ADVERTISEMENT

Which IU basketball loss was the hardest for you to stomach?

The loss in 1975 NCAA elite eight to Ky. that stopped the

Hoosiers from what likely would have been the first of two undefeated seasons, after Scott May was injured. Consecutive undefeated conference seasons and almost a Sixty plus game streak. Dammit!

Agree....

....we were screwed.....no doubt in my mind.

Even non IU fans have said this to me.....screwed.....no lube.

Sat behind the basket by Purdue bench...

those same assistants were talking sh** to the crowd all game long.

Article is from 2005...

CTC loss 3 out of last 4 to Louisville before leaving Marquette. The last season was what I had in mind. Pitino stayed in zone most of the game and they thumped a pretty good Marquette team twice that year - by 20 and by 14.

This post was edited on 2/6 2:00 PM by HA2740

It'll take everything in my power.....

....possbily even the addition of another person holding me back.....to not nut punt that SOB if I ever happen to run into him.

Can't believe the NCAA let him have a job after that performance. He had it out for Knight...it was so obvious.

DAMMIT!!....still pisses me off.

Told a co-worker about that incident about 5 years.

Now whenever I tell him about any bad news, he'll say, "Worse than stomping the I?"

I was in the balcony that game yelling, "He's got ice water in his veins!!!" about Guyton's 3 to tie the game. My most vivid moment from the balcony of any game.

His business card is an official giving a T to a man in a red

sweater. Yes he had it out for him.

Other than DJ, I'm not sure if anyone wearing a jersey did either.*

s

Probably at Illinois 2 years ago.

We were ranked #1 and dominating most of the game. We were up double digits with what, 3 minutes to go. Vic was dominating, then we couldn't get the ball in bounds. And Illinois tied it and then won on an inbounds play with a wide open lay up.

I got the hell out of there just as they were rushing the court. That sucked so bad, and that's when I started to seriously doubt Crean. I hate Illinois more than any other school, so it was especially brutal.

On the plus side I did get to meet IU16ForLife, Bayern Fan, and a couple others from Peegs before the game. Small consolation.

Re: Syracuse in 2013.

Originally posted by dbmhoosier:
I knew that was the last game we'd ever see Cody Zeller. It also made me realize that Crean wasn't the man for the job although I had my doubts beforehand.
Ditto. At that point it was clear nothing would happen with IUBB until a new coach. As for doubts beforehand, the crap game at home to OSU where we still cut down the nets was awful. I had 6th row tickets, and, yea...

IU-MD in 2002 sucked, but we went down admirably.

1975 to UK in Dayton

and nothing else is close. Even without a healthy May, IU would have won if the officiating hadn't stunk. Even a Chicago sportswriter wrote how the Cats got by with hacking and excessive physical play. I was 23, but still went into a dark funk over that one.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

No chance in 2002?

Not criticizing, just curious if you felt IU had no shot, even after qualifying for the championship game.

Sat 11 rows behind the bench and pissed as hard

as I could to reach the purdue bench but instead hit a few people wearing black shirts.
smokin.r191677.gif

I saw my dad cry twice.

Once was when his dad passed away in 1980. The other time was right after that game. He was really more pissed than anything, but the emotions came pouring out.

We was screwed. Maybe not quite 1972 Olympics caliber screwed. But that one hurt.
This post was edited on 2/6 4:55 PM by 1987Grad

I punched a hole in the wall and my girlfriend at the time thought I was

just a pure neanderthal.

I, like everyone, thought we were robbed.

However, I've watched that game in later years I'm not as convinced it was the complete homer job that I originally thought.

Basically Duke extended their defense after we went up something crazy like 18 and we couldn't run anything against it. They went on some crazy 30 to 6 run and just stymied us after extending their defense.

The calls sucked, they did...but that game had a massive swing before the foul issues and we were down something like 16 before Leary hit a bunch of last minute threes to get us close.

We did come out and punch them in the mouth to start.

Anyway, after watching again I'm not as pissed about that game as I originally was.

89 was still more of a heartbreaker for me. Plus in 92 we had everyone coming back so I felt really good about 93. 92 was more of a surprise run in the tourney. It's why I wasn't heartbroken over 02...that was a magical tourney run.

I want to live long enough....

to pi$$ on his grave. It`s on my bucket list. GO IU

I watched that game at my mom's house

I didn't have a satellite dish yet so I had to go there for all our ESPN games. When that shot went in, I had a moment of insanity and forgot where I was and dropped an f bomb. She was in another room then but has never mentioned it.

+1 ....

Drove all night in the fog from Cleveland to Syracuse. Got there 30 min b4 the game began. Terrible trip.

Yup I had airfare to San Diego

For the Final Four. Broke my heart .....

The Butler game when we were ranked no 1 ...

The Iowa game in the B1G championship when Recker hit the game winner.

I needed therapy after both those games.

But the Butler game was like watching someone rape my wife while I just stood there in shock.

Did said rapist have a crooked face?

We might know the suspect.

losing RMK as coach

We haven't been relevant (except for MDs magical run) since. Plus the way it was handled. Our dynasty died that day. We still haven't recovered.

Re: No chance in 2002?

I would say that I didn't see it coming and had no expectations at that point, and I was less invested at that time because of who I thought RMK had become. While it was happening I thought we had a chance. I thought Davis was a good hire, but I now believe I was wrong.

This post was edited on 2/7 9:16 AM by iucutter87

Not trying to start a forest fire, but the dynasty died in the '92-93...

season.

RMK's record after that team?

'93-94 - 21-9 - Loss to Boston College in Regional Semi-Final
'94-95 - 19-12 - Loss to Missouri in 1st Round
'95-96 - 19-12 - Loss to Boston College in 1st Round
'96-97 - 22-11 - Loss to Colorado in 1st Round
'97-98 - 20-12 - Loss to Connecticut in 2nd Round
'98-99 - 23-11 - Loss to St. John's in 2nd Round
'99-00 - 20-9 - Loss to Pepperdine in 1st Round

That's what was accepted under RMK in the last six years of his coaching at IU.

Let's face it - Knight was once great, but he was phacking phoning it in during the latter years of his tenure at IU, and I was on record at the time that IU should have fired his damn ass way before he wore out his welcome.

But, he wasn't tan and didn't tweak, so it was ok?

Yes, the banners Knight hung gave him a lot more rope than Crean will ever see, but still....that record is mass suckage.

Carry on.

2 games stick out very easy for me...

...the 1975 loss to UK. I was 10 years old, and my dad and I drove from Indy to Terre Haute to be able to watch it live. We checked in to some flea bag motel, watched the game for 2 hours, and drove back home. The loss was devastating.

Then, the 1992 game with Teddy Valentine as a ref. absolutely the maddest I have been as an adult. Shattered my remote that day, watching the game by myself. Phantom fouls and made up calls. Devastated for days, that game may have been the worst.

I know, but at least we were still making the tourney consistently. Now

It's ok to only make it every once in awhile with a Sweet 16 appearance our peak

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT