ADVERTISEMENT

Where's the damn Friday music thread?

Zizkov, you have great taste in music. We're cut from the same cloth.

and no….no no no….. Wu Tang (or Gza) is not better than Neil Young.

Zizkov, you have great taste in music. We're cut from the same cloth.

and no….no no no….. Wu Tang (or Gza) is not better than Neil Young.
In some ways..

Let's start with timing. .

then there's this ....

Embarrassing ...

Timing? not sure what you mean by that.

"In some ways"? Like, hip hop? yeah, ok.

Rhythm? No. Are you saying his rhythm is more syncopated, or always behind the beat? Is being behind the beat a good thing? I mean, I'm just guessing where Gza or WT might be better than Neil Young. You'll have to expand on that.

Even so, to compare a veritable giant of music with 40+ records spanning decades to a guy who's not untalented, but has already moved on artistically, is, well……..you finish this one.

Timing? .

In my original post I stated. "In some ways." It didn't mean he was better in all ways, or better, and instead of focusing on the negative of Neil being somehow less, focus instead on the positive of what I'm saying about Gza. In my second post, I stated "timing" as in understanding and application of and proficiency with. You rap? Can you do it? Neil can't. He's barely in time on his own songs.

I posted that particular album for a reason, it's very close in studio technique to hip hop, and it was damn awful. So, on the same playing field (close enough) Neil doesn't hold Gza's jock.

fwiw Neil Young is one of my favorites, easily top five.. I've seen him more than once. Gza is just someone I like listening to when I get bored with Neil, which is quite often. Not Neil's fault. I've listened to him since I was 7. But you know what, I haven't heard Wu Tang in years. I heard Neil 50 times in the last week and didn't even try. This thread doesn "need" Neil. It's needs more variety.

I turn on rock 104 and hear the same 38 groups play the same 38 songs they've played since 1978. It's 2015. 40 years of Zep, Floyd, Stones, Dylan, Neil .. 40 years. Over and over again. the same groups singing the same songs the same way.

Variety is a spice of life. I need, no I demand, variety. btw those groups I listed are easily in my top 10. I own everything Zep did. I own everything Floyd did. (they are probably my favorite of all time) I own almost every Beatles, Dylan and Young album, including Trans. I just can't listen to them anymore. It's tired. 40 years of the same 38 groups playing the same 38 songs. Enough!

anyways .. here's my point, and it was more so pointed to cosmic kid's reply that this thread "needed" Neil. I was not begging to differ. I was a'differin'. Neil is great, but we don't need to hear him anymore. We've all heard him 100,000 times. When was the last time you listened to Gza?

Recorded music became popular in the 20's. That's almost 100 years of recorded music, it's been invented and reinvented more times than one can imagine. but I turn on any radio, or show, or come to the internet and hear the same 38 songs by the same 38 groups. Over and over again, the same songs, played the same way, over and over.

then we have ..
8bit
Acid Jazz
Acid Rock
Acoustic Blues
Adult Alternative
Adult-Oriented Rock
Africa
Afro Punk
Afro-Beat
Afro-Pop
Alternative
Alternative Country
Alternative Folk
Alternative Rap
Alternative Rock
Alternativo
Ambient
Americana
Anatolian Rock
Argentine tango
Art Punk
Art Rock
Avant-Garde
Baladas y Boleros
Baroque
Bassline
Bebop
Big Band
Blue Note
Bluegrass
Blues
Blues-Rock
Bop
Bossa Nova
Bounce
Brazilian
Breakbeat
British Invasion
Britpop
Brostep
Cajun
Calypso
Caribbean
Celtic
Celtic Folk
Chicago Blues
Chicano
Chiptune
Classic
Classical
Conjunto
Cool
Country
Country Blues
Country Gospel
Crunk
Dance Pop
Dancehall
Dangdut
Death Metal / Black Metal
Deep House
Delta Blues
Dirty South
Disco
Dixieland
Doo Wop
Downtempo
Dream Pop
Drones
Dub
Dubstep
East Coast Rap
Electric Blues
Electro
Electro House
Electro Pop
Electro-swing
Electronic
Electronic Rock
Electronica
Enka
Environmental
Ethio-jazz
Exercise
Fitness & Workout
Flamenco
Folk-Rock
French Pop
Funk
Fusion
Gangsta Rap
Garage
German Folk
German Pop
Glam Rock
Glitch Hop
Gospel
Gregorian Chant
Grunge
Gypsy Jazz
Hair Metal
Hard Bop
Hard Dance
Hard Rock
Hardcore
Hardcore Punk
Hardcore Rap
Hardstyle
Healing
Hi-NRG
Hip-Hop
Hip-Hop/Rap
Honky Tonk
House
IDM/Experimental
Impressionist
Indian Ghazal
Indian Pop
Indie Folk
Indie Pop
Indie Rock
Industrial
Industrial
Instrumental
Jackin House
Jam Bands
Jazz
Jungle / Drum’n’bass
K-Pop
Latin
Latin Jazz
Latin Rap
Lo-fi
Lounge
Love Song
Mainstream Jazz
Medieval
Meditation
Metal
Minimalism
Motown
Neo-Soul
New Acoustic
New Age
New Mex
New Wave
Northern Soul
Nuevo Flamenco
Old School Rap
Opera
Outlaw Country
Polka
Pop Latino
Pop/Rock
Portuguese fado
Post Punk
Power Pop
Prog-Rock/Art Rock
Progressive Rock
Psychedelic
Psychedelic Soul
Punk
Qawwali
Quiet Storm
R&B/Soul
Ragtime
Raíces
Rap
Reggae
Reggaeton y Hip-Hop
Regional Mexicano
Regstep
Renaissance
Rock
Rock & Roll
Rockabilly
Romantic
Roots Reggae
Roots Rock
Salsa
Shoegaze
Singer/Songwriter
Ska
Smooth Jazz
Soca
Soft Rock
Soul
Soul Blues
Southern Gospel
Southern Rock
Southern Soul
Spoken Word
Steampunk
Surf
Swing
Synthpop
Techno
Tex-Mex
Traditionals
Trance
Trap
Trip Hop
Turntablism
Underground Rap
Vaudeville
West Coast Rap
World
Worldbeat
Zydeco

And yet I hear the same 38 songs, by the same 38 groups, singing the same song, the same way, over and over and over. Eventually, it becomes a baloney sandwich on white bread with ketchup and a bag of plain potato chips served with luke warm tap water. And, eventually if served the same baloney sandwich over and over and over again. I will complain.

Do you get me, now? vbg

Last edited:
In my original post I stated. "In some ways." It didn't mean he was better in all ways, or better, and instead of focusing on the negative of Neil being somehow less, focus instead on the positive of what I'm saying about Gza. In my second post, I stated "timing" as in understanding and application of and proficiency with. You rap? Can you do it? Neil can't. He's barely in time on his own songs.

I posted that particular album for a reason, it's very close in studio technique to hip hop, and it was damn awful. So, on the same playing field (close enough) Neil doesn't hold Gza's jock.

fwiw Neil Young is one of my favorites, easily top five.. I've seen him more than once. Gza is just someone I like listening to when I get bored with Neil, which is quite often. Not Neil's fault. I've listened to him since I was 7. But you know what, I haven't heard Wu Tang in years. I heard Neil 50 times in the last week and didn't even try. This thread doesn "need" Neil. It's needs more variety.

I turn on rock 104 and hear the same 38 groups play the same 38 songs they've played since 1978. It's 2015. 40 years of Zep, Floyd, Stones, Dylan, Neil .. 40 years. Over and over again. the same groups singing the same songs the same way.

Variety is a spice of life. I need, no I demand, variety. btw those groups I listed are easily in my top 10. I own everything Zep did. I own everything Floyd did. (they are probably my favorite of all time) I own almost every Beatles, Dylan and Young album, including Trans. I just can't listen to them anymore. It's tired. 40 years of the same 38 groups playing the same 38 songs. Enough!

anyways .. here's my point, and it was more so pointed to cosmic kid's reply that this thread "needed" Neil. I was not begging to differ. I was a'differin'. Neil is great, but we don't need to hear him anymore. We've all heard him 100,000 times. When was the last time you listened to Gza?

Recorded music became popular in the 20's. That's almost 100 years of recorded music, it's been invented and reinvented more times than one can imagine. but I turn on any radio, or show, or come to the internet and hear the same 38 songs by the same 38 groups. Over and over again, the same songs, played the same way, over and over.

then we have ..
8bit
Acid Jazz
Acid Rock
Acoustic Blues
Adult Alternative
Adult-Oriented Rock
Africa
Afro Punk
Afro-Beat
Afro-Pop
Alternative
Alternative Country
Alternative Folk
Alternative Rap
Alternative Rock
Alternativo
Ambient
Americana
Anatolian Rock
Argentine tango
Art Punk
Art Rock
Avant-Garde
Baladas y Boleros
Baroque
Bassline
Bebop
Big Band
Blue Note
Bluegrass
Blues
Blues-Rock
Bop
Bossa Nova
Bounce
Brazilian
Breakbeat
British Invasion
Britpop
Brostep
Cajun
Calypso
Caribbean
Celtic
Celtic Folk
Chicago Blues
Chicano
Chiptune
Classic
Classical
Conjunto
Cool
Country
Country Blues
Country Gospel
Crunk
Dance Pop
Dancehall
Dangdut
Deep House
Delta Blues
Dirty South
Disco
Dixieland
Doo Wop
Downtempo
Dream Pop
Drones
Dub
Dubstep
East Coast Rap
Electric Blues
Electro
Electro House
Electro Pop
Electro-swing
Electronic
Electronic Rock
Electronica
Enka
Environmental
Ethio-jazz
Exercise
Fitness & Workout
Flamenco
Folk-Rock
French Pop
Funk
Fusion
Gangsta Rap
Garage
German Folk
German Pop
Glam Rock
Glitch Hop
Gospel
Gregorian Chant
Grunge
Gypsy Jazz
Hair Metal
Hard Bop
Hard Dance
Hard Rock
Hardcore
Hardcore Punk
Hardcore Rap
Hardstyle
Healing
Hi-NRG
Hip-Hop
Hip-Hop/Rap
Honky Tonk
House
IDM/Experimental
Impressionist
Indian Ghazal
Indian Pop
Indie Folk
Indie Pop
Indie Rock
Industrial
Industrial
Instrumental
Jackin House
Jam Bands
Jazz
Jungle / Drum’n’bass
K-Pop
Latin
Latin Jazz
Latin Rap
Lo-fi
Lounge
Love Song
Mainstream Jazz
Medieval
Meditation
Metal
Minimalism
Motown
Neo-Soul
New Acoustic
New Age
New Mex
New Wave
Northern Soul
Nuevo Flamenco
Old School Rap
Opera
Outlaw Country
Polka
Pop Latino
Pop/Rock
Portuguese fado
Post Punk
Power Pop
Prog-Rock/Art Rock
Progressive Rock
Psychedelic
Psychedelic Soul
Punk
Qawwali
Quiet Storm
R&B/Soul
Ragtime
Raíces
Rap
Reggae
Reggaeton y Hip-Hop
Regional Mexicano
Regstep
Renaissance
Rock
Rock & Roll
Rockabilly
Romantic
Roots Reggae
Roots Rock
Salsa
Shoegaze
Singer/Songwriter
Ska
Smooth Jazz
Soca
Soft Rock
Soul
Soul Blues
Southern Gospel
Southern Rock
Southern Soul
Spoken Word
Steampunk
Surf
Swing
Synthpop
Techno
Tex-Mex
Traditionals
Trance
Trap
Trip Hop
Turntablism
Underground Rap
Vaudeville
West Coast Rap
World
Worldbeat
Zydeco

And yet I hear the same 38 songs, by the same 38 groups, singing the same song, the same way, over and over and over. Eventually, it becomes a baloney sandwich on white bread with ketchup and a bag of plain potato chips served with luke warm tap water. And, eventually if served the same baloney sandwich over and over and over again. I will complain.

Do you get me, now? vbg

-------------------------------------------

I think when you make statements that say "such and such are better than such such…", you open yourself up for a qualiitative analysis that leaves certain sides of the equation obviously *lacking*.

To be honest, when I compare WT to Neil Young…….there's just no comparison. Its like saying Steve Hart could jump higher than Larry Bird. Well yeah, true. But why in the world are we talking about Steve Hart? And why in the world are we talking about Wu Tang Clan?

They simply don't belong in the same conversation. Ever, never.

-------------------------------------------

I think when you make statements that say "such and such are better than such such…", you open yourself up for a qualiitative analysis that leaves certain sides of the equation obviously *lacking*.

To be honest, when I compare WT to Neil Young…….there's just no comparison. Its like saying Steve Hart could jump higher than Larry Bird. Well yeah, true. But why in the world are we talking about Steve Hart? And why in the world are we talking about Wu Tang Clan?

They simply don't belong in the same conversation. Ever, never.

Bullshit .. especially when the sub topic is tired old groups I've heard 100,000 times.

Bullshit .. especially when the sub topic is tired old groups I've heard 100,000 times.
--------------------------------------

Tired. To You. Does not change the facts here.

If you're tired of said artists, doesn't reduce their strength or influence in the long view.

then we have ..
8bit
Acid Jazz
Acid Rock
Acoustic Blues
Adult Alternative
Adult-Oriented Rock
Africa
Afro Punk
Afro-Beat
Afro-Pop
Alternative
Alternative Country
Alternative Folk
Alternative Rap
Alternative Rock
Alternativo
Ambient
Americana
Anatolian Rock
Argentine tango
Art Punk
Art Rock
Avant-Garde
Baladas y Boleros
Baroque
Bassline
Bebop
Big Band
Blue Note
Bluegrass
Blues
Blues-Rock
Bop
Bossa Nova
Bounce
Brazilian
Breakbeat
British Invasion
Britpop
Brostep
Cajun
Calypso
Caribbean
Celtic
Celtic Folk
Chicago Blues
Chicano
Chiptune
Classic
Classical
Conjunto
Cool
Country
Country Blues
Country Gospel
Crunk
Dance Pop
Dancehall
Dangdut
Deep House
Delta Blues
Dirty South
Disco
Dixieland
Doo Wop
Downtempo
Dream Pop
Drones
Dub
Dubstep
East Coast Rap
Electric Blues
Electro
Electro House
Electro Pop
Electro-swing
Electronic
Electronic Rock
Electronica
Enka
Environmental
Ethio-jazz
Exercise
Fitness & Workout
Flamenco
Folk-Rock
French Pop
Funk
Fusion
Gangsta Rap
Garage
German Folk
German Pop
Glam Rock
Glitch Hop
Gospel
Gregorian Chant
Grunge
Gypsy Jazz
Hair Metal
Hard Bop
Hard Dance
Hard Rock
Hardcore
Hardcore Punk
Hardcore Rap
Hardstyle
Healing
Hi-NRG
Hip-Hop
Hip-Hop/Rap
Honky Tonk
House
IDM/Experimental
Impressionist
Indian Ghazal
Indian Pop
Indie Folk
Indie Pop
Indie Rock
Industrial
Industrial
Instrumental
Jackin House
Jam Bands
Jazz
Jungle / Drum’n’bass
K-Pop
Latin
Latin Jazz
Latin Rap
Lo-fi
Lounge
Love Song
Mainstream Jazz
Medieval
Meditation
Metal
Minimalism
Motown
Neo-Soul
New Acoustic
New Age
New Mex
New Wave
Northern Soul
Nuevo Flamenco
Old School Rap
Opera
Outlaw Country
Polka
Pop Latino
Pop/Rock
Portuguese fado
Post Punk
Power Pop
Prog-Rock/Art Rock
Progressive Rock
Psychedelic
Psychedelic Soul
Punk
Qawwali
Quiet Storm
R&B/Soul
Ragtime
Raíces
Rap
Reggae
Reggaeton y Hip-Hop
Regional Mexicano
Regstep
Renaissance
Rock
Rock & Roll
Rockabilly
Romantic
Roots Reggae
Roots Rock
Salsa
Shoegaze
Singer/Songwriter
Ska
Smooth Jazz
Soca
Soft Rock
Soul
Soul Blues
Southern Gospel
Southern Rock
Southern Soul
Spoken Word
Steampunk
Surf
Swing
Synthpop
Techno
Tex-Mex
Traditionals
Trance
Trap
Trip Hop
Turntablism
Underground Rap
Vaudeville
West Coast Rap
World
Worldbeat
Zydeco

Do you get me, now? vbg

My God.

--------------------------------------

Tired. To You. Does not change the facts here.

If you're tired of said artists, doesn't reduce their strength or influence in the long view.

You're playing the wrong tune.... slow down a bit.

I didn't deny any "fact". I never implied that one was greater than the other (you keep fixating one one sentence that you're STILL misinterpreting). I added "in some ways" for a reason. One because it's true and two this thread didn't NEED Neil Young, I've already heard him today, and yesterday, and the day before. going back to 1978....

I only stated that Rza has some musical qualities that are better than Neil's. I pointed out two. They are as much fact as anything you have said, that I haven't denied.

And, yes listening to the same songs for 40 years (to me) is tiring. So, I will push my agenda for MORE variety in music on this board. Why is that a bad thing? I like hearing songs I haven't heard for the 100.000th time, pardon me, I get quite bored with the same ole same ole.

38 bands playing the same tired 38 songs, over and over and over and over and over .... (fade out)

You're playing the wrong tune.... slow down a bit.

I didn't deny any "fact". I never implied that one was greater than the other (you keep fixating one one sentence that you're STILL misinterpreting). I added "in some ways" for a reason. One because it's true and two this thread didn't NEED Neil Young, I've already heard him today, and yesterday, and the day before. going back to 1978....

I only stated that Rza has some musical qualities that are better than Neil's. I pointed out two. They are as much fact as anything you have said, that I haven't denied.

And, yes listening to the same songs for 40 years (to me) is tiring. So, I will push my agenda for MORE variety in music on this board. Why is that a bad thing? I like hearing songs I haven't heard for the 100.000th time, pardon me, I get quite bored with the same ole same ole.

38 bands playing the same tired 38 songs, over and over and over and over and over .... (fade out)

By the way, I completely agree with your mission for more musical variety. Clown asses here post the same stale old shit time after time after time...

By the way, I completely agree with your mission for more musical variety. Clown asses here post the same stale old shit time after time after time...
You're really not helping but ..

I really enjoyed the Wu Tang today. I haven't listened to them in ages. If I hear them 100,000 times I won't listen to them anymore either. I think I'm gonna go on a Zydeco kick for a week.

You're really not helping but ..

I really enjoyed the Wu Tang today. I haven't listened to them in ages. If I hear them 100,000 times I won't listen to them anymore either. I think I'm gonna go on a Zydeco kick for a week.

Cash rules everything around me.

I agree with the need for variety.
Yea, I'm not saying posting Neil, or Beatles, or Stones, or Floyd, is bad, (it's not like everyone that likes music likes them right?) but let's post one of the other 101,298,786 songs by one of the 1,189,678 bands and acts in the 1000's of genres made in the last 100 years once in a awhile too.

(Not you Money)

Yea, I'm not saying posting Neil, or Beatles, or Stones, or Floyd, is bad, (it's not like everyone that likes music likes them right?) but let's post one of the other 101,298,786 songs by one of the 1,189,678 bands and acts in the 1000's of genres made in the last 100 years once in a awhile too.

(Not you Money)
I think you'll dig this one:

It'll take me awhile. That's the first time I heard them. Reminds me a lot of Santana in parts. They're eclectic for an African band. Ha, I almost get a Jethro Tull thing when the flute plays.
They were classically trained in England, but all from Africa or the Caribbean, so that's where you're hearing that eclecticism.

HA. Never fails. Anytime I play something, regardless if it's a recording or me playing, that has actual bluesy tones, (not the watered down tones for white people) Tiff complains. I like that .. that's in my wheelhouse.
I wasn't even thinking about War tonight, but my sister put that one on my timeline. It's one from our childhood.

Sigh... white people. Most white people think blues just means adding a minor seventh...

I wasn't even thinking about War tonight, but my sister put that one on my timeline. It's one from our childhood.

Sigh... white people. Most white people think blues just means adding a minor seventh...
Yea, she isn't bothered by 7ths it's the flat 5ths (and 4ths and 3rds) that annoy her. Our rule is she can veto funk, blues or jazz, and I get to veto her bluegrass and Irish tunes. She likes a style of Irish music I can't stand. I'm not allowed to play slide blues around her. The tones irritate her.. I also complain because she plays the same songs all the time. Imagine that.. lol

I have to add, she gets to listen to me learn songs. She ends up hating them and me right about the time I become competent with it.

Yea, she isn't bothered by 7ths it's the flat 5ths (and 4ths and 3rds) that annoy her. Our rule is she can veto funk, blues or jazz, and I get to veto her bluegrass and Irish tunes. She likes a style of Irish music I can't stand. I'm not allowed to play slide blues around her. The tones irritate her.. I also complain because she plays the same songs all the time. Imagine that.. lol

I have to add, she gets to listen to me learn songs. She ends up hating them and me right about the time I become competent with it.
I get the d5. It's the only interval that doesn't appear in any of the "normal" scales, and it can confuse novices... Can't play real music without a m3, though, and the only difference between a d4 and a Major 3rd is how you use it...

I have done a lot of genealogy, and haven't found a single black guy in my family tree, but he's gotta be there somewhere, because I didn't get this music from the white genes. LOL.

I get the d5. It's the only interval that doesn't appear in any of the "normal" scales, and it can confuse novices... Can't play real music without a m3, though, and the only difference between a d4 and a Major 3rd is how you use it...

I have done a lot of genealogy, and haven't found a single black guy in my family tree, but he's gotta be there somewhere, because I didn't get this music from the white genes. LOL.

That's funny. We, (Tiff, my friends and I) have this conversation all the time. We all have music that pulls our heartstrings. For me it's Scottish drones and drum beats and old timey Delta blues. For her it's old timey traditionals and Irish reels. I also have an inherent ability to play bluegrass licks. Which is just weird considering I don't really like bluegrass. Too many notes, and that nasal vocal tone just kills me.

Her heritage is Irish. Mine is Scottish (Welsh) and my Dad, who died when I was 3, was born in the deep South. Yup. Did we pick that music because of our heritage or did our heritage pick it for us?

Also, Asians love the blues, those tones wouldn't bother them/us (7 eastern notes within 1 western note?) the West Coast blues picking competitions (yes there is such a thing) were dominated by the Chinese for a few years. btw Asian music (with the exception of Japanese drums) is horrible.

Is that a Scottish group? They sound much more Irish.
No real difference. Or, there is, many in fact, but all too subtle. So much of their music is shared that there's tons of crossover. Yes, they're Scottish. The drums sound more Scot, the pipes sound more Irish?

No real difference. Or, there is, many in fact, but all too subtle. So much of their music is shared that there's tons of crossover. Yes, they're Scottish. The drums sound more Scot, the pipes sound more Irish?
Actually, I was thinking the melody and intonation sounded more Irish. Especially in the first video. Second one, had some more Scottish phrases.

There are huge differences. LOL. Scottish music and Irish music... Ah, but you know.

Cape Breton folk is closer to Scottish than Irish is, and it's an ocean apart...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT