ADVERTISEMENT

With each new passing day...

NoVertical

Senior
Nov 29, 2003
With each new decision made by Fred Glass... you could write a book on this failed train wreck, "A Legacy On The Blink." You had an opportunity to host an NIT game for season ticket holders and those who normally can't attend games and they do this? From cutting nets down after a home loss... to bumbling against everyone who throws up a 2-3 zone... to ZERO BT Tourney Championships because they play like a last place team... to the new lasting legacy of being absolutely owned by Wisconsin (IU should rejoice that UW doesn't have a baseball team because they'd own IU in that also). etc. etc. this has become beyond weird science... and the only ones who aren't laughing is this administration... because they have turned this into their version of a failed "new normal."

with each passing day....i think Crean is staying. As soon as Glass decided that Crean was not apart of the future he should of let him go...children delay the inevitable, not people in important positions...hence i think Crean is staying

with each passing day....i think Crean is staying. As soon as Glass decided that Crean was not apart of the future he should of let him go...children delay the inevitable, not people in important positions...hence i think Crean is staying

I think he's staying too.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
With each passing day I think he is gone and that Crean is being afforded every opportunity for a soft landing. I would be more concerned with an imminent announcement because I believe that would be an extension. IMHO Glass will pull the trigger when push comes to shove and Crean has failed to secure said soft landing and Glass needs to get on with interviewing candidates. Unless of course, he already has his man.
All just opinion - I know nothing.

Reactions: gmcmino and RRgo
With each passing day I think he is gone and that Crean is being afforded every opportunity for a soft landing. I would be more concerned with an imminent announcement because I believe that would be an extension. IMHO Glass will pull the trigger when push comes to shove and Crean has failed to secure said soft landing and Glass needs to get on with interviewing candidates. Unless of course, he already has his man.

Oh ok. Yeah, well, I know everything and I'm certain he will be back. :)

I think he's staying too.
IF Crean stays, then WHEN next season starts to go south, after the bloody end we'll get a new AD and a new HC. If Crean stays, the only way he and Glass keep their jobs is for IU to win the B1G, win the BTT, or have 6 or fewer losses for the year and be ranked in top 10. If by mid-season most of these things cannot come true, it is possible that Crean is fired or (more likely resigns to prevent being fired) before the season is finished. Ugly.

Reactions: hoosierstateII
Crean's performance does not justify giving him an extension, which means he should find a new job to save face or be fired.
Because that has to be the two choices for Glass: Offer an extension to Crean, or terminate Crean's employment.

I believe it is a money thing. Both sides know they are going to separate it is just a matter of dollars. Crean will want to maximize and IU will want to minimize. I think Crean is in the driver seat regarding negotiations. He can stay, go work at ESPN, take an assistant job in NBA, etc. and IU is on the hook. There just isn't a way that Glass can justify keeping him when he said this:

“My goals for this program are to perennially contend for and to win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep in the NCAA tournament and win our next national championship,” he told the Star. “Be elite, if you will. As a lifelong Hoosier and IU basketball fan, alumnus and current AD, nobody wants that more than me."

Last edited:

I don't see him being shown the door. This is the unfortunate truth. Unless some other school is going to offer up more $ than IU , he stays.

Hoping you are wrong in this instance.

No, I have no doubt he is fired. Not that I have any birdies or read any tarot cards but Glass not supporting Crean is the nail. Doing this and keeping Crean would essentially have made Crean's job that much harder. No sense in it. I feel like FG and TC are in the midst of negotiations around his buyout. I think some concessions will have to be made on both parts. IU will have to guarantee a portion and TC will obviously have to take less. That to me, is the main delay.

Reactions: eddy4iu
I believe it is a money thing. Both sides know they are going to separate it is just a matter of dollars. Crean will want to maximize and IU will want to minimize. I think Crean is in the driver seat regarding negotiations. He can stay, go work at ESPN, take an assistant job in NBA, etc. and IU is on the hook. There just isn't a way that Glass can justify keeping him when he said this:

“My goals for this program are to perennially contend for and to win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep in the NCAA tournament and win our next national championship,” he told the Star. “Be elite, if you will. As a lifelong Hoosier and IU basketball fan, alumnus and current AD, nobody wants that more than me."

Ya know, I hear OKC might have a coaching job available? I know at least one player on that team who would be a great referral too!

I don't see why all the fuss. Are any of the Coaches everybody has been clamoring for available yet? Has Mizzou, Illinois, NC State, or LSU filled their vacancies? Illinois top choice was Monty williams and he turned them down. I haven't seen him on any wish list to replace Crean.

It has been a frustrating season but the kids came to IU to play basketball. Let them play. At least for the next game or 2 or however long it takes, they want to play and want to play for Crean. Maybe to send him off on a positive note even if it is just the NIT. He may be a poor coach but one thing is his players play hard for him and support him to the end.

may god have mercy on us.....Maybe we can revisit the in possession switch of zone to man-to-man (& vice versa), we were so close to working out the kinks
That defense confuses 6 or 7 players on the court. Unfortunately, at least 4 of those are IU players, so the better-skilled offensive players find a way to score.

I don't see why all the fuss. Are any of the Coaches everybody has been clamoring for available yet? Has Mizzou, Illinois, NC State, or LSU filled their vacancies? Illinois top choice was Monty williams and he turned them down. I haven't seen him on any wish list to replace Crean.

It has been a frustrating season but the kids came to IU to play basketball. Let them play. At least for the next game or 2 or however long it takes, they want to play and want to play for Crean. Maybe to send him off on a positive note even if it is just the NIT. He may be a poor coach but one thing is his players play hard for him and support him to the end.

I think the fuss is more just people concerned that FG makes a bad decision. I don't think people would care if he was let go today or next week as long as he was let go. It's not knowing if that will be the case that is causing people to feel uneasy. Look at Illinois, they accepted an NIT bid, accepted the offer to host the game AND fired their coach.

IF Crean stays, then WHEN next season starts to go south, after the bloody end we'll get a new AD and a new HC. If Crean stays, the only way he and Glass keep their jobs is for IU to win the B1G, win the BTT, or have 6 or fewer losses for the year and be ranked in top 10. If by mid-season most of these things cannot come true, it is possible that Crean is fired or (more likely resigns to prevent being fired) before the season is finished. Ugly.
We will lose at least 17 games next year if he stays IMHO. Cupboard bare in terms of talent, and of course elite level coaching ability. The fall will continue.

I think the fuss is more just people concerned that FG makes a bad decision. I don't think people would care if he was let go today or next week as long as he was let go. It's not knowing if that will be the case that is causing people to feel uneasy. Look at Illinois, they accepted an NIT bid, accepted the offer to host the game AND fired their coach.

I understand but in the end it is about the players. I know folks will bring up the players and making Davis coach but I think we are talking about a different situation of replacing a coach in March/April not September.

Does IU want to be like Illinois?

I don't see this as being as big of a monetary issue as people think. I'm pretty sure the salary from any new job is subtracted from the buyout. Unless Crean chooses to be unemployed for the next few years IU shouldn't owe him much of anything in regards to a buyout.

We will lose at least 17 games next year if he stays IMHO. Cupboard bare in terms of talent, and of course elite level coaching ability. The fall will continue.
So you know who is leaving?

Since we are reading tea leaves, here's my take. I get the concern that with each passing day with no news, he may be staying. But, Glass hasn't come out and say he is staying. Now, some may counter that he doesn't need to. Well, he did in 2015 with a lot less heat than now. And if he is staying, why not just rip the bandaid off and announce it?

So while I get the concern because we want him gone, I will maintain hope. Of course, we all know hope is a dangerous thing.

I think Glass either has, or will, come to the conclusion that the risk of keeping Crean > the risk of letting him go.

Reactions: hondo314
Since we are reading tea leaves, here's my take. I get the concern that with each passing day with no news, he may be staying. But, Glass hasn't come out and say he is staying. Now, some may counter that he doesn't need to. Well, he did in 2015 with a lot less heat than now. And if he is staying, why not just rip the bandaid off and announce it?

So while I get the concern because we want him gone, I will maintain hope. Of course, we all know hope is a dangerous thing.

I think Glass either has, or will, come to the conclusion that the risk of keeping Crean > the risk of letting him go.

In 2015 he didn't say anything until March 25. One reason for his silence now could be that he doesn't want to piss everyone off on the eve of the NIT. Better to make his statement supporting Crean after the games are finished and give everyone time to cool off.

In 2015 he didn't say anything until March 25. One reason for his silence now could be that he doesn't want to piss everyone off on the eve of the NIT. Better to make his statement supporting Crean after the games are finished and give everyone time to cool off.

http://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz-clock-ticking-tom-crean-era

Glass was supporting Crean in early March. He wasn't saying he was staying for sure. But when was the last time Glass said anything like he did in this article?

We certainly hope he's staying over in the Land of Lincoln! :p Seriously, though, I think Illinois is much more attractive than during our last opening (MUCH better AD, infinitely better institutional stability, recently renovated facilities, etc.), so I think Whitman can actually make a pretty big hire. However, I would have to think that anyone Indiana wants, they're getting over us. IU not being in the market for a new coach is an absolutely huge development for Illinois.

With that said, any competent AD is firing Crean.

Reactions: hondo314

Why would the NBA want him?

Every year there are all kinds of names thrown around of college coaches going to the NBA. I've never seen Crean's name mentioned even once.

What would he do as an assistant? He can't teach the big guys anything. He's clueless about fundamentals.

Because, God forbid, if he wins the NIT, the apologists just might convince Glass to keep him.

If we are waiting for another school to take Crean off our hands, we are doing it wrong. It shows how weak and feckless our leaders are.

We either accept the current level of performance or we need to go in a new direction. We should dictate the terms of our own program. Mizzou or another school might decide Crean isn't their guy. That has nothing to do with us and should not drive our decision. If we haven't fired Crean by Friday (assuming we lose tomorrow like Glass has set us up to do), we are probably stuck with Crean. Our only recourse at that time is if Glass and Crean get fired together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT