ADVERTISEMENT

What offense will we see in '23?

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
I expect a lot of run-heavy RPO. 75% run 25% pass. I can see a few read-option plays to keep the D honest but not to the extent that risks our QBs. QB runs maybe 5-10 times, max. 3 RBs get 40+ carries per game total . Gone are the days of 40-50 attempts per game with the QB throwing 15-20, max. Passing plays are mostly slants shallow crosses with a few deep balls.

I expect a lot of run-heavy RPO. 75% run 25% pass. I can see a few read-option plays to keep the D honest but not to the extent that risks our QBs. QB runs maybe 5-10 times, max. 3 RBs get 40+ carries per game total . Gone are the days of 40-50 attempts per game with the QB throwing 15-20, max. Passing plays are mostly slants shallow crosses with a few deep balls.
don't forget play-action passing

study andy reid's offense. or kyle shanahan's for that matter. those guys know how to get their playmakers in a position to make plays and let them do the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: IU73
Hopefully that is what they do! It will allow our receivers to get open and make for some big plays.

Hope so. We seem pretty adept at drawing defenders into the box but not so much at making them pay for it.

Reactions: IU73
study andy reid's offense. or kyle shanahan's for that matter. those guys know how to get their playmakers in a position to make plays and let them do the rest.
It helps to have a QB like Reid does......

It's all about the QB today. If you ain't got one, you gonna lose.

Reactions: td75 and vesuvius13
What team do you know that wins without a good QB?
Oregon State's QB averaged 150 ypg and they won 10 games and and are ranked. He also beat Nolan for the job.

I know it's the West but Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue and Minnesota have gone bowling recently with mediocre QBs.

Louisville won 8 games passing 205 ypg.

It has been and will continue to be possible.

Oregon State's QB averaged 150 ypg and they won 10 games and and are ranked. He also beat Nolan for the job.

I know it's the West but Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue and Minnesota have gone bowling recently with mediocre QBs.

Louisville won 8 games passing 205 ypg.

It has been and will continue to be possible.
Like you said, it's the West.

Passing numbers don't mean a QB is good.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Just as Williams showed a new QB without experience can make a big difference but unfortunately, we only saw a short time with him. If coach Bostad can build on what Carey did with the OL IU will have a very good running game to help our new QB.

Sounds like the Illinois game all over again except when the Hoosiers went to 100% pass on the last drive of the game.

Just as Williams showed a new QB without experience can make a big difference but unfortunately, we only saw a short time with him. If coach Bostad can build on what Carey did with the OL IU will have a very good running game to help our new QB.
What do you consider to be Coach Bistad’s biggest strengths as an O line coach?

Nope. Like I said, you don't always need a Stud QB.
Yes, you do need a good QB, which is what I said. You've tried to deflect by arguing you don't need a great QB. I didn't say great - I said good.

I expect we will see a lot more running. Bell has never thrown the ball as much as he did last year and I think it was a function of the offensive line being useless. I loved what our replacement line coach brought and hopefully Bostad can build on that.
Couldn't have stated it better.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Yes, you do need a good QB, which is what I said. You've tried to deflect by arguing you don't need a great QB. I didn't say great - I said good.
I'm not deflecting. This was my original post:

You don't always have to have a Stud QB. You just need a system that plays to his strengths and minimizes their weaknesses.
I'm not sure where you saw the word "great". You seem to have made that up or were confused with someone else.

I'm not deflecting. This was my original post:

I'm not sure where you saw the word "great". You seem to have made that up or were confused with someone else.
You used the word 'stud'. The point is, I only said we needed a 'good' QB. Not a 'stud'.

I don't know how anyone could argue we don't need a good QB to win. I think we've proved that over the years.

You used the word 'stud'. The point is, I only said we needed a 'good' QB. Not a 'stud'.

I don't know how anyone could argue we don't need a good QB to win. I think we've proved that over the years.
I've never argued we don't need a good QB. I said we don't need a Stud QB and provided examples of teams that went bowling with mediocre QBs. Stop reading things I never typed just so you can have a excuse to get angry.

Until Shivers had that long TD run, he was in the 3 range when it comes to YPC.

Henderson was much more effective overall. And if you think Shivers could pass block, I suggest you go back and watch again.
Actually, Henderson had a longer run than Shivers (44 vs 24), so Henderson's long run effected his avg more than
Shivers long run did.
I said that Henderson didn't play as much because he was a poor pass blocker - which he was. Shivers wasn't great, but better than JH

Actually, Henderson had a longer run than Shivers (44 vs 24), so Henderson's long run effected his avg more than
Shivers long run did.
I said that Henderson didn't play as much because he was a poor pass blocker - which he was. Shivers wasn't great, but better than JH
Agreed. And if we go to a run first offense, we won't need to pass block 40-50 times a game.

I've never argued we don't need a good QB. I said we don't need a Stud QB and provided examples of teams that went bowling with mediocre QBs. Stop reading things I never typed just so you can have a excuse to get angry.
lol OK..... you were arguing with me after I said we needed a good QB to win.

Who disagrees with that?

You're arguing with yourself.

Shivers long run did.
Shivers had TD runs of 79 and 47 vs. Michigan St. and Cincinnati.

Reactions: midwolfe and DANC
It's no use arguing with anyone who thinks Shivers deserved to get more PT than Henderson.
Shivers as much better in pass pro, which is a huge deal in three and four wide sets like we run. O Coordinators and RB coaches value that, as do quarterbacks who are constantly under pressure due to inconsistent O line play.

Reactions: baileyiu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT