ADVERTISEMENT

Wideouts

812jmac

Recruit
Jan 26, 2022
After reading the latest article on the home page, it really does beg the question: Who DOES end up being THE GUY at wideout this year? Surrat had some killer numbers, but McCulley had SportsCenter Top-10 grabs, and the rest of the room isn't shabby either. I feel like while there may not be an elite-level guy, there's too many options for opponents to key in on just one guy and that could make for a really fun year in the passing game. Thoughts?

After reading the latest article on the home page, it really does beg the question: Who DOES end up being THE GUY at wideout this year? Surrat had some killer numbers, but McCulley had SportsCenter Top-10 grabs, and the rest of the room isn't shabby either. I feel like while there may not be an elite-level guy, there's too many options for opponents to key in on just one guy and that could make for a really fun year in the passing game. Thoughts?
I think Sarratt and Price will be the possession guys while McCulley will be that deep ball/red zone threat. I would guess that Price leads the team in receptions, Sarratt yards, and McCulley touchdowns.

If you are correct, and assuming the QB can read a D and is accurate, that should yield a good offense.

3 guys with complementary skills should make for killer route combos … the new te and rbs catch well too.

Add in Williams from past season and with his ability to take the top off the defense. If he can stay healthy this season, he could really spruce up the receiver room.
I agree that EJ Williams could be a sleeper in the group if he can stay healthy. He showed some spark last year after he got back and was apparently impressive early in the spring. The injury thing is a concern though.

Agreed. If we play our cards right the passing game can be legit.

Last edited:
WR room is deep and I like the RB room as well. Feels like we have a solid 1’ 2’ punch with our offense. Should be able to stay on the field and keep the defense fresh.

Hopefully EJ can stay on the field, doesn’t sound like he’s done great with that during the spring.

WR room is deep and I like the RB room as well. Feels like we have a solid 1’ 2’ punch with our offense. Should be able to stay on the field and keep the defense fresh.

Hopefully EJ can stay on the field, doesn’t sound like he’s done great with that during the spring.
Got to agree totally. Move the chains consistently so D coaches can stay engaged with their charges since they'd be on the sideline long enough to receive targeted coaching. What a difference that will make.

Written after media days

https://247sports.com/college/india...on-group-at-the-big-ten-media-days-234187649/

"Well, we've got to utilize them," (CCC) said about the wide receiver group. "The one good thing is we can absorb an injury or two. But I'm still looking for a couple guys to step up and separate themselves from the rest. That would be a nice thing."
At the end of the 2023 campaign E.J. Williams was starting to flash the ability that made him such a highly regarded high school prospect. The Alabama native has struggled to stay healthy with the Hoosiers, but if he can Cignetti believes he can be an impact player.

"Well, we've got to get him on the field and keep him on the field, that's the biggest thing," Cignetti said about Williams. "The best ability is availability. You got to stay on the field and that's been his biggest nemesis. I think he practiced three times this spring, but I sure liked those three practices. Now, let's keep him on the field so we can utilize him."
Another member of the wideout group that Cignetti is expecting big things from this fall is Donaven McCulley. The Indianapolis native got off to a slow start in the spring, but he finished strong and Cignetti wants him to stay on that upward trajectory.

"I thought he took a step forward towards the end of spring, but he needs to continue to develop play in and play out," he said about McCulley. "I don't want him to be a sometime guy. I want him to be in every down, every play guy that we can count on."

It'll all come down to the Offensive Lines ability to pass block (along with any of the RB's kept into help) and how quickly the QB can locate the open man and get the ball out of his hand... If they do their job I have high hopes that the WR's will do theirs...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT