ADVERTISEMENT

What's the latest on Elijah Malone?

I don't doubt it, but we actually have minutes to give in the frontcourt, and they could be pivotal for what is shaping up to be a pretty strong roster. I love him as a compliment to Ballo because he can shoot from 3 and FTs and still has good size. Makes him a very interesting and possibly valuable piece. Maybe a little PT + a little NIL + a little notierity from playing at a P5 school will entice him. Gotta be a pretty strong formula for a kid. Where's he likely to see more minutes or a much bigger/better role than that: ISU?
Some guys on B Town Banners forum are saying we are out of the competition for him, which is now between ND and Colorado.

The transfer portal thread on that site has a recent posting concerning about 20 candidates for the 4,5 or 4/5 backup role. I took a look at the 247 portal rankings for guys ranked from 100-200 and saw 14 uncommitted guys who we might possibly get. I did not limit the search to guys who could play both the 4 and 5, as we may be forced to go with a guy who is limited to the C position.

That was talk about asst coach Walsh being in social media contact with a Ukrainian kid, Nakita Konstantynovskyi (seriously), who played for Monmouth last year, He's 6-10 235 lbs and is exclusively an interior player., listed by 247 as a power forward. I read a story about him where his Monmouth coach called him a guy with a high basketball IQ, skilled in the pick game, great kid yada yada. He's a good rebounder, but not really a skilled scorer. He has quite a background story, as you might expect, and only came into his own last year. He's a kid who we could root for, maybe we could give him a little $ for his family. He'd give us his all and would be a good teammate. There's a transfer video of him that I am unable to link....perhaps some one else can. Also, I tried but could not pull up the coach's story about him...maybe someone can find that..

I did see that Ole Miss has been in contact with him.

I would obviously prefer someone like Stewart if we are seriously involved with him.

Reactions: nichlee and kkott
Some guys on B Town Banners forum are saying we are out of the competition for him, which is now between ND and Colorado.

The transfer portal thread on that site has a recent posting concerning about 20 candidates for the 4,5 or 4/5 backup role. I took a look at the 247 portal rankings for guys ranked from 100-200 and saw 14 uncommitted guys who we might possibly get. I did not limit the search to guys who could play both the 4 and 5, as we may be forced to go with a guy who is limited to the C position.

That was talk about asst coach Walsh being in social media contact with a Ukrainian kid, Nakita Konstantynovskyi (seriously), who played for Monmouth last year, He's 6-10 235 lbs and is exclusively an interior player., listed by 247 as a power forward. I read a story about him where his Monmouth coach called him a guy with a high basketball IQ, skilled in the pick game, great kid yada yada. He's a good rebounder, but not really a skilled scorer. He has quite a background story, as you might expect, and only came into his own last year. He's a kid who we could root for, maybe we could give him a little $ for his family. He'd give us his all and would be a good teammate. There's a transfer video of him that I am unable to link....perhaps some one else can. Also, I tried but could not pull up the coach's story about him...maybe someone can find that..

I did see that Ole Miss has been in contact with him.

I would obviously prefer someone like Stewart if we are seriously involved with him.

There's a lot of talk now about Nakita on the b town banners site, fyi.

As of Sunday he was torn between IU and ND. He loved the thought of playing at IU with the Big Stage and TV exposure that comes with IU, but ND offered more NIL. He was told that 10-15 min's are available at the center position at IU. This came from one of his team mates Father.
Thanks..........does sound as though we're not in on the Evansville kid.....I see where my man Nakita from above did make ON3s portal ratings at something like #250. 10-15 minutes sound as though they are only looking at him to spell Bello. Either Malone or Nakita can do that. Both are pretty slow. Both rebound pretty well and are smart.

Reactions: Willray
I’m not saying Malone isn’t a good player as I’ve never even watched a highlight video of him. What I can say without watching anything on him, is that his numbers are against other NAIA/D3 players. Whatever his numbers are, they won’t directly translate once he starts going up against D1 players. In D1 he’ll be going against guys just as big, or bigger, and faster/more athletic. There’s also a chance he could come in and tear shit up, but his stats aren’t against D1 players.
He had 9 points and 3 rebounds against Edey this year?...in a little over 20 minutes of play.

Purdue showed, very clearly, the difference between a good P5 D1 team and a top level NAIA team. But Malone didn't look out of place in his minutes...at all...any more than anyone else looks out of place playing against Edey.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Thanks..........does sound as though we're not in on the Evansville kid.....I see where my man Nakita from above did make ON3s portal ratings at something like #250. 10-15 minutes sound as though they are only looking at him to spell Bello. Either Malone or Nakita can do that. Both are pretty slow. Both rebound pretty well and are smart.

I don't quite understand why this backup 4/5 spot is considered so unattractive to potential recruits. It seems to me that anybody who could legitimately play either position could be looking at 20M/game, which isn't bad for a young big. Also, for someone with upside and more than 1 year left, you'd be in good shape to start in 2025-26 with Ballo and (perhaps) MR gone. I'd be more concerned about minutes if I was someone like Goode or Essegian.

I read what Willray says above to mean they think Malone is too slow to play any 4......he'd be just a back-up to Ballo. If that's all we're looking for the Ukrainian can do that as well. Attached is an article about that kid. I saw a list of schools who have contacted him---Arizona St plus a lot of mid-majors, so he may be a bit of a reach. As I indicated earlier, Coach Walsh is following him on SM.

Last edited:
You never know I saw a few d3 and NAIA players tear up teams with multiple burger boys. Can you say Kentucky in this year's tournament and Michigan had a pretty good shooter player a couple years ago. Who knows if we decide to try and get him, and he commits he makes the team a little stronger 1 through 13.
I said it was possible he could come in and be very good. I agree, you never know

I don't quite understand why this backup 4/5 spot is considered so unattractive to potential recruits. It seems to me that anybody who could legitimately play either position could be looking at 20M/game, which isn't bad for a young big. Also, for someone with upside and more than 1 year left, you'd be in good shape to start in 2025-26 with Ballo and (perhaps) MR gone. I'd be more concerned about minutes if I was someone like Goode or Essegian.

I read what Willray says above to mean they think Malone is too slow to play any 4......he'd be just a back-up to Ballo. If that's all we're looking for the Ukrainian can do that as well. Attached is an article about that kid. I saw a list of schools who have contacted him---Arizona St plus a lot of mid-majors, so he may be a bit of a reach. As I indicated earlier, Coach Walsh is following him on SM.

Here's an updated story about my man Nakita. Now has a decent offer list. Would be a backup 5 only, not a combo 4/5 guy.

Reactions: Gage Fu

A player that can be used as a 4/5 would be extremely valuable for IU ( and a lot of other schools)! Would probably demand more NIL $ than we have available ( The statement that ND is offering more NIL to Malone)
We definitely need a 5 than is satisfied with 10-15 min a game. We have enough bodies to play the 4 (MR, MM & Goode).

A player that can be used as a 4/5 would be extremely valuable for IU ( and a lot of other schools)! Would probably demand more NIL $ than we have available ( The statement that ND is offering more NIL to Malone)
We definitely need a 5 than is satisfied with 10-15 min a game. We have enough bodies to play the 4 (MR, MM & Goode).
Having a good backup center is imp[ortant. Even Walton had Sven Nader who played well in games and practiced hard against Walton, thus pushing Bill harder.

Having a good backup center is imp[ortant. Even Walton had Sven Nader who played well in games and practiced hard against Walton, thus pushing Bill harder.
Swen Nater was a NBA rookie of the year, 2 time All NBA selection, led the league in rebounding for a year, and averaged a 12/12 over a 700+ game NBA career!!! I think you are selling him a little short!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT