ADVERTISEMENT

Whoa. This has to mean something, right?

Interesting post. It would seem to align with what Coyle was saying the other day that it could be a two horse race between Auburn and us. In one of the photos he’s holding an Auburn football while wearing our shirt.

Edit: also just noticed the song on his post. The first line is Broken Pinky Promises.

The conspiracy theorists in me says this post is code for: decommitting from USC hence the song. Down to two choices IU vs Auburn based on Shirt and Football in photo.

Last edited:
Interesting post. It would seem to align with what Coyle was saying the other day that it could be a two horse race between Auburn and us. In one of the photos he’s holding an Auburn football while wearing our shirt.

Edit: also just noticed the song on his post. The first line is Broken Pinky Promises.

The conspiracy theorists in me says this post is code for: decommitting from USC hence the song. Down to two choices IU vs Auburn based on Shirt and Football in photo.
He is wearing a Colorado jock strap

Agree I think that's exactly what he's indicating with this post. You say the conspiracy theorist in you like it would be a surprise, you know these 18 year old kids prematurely commit than go on to decommit every year and based on everything that's come out about Lewis's recruitment recently, it seems almost definite that he will not stay committed to USC. IMO USC is essentially just his placeholder until he decides to publicly announce where he's truly going to go at some point in the late summer/fall.

It will be a good thing if the other QBs don't like they can get in the portal instead of competing. We will love having him at IU.

Reactions: red hornet
Agree I think that's exactly what he's indicating with this post. You say the conspiracy theorist in you like it would be a surprise, you know these 18 year old kids prematurely commit than go on to decommit every year and based on everything that's come out about Lewis's recruitment recently, it seems almost definite that he will not stay committed to USC. IMO USC is essentially just his placeholder until he decides to publicly announce where he's truly going to go at some point in the late summer/fall.
Oh, I am pretty certain he is decommitting from USC. I honestly don't count on any commitment these days until they actually sign. I feel like a lot of these guy's are committing to one team to try and drive up their NIL asking price with other teams, especially those who committed and then continue to take visits to other schools. Its more a matter of who is in contention for him.

I'll be interested in seeing if he does come back for the Maryland game. I was just commenting more on the imagery in the pictures and the choice of music. May mean nothing, may mean a lot. Who knows what's in the head of a teenager. I stopped trying with my two kids.

I'll keep saying it... Using the word "committed" with recruits is a complete misnomer and I refuse to use it until I hear there's a signature.

I keep going back to the eggs and bacon breakfast and Lewis's post say's it all...

He is clearly,,, "involved" ... with more than one school...

Hopefully he'll up his "involvement" with IU and "commit"....

Rant off....

I'll keep saying it... Using the word "committed" with recruits is a complete misnomer and I refuse to use it until I hear there's a signature.

I keep going back to the eggs and bacon breakfast and Lewis's post say's it all...

Rant off....
Yea. Even if he commits to IU, it's far from over, as a lot of other schools will keep recruiting him and revising their comp packages. But, I'll still take the "commitment."

Oh, I am pretty certain he is decommitting from USC. I honestly don't count on any commitment these days until they actually sign. I feel like a lot of these guy's are committing to one team to try and drive up their NIL asking price with other teams, especially those who committed and then continue to take visits to other schools. Its more a matter of who is in contention for him.

I'll be interested in seeing if he does come back for the Maryland game. I was just commenting more on the imagery in the pictures and the choice of music. May mean nothing, may mean a lot. Who knows what's in the head of a teenager. I stopped trying with my two kids.
I agree. NIL is new enough that nuances/angles/twists will be showing up.
Tax consequences, investment gaffes, players using one school against another, etc.
Questions; when you sign with a school’s NIL deal is it for one year? Can you sign for more years if offered? Can you be fired for under performance or off field issues?

I know some NIL deals are two years. Makes sense if you’re not a one and done.

NIL cannot be tied to playing or anything done on the field.

I imagine if a player misses agreed to appearances that could be non-performance that leads to termination. Same for issues with the law.

Armando Bacot said he made several million in NIL $$$ while at North Carolina playing basketball. I'm sure the number one high school football prospect will command something similar.

I don't care for this new era, it's professional sports.

Rant off....
Are you committed to this post?

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Not being sarcastic I just read about it.

“Furthermore, as has always been the case since the inception of NIL, NIL deals must be independent and not tied to enrollment, performance, or team membership.”

Summary Example Link

That seems a contradiction to the whole idea of NIL.
They are independent deals and who is monitoring ANYTHING now days.
If I want to pay QB X five million dollars to do an ad for my company, who is to say that I can't tell him that if he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid?

Last edited:
That seems a contradiction to the whole idea of NIL.
They are independent deals and who is monitoring ANYTHING now days.
If I want to pay QB X five million dollars to do an add for my company, who is to say that I can't tell him that if he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid?
Players have agents and/or lawyers that review NIL contracts. Agents/lawyers will call out any on field performance requirements that violate the rules, plus they don't want their clients being subject to such restrictions, some of which are likely out of the player's control. They'll also probably notify the NCAA and IU. This approach probably wouldn't help the team sign a player.

The big collectives that pay out most of the NIL follow the rules.

I guess you could go old school and pay cash under the table for performance -- if the player agreed I doubt you document that in a contract.

Players have agents and/or lawyers that review NIL contracts. Agents/lawyers will call out any on field performance requirements that violate the rules, plus they don't want their clients being subject to such restrictions, some of which are likely out of the player's control. They'll also probably notify the NCAA and IU. This approach probably wouldn't help the team sign a player.

The big collectives that pay out most of the NIL follow the rules.

I guess you could go old school and pay cash under the table for performance -- if the player agreed I doubt you document that in a contract.

I totally agree that no agent worth his salt would allow an NIL deal based on playing BUT is there any rule against it?
The NCAA has been gutted by the courts and to my knowledge the courts didn't put any restrictions on NIL deals.
Since NIL is totally separate from the NCAA, how can they do anything about it?
It isn't like the old days when fans were boosters and had to abide by the NCAA's rules.
I believe the days of the NCAA are numbered.

I totally agree that no agent worth his salt would allow an NIL deal based on playing BUT is there any rule against it?
The NCAA has been gutted by the courts and to my knowledge the courts didn't put any restrictions on NIL deals.
Since NIL is totally separate from the NCAA, how can they do anything about it?
It isn't like the old days when fans were boosters and had to abide by the NCAA's rules.
I believe the days of the NCAA are numbered.
There is a rule against it, you can look it up and I linked it. I don’t know how it’s enforced. I’d guess players and agents telling the school (who agreed to NCAA rules) or leaking to press is the primary deterrent — both of those actions would hurt the booster. Maybe someone else knows.

Reactions: red hornet
In a nut shell, NIL is the wild-wild West! The top shelf players/all-conference performers, will leave college as millionaires because of NIL....

Maybe he is trying to help us in his own way. But according to the Georgia NIL news site USC has ponied up a nice sum of money. It would be fantastic to get him but definitely not holding my breath.

Well, he's now deleted the last X post so who knows what the intent was. Reading different comments its interesting how people take the original post. I thought it could be a de-commitment from USC and its between IU and Auburn. I saw someone else suggest the lyrics to the song were more a message to both IU and Auburn that we aren't the ones for him which would mean staying put at USC.

Colorado fans seem to be the most delusional in why its them. I sort of feel why would you go to Colorado and the Big 12 when the Big 10 and the SEC are clearly the two premier conferences. Then there is the comment that one of the ratings sites dropped him to a 4 star which some could take to mean its IU because they wouldn't drop him down a star if he was staying at USC or going to Auburn but that is why a lot of the Colorado fans think its them.

This is definitely a grab your Popcorn and sit back and watch type of situation. I'd be happy if we get him but I'm also fine with what we have and seeing how this staff is getting players with very impressive offer lists (SEC and Big 10) instead of MAC level has to have people feeling good about the direction this team is heading. Now just need to execute it on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT