ADVERTISEMENT

Win or lose extend CKW's contract

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
IU has played two top-10 teams tough to the end on national television. If IU does not pick up a quality quarterback for next year it does not matter who the coach is going to be. Don't kill the recruiting.

IU has played two top-10 teams tough to the end on national television. If IU does not pick up a quality quarterback for next year it does not matter who the coach is going to be. Don't kill the recruiting.

What recruiting? Are you referring to the one that's last in the Big Ten?

Reactions: thoops7

Agreed.

Forget all the guys on here who confuse being negative with being intelligent. .

Reactions: JCHoosier
For how long and at what pay? Should any strings be attached (# of wins next year, a bowl berth next year, removing anyone from the current staff, etc.)?

Does anybody remember Cameron being fired after a 4-4 conference record and we end up with Dinardo? Does anybody think there is another Coach Hep out there? Anybody out there who has taken a MAC team to the Top 20 and wanst to leave that situation to come to IU? Anybody who wants to sign up for this ridiculous division set-up? Reality is what it is.

Reactions: JCHoosier
We've seen Northwestern dig themselves out of their historical hole.
We've seen Baylor dig themselves out of their historical hole.
We've seen Rutgers dig themselves out of their historical hole.
We are seeing Duke dig themselves out of their historical hole.

It appears we are the last people left at the very bottom of the hill of college football. If they did it, why can't we?

Any recruit is going to reasonably confident that the coach and his staff are going to be around while the kid is in college. When Corso was fired they brought is Sam Wyche - an established coach - and he left after one year. We have 15 scholarships still available. Let's move on.

It appears we are the last people left at the very bottom of the hill of college football. If they did it, why can't we?

The AD blew it with this hire. IU needed a guy with head coaching experience -- someone who knew how to manage an entire staff of coaches, one who knew who to hire, and one that knew the ins and outs of recruiting. Instead, we get an OC with none of the above.

IU doesn't need a home run hire, just someone who knows how to build a program at the collegiate level.

Doesn't Glass always wait until the end of the season to make any kind of move, one way or another? Seems that way as far as my recollection. Can't recall when he did the infamous Crean extension.

I actually think that's a good policy. Wards off hasty, emotional decisions brought on by fan or alum pressure. Waiting until December won't impact recruiting one way or another. But something does need to be done then.

Barring a total, embarrassing collapse, I agree with an extension for a couple years, but with a low buyout. I think he's got it going in the right direction, albeit slower than we'd like. But this is Indiana. KW is growing as a head coach, and bringing the program along with him.

Extend his contract with a low base salary and a bonus for the number of wins. After 2 straight 4th quarter collapses, it might not be a good time to negotiate a contract.

THIS type of reasoning is that of a fan base that just accepts being the patsy for the rest of the Big Ten. Not a winning mentality, sorry.

Reactions: thoops7
Look, going back to the beginning I was not a CKW fan. He had no head coaching experience. He was arrogant. That radio interview was an embarrassment. Losing to North Texas State after hearing all that talk about Oklahoma - ugh. And a number of players left the team including all of his back-up quarterbacks. But that is in the past and it cannot be changed. But now he is an experienced head coach. The players seem to like him. That is important with recruits. He runs a tight ship. No academic scandals. For the most part he was not recruited low-lifes. How many decades have we watched games against Michigan State when it was over after 20 minutes of play? This is young team. It is an improving team. And don't forget - even in the Mallory glory year with a win over Michigan and Ohio State - those teams were not very good.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Extend his contract with a low base salary and a bonus for the number of wins. After 2 straight 4th quarter collapses, it might not be a good time to negotiate a contract.
He's the 13th highest coach in the conference with only Cubit from Illinois behind him as an interim coach. It's already a low base salary.

Its all about setting expectations...if playing tough is the goal by all means extend him. I personally think we withhold judgement until seasons end...if you cant get this team to a bowl it shows a lack of promise that likely wont improve. Having said that if you pay a coach in the bottom few in the conference that should be your expected conference result. In a relative sense wilson isnt getting crap. Iufb cant finish. That takes heart to win, that is a reflection of the coach. Gotta have a killer instinct that cant stomach a loss.

This would be the height of foolishness.

THIS type of reasoning is that of a fan base that just accepts being the patsy for the rest of the Big Ten. Not a winning mentality, sorry.

What's a realistic alternative? Set the program back with a coaching change just to gamble on whoever will settle for $1M per year?

The program is making painfully slow incremental progress. If you're IU FB , you stay on ANY positive trajectory you find yourself on.

It's a realistic mentality unless/until the AD ponies up for a big time coach.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Doesn't Glass always wait until the end of the season to make any kind of move, one way or another? Seems that way as far as my recollection. Can't recall when he did the infamous Crean extension.

I actually think that's a good policy. Wards off hasty, emotional decisions brought on by fan or alum pressure. Waiting until December won't impact recruiting one way or another. But something does need to be done then.

Barring a total, embarrassing collapse, I agree with an extension for a couple years, but with a low buyout. I think he's got it going in the right direction, albeit slower than we'd like. But this is Indiana. KW is growing as a head coach, and bringing the program along with him.

How is he growing? The same inexplicable things keep happening.

So do the losses.

Reactions: MaxCoke

It's just us and Kansas down here

Kansas went to the Orange Bowl in 2008. The freakin Orange Bowl, man. I'd have a coronary if we did that.

What's a realistic alternative? Set the program back with a coaching change just to gamble on whoever will settle for $1M per year?

Set them back from where? They're headed for last place. How do you set that back?

They can damn sure pay much more than $1M per for a head coach. There are many coaches at lower level conferences that have shown the ability to lead a team to wins. We need one of those.

Any recruit is going to reasonably confident that the coach and his staff are going to be around while the kid is in college. When Corso was fired they brought is Sam Wyche - an established coach - and he left after one year. We have 15 scholarships still available. Let's move on.
Wyche left to coach the Bengals. Can't blame IU for that.

The AD blew it with this hire. IU needed a guy with head coaching experience -- someone who knew how to manage an entire staff of coaches, one who knew who to hire, and one that knew the ins and outs of recruiting. Instead, we get an OC with none of the above.

IU doesn't need a home run hire, just someone who knows how to build a program at the collegiate level.
Offense has been able to put points on the board consistently vs most opponents during the Wilson year. Imo we don't need a new head coach we need a dynamic defensive coordinator. Spend the bucks there...

So what do we do? Give up hope? Whine and cry? Set Bloomington on fire? Start a petition? Overturn cars?

Good luck hiring another DC under Wilson. Any assisant with aspirations will see this situation as career suicide.
Career suicide? Just the opposite. A new DC could be the hero/savior of the program. With little to no risk because expectations are already low.I think there's some DC that would love a chance to face the challenges of playing OSU, MI, MSU, etc.

Career suicide? Just the opposite. A new DC could be the hero/savior of the program. With little to no risk because expectations are already low.I think there's some DC that would love a chance to face the challenges of playing OSU, MI, MSU, etc.
But would that coach love the challenge of being on a team where the offense can't come close to winning time of possession, thereby constantly exposing the defense to being on the field 35+ minutes a game. It hasn't been a winning formula.

I'm OK with keeping Wilson for a couple of more years IF he gets rid of Knorr as DC.

After only 2 years?
While the D is still bad I think Knorr should be given one more year to show significant improvement.
Just finishing mid pack in the Big would be significant improvement in my book.

I really think keeping Mallory as long as they did really set the program back at least 1 if not 2 years.

You guys need to fire your coach yesterday. I cannot remember seeing a worse defense in the B1G. Why prolong it? Put together some real cash and go get a good coach. I would love to see it.

Consider this:

Rutgers - a team in turmoil who kicked off most of their secondary, had a coach suspended for 3 games and starting a sophomore QB came in and rewrote the records on Wilson.

Maryland - a team with an interim coach will do the same.

Bill Cubit took over for a coach at Illinois and they could have completely imploded but didn't. He's done a decent job of holding it together.

Then, you have Wilson, who's team looks as bad as the first season shooting themselves in the foot constantly and losing focus at the worst times.

Tell me again how this is getting better?

Reactions: WisslerIII
But would that coach love the challenge of being on a team where the offense can't come close to winning time of possession, thereby constantly exposing the defense to being on the field 35+ minutes a game. It hasn't been a winning formula.
It worked at OU and has worked at OR and can work here. You need depth, tho, to do it which we don't have. We don't have the luxury of shuffling quality players in and out; keeping everyone fresh on the D.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
What an insult to all IU FB fans! You honestly think people are happy losing??? What is wrong with you?? This is the dumbest most pointless flamebaiting comment there is. Where's the so-called Moderator when he is needed?? No where of course...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT