ADVERTISEMENT

Why aren’t the Colts going after Lamar?

ce36ei

Senior
Sep 14, 2019
You’re already going to burn a draft pick for a QB, so you’re only giving up 1 first round pick for him. I don’t get it. He would be by far the best option under center and with the salary cap rising year by year, I don’t see a drawback.

You’re already going to burn a draft pick for a QB, so you’re only giving up 1 first round pick for him. I don’t get it. He would be by far the best option under center and with the salary cap rising year by year, I don’t see a drawback.
Why is there skepticism about Jackson? Here's a hint:
new-breathable-achilles-tendon-boots-fixed-ankle-brace-after-leg-fracture-achilles-tendon-rupture-ober-foot-brace-ober-braces-899923.jpg

BAL was so inept on offense, he had to run a ton. Not the case in Indy. He wouldn’t be as apt for Injury.

Too expensive maybe. There is a major difference between paying Lamar and paying a qb on a rookie contract.

Plus, we still have Matt Ryan on the books even if it turns into dead cap space by cutting him.

Just spit balling.

He's not a pocket QB and you'd have to build a new offense around him. He wants a huge guaranteed contract, despite being injured and missing multiple games each of the last 3 years. Nobody else wants him for a reason.

Reactions: larsIU and All4You
He instantly makes Indy a playoff team. The Colts are going to get the 3rd QB on the board. To me, it’s a no-brainer.

Now that someone other than the Colts traded into the Bears number one spot, it looks like Young and Stroud are off the board 1 and 2, leaving two high upside but unproven guys in Levis and Richardson at the 4th pick. It does make signing Lamar Jackson to an offer sheet more tantalizing, but can he stay healthy? Could the Colts trade down and take a late 1st early 2nd round chance on a guy like Hendon Hooker out of UT?

Wouldn't it be great though to sign Jackson and have him come here and win a few Superbowls, so we can rip that scab off the "you stole our team" wound and leave them pissed off for another 3 decades?

• Love
Reactions: Brockway and larsIU
The 2 guys they’re going to get are wildcards. We have no veteran QB to sit behind. Ballard is on a short leash. It’s a no-brainer!

Football is a team game. Lamar is part of a team . . . but if it takes your entire (salary cap) budget to sign him, plus picks that would stock the rest of the team, it's fools gold.

Why would you do that when you've already mortgaged your future with Matt Ryan's contract? Dallas has worked for decades to undo the damage from trading all those picks in the Herschel Walker trade. Atlanta is just now getting out from underneath the trade of draft picks to draft Julio Jones. The Rams are destined for ignominy for a good while because of their trades to get NFL veterans. Don't get me started on George Allen . . . .

Lamar is the Kyrie Irving of the NFL. Loads of talent. Massive ego. And a body that can and does get hurt too often. Indy would have to have a different - lesser - QB anyway.

That said, I don't get trading your future away to get a QB, unless you already have the rest of the team in place - offense and defense - and have a few years to compete for a Superbowl and can ride out mortgaging the future. Does Indy have that in place?

Football is a team game. Lamar is part of a team . . . but if it takes your entire (salary cap) budget to sign him, plus picks that would stock the rest of the team, it's fools gold.

Why would you do that when you've already mortgaged your future with Matt Ryan's contract? Dallas has worked for decades to undo the damage from trading all those picks in the Herschel Walker trade. Atlanta is just now getting out from underneath the trade of draft picks to draft Julio Jones. The Rams are destined for ignominy for a good while because of their trades to get NFL veterans. Don't get me started on George Allen . . . .

Lamar is the Kyrie Irving of the NFL. Loads of talent. Massive ego. And a body that can and does get hurt too often. Indy would have to have a different - lesser - QB anyway.

That said, I don't get trading your future away to get a QB, unless you already have the rest of the team in place - offense and defense - and have a few years to compete for a Superbowl and can ride out mortgaging the future. Does Indy have that in place?
Other than general manager, offensive line, pass rush, playmaking #1 receiver, QB, and defensive secondary - they are all set for a super bowl run.

• Haha
Reactions: Sope Creek
Matt Ryan made the Oline look awful. I’m not worried about it.

Hard to have a pass rush when the other team is playing ahead and running the ball.

They’re not as bad as they seem. But with one of the rookies they’re going to get they’re probably 3 years away, and at that point your key guys now are going to age out. If Ballard is hell bent on a rookie they should just go full blown rebuild and get as many picks as possible.

The same reason no other franchise is pursuing him.

BAL was so inept on offense, he had to run a ton. Not the case in Indy. He wouldn’t be as apt for Injury.
The Colts were 27th in the NFL last season in total offense.

Why would he not be tempted to keep running a lot to help an below-average offense?

The Colts were 27th in the NFL last season in total offense.

Why would he not be tempted to keep running a lot to help a below-average offense?
The threat of Lamar running will open up JT again. He only has a couple more good years left and we’re going to waste them on a rookie QB.

Matt Ryan was horrendous. Wentz was an all-pro compared to him.

You do realize that Dallas WON the Herschel trade and got the picks? However your point is still relevant

Reactions: BaxterIU
You do realize that Dallas WON the Herschel trade and got the picks? However your point is still relevant
You're right, of course. I come hat in hand asking for forgiveness for not verifying the post before making it. :(

My bad.

Thank you for acknowledging the point. That was the point of the post. 🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT