ADVERTISEMENT

Why would Donovan want to come to IU

200.webp

Because it's Indiana.

But in reality, if he is looking to go back to college coaching, why not IU? Unlike those other schools, we have an opening right now. So if the money is there, seems like IU would be a great place to coach.
Money isn't a factor when the money is already there in the pocket. It's more about the headaches and heartaches of recruiting fickle high school kids with doting parents and outside agents.

Was just watching PTI and they had Jay Williams on there. Both he and Kornhieser said that Donavan should go to Indiana and that he was leaving the door open to do so. They talked about the salary and said that he would make probably 7 or 8 mil per. That would be a good raise if IU is willing and I think they probably are. He would have a lot more player control. We will see I guess. Hope they can make it happen.

Money isn't a factor when the money is already there in the pocket. It's more about the headaches and heartaches of recruiting fickle high school kids with doting parents and outside agents.

Balance that with control and job security though

If you ask people not like us with Indiana ties, their answer probably will be different from yours and mine. Some people say the same thing about IU. It is in LA, under the spotlights. It owns the State of California pretty much. They just renovated the Pavilion I thought. Sure, the pressure to win is very high there. They run Howard out of town who took them to the Final 4.

One reason Donovan would go to IU before UCLA is because IU would pay more.UCLA is notoriously cheap.While Billy has no direct IU connections he is familiar with the midwest,at least from a recruiting standpoint.He coached at Marshall and was an assistant at pUKe...

Job security? Since when does a basketball coach ever have job security unless you coach at Purdue? Control? Ask Tom Crean about control the night O.G. went down.

You don't think college coaches have more job security than NBA coaches?

You don't college coaches have more control of their programs?

No one can control injuries

We're going to find out shortly how the IU job is perceived in the coaching community.
That's not true. It's rare that a school has their dream guy lined up. Urban to OSU situations don't happen often. OSU fball has been an elite job but when they hired Tressel, he was reportedly their ninth choice

They started out big, with the Grudens and the Stoops of the world, went down to Belotti and Willingham before hiring the guy that led them to the title in 2yrs

Schools get turned down for all kinds if reasons, it's not necessarily an indictment of the program

BD wouldn't have to recruit much. Would be similar to Cal and K. Just target a few guys and recruit those few targets. Would get about anyone I would guess

Reactions: hondo314
For Money $$$$$$
BD is one of the,if not THE most successful coach of the 2000's.
And Iu has money
Cant be any more simple,people are over thinking it

Is Glass going to pay $8mil a year?that's what it will take
Why wouldn't they?
If you've watched Glass's comments on the new hire. He makes it pretty clear Iu wont get their guy BC of money issues.
Also,seriously? 8 mill is where you start.
Look around at other coaches salaries of the same caliber... Not even a question

Youre missing the point. I don't follow NBA much anymore, but I've heard from other posters okc might not really care if BD leaves. Their whole team is falling a part, etc,etc
You've heard that from other posters? Wow! What you haven't heard is anyone from the OKC organization express anything but full support and confidence in Donovan, just as he's never expressed any interest in returning to college.

Why wouldn't they?
If you've watched Glass's comments on the new hire. He makes it pretty clear Iu wont get their guy BC of money issues.
Also,seriously? 8 mill is where you start.
Look around at other coaches salaries of the same caliber... Not even a question
I would think IU is close to UK and Duke..Cal and K make $8+mil a year..It will take that or more to get Donovan even if he's interested..Marshall id say he would come for around 5mil a year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT