ADVERTISEMENT

Woke, Feeble SNL fans trying to cancel Dave Chappelle

I, for one, am looking forward to watching as this will probably be the best episode SNL has done in years.

Anybody calling what Chappelle said in The Closer “transphobic” is either: an idiot, didn’t watch or both.

Anybody calling what Chappelle said in The Closer “transphobic” is either: an idiot, didn’t watch or both.
I agree it's stupid.

It's also a sign of how far we have fallen in journalism and media that we now write articles about and discuss the opinions of random whack jobs on Twitter. (I read these articles far too often--clickbait, no?).

I think this will be his third post election hosting, and his monologues were sensational in the last two.

He's kindof a cooling and rational voice as he points out the ridiculousness of everyone....which is ya know, what a comedian is supposed to do?

Here was his monologue after the 2016 election if interested.

Good stuff.

I'm sure he'll comment on whatever controversy he involved with (,I have not seen the clip) because, again he's a comedian, not a public official. Making people uncomfortable while offering a different perspective is kind of in the job description.

I think this will be his third post election hosting, and his monologues were sensational in the last two.

He's kindof a cooling and rational voice as he points out the ridiculousness of everyone....which is ya know, what a comedian is supposed to do?

Here was his monologue after the 2016 election if interested.

Good stuff.

I'm sure he'll comment on whatever controversy he involved with (,I have not seen the clip) because, again he's a comedian, not a public official. Making people uncomfortable while offering a different perspective is kind of in the job description.
Since the beginning of time comedians/court jesters have been making jokes that can make people uncomfortable. Sometimes people laugh and sometimes people boo and throw rotten garbage. If you offended the royal family you might get beheaded. Talk about a rough crowd.

This whole "whoa is me. I am a comedian" act is tiresome. You're either funny to your crowd or you're not. If you're not, don't blame the crowd.

Dave is one of the funny ones.

Since the beginning of time comedians/court jesters have been making jokes that can make people uncomfortable. Sometimes people laugh and sometimes people boo and throw rotten garbage. If you offended the royal family you might get beheaded. Talk about a rough crowd.

This whole "whoa is me. I am a comedian" act is tiresome. You're either funny to your crowd or you're not. If you're not, don't blame the crowd.

Dave is one of the funny ones.
Lenny Bruce wants to talk with Chappelle about what it really looks like to be cancelled. ;)

I, for one, am looking forward to watching as this will probably be the best episode SNL has done in years.

WGAFF what Chappelle or SNL say, think or do? Y'all are a bunch of old ladies and teenage girls gossiping about celebrities? Why?

WGAFF what Chappelle or SNL say, think or do? Y'all are a bunch of old ladies and teenage girls gossiping about celebrities? Why?
No surprise you miss the message and look only at the wrapper.

SNL sux, but Chappelle has intellect.

Probably best if you sit this one out.

Reactions: jet812
Sad that you can't tell the difference between a comic facing a free market response to his jokes and a comic being prosecuted by the government.

And I disagree with much that the people who are protesting against Chappelle are pushing.

prosecuted by the government or cancelled by mainstream media… they aren’t as far off as you think

Sad that you can't tell the difference between a comic facing a free market response to his jokes and a comic being prosecuted by the government.

And I disagree with much that the people who are protesting against Chappelle are pushing.
That’s a massive stretch to call this latest situation a “free market” response.

When his stand up show was “cancelled” over the summer due to snowflake fainting couch theater employees and was relocated and sold out immediately - I’d call that the appropriate free market response.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
That’s a massive stretch to call this latest situation a “free market” response.

When his stand up show was “cancelled” over the summer due to snowflake fainting couch theater employees and was relocated and sold out immediately - I’d call that the appropriate free market response.

hoos likely endorses the protestors that verbally and physically attacked participants trying to see Dave in Minneapolis

hoos likely endorses the protestors that verbally and physically attacked participants trying to see Dave in Minneapolis
I read that he disagrees with them. Where I disagree with him on the definition of a fair market response. Employees threatening to quit isn’t a free market. Blue haired freaks shouting someone down in an auditorium isn’t free market.

That's right. No one is going to jail. That is not coming back. the angry towns people with rotten garbage though...

However its not completely free market when the opinions being voiced are based on kneejerk reactions and in many cases flat out lies. This isn't a new issue though either.

Kevin Smith's movie "Dogma" as an example and his perfect and classic troll job...

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
That's right. No one is going to jail. That is not coming back. the angry towns people with rotten garbage though...

However its not completely free market when the opinions being voiced are based on kneejerk reactions and in many cases flat out lies. This isn't a new issue though either.

Kevin Smith's movie "Dogma" as an example and his perfect and classic troll job...

Ugh, what an awful movie. Dont' think he's made a good movie since.

Too bad, too, because Clerks/Mallrats/Chasing Amy was a hell of a run.

I cancelled Dave after watching the Closer on Netflix. Not b/c i was offended, but it was a lazy set. I really like his interviews, but his last few sets on Netflix were very pedestrian for someone that people are calling the goat.

Reactions: UncleMark
I cancelled Dave after watching the Closer on Netflix. Not b/c i was offended, but it was a lazy set. I really like his interviews, but his last few sets on Netflix were very pedestrian for someone that people are calling the goat.
He’s not the GOAT of stand up comedy. Not even close.

Um, well, sure it is.
Not in the least. The show was sold out hours later at a new venue. A free and rational market means the theater owner lost out on thousands - and would have not cancelled the show. The free market wanted the show.

Not in the least. The show was sold out hours later at a new venue. A free and rational market means the theater owner lost out on thousands - and would have not cancelled the show. The free market wanted the show.
But employees can be irrational actors in a free market. I hope they were also all blackballed as well.

HIs standup now is nowhere close to Killin' them Softly, but his sketch comedy was up there with some of the best. His show was impressively hilarious.

HIs standup now is nowhere close to Killin' them Softly, but his sketch comedy was up there with some of the best. His show was impressively hilarious.
Some of those sketches were great. I loved his interview with Letterman on netflix. Lately, you can tell he got the netflix money than made the stand up sets, instead of having great material than getting paid.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I’m always said that comedy should be exempt from PC criticism. The arena is not made to make everyone feel good. It’s to make you laugh. Sometimes at things you know you shouldn’t laugh at.
I know that is a popular take, but disagree. I think they should have a longer leash, but i don't think anybody gets to say anything they want w/out any issue. There are 2 types of art; good art and bad art...that pertains to comedy, music, watercolors....

Reactions: hoosboot
But employees can be irrational actors in a free market. I hope they were also all blackballed as well.
Of course. Labor gets to decide what it is willing to do for the compensation being offered and management gets to decide whether it wants to employ and at what price point. That sure seems like classic free market to me. I certainly wouldn't hire those people again if I were the venue.

Reactions: larsIU
I know that is a popular take, but disagree. I think they should have a longer leash, but i don't think anybody gets to say anything they want w/out any issue. There are 2 types of art; good art and bad art...that pertains to comedy, music, watercolors....
The answer isn't to silence them. The answer to not liking a comedian is to not listen to them. Go listen to someone else. There is literally millions of options for entertainment. Dave Chappell doesn't have some sort of monopoly.

And no comedy should never be exempt from any criticism. Nothing should be. Free speech works all ways. If you cannot handle criticism then you should not be in a profession where there is literally a spotlight on you.

Disagree. If a comedian isn’t funny, don’t go to the shows or watch the special. Hell, if they aren’t funny they are getting the Netflix deal anyway. It’s a meritocracy. Now, if we as a country start all thinking a horrifically racist comic is funny, I’ll reevaluate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT