ADVERTISEMENT

WKU Recap

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
A road win in a hype environment, you take it everytime. Not shocked by the closeness of the score. I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the season WKU is one of the top 10 or 15 offenses in the country. They were pretty impressive.

Good
Penix was 35 for 53 which is .660. He looked like a different QB tonight. He was stepping into his throws, stepping up in the pocket, going through his progressions and throwing with accuracy. The offense came out focused and sharp. The first play they were in empty set which I love.
Sheridan has added some nice misdirection concepts to the run game and then has some short passing plays that spin off of that. I'm starting to get comfortable with Sheridan but the last step is can they execute against Big Ten defenses?
Carr had 109 yards on 25 carries is looking like a 1,000 yard rusher out there.
Fry had 10 catches for 98 yards.
Hendershot had 6 catches for 94 yards.
There was a 4th and 1 or 2 at the start of the 2nd Quarter where WKU went for it and the Hoosier D-Line just swallowed the Hilltopper O-line. A wave of white surged into their backfield...I was actually embarrassed for them lol.
There was a sequence in the 4th were WKU had the ball and a chance to take the lead. Mullen had a terrific pass break-up and I think the next play Cam Jones had that big stick where the receiver could have been / should have been called for targeting. Two players making big plays when the defense needed it most. Come to think of it Ball had that play where he tomahawked the ball out as well.

Room to Grow
Matthews had a drop right at the beginning. Fry had at least 2 drops. Buckley let another catchable ball get through his hands.
Baldwin had another fumble that Indiana was fortunate to get back. If he can't hold on to the ball he shouldn't be out there. I think he also dropped one that Penix put right in his hands.
Penix had a few throws that were a little high or low or behind but there were also several more drops. Some of the balls that were slightly inaccurate were still caught but a high degree of accuracy can lead to an explosive play.
Another kick off out of bounds, that's twice this year, that needs to stop.

Injuries
D.J. Matthews - didn't look good. People get man when you speculate, hope he's able to return at some point this season. He had definitely become the #2 option out there.
J. Williams - not sure (I actually have a guess but like I said people get mad so I'll refrain), we may not know until next Saturday (if he'll play or not)
Raheem Layne was banged up, I'm not sure did he go back out or no?
And I noticed Mullen was limping off the field after the game.

That WKU O is pretty tough, they were even better than expected. But their defense is pretty bad. WRs just kinda run free in their secondary. The big question coming out of this game is can Penix and the Offense execute at a similarly high level against Big Ten defenses? I also worry about WR depth if Matthew is indeed out for extended time. Hopefully some of us over-reacted to Penix's play through three games - let's hope some of the issues don't re-emerge against higher level competition. How will the o-line hold up against Penn State, Michigan, Michigan St, etc? We'll find out soon.

Great win, go Hoosiers! LEO.

A road win in a hype environment, you take it everytime. Not shocked by the closeness of the score. I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the season WKU is one of the top 10 or 15 offenses in the country. They were pretty impressive.

Good
Penix was 35 for 53 which is .660. He looked like a different QB tonight. He was stepping into his throws, stepping up in the pocket, going through his progressions and throwing with accuracy. The offense came out focused and sharp. The first play they were in empty set which I love.
Sheridan has added some nice misdirection concepts to the run game and then has some short passing plays that spin off of that. I'm starting to get comfortable with Sheridan but the last step is can they execute against Big Ten defenses?
There was a 4th and 1 or 2 at the start of the 2nd Quarter where WKU went for it and the Hoosier D-Line just swallowed the Hilltopper O-line. A wave of white surged into their backfield...I was actually embarrassed for them lol.
There was a sequence in the 4th were WKU had the ball and a chance to take the lead. Mullen had a terrific pass break-up and I think the next play Cam Jones had that big stick where the receiver could have been / should have been called for targeting. Two players making big plays when the defense needed it most. Come to think of it Ball had that play where he tomahawked the ball out as well.

Room to Grow
Matthews had a drop right at the beginning. Fry had at least 2 drops. Buckley let another catchable ball get through his hands.
Baldwin had another fumble that Indiana was fortunate to get back. If he can't hold on to the ball he shouldn't be out there. I think he also dropped one that Penix put right in his hands.
Penix had a few throws that were a little high or low or behind but there were also several more drops. Some of the balls that were slightly inaccurate were still caught but a high degree of accuracy can lead to an explosive play.

Injuries
D.J. Matthews - didn't look good. People get man when you speculate, hope he's able to return at some point this season. He had definitely become the #2 option out there.
J. Williams - not sure (I actually have a guess but like I said people get mad so I'll refrain), we may not know until next Saturday (if he'll play or not)

That WKU O is pretty tough, they were even better than expected. But their defense is pretty bad. WRs just kinda run free in their secondary. The big question coming out of this game is can Penix and the Offense execute at a similarly high level against Big Ten defenses? I also worry about WR depth if Matthew is indeed out for extended time. Hopefully some of us over-reacted to Penix's play through three games - let's hope some of the issues don't re-emerge against higher level competition. How will the o-line hold up against Penn State, Michigan, Michigan St, etc? We'll find out soon.

As for Mullen, it looked like cramps to me. IIRC, that has been an issue before.

I take Penix’s good game with a grain of salt! WKU mostly didnt give him any pressures until late in the game! He coulda sat in the pocket and smoke a pack of cigarettes! That wasnt a type of defense that IU will face in the B10!

Lots of dropped balls too! I still HATE that IU runs the frekkn ball on every single 1st down for 1-3 yards! I was screaming at them for doing this on their 2nd to last possession! 2 runs down the middle to make it 3rd and long! Luckily that 3rd down was converted! Sheridan needs to get his head out his own arse!

Good

Room to Grow

Injuries

Kevin Wilson and Hal Mumme has a baby and it’s the WKU offense. Super quick receivers with good hands. Fast tempo. Always somebody open. We were lucky to make em punt 3 times.lucky to

Gotta say, as good as Penix played, he left a lot out there. There were times guys were wiiiiide open and he never looked at em.

Our OL was up to this task, but we won’t get 2 yards a rush at PSU, so the passing game better be ready to carry us.

Matthews couldn’t use his leg at all. Expect the worst.

The biggest thing was mistake free football from penix. I was waiting for the untimely interception to cost us the game, but he kept delivering. It was a much needed game for the O, and they bailed out the D. I think the D bounces back against PSU
I couldnt believe that with that many plays, there were no turnovers.

Kevin Wilson and Hal Mumme has a baby and it’s the WKU offense. Super quick receivers with good hands. Fast tempo. Always somebody open. We were lucky to make em punt 3 times.lucky to

Gotta say, as good as Penix played, he left a lot out there. There were times guys were wiiiiide open and he never looked at em.

Our OL was up to this task, but we won’t get 2 yards a rush at PSU, so the passing game better be ready to carry us.

Matthews couldn’t use his leg at all. Expect the worst.
Were you at the game? With the camera work today I couldn’t see anything downfield, didn’t have an opportunity to see if he missed anybody open.

Reactions: vesuvius13
My major takeaway. You won't beat good teams in the Big 10 kicking 4 Field Goals a game. don't get me wrong. It's great to have a highly accurate FG Kicker like Campbell. But the Offense needs to have a sense of urgency when they get inside the 25. The goal of the Offense should be to hold Campbell to no field goal attempts on drives where they get the Ball inside the 25. They should consider it a personal insult and failure if they don't get the ball in the End Zone in those situations.

The goal of the Offense should be to hold Campbell to no field goal attempts on drives where they get the Ball inside the 25. They should consider it a personal insult and failure if they don't get the ball in the End Zone in those situations.

There was a graphic on screen when the WKU kicker was setting up for his first attempt that said he was 1 for 1 for the season.

I am feeling good about last nights win. The outcome was very much in the balance. Idk it just seemed like we saw some slight glimpses of improvement.
We had to fight hard all night … and did

Their defense showed a lot of different looks - their offense was unique and hard to cover

It’ll be interesting to see them play MSU

But …

Our OL still does not open HOLES for a RB - they pass-protect pretty well, but in league that may not be enough.

And it's now clear we aren’t gonna blitz as much - we’re trying to muscle a 4 man rush And use the blitz as a “surprise” - sigh.

Agree,

We have ONE interception all year

Pressure causes mistakes - we need to apply that pressure
There was one play that could have completely turned this game into an IU rout.
1st Quarter - 0:58
An easy interception, one he’s made several times in his career, goes right through the outstretched hands of Jaylin Williams at the 15 yard line. They go on to score that possession. What potentially could have become 21-0 IU suddenly is 14-7.

On that drive, I thought that their TB fumbled at the 1 yard line and our guys acted like we recovered but the refs ran in and scooped it up to spot it? That’s not reviewed?

P.S. - McFadden is a beast out there. That kid was a 4-star disguised as a 2-star on Rivals.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT