ADVERTISEMENT

What's IU looking like in 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the negative outlook about PU football is about the first three games last year before injuries hit PU hard. It is hard to justify being a good team and losing those games.

Purdue was without major contributors all year.

No excuse losing to Nevada but that was still only one game. Against TCU we had just lost our best defender/NFL pick for the season which left a huge hole at LB. Sindelar didn’t play either and Plummer made his first ever start against TCU. Two injuries to two pretty key guys on the team.

Lorenzo Neal Purdue's all Big Ten NT was out all year, gotta think that would have tipped the scales against Nevada.

Lorenzo Neal Purdue's all Big Ten NT was out all year, gotta think that would have tipped the scales against Nevada.
Clearly PU was the first team in the history of football to have injuries.

But seriously...PU was lucky with injuries for a couple of years and law of averages caught up last year. I didn't see any sympathy from Lafayette when our 5th string QB played and won the bucket game. Or when we lost our leading WR from the year before, on the first play of the season two years in a row.

That is why coaches recruit for depth. Brohm has done well with top end talent, but Allen has brought in deeper classes in my opinion.

You can't deny that Brohm has lost at least one game each year he had no business losing. Nevada, rutger, directional Michigan Eagles...

But seriously...PU was lucky with injuries for a couple of years and law of averages caught up last year. I didn't see any sympathy from Lafayette when our 5th string QB played and won the bucket game. Or when we lost our leading WR from the year before, on the first play of the season two years in a row.

That is why coaches recruit for depth. Brohm has done well with top end talent, but Allen has brought in deeper classes in my opinion.

You can't deny that Brohm has lost at least one game each year he had no business losing. Nevada, rutger, directional Michigan Eagles...
I think the difference between Brohm and Allen's recruiting so far is Allen had more of a team and therefore was able to recruit more depth right away, but Brohms depth has to play because there weren't as many guys in front. I think we will have a good barometer of what these coaches can be in another 2 years. I think the rivalry could get fun.

Reactions: Andy06
I feel pretty comfortable saying Indiana has the better overall football team. But Bucket games get weird in a hurry and if the game turns into a dadgum track meet Moore and Bell can keep things closer than they probably ought be. Yes we have Mullen which is huge but I have a feeling Taylor is gonna turn some heads this year too. If the safeties are solid and we get a pass rush Purdue will be annoying but never a real threat.

I think the difference between Brohm and Allen's recruiting so far is Allen had more of a team and therefore was able to recruit more depth right away, but Brohms depth has to play because there weren't as many guys in front. I think we will have a good barometer of what these coaches can be in another 2 years. I think the rivalry could get fun.
I agree. I think the next several years, the home team will likely be a slight favorite in the bucket game. Should be a fun rivalry to watch. PU has had too many dominant streaks for it to always be considered a rivalry game.

I was at the game in Ross-Ade for Dinardo's final game. It was a massacre. There was a tall skinny TE shredded us. Hopefully game like that are behind us.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Brohm is a good coach and he has assembled more talent at Purdue then theyve had since Tiller. It's just a matter of tine till he gets them running closer to their historical norm.

Brohm has lost games he should have won, but more importantly he's won big games on national TV, and that is more important when rebuilding a program.

Folks hating on Brohm are going to be disappointed in the end.

So you claim to have the better offense let’s break it down then
Quarterback you have already conceded that to IU assuming Penix stays healthy which you have to do until he is not.
Offensive line although Purdue offensive line has improved I still think that edge goes to IU. Bedford and Jones return at Tackles. Crider returns at center Nworah listed at one guard and Katic at the other ahead of Powell the grad transfer from Stanford.
Tight end with Hendershot back and you losing your stud from last year that gives us the edge there..
Receivers Moore and Bell probably top 2 then Philyor is possibly third best on the field then we have Freyfogle, Marshall Ellis. Which are not bad, but have to give you guys the edge there.
Running backs Scott and Sampson over Over your guys for sure. Although Horvath had a monster game last year.
Play caller no doubt Brohm is very good ours is huge unknown. Big edge goes to you
Not sure how you give yourself the big advantage on offense.

Both MP and JP were injured in first year. MP only saw significant action in one game. JP saw started 5 games. In opener with PSU on the road he was sacked ten times and had a 97.4 QB rating. In the rain against Illinois he had a 56.8 rating. Purdue lost by 28 and 18. In games against Maryland, Nebraska (both wins) and Iowa (loss) he had QB ratings of 190.7, 141.0 and 124.7. completed 70% of passes with 7 TD’s and 3 INT and 5 sacks. Purdue won by 26 and 4 and lost by 6.

MP made great progress from first year to second. Most QB’s do. JP will be in his second season. He is healthy. MP is healthy. The difference may not be as great as some hope. Purdue lost to IU in OT with a walk on at QB who would have gone to Wheaton College had Purdue’s QB coach not seen something he liked and urged Aiden O’Connell to walk on at Purdue.

No excuse losing to Nevada but that was still only one game. Against TCU we had just lost our best defender/NFL pick for the season which left a huge hole at LB. Sindelar didn’t play either and Plummer made his first ever start against TCU. Two injuries to two pretty key guys on the team.

Ok, but you are saying one player makes the difference. Are you getting that LB back? I am confused at where the upgrade is this year from PU from last year when you had Moore with Bell?

Ok, but you are saying one player makes the difference. Are you getting that LB back? I am confused at where the upgrade is this year from PU from last year when you had Moore with Bell?
potential starting offense lists 1 RFR, 7 So’s, 2 Jrs and 1 Sr. Potential offensive 2 deeps list 5 RFR, 9 So’s, 5 Jrs and 3 Srs. One of seniors is a grad transfer.

potential starting defense lists 5 So’s, 2 Jrs (1 JC trsfr) , 4 Sr’s (1 is returning NG who was projected # 1 pick and missed last year. 1 grad trsfr and 1 JC) potential defensive 2 deeps are 4 RSF, 7 So’s, 3 Jrs, 8 Sr’s.

Top 44 includes 9 RFR, 16 So’s, 8 Jr’s and 11 Sr’s.
only 25 of the 112 rostered players are upperclassmen.

The Purdue DL will be 23 pounds heavier than 2019.

Last edited:
I agree. I think the next several years, the home team will likely be a slight favorite in the bucket game. Should be a fun rivalry to watch. PU has had too many dominant streaks for it to always be considered a rivalry game.

I was at the game in Ross-Ade for Dinardo's final game. It was a massacre. There was a tall skinny TE shredded us. Hopefully game like that are behind us.
The series is 13-17 PU over the last 30 years. So exactly 2 games over 30 years from being a tied series.

Purdue's two big streaks (4 & 5 consecutive respectively) happened in a 9-1 decade of 1997 - 2006). IU has the one 4-year streak 2013 - 2016.

In the same time period, 16 of the games have been decided by one score or less. 2 more have been decided by not more than two scores.

Of the 12 blowouts, IU won 3 & PU won 9 (got us there).

It can always be considered a rivalry game.

No I was explaining why it’s hard to judge last year because we only had one game played without significant injuries to significant players on the team. Bailey is gone this year. The upgrade can come from plenty of places. WR room will be even better with 4 incoming 4* freshmen WR’s, an improved OL, and a secondary with some transfers who should help.

If brohm wants to be remembered as one of the greats in football he needs to stop losing early season games to teams beneath his teams talent level. Eastern Michigan, Rutgers, Nevada etc

Fair enough and I think those losses will hopefully go away over time. But unlike Allen, he’s also won several games he wasn’t supposed to win so that helps make up for the bad losses somewhat.

Kind of hate that this thread is here. Once in a blue moon when I go check Gold and Black it’s nothing but IU thread after IU thread. It’s all they care about. They’re obsessed. I don’t want any IU site to be a mirror image of that. Although this was started by a Purdue fan so I guess it’s ok.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Actually just watched that game 10 minutes ago. David bell was targeted 17 times. 4 were officially pass breakups and 4 were not pass breakups but tight coverage prevented the catch and 9 were catches
I don’t know specifically who he was defending at the time, but Mullen also had 2 or 3 PI calls against him as well. He is a good, aggressive defender, but will need to reduce those errors. I’d take him in a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT