Will Cig win BIG this year?

• Yes. 6 plus bowl for 7 wins. Minimum.

• No. Maybe next year.

• None of the Above.

Results are only viewable after voting.

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
This has been the longest off season in some time. I've been quiet here but been following closely. Very excited for the new season, the new era to begin, and for the Old Man to get us on track and winning big. I love all the bravado, the confidence, the entertaining trash talk from Cig.

But the time for talk is over. Its time to win.

Will it be big and will it be this year?

I think with the favorable schedule and if they can stay relatively injury free at key positions 8 wins is possible.
6 or 7 wins is probably more realistic but you would think one of these years the bad bounces and bad calls would go our way….but probably not.

Yes. Stars align for once:
1. favorable schedule (when’s the last time that happened?)
2. coaches who I THINK can make in-game adjustments
3. an offense-minded coach, rather than an offense that is offensive
4. coaching continuity despite new coaching staff

Still, nothing to go on with this prediction than hype and the little we’ve seen from the position coaches. I’m not comfortable that CCC will win BIG, but I expect much improvement compared to our recent past, and that would be big for me.

I don't know what to expect this season in terms of the W/L record. What I do know is that our first real test will be Week 3 in Pasadena. A struggle in either or both of the first two games would not necessarily be a reason to panic but would provide cause for concern. That's no disrespect to those opponents, particularly FIU, but Cignetti talked a big game in the off-season and he now needs to show it on game day. We need to beat non-Power teams convincingly and play competitively against everyone else.

As everyone knows, Cignetti has never had a losing season as a head coach. I hope we'll still be able to say that in late November. I don't have a clear read, though.

We’ve had a rough few years. Six wins is a very good season imo, regardless of the bowl outcome. That’s pretty big improvement and lays some groundwork for recruiting and the ‘25 season.

If it’s less than that, it’s okay if we show improvement and that we are building something. Just can’t have a flop season that gets us back on the old doom loop.

I’m an optimistic fan, and there is a good case Cig can succeed, but I don’t know what will happen. Our roster looks sort of like prior years, so it’s down to coaching…

I like for IU to win more than 7 games and think if they avoid the injury bug 10 isn't out of the question with the offensive power this team has.

It'll all come down to our OL production and whether our LB's can play (along with our overall tackling improving dramatically from what we saw last Fall)...

Decent OL play, adequate LB play and a dramatic improvement in overall tackling (I'm sick of watching guys go for the big hit, drop their head and either bounce off without wrapping up or wiff entirely and turn a short to medium gain into a big play for the opposition [which is why I don't miss T.A. at all]...)..., if we see all that good to adequate level play we'll be in most games and Win the bulk of them... (in my opinion)...

Reactions: red hornet
I want to see scheming and matchups coordinated with playcalling not only on offense but also D. Neither has happened in recent IUFB history except when 2 HC's now in the state of Alabama were residents of Bloomington. 2 biggest needs I believe are going to be consistently apparent and exercised are in-game adjustments and holding players accountable. This staff is cohesive in the likeness of Cignetti. Never felt the same about Tom Allen and Company.

I'll be happy if I see an OL firing off the line and winning their individual assignments up front. If it isn't too much, I would like to see smart play with focus and without dumb penalties.

It was these basic details that have been missing.

Rose colored glasses here...a 6-6 record and bowl birth. If we do that, I'd almost be willing to say we win our first bowl game in 30+ (yikes) years. Co-worker thinks we'll go 10-2 🤣. Love his optimism!

Staying relatively healthy at key positions and winning the majority of close games we're in are both going to be key.

I feel pretty good about the transfers we've brought in and the plan Cig has. Obviously need to see that on the field now.

I keep going back to the passing attack being very good on paper and that should be able to win some close games for us against average Big Ten defenses.

I would be pleased with a 7-6 season but think it would be closer to a 11-2 season this year. Maybe IU will lay and egg in the first game, but I don't think so.
We won’t lay an egg, except for those expecting perfection, we will win. For those expecting an “easy” win or blowout, that could happen, but it’s also a first game , so a lot of unknowns. As I’ve said all week , it could be tighter than many expect, just win, 1-0……. And no injuries !! 🤞🏻

What is the biggest win on CCC’s resume. I am wondering if he has ever played a team that finished the season in the top 20.

Rose colored glasses here...a 6-6 record and bowl birth. If we do that, I'd almost be willing to say we win our first bowl game in 30+ (yikes) years. Co-worker thinks we'll go 10-2 🤣. Love his optimism!
6-6 probably gives IU a better shot to win a bowl game than if a really good record brings a good bowl game. Last time I was excited about IU football they opened vs Cincinnati. I don't remember all the details but I think we were down 3 scores before I blinked.

I don't know what to expect. They talk the talk but can a bunch of JMU transfers hold their own in the Big Ten?

I still think it's crazy that Allen had so many of Alabama's current coaching staff on his team.

I haven't yet but going to see what win totals I can find to wager on.

Quick glance at fanduel shows 5.5 right now. Since that does not include bowl games, that's up from a couple months ago. Bummer, I was hoping to get it cheap. Was more like 4.5 in June, which is stupid with our schedule. 5.5 still is a bet in my mind.

Guy out of Detroit on the radio touted his SLEEPER PICKS, one of which was Indiana, then said "By sleeper I mean they could win 4 or 5 games, they're going to be better than people think".

Gee thanks, LOL, so you predict FEWER wins than the betting line, and that's your 'sleeper'? lol again... What a tool.

I think we'll win 7 or 8 if I count a bowl. Don't make a bowl I'll be very disappointed. I wanted to put most down on 7 (6.5 without counting bowl) and then about a third of that much on 8. But I don't see a site with anything but one over under.

I never expected the 2020 or 2021 seasons to unfold as they did. No disrespect intended towards CCC, staff and team but I’m not comfortable to make an any kind of a prediction on the season opener.

I would be thrilled with a .500 season.

Last edited:
College Gameday will be in Bloomington on November 9th for a battle of the unbeatens. The Hoosiers will move on to 10-0, but finish 11-3, losing in overtime in both the Big Ten Championship Game and the first round of the CFP. The 1-3 finish to the season will cause Hoosiergradman to start a Fire Cignetti movement.

College Gameday will be in Bloomington on November 9th for a battle of the unbeatens. The Hoosiers will move on to 10-0, but finish 11-3, losing in overtime in both the Big Ten Championship Game and the first round of the CFP. The 1-3 finish to the season will cause Hoosiergradman to start a Fire Cignetti movement.
No chance Michigan is 9-0 headed into that game.

Just hoping for some basic clock and situation management skills on display.

I can handle losing to superior talent. I can’t handle leaving wins on the field due to mismanagement or the inability to do basic math.

In other words, it’s been a rough couple decades!

CCC saw enough of that working for Saban that such moments won’t be too big for him.

CCC saw enough of that working for Saban that such moments won’t be too big for him.

Fortunately for IU, I am sure that CCC wouldn't be thrilled with a .500 season!
All I am saying is that as a head football neither he nor his players have competed on a big stage. In JMU’s last season’s successes I doubt they faced an opponent that had a player with a scholarship offer from a top-caliber program. Now these same JMU players are going to be lining up against top caliber programs.

JMU plays in a mediocre conference and lost a bowl game to a mediocre Air Force team that got steamrolled by Army last season. Yes they were ranked 28th at the end of the season but I doubt the voters give any thought to ranking after the top 10 or 15 programs.

I hope as much as everybody that CCC will be successful in Bloomington. I just don’t see anything in his past that justifies the extreme optimism that Hoosier fans currently have.

I know 6 - 7 wins is not a "win big" type season to a lot of people. But realistically in year 1 here at IU, and after the debacle that was the last 3 years, that would be a big accomplishment. And to be honest, raising the bar to 8 wins is just setting the old man up to fail. That's not right.

That would be a disaster. There is too much talent for that to be an acceptable outcome.
It is what it is. Hopefully next year will be better, but the Big Ten is tough, just got tougher, and Indiana has always struggled even though people here predict success every single August.

I would be pleased with 4-8, though. That’s an improvement.

All I am saying is that as a head football neither he nor his players have competed on a big stage. In JMU’s last season’s successes I doubt they faced an opponent that had a player with a scholarship offer from a top-caliber program. Now these same JMU players are going to be lining up against top caliber programs.

JMU plays in a mediocre conference and lost a bowl game to a mediocre Air Force team that got steamrolled by Army last season. Yes they were ranked 28th at the end of the season but I doubt the voters give any thought to ranking after the top 10 or 15 programs.

I hope as much as everybody that CCC will be successful in Bloomington. I just don’t see anything in his past that justifies the extreme optimism that Hoosier fans currently have.
I see you still choose negative looks like usual. Coach Cignetti didn't coach the bowl game, some players that left were offered by big time programs but chose to stay with coaches from JMU. We will see if they are good enough for the B1G soon.

Here is the pertinent fact. At every opportunity where Cignetti stepped up in class, he successfully stepped up into that class. Twice he's proved his system is recognized as portable. He accurately evaluates talent both for on the field and coaching on the sideline. He's proved over and over he is near expert in ability putting the right pieces into his program and because he continually fights complacency let's you know he's not afraid to make adjustments on the fly changes through good planning. I'll ride a winner with a pedigree such as his without question.

I see you still choose negative looks like usual. Coach Cignetti didn't coach the bowl game, some players that left were offered by big time programs but chose to stay with coaches from JMU. We will see if they are good enough for the B1G soon.
One man’s curmudgeon is another man’s realist. Go Hoosiers! :)

In JMU’s last season’s successes I doubt they faced an opponent that had a player with a scholarship offer from a top-caliber program.
Virginia:
Jimmy Christ (2020) - PSU (originally went here), Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Clemson, Michigan, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Tennessee

Troy:
Chris Lewis (2021) - Kentucky (originally went here), Indiana, Iowa, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Oregon, Tennessee, TAMU

Utah State:
Colby Bowman (2019) - Stanford (originally went here)
Avante Dickerson (2021) - Oregon (originally went here), Georgia, Indiana, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Tennessee, Texas, TAMU, USC
Jaiden Francois (2020) - Nebraska (originally went here), FSU, Georgia, Indiana, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State
Jacob Conover

The above is high school 4* (247 Composite) who saw action in their game against JMU through the Dukes first three FBS games. I only chose playoff caliber teams outside of their original schools and IU. 3* recruited to these schools also had high major offers as well as more 4* that didn't appear in the JMU matchup for one reason or another.

Virginia:
Jimmy Christ (2020) - PSU (originally went here), Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Clemson, Michigan, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Tennessee

Troy:
Chris Lewis (2021) - Kentucky (originally went here), Indiana, Iowa, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Oregon, Tennessee, TAMU

Utah State:
Avante Dickerson (2021) - Oregon (originally went here), Georgia, Indiana, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Tennessee, Texas, TAMU, USC
Jaiden Francois (2020) - Nebraska (originally went here), FSU, Georgia, Indiana, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State
Jacob Conover

The above is high school 4* (247 Composite) who saw action in their game against JMU through the Dukes first three FBS games. I only chose playoff caliber teams outside of their original schools and IU. 3* recruited to these schools also had high major offers as well as more 4* that didn't appear in the JMU matchup for one reason or another.
No doubt for me that JMU would have beaten the brakes off of IU the last 3 seasons.

Virginia:

Troy:

Utah State:
Jacob Conover

I stand corrected. I appreciate your sharing the information.

No doubt for me that JMU would have beaten the brakes off of IU the last 3 seasons.
I'm not convinced it would be "beat the brakes off". Indiana finished higher than Virginia last season in FPI and the Dukes squirmed by them by outscoring UVA 12-0 in the 4th. Hoosiers should have gone 5-7 at worst last season but botched three straight games to finish the season. 2022 was a worse team with a better record and another matchup I believe would be a lot closer than you think. The Iowa start in 2021 was disgusting but the Hoosiers were a targeting call blowing up a competitive game against a top 10 matchup and our Heisman dark horse going down in the 5th game ended any chance at a good season. If we played JMU week 2 I think the Hoosiers would win.

Suffice to say there was a serious coaching problem that caused the disparity between the two teams so I don't blame you for believing Cignetti would be the victor. Though I believe it was hiring decisions more than the coaching decision that led to the downfall of CTA. I have high expectations for these Hoosiers and hope Cigs doesn't disappoint.

This has been the longest off season in some time. I've been quiet here but been following closely. Very excited for the new season, the new era to begin, and for the Old Man to get us on track and winning big. I love all the bravado, the confidence, the entertaining trash talk from Cig.

But the time for talk is over. Its time to win.

Will it be big and will it be this year?
I'd be pleased with the 5,6,7 & 8 win rotation for his first four seasons and hopefully playing for that 9th victory afterwards every season.

Reactions: asr-9
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT