win out.
I'm not so sure Woodson is on the hot seat. My car seat has heated seats with 2 temp functions....low and high. The low is comfortable, like Woody is....the high is a bit much...I can't use it. He isn't there either.

I'm not so sure Woodson is on the hot seat. My car seat has heated seats with 2 temp functions....low and high. The low is comfortable, like Woody is....the high is a bit much...I can't use it. He isn't there either.
Sure. It’s one of those situations that in the past he would automatically get 5 years. With NIL, B1G/SEC expansion etc…I’m not sure any coach that is underperforming is going to be safe. I’ve changed my opinion on that by the way. Lots of smoke about Dolson and company doing things behind the scenes. Trilly is doubling down on 2 candidates that are apparently approved for hire. Is it true? Don’t know but that guy(s) are/is right at an astonishing rate. From what’s being said things aren’t a sure thing with Woody regardless of if he wins. We shall see.

Sure. It’s one of those situations that in the past he would automatically get 5 years. With NIL, B1G/SEC expansion etc…I’m not sure any coach that is underperforming is going to be safe. I’ve changed my opinion on that by the way. Lots of smoke about Dolson and company doing things behind the scenes. Trilly is doubling down on 2 candidates that are apparently approved for hire. Is it true? Don’t know but that guy(s) are/is right at an astonishing rate. From what’s being said things aren’t a sure thing with Woody regardless of if he wins. We shall see.
Man, I hope that's the case. Even if a change isn't made, I'd have some comfort knowing Dolson and company are looking and talking this thing through.

The product on the court, the entire time he's been here, is a flashing warning sign...this year its become more of a frequent red warning sign than maybe some yellow flashers before... Doesn't mean they absolutely have to move on him, now. He's done some good things, obviously. But the style issues have been there from the start. The inconsistency issues have been there from the start. The substitution strategies have been an issue from the start...(but have improved this year, of late). The reactionary recruiting finally caught up with him.

But if I somehow knew they were "all good" with where he's at right now...well it'd be demoralizing.

Man, I hope that's the case. Even if a change isn't made, I'd have some comfort knowing Dolson and company are looking and talking this thing through.

The product on the court, the entire time he's been here, is a flashing warning sign...this year its become more of a frequent red warning sign than maybe some yellow flashers before... Doesn't mean they absolutely have to move on him, now. He's done some good things, obviously. But the style issues have been there from the start. The inconsistency issues have been there from the start. The substitution strategies have been an issue from the start...(but have improved this year, of late). The reactionary recruiting finally caught up with him.

But if I somehow knew they were "all good" with where he's at right now...well it'd be demoralizing.

IMO, Dolson has shown that he is pretty decisive. NOW, he might be overruled but I would bet he sees the same problems we do and I am confident he would act if he has the final say.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
IMO, Dolson has shown that he is pretty decisive. NOW, he might be overruled but I would bet he sees the same problems we do and I am confident he would act if he has the final say.
That’s what is being said. If Dolson can flip the few remaining Woodson guys.

The product on the court that got us to the tournament in year one and a five seed in year two with a freshman point guard is a “flashing warning sign?” What are you talking about?

I’m normally the “give a coach a chance” person. I’m just not sure with expansion you can wait these things out.

The product on the court that got us to the tournament in year one and a five seed in year two with a freshman point guard is a “flashing warning sign?” What are you talking about?
You are oversimplifying things. It’s not just that sign.

I listed them... Re read them if you want...

He’s got his work cut out to build a coalition of the willing. Maybe he is making progress. I’m not optimistic but Victor follows this well.

If I were Dolson I’d show the many millions ($10M+ easy) of lost revenue and marketing from being terrible at bball.

Reactions: Al Bino
I’m normally the “give a coach a chance” person. I’m just not sure with expansion you can wait these things out.
Do you mean wait out one of the most talented teams in IU history to become 19 and 20 years old or the horrendous coaching that has gotten us to the tournament and gotten our players drafted?

Loophole?

The BTT winner is the automatic bid.
He thinks Dean Wormer is running the NCAA.
IMG_2457.jpeg

Do you mean wait out one of the most talented teams in IU history to become 19 and 20 years old or the horrendous coaching that has gotten us to the tournament and gotten our players drafted?
You can’t honestly tell me Woodson is doing enough better than our last 2 guys. What could Crean have done with NIL? The B1G is the weakest it’s been in its history and that’s after not winning one since 2000. Woodson would get killed in the Big 12 and SEC. Hes only getting guys because he has the money to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT