ADVERTISEMENT

What it comes down to

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
We take bad shots. Smith had a runner that he just threw towards the basket. We missed other point blank shots because we are afraid of using the backboard. One TJD shot was taken as he was bumped on the release. Had he used the glass the ball could have still gone in. Instead, the ball hit off the rim. I had a perfect view from my seat.

Devonte likes to add a degree of difficulty by fading left, right, or away from the basket. Runners without using the glass aren't easy. But instead of a runner, square up and take a good shot. I took a picture that is rare. The picture is of Race squaring up and shooting the ball correctly from 4 feet. He made it. It wasn't a jump hook runner, but an old fashioned jump shot.

The worst offenders are Smith and Green. I believe they are also our most selfish players. Instead of passing or taking a good shot under control, they would rather force a shot that requires perfect timing and calculating the release point as the distance to the basket is constantly changing. The shot can be made easier if the angle allows use of the backboard. In their rush to take the shot, they take what they can get and hope it somehow goes in.

I don't know how Archie addresses bad shooting choices or technique during video study. If he isn't pointing it out, it won't get better. I'm hoping he is pointing it out and a few are hard headed and not getting it. Those will eventually move on. Time will tell.

We take bad shots. Smith had a runner that he just threw towards the basket. We missed other point blank shots because we are afraid of using the backboard. One TJD shot was taken as he was bumped on the release. Had he used the glass the ball could have still gone in. Instead, the ball hit off the rim. I had a perfect view from my seat.

Devonte likes to add a degree of difficulty by fading left, right, or away from the basket. Runners without using the glass aren't easy. But instead of a runner, square up and take a good shot. I took a picture that is rare. The picture is of Race squaring up and shooting the ball correctly from 4 feet. He made it. It wasn't a jump hook runner, but an old fashioned jump shot.

The worst offenders are Smith and Green. I believe they are also our most selfish players. Instead of passing or taking a good shot under control, they would rather force a shot that requires perfect timing and calculating the release point as the distance to the basket is constantly changing. The shot can be made easier if the angle allows use of the backboard. In their rush to take the shot, they take what they can get and hope it somehow goes in.

I don't know how Archie addresses bad shooting choices or technique during video study. If he isn't pointing it out, it won't get better. I'm hoping he is pointing it out and a few are hard headed and not getting it. Those will eventually move on. Time will tell.
Isn’t it amazing that the better shots that you take the much better shooting percentage you have?

Isn’t it amazing that the better shots that you take the much better shooting percentage you have?
Humor me for a moment. Let's say Justin Smith transfers. Combine that with Devonte Green being out the door, and that's the two selfish players on the roster being gone. Ideally, that would lead to consistent quality shots and more intelligent basketball. One can dream...

Coaching (or a lack thereof) tends to have an impact on shot selection. That’s an obvious shortcoming that still hasn’t been addressed.
Ok, Ordfan, what exactly SHOULD have Archie done the last 6 minutes when we were up 7?

Ok, Ordfan, what exactly SHOULD have Archie done the last 6 minutes when we were up 7?

Ah, another weak and ignorant shot from you. The “Ordfan” ridiculousness. How typically uninformed of you. And Miller’s failures occurred well before the last seven minutes of the game. It’s about having zero consequences for players who do what they want rather than what works best for the team. They do what they want and tune Miller out. You don’t understand because you don’t know the game. That’s why you have such lowered expectations for the program . . . you don’t know any better.

Ah, another weak and ignorant shot from you. The “Ordfan” ridiculousness. How typically uninformed of you. And Miller’s failures occurred well before the last seven minutes of the game. It’s about having zero consequences for players who do what they want rather than what works best for the team. They do what they want and tune Miller out. You don’t understand because you don’t know the game. That’s why you have such lowered expectations for the program . . . you don’t know any better.
Didn’t think you’d provide anything of substance. Usual flapping of your jowls.

It's amazing that the flagship school in the state of indiana couldn't recruit a single shooter during his entire tenure thus far.

Didn’t think you’d provide anything of substance. Usual flapping of your jowls.
And, as usual, you have no answers or insight whatsoever. None. I provided an answer that basketball people clearly understand. You’re not a basketball person, you’re simply an empty troll who looks stupid for continuing to excuse poor play. That’s what lowered expectations are all about.

He won't address it, it's him, not them. He's going to get fired eventually (this year or next) and then it will be addressed, yeah, we're supposed to just keep heads in sand until his buyout makes sense. Everybody knows the drill. If he had any conscience, he'd resign, but I don't think he will, so F him

Last edited:
Reads like word salad to me. That's what you get here all too often.
Tasmanian is a great pretender when it comes to hoops. When he wasn’t aware of why nearly every coach tracks deflections and, more importantly, why, he got exposed. It’s why he always bails when the discussions get deeper than a puddle.

Tasmanian is a great pretender when it comes to hoops. When he wasn’t aware of why nearly every coach tracks deflections and, more importantly, why, he got exposed. It’s why he always bails when the discussions get deeper than a puddle.
Deflections . . . Sure, THAT’S they key to a great defense!

YDS

Reactions: hondo314
Deflections . . . Sure, THAT’S they key to a great defense!

YDS
And you’re the guy who had to admit you didn’t realize every coach charts them in one form or fashion. You literally didn’t understand that it was going on or, more importantly, why. You got exposed. You settle for less because you don’t know any better.

And you’re the guy who had to admit you didn’t realize every coach charts them in one form or fashion. You literally didn’t understand that it was going on or, more importantly, why. You got exposed. You settle for less because you don’t know any better.
Do a lot of coaches chart deflections? Yes.

Only Crean counts deflections in a manner that defies all logic. That you don’t understand that is not surprising.

Do a lot of coaches chart deflections? Yes.

Only Crean counts deflections in a manner that defies all logic. That you don’t understand that is not surprising.
You didn’t know any coaches charted them, and you didn’t know the reasons why. You had no idea. That had to be explained to you. You got exposed as a novice and a pretender the second you admitted that.

The point is a little more discipline and awareness of what a good shot is would improve our shooting. Getting Green to go up straight and stopping Smith from taking runners and jump hooks would allow others to take shots with a better chance of scoring. TJD and Brunk could stand taking extra shots off the glass with a manager pounding them in the ribs with blocking pads.

Ok, which SHOOTER from the state should he have gotten?
Aren't there two open scholarships unused for this season? Shooters/players don't necessarily have to be local. In fact, that is way overblown. In my opinion, state talent is not as good as it used to be. Of course it may be cyclical in that regard, but shooters/snipers have more of a chance to be from another state due to the numbers/population game. Some of our fans seem to have an overblown entitlement that Indiana high schools are the only avenue to grab such talent and skills. The rest of the country has caught up and then some, just like the rest of the world did, as can be seen by the number of foreign players in the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT