ADVERTISEMENT

What Will It Take To Beat O$U?

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
Until we see Wisconsin in December (the Big Ten Championship game);):)..., (t) ohio $tate will be the most talented team we play..., so how do we go about Winning against them?

In my opinion, it will take both extreme focus and inspired play on both sides of the ball.

Since it's the Big Ten opener for both teams we won't get the gift of being "overlooked" or not taken seriously...

We'll get their best shot, so here's hoping our guys are ready to give them ours.

I'm hoping to see consistent execution on offense, with some explosive plays mixed in; a near perfect kicking game; and a ferocious, swarming D, with textbook tackling and 3-4 takeaways (while constantly harassing and hammering their QB all game long...

Should be a good one...!

We need to have our best efforts come out this game and to get several takeaways. If everyone plays as hard as Whop did last game, IU has a shot at beating OSU. I think our offense will score points and will need to see our defense stop OSU's offense for IU to win. I expect our ST will continue their performance for this game.

We need to have our best efforts come out this game and to get several takeaways. If everyone plays as hard as Whop did last game, IU has a shot at beating OSU. I think our offense will score points and will need to see our defense stop OSU's offense for IU to win. I expect our ST will continue their performance for this game.

Whop's run after catch last game is how I hope to see the entire team play the rest of the season.

I predict IU will win if they are +2 on turnovers and there is a one score difference entering the 4th quarter (does not matter if leading or trailing). Your heard it hear first.

Penix healthy; plus one or two in the turnover battle; connect on a couple long passes; special teams chaos - bust a return or get a block; kick a couple of long FGs; get a couple timely calls...

If none of that happens we lose, but if a couple of those happen, we’re right in it!

Reactions: 76-1
Offensively
1. Take care of the football!!!
2. Receivers have to help Penix out and make plays catch the football.
3. Protect Penix
4. Score touchdowns in the Red Zone and be perfect on field goal attempts outside the Red Zone.
5. Need at least one sudden change score.

Defensively
1. Limit big plays
2. Limit missed tackles let’s be realistic they are not going to make every tackle against these guys.
3. Know your assignment and execute. No blown coverages. Linebackers must get into their run fits. Do not overrun the ball. Can’t rely on defense backs making a ton of tackles.
4. Must win turnover battle.

Special Teams
1.Cover cover cover and then cover some more.
2. No short fields meaning cover again and no short punts.
3. No field goals in red zone and perfect outside red zone again.

IU must believe in each other believe they can win and trust each other aka Love each other. It is not impossible but it is going to take near perfection. Herb Brooks said it best, “ Great moments are born out of great opportunities.”
This is a great opportunity to make a lasting moment. Go Hoosiers!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
Until we see Wisconsin in December (the Big Ten Championship game);):)..., (t) ohio $tate will be the most talented team we play..., so how do we go about Winning against them?

In my opinion, it will take both extreme focus and inspired play on both sides of the ball.

Since it's the Big Ten opener for both teams we won't get the gift of being "overlooked" or not taken seriously...

We'll get their best shot, so here's hoping our guys are ready to give them ours.

I'm hoping to see consistent execution on offense, with some explosive plays mixed in; a near perfect kicking game; and a ferocious, swarming D, with textbook tackling and 3-4 takeaways (while constantly harassing and hammering their QB all game long...

Should be a good one...!

Corso used to have a stock answer when asked what it would take to beat OSU or Michigan....to paraphrase a bit, he'd say 'We'll need to play our best game, they'll need to play their worst game'. It might not even have been true back then. Now its pretty accurate.

Talking about what IU has to do is missing 50% of the point. Even if IU plays its best game of the year by far, OSU will need to exhibit some combination of over-confidence, boredom, distraction, confusion, choking.

10% chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT