ADVERTISEMENT

Who is going to play PG next season if JHS goes pro?

RickyRoe

Sophomore
Nov 12, 2008
It's going to have to be a transfer, right? X will be gone, Cupps isn't going to be able to handle the job as a freshman, and we aren't expected to sign someone who could come in right away and start. Gunn, Bates, Leal, Newton, and even Galloway could all bring the ball up in a pinch, but they aren't point guards. What's the plan? Any chance we make a late push for a guy like Collier or even Wagner with the promise of getting to run what should still be a good team next season? Or is Coach just going to sign the best transfer they can find?

It's going to have to be a transfer, right? X will be gone, Cupps isn't going to be able to handle the job as a freshman, and we aren't expected to sign someone who could come in right away and start. Gunn, Bates, Leal, Newton, and even Galloway could all bring the ball up in a pinch, but they aren't point guards. What's the plan? Any chance we make a late push for a guy like Collier or even Wagner with the promise of getting to run what should still be a good team next season? Or is Coach just going to sign the best transfer they can find?
Transfer.

Two good guards are coming in with Bates and Galloway back. And we don t know yet if Fino is ready defensively for the NBA. He may need a second year.

Two good guards are coming in with Bates and Galloway back. And we don t know yet if Fino is ready defensively for the NBA. He may need a second year.
He was rated the best on ball defender in the entire freshmen class in something I read. Everyone said the 3 point shot is what well make him stay. If that dude shoots like he did a few days ago, he gone.

NBA point guard is not a term to throw around whimsically.

I like what he is doing, but if he is going pro after one season he needs to be top 12 PG in the nation this season.

Reactions: IUgradman

I like what he is doing, but if he is going pro after one season he needs to be top 12 PG in the nation this season.
The NBA drafts on potential.

Reactions: RickyRoe

He’s a “basketball player” he’ll easily get drafted and probably a lottery pick if he has a great year.

My prediction is JHS and Malik are here two years. Both Drafted top 10

IU has best two run period since early 90s

as freshman elite 8
As sophomores Ncaa champs
Big champs Xs 2 regular and tournament

I’m also winning the power ball tonight

as freshman elite 8

Not sure about Malik. He's only 6'9" on a good day and has all the NBA concerns that TJD has; mainly his shooting. I like him as at least a 3 year player, especially considering he won't get that many minutes this season because he will be stuck behind TJD, Race, and Geronimo. That's why I was so excited when he signed - because he has the chance to be a great college player who doesn't go pro right away, especially with the NIL.

JHS on the other hand will be able to show off his potential. I think he will stay a second season because he will be given the reins of the team in year 2 and can go from maybe sneaking into the 1st to being a lottery pick, so the OP was strictly hypothetical.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
pose this concern at the end of the season... no reason to fret
this is my thought. Looked promising, but we've not even seen anyone in a game that counts for real this year! But let's not forget we got both Bates and Reneau late in the cycle after both committed elsewhere. At the end of the season, if JHS does indeed go in the draft, in addition to the portal, there might be someone rescending a commitment and looking elsewhere. If we have a likely starting job open and a good year this year, we should be an attractive destination for someone ready to play.

Reactions: Imsowyctcwuzbetta
Interesting, haven't even played an official game yet and worrying about next year.
Need to just enjoy this season and let next year take care of itself.

I also think that with enough NIL, a player may elect to stay an extra year.
$200K to stay in school makes it easier to delay a few million and maybe even make a little more if you improve a deficiency.

Well after 1 exhibition game against an inferior team, I never saw TJD take a 3pt shot, unless he shot one in the 2nd half, didn’t watch that. So OBVIOUSLY he hasn’t improved his game from last yr and he OBVIOUSLY won’t be shooting 3pt shots so he should return since we won’t have a pg for next yr, we need all the help we can get for next yr
I just feel left out when people start worrying about things we have no control over and wanted to add to the hysteria…..feel better now

Reactions: hoosier48
No, it will be Cupps and it will be OK because he is underrated, can shoot, and has handles, he might have a couple bad games at first, but he'll be fine. Have we ever had a transfer star, maybe Keith Smart, but that's about it. I hate the portal, it's like trading in the NBA vs building your own talent

No, it will be Cupps and it will be OK because he is underrated, can shoot, and has handles, he might have a couple bad games at first, but he'll be fine. Have we ever had a transfer star, maybe Keith Smart, but that's about it. I hate the portal, it's like trading in the NBA vs building your own talent
I really wish you would have said that he is Extremely underrated. That would be the best way we could have a 3 page argument about if its actually "Extremely" or "severely" or "Highly" underrated.
We've got 2 days to fill up before the next game dang it! :)

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
I really wish you would have said that he is Extremely underrated. That would be the best way we could have a 3 page argument about if its actually "Extremely" or "severely" or "Highly" underrated.
We've got 2 days to fill up before the next game dang it! :)
It will be fine, anytime you get a Mr. Basketball that Lebron James reaches out to congratulate, he'll be good

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Not sure about Malik. He's only 6'9" on a good day and has all the NBA concerns that TJD has; mainly his shooting. I like him as at least a 3 year player, especially considering he won't get that many minutes this season because he will be stuck behind TJD, Race, and Geronimo. That's why I was so excited when he signed - because he has the chance to be a great college player who doesn't go pro right away, especially with the NIL.

In regards to Malik having the same shooting concerns as TJD…..Not to disparage TJD, who is one of my favorite IU players over the past multi-decades, but I’d bet that this year Malik will go to both hands (ie not be 100% dependent on the left) and shoot and make more 12 foot and out shots than TJD did in his first few years combined. Malik is also not going to get stuck behind JG for minutes. I would put the over/under for Maliks minutes at 18. A HUGE caveat is that we have only seen him play against competition that is inferior to his high school team. The next few weeks will show if my excitement is warranted.

as freshman elite 8

If he and Malik are back, would love to see TJD return also for his final year. Hopefully some good times ahead for IUBB with our teams having season and post season success that meets the historical success this proud program has achieved.

We’ll get a good transfer. Most likely we’ll have a strong year this year. And this scenario implies JHS going pro, so he’s likely to have had a good year. The team having a good year, and IU sending a guard to the first round will attract a good transfer guard or two.

Whoever that person is, will join up with Tamar, Trey, CJ, Gabe, and Jakai to form a solid backcourt.

Further, I think Gabe will come in and take the PG job pretty early on. So if there isn’t a high level transfer, he might step in and be the PG. And I think he’ll be a very good college Pg.

Reactions: ericrossiu
We’ll get a good transfer. Most likely we’ll have a strong year this year. And this scenario implies JHS going pro, so he’s likely to have had a good year. The team having a good year, and IU sending a guard to the first round will attract a good transfer guard or two.

Whoever that person is, will join up with Tamar, Trey, CJ, Gabe, and Jakai to form a solid backcourt.

Further, I think Gabe will come in and take the PG job pretty early on. So if there isn’t a high level transfer, he might step in and be the PG. And I think he’ll be a very good college Pg.
Gabe is going to surprise a lot of people. His job to lose imo next season.

JHS on the other hand will be able to show off his potential. I think he will stay a second season because he will be given the reins of the team in year 2 and can go from maybe sneaking into the 1st to being a lottery pick, so the OP was strictly hypothetical.
“he will be stuck behind TJD, Race&Geronimo” -
I doubt he will be behind Geronimo after seeing the two exhibition games. Malik out played JG in both games - by a wide margin!

“he will be stuck behind TJD, Race&Geronimo” -
I doubt he will be behind Geronimo after seeing the two exhibition games. Malik out played JG in both games - by a wide margin!
Malik def has offensive game out to the 3pt line

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT