ADVERTISEMENT

Why would Donovan want to come to IU

all4IU

All-American
Sep 6, 2001
if there is a chance that UCLA job opens up soon? He has no ties to IU. There's no difference btw IU, UCLA or any other elite programs. He might like UK in a certain way but certainly not enough to leave Florida last two times when they had an opening. He could get any college job he wants. Which one would be in a better situation, IU, UCLA or even UK later if Cal decides to go somewhere? IU needs a complete remake. He probably would not be a contender in a couple of years if he came here. UCLA? Probably not as much. I hope I am wrong but I just don't think he is coming to IU.

Because it's Indiana.

But in reality, if he is looking to go back to college coaching, why not IU? Unlike those other schools, we have an opening right now. So if the money is there, seems like IU would be a great place to coach.

You are correct, UCLA could be open soon. So could UNC, Duke, Louisville, MSU and a few other high profile jobs. But who knows for sure when. What if Westbrook leaves this off season, OKC goes on a losing streak to start the season and Donovan gets fired. Then, none of those jobs open up next year or the year after? IF he wants to get back to college and 1 of the top jobs is open now, he would be a fool not to take it. Especially if he is waiting for a job with more immediate upside.

Reactions: ClayCoGuy
if there is a chance that UCLA job opens up soon? He has no ties to IU. There's no difference btw IU, UCLA or any other elite programs. He might like UK in a certain way but certainly not enough to leave Florida last two times when they had an opening. He could get any college job he wants. Which one would be in a better situation, IU, UCLA or even UK later if Cal decides to go somewhere? IU needs a complete remake. He probably would not be a contender in a couple of years if he came here. UCLA? Probably not as much. I hope I am wrong but I just don't think he is coming to IU.

The roster we have would be just fine with the right coaching. We did beat Kansas and UNC earlier this year...deoending on who stays, whoever walks into this job may not have the massive rebuild you are thinking.

If he misses college basketball (I have no idea if this is the case) IU is an attractive place for him to land. There is a history of good recruits and (sorry Purdue) it is the most populat state school that can have a tremendous following and gain back fans that have gone quiet. He coached at a football school in a largely football conference. He can coach at a basketball school in a basketball state.

If he comes, IU will have an elite caliber coach and have everything Duke, UNC, and UK has to be successful. Banner #6 could be a reality. That was a priority for Glass. It would be the best hire we could make. MAKE IT HAPPEN FRED!

The roster we have would be just fine with the right coaching. We did beat Kansas and UNC earlier this year...deoending on who stays, whoever walks into this job may not have the massive rebuild you are thinking.
We might lose JBJ, OG, and Rojo. I believe Green can be a good player under a good coach. CuJo has a lot of potential and Davis is the best post player on the current roster. Add Morgan and Bryant (if he returns), and I would give a coach like BD a good chance to do something with it. Maybe even Newkirk would improve under a good program. He had good games.

If he misses college basketball (I have no idea if this is the case) IU is an attractive place for him to land. There is a history of good recruits and (sorry Purdue) it is the most populat state school that can have a tremendous following and gain back fans that have gone quiet. He coached at a football school in a largely football conference. He can coach at a basketball school in a basketball state.

If he comes, IU will have an elite caliber coach and have everything Duke, UNC, and UK has to be successful. Banner #6 could be a reality. That was a priority for Glass. It would be the best hire we could make. MAKE IT HAPPEN FRED!
But there's no evidence anywhere indicating he wants to come back to the college game, and it was well known that he's tired of it when he briefly accepted the Orlando job before returning to UF and then bolting for OKC. Everyone assumes he wants to take a pay cut and go back to school, but there's nothing that supports that notion.

Reactions: Deli owl
Timing is an issue as it would be a bad look to quit Oklahoma City before end of season and we cant wait til May to hire him and no way Okl City allows him to do both knowing he's leaving. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think most if not all NBA coaches that moved back down to college ranks were unemployed or fired already from their NBA jobs. I think the only exception was Pitino going to Kentucky.

But there's no evidence anywhere indicating he wants to come back to the college game, and it was well known that he's tired of it when he briefly accepted the Orlando job before returning to UF and then bolting for OKC. Everyone assumes he wants to take a pay cut and go back to school, but there's nothing that supports that notion.
There wouldnt be a pay cut involved I can assure you of that.

Some school will pay him plenty. IU is probably not the one with that kind of deep pocket. I would say Stevens would even be more likely than Donovan to come to IU from the NBA because of his tie with the State of Indiana. Donovan has the upper hand. He could choose any school if he wants to come back. It is just a job and opportunity for him. IU is no different. As of now, there is no chance he is coming.

However, things can sure change quickly if Alford and IU do not work out.

You're right, why? IU has to be, like, the worst job available...ever. Just a crap program with crap facilities, crappy following, crappy recruiting area, and we can't pay crap...

Can't imagine why any coach with a functioning brain would come to IU. o_O

Reactions: russelltodd

he can recruit and still mostly sleep in his own bed each night. he can have that at UCLA for the most part but maybe he wants fans in the stands. all things could be equal as far as rosters go after a coach leaves. all those UCLA kids did sign up to play for Alford; no guarantees they would stay either.

Some school will pay him plenty. IU is probably not the one with that kind of deep pocket. I would say Stevens would even be more likely than Donovan to come to IU from the NBA because of his tie with the State of Indiana. Donovan has the upper hand. He could choose any school if he wants to come back. It is just a job and opportunity for him. IU is no different. As of now, there is no chance he is coming.

However, things can sure change quickly if Alford and IU do not work out.
Agree. Donovan actively sought to exit the college game for the NBA a few years ago and hasn't shown even the slightest hint that he's unhappy with that decision or is dissatisfied with the pro game. I'm sure someone can always pay him more but he, like most, want a job that actually suits their personal objectives. Donovan seems to have that now, and there's nothing to suggest a change in direction that would land him at IU.

Despite UCLA's history and all that, I get the distinct sense that people there just aren't that into their basketball program anymore. Last I looked, their average attendance was still below 10k this season -- even with them being a Top 10 team. Last season, they only averaged around 8k. Pauley Pavilion seats nearly 14k.

That said, I don't think Donovan is coming to IU, either. I never have. I'd be surprised if it ends up being anybody other than Alford.

I agree with you IUCrazy2...We have the horses we just didn't a coach who knew how to work them. Also, of all the 4-5 stars there we're in Indiana, Crean could not get any of them from what I have heard...Anyone wonder why????

Despite UCLA's history and all that, I get the distinct sense that people there just aren't that into their basketball program anymore. Last I looked, their average attendance was still below 10k this season -- even with them being a Top 10 team. Last season, they only averaged around 8k. Pauley Pavilion seats nearly 14k.

That said, I don't think Donovan is coming to IU, either. I never have. I'd be surprised if it ends up being anybody other than Alford.

If you ask people not like us with Indiana ties, their answer probably will be different from yours and mine. Some people say the same thing about IU. It is in LA, under the spotlights. It owns the State of California pretty much. They just renovated the Pavilion I thought. Sure, the pressure to win is very high there. They run Howard out of town who took them to the Final 4.

Top 10 team, outside of the top 50 in attendance is the reality of that program, regardless of who the coach is.

Call me ignorant on the issue. But where does it say that he would be taking a pay cut if he comes to IU? I know that IU opened its wallet when they hired Crean. I believe if Donovan is a serious contender then IU would know that they have to pay more then the OKC.

Reactions: russelltodd
Call me ignorant on the issue. But where does it say that he would be taking a pay cut if he comes to IU? I know that IU opened its wallet when they hired Crean. I believe if Donovan is a serious contender then IU would know that they have to pay more then the OKC.

It doesn't.

Why would anyone believe IU would be willing to pay a coach $7 million guaranteed for a minimum of 5 years, and likely longer?

Why would anyone believe IU would be willing to pay a coach $7 million guaranteed for a minimum of 5 years, and likely longer?
Because this is desperate times to get the right coach. And I think opening your wallet to an unproven coach like Crean shows that IU is willing to pay top salary for one of the best coaches.

yup, but probably more job security at IU. heck, you can make great money at IU for a decade while making the tourney sporadically.

Reactions: jaypay23

He wouldn't come, so don't worry about it. Not going to happen.

So Donovan says he'll come for 6 years / $60 million, guaranteed. Is Glass all in?

Wouldn't surprise me, that's how absurd Glass's comments were the other day and how much he reeked of desperation. Can you imagine if we have to pay that much to get a coach, that would put to rest once and for all that we are elite. It would also signal to everyone how much it costs to put up with our fans, our expectations, etc. Unheard of money, because of the delusional expectations that exist.

To even have a shot at Donovan IU will have to pay the going rate for top CBB coaches..Cal and K ..I saw J Williams on ESPN say cal got a 2 year extension for right at 8mil a year...Would have to pay Donovan that much too..maybe 8 year $60mil. not going get him for 5-6mil a year..

hoosiers-o.gif

IU is a better job than UCLA ..The fans make it better..If you don't have a top 10 team at UCLA the seats are empty.

You're right, why? IU has to be, like, the worst job available...ever. Just a crap program with crap facilities, crappy following, crappy recruiting area, and we can't pay crap...

Can't imagine why any coach with a functioning brain would come to IU. o_O

We're going to find out shortly how the IU job is perceived in the coaching community.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT