ADVERTISEMENT

Why is "Edey is just tall" such a controversial take?

Again, who in the f*** is actually dissing Edey? He's more than deserving of NPOY accolades. But to try and say his biggest attribute by far and away isn't anything but his size is flat out lunacy.
A player still has to have skill to shoot from even 5 feet away especially with other players often pushing or holding or hanging all over him. There have been many collegiate bigs who could not shoot even 50% from 5 feet away.

What does that have to do with anything? Edey is a good basketball player, I literally said that in my intro. But the fact remains that his size is by far and away his greatest skill set. I don’t understand why that’s such a controversial take.
It’s kind of like saying Jordan was only a great athlete. He was a tremendous athlete but add extreme competitor and the fact that he built his skillset to maximize his god-given athleticism and you have one of the best of all time.

No that's not the definition of skill in the context of basketball.

Is this the first season you watched the sport or something?
I replied to you directly so you don’t get all hot and bothered - if you don’t think Edey has any basketball skills you are a complete moron

Post position, shooting over multiple defenders, free throws, assists - that work?
Nope. Post position is a location not a skill. Shooting is a skill - good job. Assists are a stat. Passing is the skill that gets credited as assists. Free throws are also a stat, and the skill that drives them is called shooting and we've already noted that.

Anything else you need to know.... just ask.

This has to be the dumbest thread ever - you guys can’t believe Edey isn’t skilled? if you do please stop watching basketball. It will save you so much pain next season

It’s kind of like saying Jordan was only a great athlete. He was a tremendous athlete but add extreme competitor and the fact that he built his skillset to maximize his god-given athleticism and you have one of the best of all time.
Well Jordan wasn't just a great athlete so that's an absurdly dumb comparison to try and equate him to Zach Edey. Zach Edey is a dominant college big man without a basketball skillset that translates to the next level.

He is only good because he's big, 7'4 to be exact. He'd be playing at UIndy or Ball State at 6'9 with his current skill set. He can't dribble or shoot.
How many players currently in the NBA would be there if they were only average athletes. That’s the flaw with this type logic. I don’t personally view athleticism as a skillset, but almost required to play in the league.

This has to be the dumbest thread ever - you guys can’t believe Edey isn’t skilled? if you do please stop watching basketball. It will save you so much pain next season
I'm still waiting on you to cite an actual basketball skill that Zach Edey possesses?

-Dribbling? No
-Shooting? No
-Passing? No

Definition of skilled: having or showing the knowledge, ability, or training to perform a certain activity or task well.

Well Jordan wasn't just a great athlete so that's an absurdly dumb comparison to try and equate him to Zach Edey. Zach Edey is a dominant college big man without a basketball skillset that translates to the next level.
I did mention his competitive nature, which along with his athleticism were his greatest attributes imo. I don’t think anyone would have called him a great shooter. I would agree that Edey’s skillset does not translate well to the current NBA, but that hardly matters while he is in college.

How many players currently in the NBA would be there if they were only average athletes. That’s the flaw with this type logic. I don’t personally view athleticism as a skillset, but almost required to play in the league.
Look at every 7+ footer in the NBA today. They are there because they actually possess some semblance of a basketball skill(s). Jokic can dribble, shoot, pass. So can Embiid. So can Holmgren. So can Wemanyana. You're not playing in the NBA today unless you possess an elite skill. And if you don't you better be a world class athlete. Neither describes Edey.

I did mention his competitive nature, which along with his athleticism were his greatest attributes imo. I don’t think anyone would have called him a great shooter. I would agree that Edey’s skillset does not translate well to the current NBA, but that hardly matters while he is in college.
He's good in college because of his dominant size compared to his peers, not because he's some highly skilled basketball player. He can compete at the college level because defensive 3 seconds doesn't exist and he's allowed to play a one man zone under the rim against guys who are 10x less skilled than NBA counterparts.

Skill: having or showing the knowledge, ability, or training to perform a certain activity or task well.
I know what a skill is. I'm asking what specific basketball skill he possesses, not whether or not he has mastered the skill of walking or talking or tying his shoe.

I know what a skill is. I'm asking what specific basketball skill he possesses, not whether or not he has mastered the skill of walking or talking or tying his shoe.
His skill is he puts the ball in the basket probably better than almost every other college player. It’s really that simple. Scoring is a skill. I don’t care if you’re a three point shooter, a mid range shooter or a down low shooter. Scoring the basketball is the skill

Comparing Edey to Jordan?? Really?

This was a fair, balanced, objective thread that this dumbass with the stupid looking dog doesn't have the EQ to handle.

@Cavanagh either take this clown to the curb or shut it down. He is clearly daring you.

JFC

I'm a Purdue guy and I don't think Edey is that skilled. But I appreciate how he has worked to achieve what he has. He does have a skillset that did not come naturally. And that skillset is more than just being big. Is he NBA good? Probably not. But this is college right? It's a different game. And that's why I love college sports and not so much professional. But I do have to take exception with the "he gets all the calls" debate. Okay, yes, there are a small percentage of times he may get away with a foul - but the objective truth is he gets overwhelmingly pummeled by defenders. I also think he's been coached well, and has executed smartly, how to stay out of foul trouble.

His low post offense is literally nothing more than catching the ball 5 feet from the basket and turning with either his left or right foot and laying the ball up with the other hand, over guys yielding anywhere from 4-8 inches.
By your logic everyone Edey’s size can do what he does.

I'm a Purdue guy and I don't think Edey is that skilled. But I appreciate how he has worked to achieve what he has. He does have a skillset that did not come naturally. And that skillset is more than just being big. Is he NBA good? Probably not. But this is college right? It's a different game. And that's why I love college sports and not so much professional. But I do have to take exception with the "he gets all the calls" debate. Okay, yes, there are a small percentage of times he may get away with a foul - but the objective truth is he gets overwhelmingly pummeled by defenders. I also think he's been coached well, and has executed smartly, how to stay out of foul trouble.
I would agree to that. He’s worked his ass off to get into a level of shape that allows to play 30 minutes a game. But then again, I wouldn’t categorize that as a basketball skill.

Let's face it - there's a DNA component that is going to determine how effective you are. How high you can jump, how fast you can run, etc. Size is a part of that as well. TJD was long, quick and could jump which was largely why he was so good. Not to mention world class footwork. But not sure I ever saw him shoot outside of 7 feet and I'm not sure he was even a very good shooter (haven't watched him even a minute in the NBA, so maybe he has developed that). I don't recall him being a particularly good foul shooter.

And no - this isn't a bash TJD post. I enjoyed watching him play and thought he represented himself and his university exceedingly well.

Let's face it - there's a DNA component that is going to determine how effective you are. How high you can jump, how fast you can run, etc. Size is a part of that as well. TJD was long, quick and could jump which was largely why he was so good. Not to mention world class footwork. But not sure I ever saw him shoot outside of 7 feet and I'm not sure he was even a very good shooter (haven't watched him even a minute in the NBA, so maybe he has developed that). I don't recall him being a particularly good foul shooter.

And no - this isn't a bash TJD post. I enjoyed watching him play and thought he represented himself and his university exceedingly well.
He wasn’t nor isn’t to this day a good shooter. But he’s an elite rim protector who can guard out to the perimeter and can rim run and dive to the rim offensively. It’s a niche in his game the Warriors identified and a role he plays extremely well as an 8th/9th man. And he’ll likely never be more than that.

Not at all my logic. He doesn’t have a sophisticated low post game ie an array of moves, shot variety, etc.

He has one move…a drop step hook
Even narrowing it down to a specific move is still a basketball skill, and he is one of the GOATs at that skill. If you want to criticize his game just say that he is extremely limited.

Not at all my logic. He doesn’t have a sophisticated low post game ie an array of moves, shot variety, etc.

He has one move…a drop step hook
Your the official "WALMART RED LIGHT SPECIAL" Basketball is real easy for the internet genius! Painter was dead on right about you! Sounds like IU is going for the Belmont special???? Good luck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT