ADVERTISEMENT

Workout 3rd hand info

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Talked to a buddy down here at Adidas event, that is close enough to program to have spent some time with the coaches the last couple days…

Anyway, he’s hearing (not from the coaches), but through others, that Tucker is looking like the best player on the team right now.

Take that for what it’s worth. We’re used to offseason hype like this. The significance, to me, is that when thinking of this team, Tucker is a guy I often forget about. Usually focusing on Rice, Carlyle, Ballo, Mack, Reneau, etc… if there’s a kid that even might be better than all those guys?… just underscores how good a job Woody did filling the roster at season’s end.

If Tucker can defend, there are a lot of minutes at the wing.
That’s one of the main reasons he was rated as high as he was in the star rankings. Hearing his offensive game is more developed than many thought.

Again, who knows how true it is. Or even if it is, if it’ll translate to actual game performances this winter. It was just a pleasant surprise that someone I haven’t thought much about, MIGHT be our best player this year.

Talked to a buddy down here at Adidas event, that is close enough to program to have spent some time with the coaches the last couple days…

Anyway, he’s hearing (not from the coaches), but through others, that Tucker is looking like the best player on the team right now.

Take that for what it’s worth. We’re used to offseason hype like this. The significance, to me, is that when thinking of this team, Tucker is a guy I often forget about. Usually focusing on Rice, Carlyle, Ballo, Mack, Reneau, etc… if there’s a kid that even might be better than all those guys?… just underscores how good a job Woody did filling the roster at season’s end.
Have you been at the IE games? Any presence from the IU staff? The Sleepers did a piece on Darryn Peterson and said Woody's not been there and is about the only B10 coach who hasn't been. Hoping we've had coaches there and maybe he shows today for the final.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
He should be a decent defender. Of course he needs to get strong and put in effort, that will happen. The other part is learning the nuances of the college game. Bryson is an academic guy: National Junior Honor Society and he’s already getting academic awards at IU based on his work in high school.

I’m not sure there is a provable tie to academic smarts and being a smart bball player, but it probably helps. He will probably figure it out pretty quick.

Last edited:

someone reported that about a month ago

someone reported that about a month ago

Have you been at the IE games? Any presence from the IU staff? The Sleepers did a piece on Darryn Peterson and said Woody's not been there and is about the only B10 coach who hasn't been. Hoping we've had coaches there and maybe he shows today for the final.
He’s been there for a couple days. Friday/Saturday at least. He and Howard and Ya, probably others too, were front row yesterday.

He should be a decent defender. Of course he needs to get strong and put in effort, that will happen. The other part is learning the nuances of the college game. Bryson is an academic guy: National Junior Honor Society and he’s already getting academic awards at IU based on his work in high school.

I’m not sure there is a provable tie to academic smarts and being a smart bball player, but it probably helps. He will probably figure it out pretty quick.
There does seem to be an intelligence tie in with football. Learning your own playbook and then recognizing what each of the teams you are going to play are trying to do. Basketball may be much less complex but surely there is some overlap

If Tucker can defend, there are a lot of minutes at the wing.
Really - we have 4 experienced wings (Mgbako, Galloway, Goode, Carlyle) plus a promising Newton, who is supposed to be an outstanding defender. That makes 6 players for 3 positions. I would be excited if he can the first player off the bench at the 2/3, but Galloway is so experienced.
Maybe Carlyle gets backup minutes at pg, thus opening up more wing minutes.

Really - we have 4 experienced wings (Mgbako, Galloway, Goode, Carlyle) plus a promising Newton, who is supposed to be an outstanding defender. That makes 6 players for 3 positions. I would be excited if he can the first player off the bench at the 2/3, but Galloway is so experienced.
Maybe Carlyle gets backup minutes at pg, thus opening up more wing minutes.
I hope the kid is great, but what's promising about Newton? A kid who hasn't played meaningful bball in over a year? Honestly I think folks just get it in their minds and build up from what amounts to gossip on here. Galloway, Goode, Carlyle and now Mbako have proven they can play at this level. I hope Newton can contribute but right now expect he'll be struggling as most freshman do when coming in. Just remember in the past 2 summers Bates, Leal, Banks and Gunn were all going to be big contributors this next season as told on here.

I hope the kid is great, but what's promising about Newton? A kid who hasn't played meaningful bball in over a year? Honestly I think folks just get it in their minds and build up from what amounts to gossip on here. Galloway, Goode, Carlyle and now Mbako have proven they can play at this level. I hope Newton can contribute but right now expect he'll be struggling as most freshman do when coming in. Just remember in the past 2 summers Bates, Leal, Banks and Gunn were all going to be big contributors this next season as told on here.
Everything gets "told on here". To characterize what was said at one time or another as the reigning narrative is extremely disingenuous. i.e., a lie. No one I recall labeled Leal as a "big contributor", I distinctly remember posts marking Gunn as unproven and undeserving of any elite designation, Banks was at best an afterthought for most, and Bates was the subject of perpetual debate.

What's promising about Newton is that he was a consensus top 100 recruit, gets to play in an IU uniform and is another backcourt option - that's good for openers...

Everything gets "told on here". To characterize what was said at one time or another as the reigning narrative is extremely disingenuous. i.e., a lie. No one I recall labeled Leal as a "big contributor", I distinctly remember posts marking Gunn as unproven and undeserving of any elite designation, Banks was at best an afterthought for most, and Bates was the subject of perpetual debate.

What's promising about Newton is that he was a consensus top 100 recruit, gets to play in an IU uniform and is another backcourt option - that's good for openers...
Perpetual debate or not, Bates was a consensus top 30 recruit. Most thought woody had pulled a rabbit out of his hat - until we actually saw him play.

Two (3?) summers ago we were being told exactly the same about Bates being the best player in workouts and everyone had built the idea up that Leal was a sniper in waiting. Last summer it was Gunn. Newton looks like a super athletic kid and had a ranking that makes you think he could help (could being the pivotal word), but we've had equally highly rated kids who didn't pan out and ones that didn't have to sit out a year with an injury on top of being injured much of their senior year. Again, I hope he kills it, but I think there's a lot of reason to think it may take him awhile and I've seen nothing on here of actual witnesses to his play other than a great vertical leap.

Last edited:
All of those guys you mentioned have proven they can play at this level...they've also all proven they can play for mediocre teams, for the most part, at this level. Those guys establish our floor for this next year. I think Carlyle and Mgbako probably have quite a bit of growth potential, which is great. But Galloway and Goode are who they are. We need guys like Tucker, and Newton, to take minutes from those guys by being better than what Galloway and Goode have established they'll be. THAT'S how we'll make huge strides this year, and do some fun things.

As for what's promising about Newton? I base all my optimism on his high school tape, and how he performed essentially on 1 leg in the showcase game on ESPN. Not a lot to go on, borderline blind faith actually. But it wasn't all that difficult to see the types of things Newton will be capable of providing, and we desperately need those things...athleticism, physicality, "dawg" mentality. Also...for most of his games this year, he wore his jersey over his warmups...and he was an active and enthusiastic bench guy. Can't overstate how impressive that is these days.

If Newton ends up getting 15-20 minutes a game this year, that'll probably upset some other guys on the roster, but it'll be a VERY good thing for IU basketball.

With Newton it's all about whether he's healthy or not. He's had over a year of rehab with a D1 program, so he's gotten the best possible care and nutrition during the process. He's also only 19, so his body still heals quickly (unlike all of our old ass bodies). What's always been promising is his freak athleticism paired with his ridiculous wingspan: 6'10"

With his measurables, reach, and athleticism he projects as an elite defender. If he forces his way into the rotation, then I totally agree with IUNorth that it would be a very good thing.

All of those guys you mentioned have proven they can play at this level...they've also all proven they can play for mediocre teams, for the most part, at this level. Those guys establish our floor for this next year. I think Carlyle and Mgbako probably have quite a bit of growth potential, which is great. But Galloway and Goode are who they are. We need guys like Tucker, and Newton, to take minutes from those guys by being better than what Galloway and Goode have established they'll be. THAT'S how we'll make huge strides this year, and do some fun things.

As for what's promising about Newton? I base all my optimism on his high school tape, and how he performed essentially on 1 leg in the showcase game on ESPN. Not a lot to go on, borderline blind faith actually. But it wasn't all that difficult to see the types of things Newton will be capable of providing, and we desperately need those things...athleticism, physicality, "dawg" mentality. Also...for most of his games this year, he wore his jersey over his warmups...and he was an active and enthusiastic bench guy. Can't overstate how impressive that is these days.

If Newton ends up getting 15-20 minutes a game this year, that'll probably upset some other guys on the roster, but it'll be a VERY good thing for IU basketball.
I get what you're saying about Galloway and Goode, but both those players have defined roles, roles that are essential to any championship caliber team. Unless Tucker (or Newton) prove to be head over heels better than Goode or Galloway, I think minutes are going to be tough to come by. Most first year players don't do "all the little things" out of the gate.

Reactions: 76-1

our best player is our freshman?!

I can understand your reluctance to buy into hype. Yet, Newton is an athletic, 6’10 wingspan guy whose body is more than ready for the B1G (assuming he’s telling the truth about his health). He loves to play defense and has a giant chip on his shoulder.

I’d say he’s promising, though getting a chance to demonstrate that promise among this loaded roster could prove challenging.

He’s been there for a couple days. Friday/Saturday at least. He and Howard and Ya, probably others too, were front row yesterday.
You mean The Sleepers and a bunch of random posters who aren't there, and never are at any of these events and don't know basketball recruiting from their podcast-cushioned arses, are just making shit up about Woodson? No way.

He's gotten more than his share of top HS recruits that I'm willing to bet that he's been plenty "present" on the recruiting trail. That isn't remotely on my list of concerns. Now, can he coach them up? Jury's still kind of out on that.

You mean The Sleepers and a bunch of random posters who aren't there, and never are at any of these events and don't know basketball recruiting from their podcast-cushioned arses, are just making shit up about Woodson? No way.

He's gotten more than his share of top HS recruits that I'm willing to bet that he's been plenty "present" on the recruiting trail. That isn't remotely on my list of concerns. Now, can he coach them up? Jury's still kind of out on that.
Woodson (and staff) spent two days in Rock Hill SC at the Adidas event and an addition day in Atlanta watching Mikel Brown.

Reactions: nichlee and kkott
I'll wager anyone that Tucker plays more minutes than Ballo and Reneau do together. When you watch him, he's one of those guys that you say, "ok that dude knows how to play." He won't have the "where am I look" Mgbako had last year. He's a Stephon Castle level defender.

• Haha
I'll wager anyone that Tucker plays more minutes than Ballo and Reneau do together. When you watch him, he's one of those guys that you say, "ok that dude knows how to play." He won't have the "where am I look" Mgbako had last year. He's a Stephon Castle level defender.
That's interesting. You mean combine time of Ballo and Malik on the floor together, over total mins for Tucker?

Does Woody know about this Tucker guy?

This is definitely possible. Ballo won't play many more than 20 minutes himself...at least he never has before. They'll likely start out the games together, but after one of them is subbed out, it might end up being rare that the 2 of them are on the court together again...maybe until crunch time at the end. So Bryson might only need to play 15 minutes or so to make your prediction correct.

This is definitely possible. Ballo won't play many more than 20 minutes himself...at least he never has before. They'll likely start out the games together, but after one of them is subbed out, it might end up being rare that the 2 of them are on the court together again...maybe until crunch time at the end. So Bryson might only need to play 15 minutes or so to make your prediction correct.
20 or 30? Ballo has avg 27 and 26 minutes each of the last 2 season.

I doubt we spent millions on ballo for just 20 min a game.

That's interesting. You mean combine time of Ballo and Malik on the floor together, over total mins for Tucker?
that doesn't even make sense as that would total more than 40 mpg. Tucker might be good, but I doubt he'll play more than 40 mpg! I don't get the relevance, but I'm guessing he means the time Ballo and Reanu are on the floor together, and that might be more interesting. I guess he's saying Tucker will be so good that it might force CMW to go to a 4 out 1 in rotation, in favor of Tucker. I've hoped he'd do that anyway to get Goode into the rotation. Ballo or Reanu with Mbako, Goode/Tucker, Carlyle/Galloway and Rice should be able to contend with most front courts. My biggest concern with Reanu is defense and rebounding. Seems to be a poor rebounder for his size in the past.

That's super high praise, have you actually seen summer workouts? Castle was extremely rare in that he came in as a high level defender as a freshman. I sure hope you're right, but if you haven't seen him in workouts, or know someone well who has, that seems unlikely.

Heck, I heard a couple folks who'd seen Mbako in AAU (Rick Bozich for one) and they thought he was a very good defender. Different at the college level.

Ballo and Malik will play together a lot. That’s a certainty. They will also play 4 out just like they did a lot last year.
I think that's much more likely, and frankly, makes sense for Reanu. I'm sure he sees how it helped Ware's value showing his flexibility in going inside or out (and also TJDs). While I think his shot looks pretty good, he's not looked comfortable or confident on the perimeter, but looks like a beast in the paint. I think the plan with him coming back is to give him more time on the perimeter with Ballo manning the paint, where he's most comfortable and will play in the pros.

Coyle was just touting how NC teams have had 4+ players who got drafted. In Ballo, Mbako, Carlyle and Reanu I think there are 4 who will get drafted or signed for the pros. Tucker, Newton and Rice might be possibilities down the road too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT